keeping moisture out of gun safe??

PDA

poor man
October 17, 2008, 11:48 AM
Morning yall, i have a gun/fire safe for my long guns (and shelves for hand guns) anyway How do i keep moisture out of it? it doesnt have any kind of seal on the door (not that i can hear, it sounds metal on metal) i have thrown every "silacon" pack i come accross in there but i still little spots of rust on some of the old guns that dont have any bluing on them. any home remedies to keep out moisture ? thanks

PS: my good guns are fine its the old ones i have left of my dads that went through a fire that are rusting :(

If you enjoyed reading about "keeping moisture out of gun safe??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Griz44
October 17, 2008, 11:56 AM
Use a heater bar and a can of desiccant. Both are available at your local sporting goods store...
Keeping your guns oiled helps a bunch as well. No bare metal without oil!

Schofield3
October 17, 2008, 12:13 PM
There are a few good options for keeping moisture out of safes, doing a search on yahoo or such should give you some ideas, I found this web site:http://www.safeaccessories.net/dehumification.htm :D

The Bushmaster
October 17, 2008, 12:31 PM
I was keeping a Closet dehumidifier. Decided to try one of those Goldenrods. Out of curiosity I put the Closet dehumidifier in with it. I collect justas much water in it now with the Goldenrod as I did without it. Have e-mailed Goldenrod to find out why. Still waiting

Best bet...Keep your guns well oiled and wipe them down often and keep a Closet Dehumidifier (that's what they call them and you can get them at Wally World) in the safe...

Sam Adams
October 17, 2008, 12:38 PM
I've used a Goldenrod, the job of which is to heat the air a bit to facilitate movement of air.

Plus lube the guns well with a good rust preventative.

Plus plus the guns in some kind of gun sack that contains a vapor barrier.

IOW, use multiple layers. No one thing is perfect (except, perhaps, a place of guaranteed zero humidity - and good luck being able to afford to build or buy something like that). Using multiple layers helps because the chance of rust starting and spreading is reduced to near zero. More layers = more protection.

RONSTAR
October 17, 2008, 05:02 PM
silica

owlhoot
October 17, 2008, 07:35 PM
I've used the "Golden Rod" for many years in my #1 safe. It my #2 safe I just use a small can of desiccant. I've never had any rust on the guns protected by the Goldenrod. I did find rust on some of the guns protected with desiccant. Plus 1 on keeping the surfaces wiped down with a film of oil.

Hk91-762mm
October 17, 2008, 07:49 PM
I read the whole thread them went back to see your location =I lived in Union SC for 2 years and Every thing I owned rusted like it was coated with salt-100miles inland.So humid the grass was wet at 11 am and we had no rain for days !! Winter was fine ,I loved the gun laws, But It was so humid .
I suggest you try placing a 25w appliance bulb in your safe to keep the humidity down to where it wont condense on the guns

357sigRog
October 18, 2008, 01:05 AM
I have always used the golden rod and have been real lucky with that. No rust in the several years I have had the safe.

32winspl
October 18, 2008, 02:41 AM
I have a Liberty 25 cubic foot Lincoln safe (rsc) with a Golden Rod dehumidifier in it. Yes, I do oil my firearms after cleaning them. Even if I haven't shot the gun during the year, everything gets cleaned/oiled over the winter.
I live in North Central Wisconsin. We can have wide fluctuations of humidity here... ranging from that of Memphis in the Summertime (briefly) to (in Wintertime, after the local lakes and rivers freeze over) to that of any desert. Even with those firearms that I might not even shoot in any given year, they get their once-every-winter cleaning and oiling. With the Goldenrod, I've never seen so much as even a spot of rust. I just now opened my safe. The Goldenrod is a little too hot to hold comfortably. I have two combination temp/humidity/barometric pressure guages... one inside, and one outside. The temp inside reads maybe 2 degrees warmer than the one on the top (outside). The hydrometer guages read identically, as do the Pressure guages. Evidently, the temperature differential makes the difference. The inside temperature being slightly higher than the outside temperature seems to make all the difference. If at any time, the inside temp should fall below the outside temp, I'm guessing that moisture could condense on the guns. (Immagine that your rifle is outside in the cold. You bring your cold gun into your warm house or hunting camp. Just like your favorite ice-cold beverage brought into a warm room, the moisture in the warm room would condense on the cold firearm (or cold glass).
I may not know the physics of the question very well, but apparently, the small temperature differential between the inside and the outside of the safe is sufficient to keep the moisture in the air from condensing on my guns. I may not understand all this really well, but using the goldenrod really does keep my guns from rusting... well, that and the fact that they're cleaned and oiled at least annually.
Years ago, when living in Memphis, my Dad's and my guns were stored in my Folks Closet. Even oiled several times per year, My Ithaca Mod 37 Featherlite managed to become mildly pitted with rust. That hasn't become any kind of problem whatsoever since being stored in my rsc with the goldenrod. I don't know what it costs to operate the gr 24/7 but it isn't much. If you're inclined to use an electric bulb in your safe, I'll bet you can get by with a small Christmas (7 or 9 watt ) bulb. (the old type bulbs, not the mini-lights.)

