Most embarassing firearm purchase, experience, etc.

PDA

cchurchi
October 21, 2008, 03:43 PM
I once bought a box of .40 Extreme Shock ammunition....:(

Whew... feels good to get that off my chest though.

If you enjoyed reading about "Most embarassing firearm purchase, experience, etc." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Flame Red
October 21, 2008, 03:45 PM
That's ok - Forgive me father because I have sinned... I have a box of 50 of the Extreme Shock in 380.

tribbles
October 21, 2008, 03:48 PM
I was showing the clerk behind the counter at Big 5 how to take the bolt out of an SKS, but neglected to notice that the bolt was locked back under spring pressure as I pulled out the receiver pin. Thankfully that thick glass counter didn't break.

Sniper X
October 21, 2008, 03:53 PM
I was a kid of about 22 at the time and was looking at a Desert Eagle in 50AE and couldn't pull the slide to thr rear. At the time I was in perfect shape, and weighed about 196 and was 5'7" and was buffed out. It was obviously a ignorance issue on my part.

BTW I wasn't going to buy it, a buddy wanted to show it to me at the gun shop because he wanted one!

rondog
October 21, 2008, 04:20 PM
Not really embarassing, but sorta caught me off-guard....

I arranged to meet a guy last week to check out and buy a Winchester Trapper carbine in .44 magnum. He gave me directions to his office, said to come to suite 200. When I arrived, he happened to be standing outside, and took me to his office. When we got off the elevator and headed for Suite 200, I saw the sign on the door said Federal Bureau of Investigation. :eek::uhoh:

It wasn't a setup or a sting, he was actually a very nice guy, just a little more straight-laced than I'm used to. Had a nice chat and bought a nice rifle. Just a basic FTF transaction, with only a bill of sale.

Uglyoldpoorman
October 21, 2008, 06:17 PM
A charter arms 22.

ATAShooter
October 21, 2008, 06:20 PM
I was 18 and wanting a rifle. At the local gunshop was a M1 Garand. I asked to see it, he kicked the bolt open and handed it to me. I had never held one. The bolt wouldn't close so I poked around in the inside of it with my finger .... OOOWWWW !!!!

The Lone Haranguer
October 21, 2008, 06:54 PM
Dropped a Walther P99 magazine on the counter, from which it fell to the floor.

snorko
October 21, 2008, 07:04 PM
Bought a W. German made Gercuda revolver in .32 S&W Long. Paid $2.00 at a police auction. The FFL doing the transfers laughed at me because the transfer was 5X the purchase price.

Scanr
October 21, 2008, 08:37 PM
This is really embarrassing, back before I knew much, I bought a Lorcin 380 for $150.00. I accept this as stupid tax.

esmith
October 21, 2008, 08:51 PM
I once bought a box of .40 Extreme Shock ammunition....

Whew... feels good to get that off my chest though.

Can someone please tell me why this is foolish, or stupid to do? I haven't heard of extreme shock ammunition.

EricTheBarbarian
October 21, 2008, 08:55 PM
Well two. Khan semi-auto 12 gauge. Also, I bought everyone's favorite on here to speak horribly about, the Remington 710.

Prepster
October 21, 2008, 09:05 PM
I used the word "operator" in reference to a goofy roll + shoot I did while playing paintball.

Also, I once was beaten in a friendly, spur-of-the-moment competition at the range by a guy in an all pink outfit with white leather shoes.

RyanM
October 21, 2008, 09:24 PM
Can someone please tell me why this is foolish, or stupid to do? I haven't heard of extreme shock ammunition.

http://www.extremeshockusa.com/

Avenger
October 21, 2008, 09:59 PM
I bought a true POS Baby Browning knock-off from a friend for $5. I KNEW it was a piece of junk from the get-go, we had taken it to a range and discovered that it could fail to A: feed, B: fire, C: extract, D: eject, and often all four AT THE SAME TIME....It was a little amusing, we could probably have made some money on a "failure" pool.
I thought I could tinker it back into working order. I was wrong....

jmr40
October 21, 2008, 10:32 PM
I took a Marlin 60 to a gunshow to try to sell it. I had a scope in the rings mounted for it but had removed it the last time out shooting to practice with irons. I grabbed the rifle and scope planning to mount the scope before walking into the show. When I arrived at the show it started raining and I quickly slid the rings into the groves and clamped it down with my leatherman.
Two minutes after entering a gentleman asked to see my rifle. He wanted to know why the scope was mounted backwards!!! The good news, after we had a good laugh and I explained the situation he bought the gun.

bowhnter
October 22, 2008, 12:03 AM
WOW !!!!!! NINJA ammo !!! Thanks for the laugh.

