Which Bolt, Bolt Carrier and Charging Handle For AR?

PDA

Phydeaux642
October 17, 2008, 06:46 PM
I have a CMMG lower with a DPMS parts kit and a RRA adjustable stock. A guy I work with has an upper without the BCG and charging handle. It is a 16" Colt barrel and I think I can get it for $175 but I need the rest of the parts. What should I be looking for and where should I get it? Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which Bolt, Bolt Carrier and Charging Handle For AR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Timradcliffe345
October 17, 2008, 07:36 PM
Only two BCGs that I would use: BCM or LMT.

Get them at www.bravocompanyusa.com. They have the charging handles as well.

Onmilo
October 17, 2008, 08:38 PM
Brownells has Colt, DPMS, and High Standard bolts, carriers, and charging handles.

I like the High Standard stuff much better than the DPMS stuff.
Except for splurging on Colt bolts, I avoid the rest of their offerings as they are simply priced too high.
http://www.brownells.com

Gary G23
October 18, 2008, 08:57 PM
The only bolt carrier groups I use are from BCM, LMT, or CMT. If I get a CMT I will get it from someone that properly stakes the gas key, like Global Tactical or JTAC. Considering the modest increase in price between total junk and the good stuff I can't see not buying one of the above.

The only charging handles I use are from CMT or LMT.

ArmedBear
October 18, 2008, 09:47 PM
Is there really a meaningful difference between charging handles?

Gary G23
October 18, 2008, 11:53 PM
Some charging handles are machined from forgings. Some charging handles are extrusions.

Onmilo
October 19, 2008, 03:33 PM
And some charging handles are made from stampings.

If I can get them all gathered up, I will try to post a picture for visual identification.

rob_s
October 19, 2008, 08:03 PM
Is there really a meaningful difference between charging handles?

DPMS on the right, Colt on the left. You tell me.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/CHARGING-HANDLES-1.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Which Bolt, Bolt Carrier and Charging Handle For AR?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!