I work at an Auto-Parts store; not a safe company or for Goldenrod.
32 winspl

don
October 18, 2008, 04:23 PM
Prestone makes a product called DRIVEWAY HEAT. It is used to melt snow. It is calcium chloride and is a super dessicant. Put some in a coffee can place in safe and I'll guarentee you it will take water out of the air. When it liquifies dump it and put more in the can. It is fairly cheap at auto parts stores. I use it in containers in which I store my cameras. My cameras cost a bunch more than most guns. If your container is air tight, the resulting humidity will make the Sahara desert seem like a rain forest.

no_problem
October 18, 2008, 04:31 PM
You don't want to keep all of the moisture out of your safe, That would dry up any wood you have contained within. What you want to do is manage the moisture content inside the safe.

I would imagine, based on the OP, that you have excessive moisture. Moisture content would be a function of the temperature. So the easiest way to accomplish humidity management goal would be to control the moisture content. This calls for a strategy of baselining your moisture level first so you can manage the humidity level. I think there is a device called a Hydrometer, that you can install in your safe to indicate the humidity in the safe. That would be your first step.

Once you have the baseline, you can install goldenrods/dessicant combination in your safe until you get the optimum humidity level, that is a level where you don't have excessive rusting, but the air is not so dry that you dry out your wood stocks. Goldenrods install at the bottom of the safe, heats the air, and then the warmer air circulates through the safe. Be aware of too much warm air may cause too dry a condition. Some of the wood stocks I have in my safe are as old as 80 to 100 years old, and I would not want to stress the woods any more than needed. Too much warm dry air would accelerate drying of the wood.

japaneezy
October 18, 2008, 10:36 PM
I work as a computer tech, so everytime i get a new part in for a customer's computer, it comes with a bag of silica gel beads. I have a whole crap load so i throw half in my gun safe and the other half in my camera bags. Helps alot especially since i live in Hawaii.

dcherry
July 27, 2010, 11:13 PM
Rice.

I put a burlap bag of rice in my safe and when it gets wet I toss it in the compost. If you ever get your cell phone wet place it in a ziplock bag with a handfull of rice and the rice will suck the water out of the phone.

Zack
July 27, 2010, 11:14 PM
hooow did you find this thread, that is almost two years old......

dcherry
July 27, 2010, 11:17 PM
it came up in a search. I like to search old post before I post a new topic.

brboyer
July 27, 2010, 11:39 PM
First, a Goldenrod does not reduce humidity levels, it simply raises the temperature inside a couple degrees above ambient. This prevents condensation on the metal inside, that's all.

You can get a good sized rechargeable desiccant, recharge it as necessary.

You can also get a VPCI emitter: http://www.bull-frog.com/products/#emitters

Shadow 7D
July 28, 2010, 01:36 AM
Silica kitty litter
larger than descant
cheaper too

alsaqr
July 28, 2010, 06:43 AM
Both of my gun safes have had Goldenrods for many years. My guns have gone unattended for periods as long as two years while I worked overseas; including my 26 antique Winchesters.

