Large Buffer use on stainless gun to shine?

PDA

Big Boomer
October 20, 2008, 01:04 AM
I ordered a large buffer (3/4 HP) and noticed that I can do stainless on there as well with the right type of polish (bar type)

I have seen elsewhere that people have used mothers and such to polish their SP101 to a mirror finish but it did take some work and some time. Would it be too much to speed up the process on the outer areas with the buffing wheel? It makes my wedding ring bling like new again :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Large Buffer use on stainless gun to shine?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dcoop
October 20, 2008, 02:04 AM
A buffer will speed up the process tremendously. Here is a great source for buffing\polishing bars:

http://www.caswellplating.com/

I bought an 8 inch buffer and taught myself. I ordered some 80 ply 8 inch Spiral Sewn Cotton Wheels and practiced on some old .45 ACP barrels. They look like chrome now.

A good starter kit would contain 3 wheels and 3 different bars of compound. (black-course, brown-medium and white-final polish) Mark your wheels so you know which compound goes where. DO NOT MIX THEM UP. (one wheel for white, one for brown and one for black)

ColinthePilot
October 20, 2008, 03:01 AM
IIRC, we used the same wheel for medium and fine polishing compounds on some custom aluminum parts for a friend's motorcycle. He rough cut them out of aluminum plate, and I polished them up with one wheel to a chrome like finish.

moooose102
October 20, 2008, 08:03 AM
yes, it will speed things up considerably. you will need a different buffing wheel for each grit polish you use, so mark on the side of the wheel what you will be using it for so you can use the wheels again. also, after you are done, you will have to totally disassemble the entire gun and clean it very thoroughly. otherwise it will be full of grit and muzlin from the wheels, and may not even function.

If you enjoyed reading about "Large Buffer use on stainless gun to shine?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!