I just shot a .225 MOA group with my new Savage F/TR

PDA

TargetTerror
October 19, 2008, 08:33 PM
I took my new F/TR out to the range for the second time today, and this was literally my first 5 shots:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37340&d=1224461524

Thats ~.225 inches at 100 yards, prone off a bipod with a shooting jacket. I'm pretty pleased with that. Needless to say, it was all downhill from there :D The rest of the groups were between ~.65 MOA and 1.1 MOA. There was a pretty stiff wind gusting around, so I'll blame that for my later groups...

I'm VERY impressed with this rifle. I got this with virtually no load development - this was 1 of 3 powder charges of the same powder I tried, with everything being held the same. COL was kept at 2.811 (the .011 was what I got the first bullet to, and then I just left it there for the remainder of the batch. I just didn't bother to go any more).

If you enjoyed reading about "I just shot a .225 MOA group with my new Savage F/TR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Strongbad
October 19, 2008, 08:34 PM
I think I'd stop developing and do more shooting. :D Nicely done!

TargetTerror
October 19, 2008, 09:08 PM
Yea, this rifle doesn't make load development that rewarding. I'll probably try some Varget or IMR 4895 as I'd like to move away from a long stick powder if I can to keep the powder throws more uniform.

Shawnee
October 19, 2008, 09:33 PM
Geez, TargetTerror... what are you so happy about? You missed that dime by at least a half-inch !;)

Great shootin', Dude !!

:cool:

rangerruck
October 19, 2008, 11:27 PM
WOW!!! now that is what I would call , out of the box accuracy! i would clean out for copper, and change nothing except maybe try some factory loads , for a just in case scenario...

FlyinBryan
October 19, 2008, 11:49 PM
awesome group.

i shoot 1 or 2 every sunday that look like that after my 3rd shot, but after i send 4 and 5 they NEVER look like that.

shot 4 and 5 are always the group killers for me. >:-)

awesome awesome awesome looking target.

post a pic of the rifle maybe?

atlanticfire
October 20, 2008, 10:53 AM
Good group! I also have the FTR in .308 and have been trying my hand a longer distances. Looks like it might be time for you to move out to 200 or 300 yards. I load varget with the same 168 that your using and have good results. Here is a link to one of my 5 shot, 300 yard groups.
Link (http://www.jaybiddle.com/images/details.php?image_id=9):cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "I just shot a .225 MOA group with my new Savage F/TR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!