Clean and lube your guns well and use a Goldenrod; you will have no problem with rust.

TimRB
July 28, 2010, 09:56 AM
BTW, if you want to check out the Goldenrod idea without actually springing for one you can put a lamp with a low-wattage (15-25W) bulb in your safe and it will do the same thing.

Tim

tuckerdog1
July 28, 2010, 02:14 PM
http://evadry.reachlocal.net/products.html

I picked up the E500. Haven't had it long enough to give a personal review. But read plenty on Amazon. Seems to be well liked.

The on line price might be a tad high. I found it locally at a vacuum cleaner repair place for about $25.

Tuckerdog1

Zack
July 28, 2010, 02:20 PM
http://www.cabelas.com/p-0034792227686a.shtml

Mac's Precision
July 28, 2010, 02:28 PM
Search google for "Eezox". Use gun scrubber and remove any and all of your previous inferior rust protection. Apply Eezox to the now oil stripped steel as per the instructions. I think you will discover your rust issue will be totally resolved in spite of your swamp like conditions.

I have been testing Eezox outside in some rather swampy conditions. It has yet to fail to protect after just one application. I am 8 days into the current test on a piece of sheet steel that was heavily sanded with 80 grit paper to encourage a "tooth" to start the rust process. I marked out two patches on the plate and applied Corrosion X in one spot..and Eezox in the other. Thus far Eezox hasn't failed. Up till now I thought Corrosion X was the best....Seems that the Eezox is in fact superior.

I will be changing my recomendations on my website to reflect this new found knowledge.

Cheers
Mac.

Steve 48
July 28, 2010, 03:49 PM
I use silica and a Golden Rod for my safe and does a great job in keeping my firearms in good condition.

paradox998
July 28, 2010, 11:36 PM
+1 for sililcia kitty litter. You make your own desicant packs for a few cents. You can also recharge them in a 230 degree oven for a couple of hours just like the expensive desicant packs. Buy some muslin bags and fill with silica litter. That's all there is to it. I bought a few humdred bags on ebay for a couple of cents each.

pharmer
July 29, 2010, 12:05 AM
I have a goldenrod in a 30 cu' safe on continuous duty since '87. No rust,mold etc. This is in the swamp called Florida. Heaters push moisture out of a safe, desiccants pull moisture in. Joe

Shadow 7D
July 29, 2010, 03:03 AM
Heater don't 'push' moisture out of the safe, rather buy increasing the temperature, you decrease the relative humidty (the warmer the air, the more moisture it can hold) You can do the same thing in a safe with a 40watt incandescent (actually it might be 20, I forget) and you get l light, secondly, if your seal is half way decent, you should maintain a low humidity with silica.

my .02

JohnBT
July 29, 2010, 07:32 AM
I've never seen a gun safe with a good seal on the door; they're expanding seals that are heat activated. Do the refrigerator door seal test - close the safe door on a dollar bill and see how easily it pulls out. That 1/16 or 1/32 of an inch gap multiplied by the length of the crack adds up to many square inches.

A GoldenRod is all that I've ever found to be necessary. Light bulbs burn out too often and I have one safe in an unfinished, old, damp, damp basement. I tried dessicants - a big box and a tub of the stuff - but they saturated in a matter of days.

John

alohachris
July 29, 2010, 07:56 AM
Move to Utah.

There were 0.005 water molecules in the atmosphere when i arrived here, but I used them all up during my nosebleeds.

heeler
July 29, 2010, 08:27 AM
I use the Eva-Dry 500 on one of the middle shelves and the Remington 365(which is made by Eva-Dry) on the floor of my Amsec BF 66X36.
I have to recharge the 500 about every two weeks.
I am going to replace the 365 as it is only good for about three days before it needs recharging.
When I bought the Remington 365 at Ganders(and paid way too much for it,order online!!) it was in the sealed package but the crystals were already brown and needed a 12 hour charge before I used in the safe which may be the reason it only lasts for three days between charges.
It was probably on their shelf for years before it was sold is my belief.
No rust on my guns.

If you enjoyed reading about "keeping moisture out of gun safe??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!