Yugoslavian M76 Rifle - why so expensive, and rare?

PDA

Golden Hound
October 17, 2008, 12:45 AM
J&G Sales has a Yugo M76 D.M.R. rifle which as I understand it is not much different mechanically from a PSL except it's in 8mm. But they seem much rarer, and they're also much more expensive. The PSL is 749 and the M76 is 1000 more. That's a lot more! I have to say I like the LOOK of the M76, and I bet I'd have people asking what it was every single time I took it to the range. Beyond that, is it a better rifle than the PSL? Why don't you see these things very often?

What wars were these things used in? And also, why is it in 8mm?

http://san1.atlanta.gbhinc.com/GB/113166000/113166838/pix426961609.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Yugoslavian M76 Rifle - why so expensive, and rare?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Beagle-zebub
October 17, 2008, 01:56 AM
Well, I think it's expensive because it's rare.

The reason that it is 8mm is that Yugoslavia ended up not being aligned with the Soviet Bloc, so they were free to adopt the superior 7.92x57 instead of 7.62x54r; on top of that, they probably had a ton of Axis surplus and machinery from their presence in the Second World War, and likely from the captured supplies that their one-time Soviet buddies would have been inclined to give them during the friendlier times.

It is most definitely a cool rifle. If they cost a quarter as much (which would be a reasonable price), I would be all over it. As it stands, though, they are pricier as surplus than is a new AR15, M1A, FAL, Garand, G3 (wherever you find those nowadays) or whichever other high-quality battle- or defanged assault-rifle a person might have their eye on.

Golden Hound
October 17, 2008, 02:03 AM
I've never even seen one of these in a MOVIE.

It would be the center of conversation at the range during the cease fires!

If I only had the cash on hand...

Ash
October 17, 2008, 07:30 AM
The worst thing is that they all came in and were sold as complete rifles. They were expensive because they were rare as these were in the second batch that ever came in (Mitchell's being the first). The owners got them and were tickled pink that they had a real deal M76.

And then the ATF showed up. They all had the safety sear hole and, like the PSL, were considered a machine gun. The ATF, mind you, allowed their importation, but then changed their minds and folks found an agent at their doors, hands out, demanding the rifle. No reimbursement, just sorry guy, your screwed out of more than a grand. Some folks broke the rifles down and surrendered only the receiver. Others, taken off guard, may have been lucky to save only the scope. The rest that were not shipped had to be destroyed.

These that are on the market now are the rebuilt ruins of those destroyed rifles. I say ruin but don't mean the parts are unsafe. The only thing destroyed were the receivers. The receivers on them now are US made ones.

Ash

HomeGuard
June 26, 2009, 01:28 PM
He's right.

Original M76,like mine,has hidden full-auto capability between
"fire" and "safe" position,only difference between this gun and AK47 is that
M76 doesn't have a marked notch in the middle.
But this is used only as last ditch effort in close combat combined with special SP lighter ammo,when sniper is surrounded.
It is virtually impossible to control 8mm in full-auto and very,very few people know about that,only some ex-yugo special forces and gunsmiths.
That,and because they are just too many of them here,it is only full-auto rifle tolerated by our law.

You can normally own one of these in my country and they aren't expensive
at all,you can find one in great shape for 500.

They were use in our war for independence against Serbian aggression by
the all sides.Has proven to be one of the best rifles in our war.
It can be used as an designated marksman rifle(like M21) up to 400m,which was,because the lack of knowledge,used primary in this role or it can be used like sniper rifle up to 1200m.
Good examples are acceptable of sub-MOA accuracy.

Aggressor used to burn all the charts and manuals for this rifle
so most of our troops used it as an DM rifle.

I am lucky to have one of that "top secret"(well,at least it used to be top secret) manual with all the charts.

Word of advice;Barrel is NOT CHROME LINED!!!
After the shooting wash it with some kind of water based cleaner like ammonia,rinse up with straight water(or simply some kind of old military "detergent oil") and than with a Hoppes 9.

If you don't do that,say goodbye to the barrel very soon.

Onmilo
June 26, 2009, 02:59 PM
Not to mention these rifles are build on forged steel receivers, not stamped such as the PSL.
Seperate gas piston assembly.
Hammer forged barrel screw assembled to the trunnion, not press fit and pinned.
These are much closer in operation to the Russian SVD rifle only better.

The M76 is what the German G43 rifle should have been.

They are rare in the USA because they were ungodley expensive for the time they were being imported, something like $1200 if I remember correctly and there just wasn't enough actual demand to import large numbers.

Ian
June 26, 2009, 03:24 PM
I've handled and disassembled an M76 side by side with a PSL, and the M76 is by far the nicer gun. It's far more along the lines of a .308 Valmet than a PSL.

Jeremy2171
June 26, 2009, 04:23 PM
Most of the ones that are left are now in Iraq in the hands of the Iraqi Army.

If you enjoyed reading about "Yugoslavian M76 Rifle - why so expensive, and rare?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!