remington 700 magnum length??

PDA

claytonfaulkner
October 18, 2008, 02:12 PM
so im going to buy a remington 700 .270 today for a new project gun. the gun will be rebarreled but im not sure to what yet. is there a difference between the long action of a 270 and the long action of the 7mm ultra mag??

i found another thread discussing it but they didnt seem to come to a definite answer..

If you enjoyed reading about "remington 700 magnum length??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ojibweindian
October 18, 2008, 11:48 PM
The most obvious difference is the case head diameter. If you buy that .270 with the idea of rebarreling it to something else, stick to a 30-06 based cartridge. If you want a magnum chambering, you'll have to open the bolt-face of that .270

MachIVshooter
October 19, 2008, 01:41 AM
The 7mm Ultra is too long for a standard action.

claytonfaulkner
October 19, 2008, 01:44 PM
so when i got the gun home i took it out of the stock to clean it. i noticed the forearm of the stock said "standard long". i then got my 7mag out and removed it from the stock and it was labeled "magnum" well i ended up trying to mount the barreled actiong in each others stocks and it worked with no problem. i then tryed swapping the bolts, which worked with no problem. im starting to think there is no difference between the "standard long" and "magnum" actions. i guess the only other test i could do would be to try a 7mm RUM bolt in the 270 and see if it fits (length wise, i know the bolt face is diffferent).

as for the bolt face, i was planning on having it fluted anyways so having it opened up is no problem.

if the ultra mag wont work, whats the most powerful -06 length cartridge out there? wild cats will work to if i have to use them.

dakotasin
October 19, 2008, 09:24 PM
remington has short actions for cartridges like 308, 243, etc.

then they have long action, which is for cartridges like 30-06, etc, and includes the rum family.

the different stocks are marked as such to allow for heavier contour barrels on the magnum chamberings.

you can take a 270 and turn it into a 7 rum, but you're going to have to have the bolt opened up and feed rails adjusted.

claytonfaulkner
October 20, 2008, 12:25 AM
alright, its settled, now i just have to decide between 7mm rum and 300 rum. ive already got a 7mm mag, so im thinking the 300 will be great, and i could use it if i was to ever goin on an elk hunt or anything like that.

dakotasin
October 20, 2008, 01:48 AM
in the rum chambering, i think the 300 makes more sense. i am a huge 7mm fan, and i have the 7 rum, but i think the 300 is a better chambering. in the 7mm size, the 7 rem mag is about right...

good luck!

moooose102
October 20, 2008, 10:27 AM
boy, i hope you got this for a song. because unless you are a gunsmith, it is going to cost you a fortune to do this.

claytonfaulkner
October 20, 2008, 03:41 PM
boy, i hope you got this for a song. because unless you are a gunsmith, it is going to cost you a fortune to do this.

how so? im getting the bolt work done for free, all i have to pay for is the barrel work. i plan on getting a wood stock for it which ill bed myself, same with the trigger. after that all i have to pay for is the scope and mounts, which that is with any rifle...

oh yea and the rifle cost me less than 200, and it came with a scope and bipod, which are both going on my 22

If you enjoyed reading about "remington 700 magnum length??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!