My Thread from yesterday is gone, why?

PDA

Noebb
October 17, 2008, 12:20 PM
A Thread I started yesterday here in this form is gone, why?

The content was a basic question about moderators and members here. It was a question about the state of what appears to be a divided community (.org/.us) . And a follow up question asking about other good online communities.

Is it normal practice here to delete or remove threads here without providing reason/notification to the original poster?

Maybe it was an accidental delete????

Is there a way to get the info from the first 4-5 reply to me? There was some decent info in there that i did not save locally and I'm pretty sure that those posts did not have anything questionable or offensive in any way.

Thanks,

If you enjoyed reading about "My Thread from yesterday is gone, why?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Noebb
October 17, 2008, 12:41 PM
This was the original post... Was/is there something offensive in it that warrants a delete?

the title was:

Question new to forum... need recommendation: thehightroad.org and thehighroad.us ?

--Please don't turn this into a '.us' VS '.org' this is just a question about the current situation. (the same post is/will be in each forum)--

I just joined both forums... (.org first)

I've been lurking for sometime and,

I really don't care about the battle between .us and .org But I do want to be a member of a community that has apparently been split in two, that may be 1/2 as good as it was a few weeks ago.

So, My question to the moderator(s) is:

Are you and other members frequenting each of the forums .us and .org or is the conflict so great that most members are picking a side and abandoning part of the community? Or are many participating in each until things are resolved?

I plan on frequenting at each .us and .org but wonder if it is worth making the same post on each of the forums. (reason for this post)

And... Last but not least, are there other forums on with the same subject that you can recommend that have high quality members as this(these) forums do?

-if someone dose decide to remove this thread, please send e-mail/PM with answer-

Thanks,

ilbob
October 17, 2008, 12:44 PM
perhaps it was considered inappropriate for the nature of the forum it was posted in.

generally, discussion about other forums is heavily discouraged.

discussion about the thr situation is also heavily discouraged.

i would bet this thread gets deleted eventually.

Noebb
October 17, 2008, 12:55 PM
That is interesting.

To me, a new member, the thread had everything to do with this forum.

Maybe I should not have asked about additional quality forums but that was a real question and on the subject of the overall forum.

However, if there is a problem talking about other online communities I would expect some sort of a notification of such by staff. Perhaps a lock rather than a delete???

ilbob
October 17, 2008, 12:57 PM
perhaps the mods are too busy to send pms to every one whose thread or post was deleted.

i have had a number of posts deleted and never got a pm about them.

OTOH, I got a PM once warning me about a post that for the life of me I could not figure out what the objection was.

Mrs. Armoredman
October 17, 2008, 12:58 PM
I am sorry to hear your thread was deleted. I like this board too. Send a mod a pm and ask.

Exmasonite
October 17, 2008, 03:14 PM
I can understand "locking" a thread but completely deleting it... that's a slippery slope towards censorship.

I can understand and agree with the mods' feeling that this is an internal matter that has no business being aired publicly in the forum. But i think the "lock" should always be used and not the "delete".

If there are members who want to perpetually "stir the pot" than warnings and temporary (progressing to permanent) bans are more appropriate than deleting public posts.

Just my $.02 as a member trying to avoid the "trouble" and keep it high road.

saltydog452
October 17, 2008, 03:35 PM
Yeah, mine was deleted also. Don't know who did the deed, or why.

I don't guess it'll matter in the long run. If someone is all bent out of shape, a simple ' g'morning...whatsup?' might be enough to start a hissie fit.

salty

ilbob
October 17, 2008, 04:02 PM
If there are members who want to perpetually "stir the pot" than warnings and temporary (progressing to permanent) bans are more appropriate than deleting public posts.
as I understand it, the only bans are permanent ones.

hso
October 17, 2008, 04:37 PM
dunno, but here' the page for RKBA activist groups.

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=292484

Noebb
October 17, 2008, 04:42 PM
hso,

Thank you.

Art Eatman
October 19, 2008, 08:09 PM
From the FWIW department: Sometimes an on-topic thread starts out just fine. Rational discussion. But, there are those times when more posters vent and rant than there are those who discuss. Snark and sarcasm enter in.

If it's bad enough, the thread disappears from the forum. Others are merely closed. I 99% of the time give a reason; closing without comment is a rarity.

R. Deckard
October 19, 2008, 11:19 PM
I have not been following the ".org" and ".us" situation but went over to the ".us" site today and my same user name and password got me in. How did that happen?

BullfrogKen
October 19, 2008, 11:23 PM
No one really knows. Oleg does, but he isn't telling. Perhaps you might want to ask him.

ChrisVV
October 20, 2008, 04:33 AM
You ever read 1984? Maybe Winston did it.

If you enjoyed reading about "My Thread from yesterday is gone, why?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!