changing a sig pistol from a da/sa to a dao?

PDA

sinistr
October 17, 2008, 04:13 PM
can this be done?

If you enjoyed reading about "changing a sig pistol from a da/sa to a dao?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rjk2475
October 17, 2008, 04:19 PM
if it's a sig pro

rellascout
October 17, 2008, 04:27 PM
You can change it to DAK

AK103K
October 17, 2008, 08:22 PM
I have a P245 that was changed from DA to DAO by the previous owner. Dont know if SIG did it or not. I was lucky enough to get the original parts in the box when I bought it and I swapped them back, as I prefer the gun in the standard DA mode to keep things simple.

The DAO trigger was very nice, but it was not a DAK trigger. I'd have to go look around for the parts, but I believe it was just a hammer/trigger swap. Of course, I had to put the decocker back too, when I switched it back. The DAO didnt use it.

sinistr
October 18, 2008, 10:06 AM
thanks for all your responses. i have an older 226 that i was thinking of converting to dak .i wll report back wth results.

Crazy Fingers
October 18, 2008, 01:10 PM
Just wondering why you would want to do this?

Harley Quinn
October 18, 2008, 01:21 PM
Tests have shown that it is safer. In days of old when we shot revolvers (LAPD) they went to DAO and it was proven to be much safer. The folks during that period of time had to have their revolvers "denutted" as we would say:) On and off duty if you carried off duty own revolver it had to be done.

Really is interesting because now they are carring Glocks, which out of the holster are pretty easy to shoot accidently ;)

Lafeswede
October 18, 2008, 05:07 PM
Greetings,
If your considerations of changing to DAO are for legal reasons only, disregard what's below. If not: why would anyone try to diminish the performance of a gun? If there is a possibility to shoot better with more trigger pull, I am yet to see it. The general mechanics of accurate shooting is simply that the lighter the pull, the better the accuracy. Of course, hairpin pulls are dangerous, but a sensible balance meets most demands. As a PD (LAPD) was indicated in this thread, I will admit that my experience is limited in this area. However, proper training is always the most important issue. For competition in my country, anything above a .22LR must have a minimum trigger pull of abt 3lbs. This is pretty light, but easily managed in a safe way, if you are used to it. Doesn't everybody say: keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot?
Just my 50 (euro) cents.
Sail safe
Lafeswede

AK103K
October 18, 2008, 05:40 PM
I actually shoot tighter groups with most guns in DA than I do in SA, and my SIG's are no different. The only reason I swapped mine back, was because all my other SIG's are stock, DA pistols, and it keeps things simple if they are all the same.

With a little practice, shooting well in DA is no more difficult than it is in SA, and once your used to it, I think you'll be surprised by the results. I learned this quite a few years ago shooting big bore DA revolvers with heavy recoil. It doesnt take long for the recoil to wear on you and you start anticipating the shot breaking, especially with a light trigger. With the heavier DA trigger, you have to concentrate on your sights and holding the alignment while you stroke the trigger, and the let off is more of the "surprise" its supposed to be. My groups quickly shrank once I started shooting this way, and I soon cut off the hammer spurs and SA notches on most all my revolvers and shot DAO with them from then on. When I switched from a 1911 to a DA SIG, the DA trigger was no big deal. SA is no big deal either, nor is the supposedly "dreaded" transition between the two, or at least, it never was for me. Safety wise, as I just decock with my off thumb, each time I lower to ready.

sinistr
October 18, 2008, 06:03 PM
on a carry pistol i prefer no external safety,hammer,decocker etc.and a consistant trigger pull is a must.i usually carry a p7 or glock,i've had ths pistol for years and was going to trade it for a newer sig with a rail and a dao or dak trigger,but that would cost me .so that had me thinking of converting this one.

havoc7usmc
October 18, 2008, 06:59 PM
Check the year your SIG was made before you buy the parts, as far as converting to the DAK your gun would need to have been made after 2005.

If you enjoyed reading about "changing a sig pistol from a da/sa to a dao?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!