Mauser 98?

PDA

Tamren
October 21, 2008, 04:35 AM
I was checking out a local gun store and they had an 8mm Mauser 98 for $250. I was contemplating purchasing it and refinishing it as a school project. It would give me something to take back to Iowa to show my family and friends what I've been up to out in Colorado.

Are the Mausers a decent gun? Hows accuracy? and from what I've read, the 8mm is a decent hunting round, correct?

If you enjoyed reading about "Mauser 98?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Al Thompson
October 21, 2008, 05:01 AM
Depends on condition. To get a decent hunting rifle, the sights and trigger need upgrades and depending on bore/crown condition, it may need a new barrel. To me, that's a bit high unless it's in super good shape.

Al Thompson
October 21, 2008, 05:03 AM
Oh, money wise, you'd be better off (especially if you want a scoped rifle) to go commercial. Fun wise, hard to beat the M98.

jws527
October 21, 2008, 05:22 AM
What sort of Mauser 98? Yugo? Czech? Russian capture German 98k? South American? They come in a bewildering variety. :)

Yes, 8mm is a great hunting round - it's actually a bit more powerful than the 30-06. As for accuracy, that depends largely upon the condition of the rifle. You could probably expect one in good shape (solid bore, crown, well-fitted stock) to shoot inside of 2 MOA.

Mr_Pale_Horse
October 21, 2008, 09:54 AM
8mm is a great hunting round - it's actually a bit more powerful than the 30-06

If you buy European 8x57 JS like Norma, RWS or Sellier & Belliot. Remingtion, Winchester and Federal all load it way down to avoid the 1 in a million .318 J bore that still exists.

As to your firearms applicability for plinking, hunting, etc, an unissued Yugo M48B or BO is ready to go as is with only a tall front sight needed for hunting. S&K (www.scopemounts.com) make an excellent scout mount for many milsurps.

I have an all matching 1941 Turkish KiriKale and a 1957 M48B. Both are sub MOA. I use to have an M48 that was 6 inch at best.

Currently, mostly russian capture K98K's are available locally, and Knob creek has a few Yugos left.

Olympus
October 21, 2008, 10:34 AM
I'm a Mauser enthusiast and custom Mauser builder myself. Unless this rifle you're looking at is in very good shape, then $250 is a high number. I sold one for $275 a while back that was in the top 5 nicest condition I've ever seen...and I've seen a lot. A good ballpark to start negotiations would be an offer of $175 cash. You need to pull the bolt out completely and look through the inside of the barrel looking into a light source. Check the rifling and make sure it's as sharp as possible. Make sure there is no corrosion inside the barrel. 8mm surplus ammo is highly corrosive after it's been shot so if the rifle hasn't been cleaned properly then you can get into so major problems there. Also, check to make sure the bolt is tight inside the action in all positions. It can have a little play when you pull the bolt out to the very end, that's fairly normal.

If you're wanting this to hunt with, I hope you don't do a lot of hiking. Mausers aren't known to be the lightest gun ever built and it can really wear you down packing it around. Most people that own Mausers are enthusiasts. They like mil-surp rifles and nostalgia and all that. If that's you then welcome to the club. If not then I'd agree that you're better off buying a commercial rifle.

jimmyraythomason
October 21, 2008, 11:09 AM
As already said,it depends on condition i.e.: rust,bore pitting,muzzle wear but more importantly,is it ALL there? Has it been altered? What arsenal? Was it imported or a vet bring back? SO many variables determine if it is worth the money. A Mauser 8x57 makes a GREAT deer gun. BUT dont buy a Gew 98 or any other collectable Mauser worth many dollars and alter it in any way. Removing cosmolene is okay but dont do more than light cleaning. If it is determined that it is a run of the mill or already altered,knock yourself out. They make great sporter projects.

Smokey Joe
October 21, 2008, 05:06 PM
Tamren--For a school project, not a "collectors' item," I saw ads just yesterday for barrelled actions from K98k's for $150, not $250, in the current Shotgun News. You can get a really nice stock from Boyd's www.boydsgunstocks.com for 'way under $100 and you have a really nice school project, with no stock to discard, and since the rifle has already lost its original stock it's not of interest to collectors.

As to accuracy, and appropriateness as a hunting round, the Mauser should do fine. If it's an 8x57, it's in the .30-'06 class; 'nuff said. The exact level of accuracy depends partly on the condition of the rifle and its bore, and partly on the quality of your bedding job. (Follow the directions and you won't get into trouble there.)

Get the unfinished stock (it's all shaped, inside and out--unfinished means not varnished in Boyd-speak) get a glass bedding kit (Boyd's has them, too, or so does Brownell's, www.brownells.com buy sandpaper and spray-can satin spar varnish locally, and have at it. I'd get a Timney trigger (Brownell's again) for the rifle at the same time, if the budget allows.

For sights, you'll need a taller front sight (military sight only goes to a minimum of 200 meters) or a scout 'scope and mount, which affixes to the rear sight base, and makes drilling & tapping the receiver, and bolt handle or safety modification, unnecessary. Brownell's has a Mauser front sight blank; they also carry a B-Square scout 'scope base for the Mauser. You can't use a "regular" rifle 'scope nor a pistol 'scope, you have to buy a scout 'scope for the correct eye relief. Leupold and Bushnell both make such.

I did a Boyd's stock and scout 'scope project, on an off-the-rack Yugo M-48 Mauser, and the results turned out better than I had any right to expect. The most tedious part of the project is the sanding, sanding, sanding, but that's par for the course with any woodworking project. I went with the Leupold 'scope, and am not sorry.

Boyd's must deal with lots of first-timers; their 'phone reps are extremely patient and helpful. Call 'em on your nickel at 605-996-5011, or snail-mail 'em at 25376 403rd Ave, Mitchell, SD 57301. Brownell's has an 800 number: 1-800-741-0015, or snail-mail them at 200 S. Front St, Montezuma, IA, 50171.

Anyhow, best of luck to you on your project, please don't sporterize a rifle with collector value, and keep us informed. We'll want pics, both in-work and finalized, if you could possibly share.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mauser 98?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!