Rock Island vs High Standard

PDA

Deus Machina
October 18, 2008, 11:10 PM
Went shopping for a handgun with my buddy in search of a 1911 for him, and the choice came down to a RIA and a High Standard, in almost identical bottom-line style. Both NIB.

Seller wants about $25 more for the High Standard.

So I'm asking for opinions on both, for his sake and mine, when I head back for one for myself.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rock Island vs High Standard" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
janobles14
October 18, 2008, 11:16 PM
both fine weapons. my personal choice is the RIA milspec. ive pawed a few and shot two. they shot great and were "uncostomized" accurate.

gc70
October 19, 2008, 03:58 AM
RIA makes the GI-style 5" High Standard.

Deus Machina
October 19, 2008, 04:15 AM
Hmm... So they could, in fact, be the same gun?

Do they stick to a--ahem--higher standard on those, or would it just be these particular two that they slide was noticeably tighter?

Treo
October 19, 2008, 09:25 AM
They're both made by Armscorp I'm sure they do a run of RIA's then a run of High Standards on the same machinary W/ the same programing (except the subroutine for the logo on the slide) & using the same tooling.

I doubt there's 25.00$ difference between the two buy the one you like

MAKster
October 19, 2008, 10:33 AM
The only difference between the GI models is the grips and the smaller High Standard name on the slide.

DaBull
October 19, 2008, 11:30 AM
I looked at the pair side-by-side once and the High Standard had better rear sights...rather than a tiny "U" shaped notch, it had a larger "V". Take a look at that...maybe you'll prefer one to the other.

capttom
October 19, 2008, 12:49 PM
I'm considering an RIA myself. Decisions, decisions, decisions. I've heard nothing but great things about their customer support. I've heard nothing at all about High Standard's.

MICHAEL T
October 19, 2008, 02:39 PM
Get a American Classic II Lot nicer for same money . Made by Metroarms in PI. Delux model is around 400

lechiffre
October 19, 2008, 04:59 PM
I looked at the pair side-by-side once and the High Standard had better rear sights...rather than a tiny "U" shaped notch, it had a larger "V". Take a look at that...maybe you'll prefer one to the other.

i'll take the better sights and smaller logo

rondog
October 19, 2008, 07:24 PM
Although Armscor makes High Standard 1911's, I've recently read that HS 1911's are also made by another vendor too, someplace in Texas I think it was. The RIA's are fine pistols, IMO, I have three. They're also backed by an excellent warranty provided by the importer, Advanced Tactical in Nevada. Don't know about the HS warranty.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rock Island vs High Standard" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!