Rifle vs. Shotgun for Car/Truck Longarm...


PDA






seeker_two
September 13, 2003, 10:12 PM
Whenever the topic of "Truck Rifle", "SHTF Rifle" or like topics have come up, some have suggested the shotgun as an option to the rifle. Each side has strengths & weaknesses--and both are close enough to make deciding difficult.

If you had to keep a longarm in your vehicle for those "just in case" moments, which would you prefer and why?

If you enjoyed reading about "Rifle vs. Shotgun for Car/Truck Longarm..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
C.R.Sam
September 14, 2003, 12:27 AM
rifle.

because.

Sam

Skunkabilly
September 14, 2003, 01:19 AM
This sounds lame, but probably a shotgun because it'll be easier to replace if stolen than my choice of rifle. I'm betting there's a higher chance of it getting stolen than me ever needing it. Also with shotgun, it's easier to transport it 'unloaded' and have it ready faster?

David4516
September 14, 2003, 05:17 AM
I voted rifle. I think the Winchester model 94 would make a great truck gun. I don't have a truck so I can't use mine as a truck gun :(

pignock
September 14, 2003, 11:00 AM
ummm...both'll fit behind my truck seat and i got a LITTLE truck :)

chadintex
September 14, 2003, 11:09 AM
Rifle, something low cost.

M44, SKS, used M94, etc.

Skibane
September 14, 2003, 06:27 PM
In any populated area, being able to account for where every projectile lands is essential. That's pretty hard to do with a shotgun, due to the uncertainties of patterns and distance.

Out in the sticks, the choice probably boils down to what target you're most likely to encounter, and at what distance.

For ultimate cheap-ness, a Russian M-44 or similar surplus bolt-action is probably going to cost less to replace than any shotgun – and thieves are less likely to be interested in stealing it.

10-Ring
September 14, 2003, 06:31 PM
Shotgun because it would far more effective in 97% of defensive situations than any other options...The other 3% I can use the truck :D

Mannlicher
September 14, 2003, 07:19 PM
What I use for a truck gun varies depending on where I am going. I use both a shotgun, and a rifle. Sometimes I carry one of each. :D

Skunkabilly
September 14, 2003, 07:44 PM
Do your guys' states allow you to carry a loaded long gun in the car?

synoptic
September 14, 2003, 07:57 PM
Do your guys' states allow you to carry a loaded long gun in the car?

Heck ya :D

I would think for those with CCW the longarm would be for distance, penetration, or large wounded game animals. I'd prefer an SKS or possibly a kel tec SU-16. I could keep the kel tec under my front seat instead of in my trunk. I can legally have them wherever, but I'd prefer not to have them visible.

Brian Williams
September 14, 2003, 07:59 PM
If I had a truck and lived in an area where I would carry a longarm in it, I would have both my Marlin 1894c in 357 and my Win 1300.

OBTW I did not vote cause I would vote both.

OEF_VET
September 14, 2003, 08:53 PM
If I were to keep a truck-gun in my truck, I think I'd prefer to have the option of both. If I lived in a rural area, where theft wasn't a major concern, I'd probably keep a shotgun and either an SKS or some sort of levergun in a gun rack in the back window. However, living in a major metropolitan area, there's no way I'm going to do it. There are too many instances of cars being broken into around here.

Black Snowman
September 15, 2003, 12:35 AM
I'd probably have my trusty "Faux FAL" if I could keep a gun in my truck. I wouldn't even need to keep it loaded with detachable mags and I could use it as a hammer or lever if I ever needed one or throw it in the back if I needed more traction :D

Dorrin79
September 15, 2003, 11:07 AM
Rifle.

Why? Because I want something I can shoot accurately out past 15-25 yds, which is pretty much the limit of my practical handgun accuracy.

The point about a shotgun "scattering" its load and endangering bystanders is also well taken.

A cheap milsurp bolt-action, lever .30-30, or SKS/AK type rifle is probably your best bet.

Smoke
September 15, 2003, 01:51 PM
Rifle. Because a coyote is a more likely threat for me to encounter.

I almost always have some version of both though.

5pins
September 15, 2003, 08:29 PM
I say go for the rifle. I use a M-44 Mosin Nagant. There is the real possibility that a gun in a car may be stolen. The M-44 is inexpensive, so if it is stolen it won’t hurt so much. Bolt action rifles are not very popular with the criminal element. The rifle is also more versatile. With a shotgun your range is limited.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rifle vs. Shotgun for Car/Truck Longarm..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!