I was in the military doing pistol qual for the first time.
I was super nervous. I racked the slide and fired the first 2 rounds,
brought the gun to low ready and """BAM"""
I barely touched the trigger and nearly shot off some toes....
that's when I thought "So that's the difference between double and single action" :eek: It's funny now, but we all hadda learn somehow

Big Boomer
October 22, 2008, 01:16 AM
when we were younger and my buddy was showing me how to "reload". We loaded a few 8mm to shoot.

While loading he noticed that not all the powder fit in the case and was overflowing? He said hrmm and "checked" the numbers and the scale and said it is correct and must be a "compressed" load.

So he kept packing it in then squished the bullet in on top. These things must have been like 15 grains or more above max. Amazingly the gun did not blow up after repeated firings but the cases sure split! I still have all my fingers and eyes!

harmonic
October 22, 2008, 01:39 AM
I went in with a buddy to buy a gun. The clerk was showing us a 1911 when all of sudden, my buddy's head opened up and bats flew out. Then I realized he couldn't own a gun anyway cause he couldn't fill out the form. All he had were claws.

Man, was I embarrassed.

janobles14
October 22, 2008, 01:46 AM
two days after i turned 21 i almost bought an RG 25 for $125. i had my wallet out until the nice man next to me told me it was worth about $30.

blkbrd666
October 22, 2008, 01:52 AM
I went in with a buddy to buy a gun. The clerk was showing us a 1911 when all of sudden, my buddy's head opened up and bats flew out. Then I realized he couldn't own a gun anyway cause he couldn't fill out the form. All he had were claws.

If you go to sleep before that wears off, you're gonna have some really strange dreams.

Calibre44
October 22, 2008, 08:40 AM
Well years ago, when I joined my first gun club, I was listening intently to a discussion between several of the older and experienced members talking about their home-loads. They were discussing the merits of using different grains of smokeless powder for different bullet weights fired over various distances etc etc.

I listened for about 30 mins, rather consumed with the subject matter, before asking the naive newbie question:

‘How do you count the individual grains of powder to make sure you have the right amount?’

There followed an eerie silence followed by tumbleweed blowing through the room - somewhere in the distance a dog barked and a bell tolled.

‘Grains are a form of weight’ came a curt reply.’

‘mmm … I’ll get me coat!':o

tinygnat219
October 22, 2008, 08:50 AM
1st Handgun purchase. It was a series of issues. First, I forgot my 2nd form of ID. Went and got it from the car. Second, I forgot to get the cash. Went and got it from the car. Third, I filled in my wife's name on the 4473 since it was first on the car registration. Fourth, I was 3 dollars short because I had miscalculated the tax.

What was this for? A Taurus PT22.

Now, it's much simpler. The gun shop used the story to help nervous 1st or 2nd time purchasers. Hey, whatever helps to get people past that nervousness

MachIVshooter
October 22, 2008, 09:05 AM
Shortly after buying my Desert Eagle .50 and cooking up some wicked handloads, I was at the local indoor range boasting of it's accuracy (The gun really will print sub-3" groups at 100 yards). Well, I jinxed myself and pulled the first shot several inches high, blowing the steel target holder to smitherines and bending the crab out of it's cable mount.

When we got off the elevator and headed for Suite 200, I saw the sign on the door said Federal Bureau of Investigation

That'll elevate your heart rate a bit!

preachnhunt
October 22, 2008, 09:22 AM
In my ccw class we were instructed to disassemble our firearms for cleaning. I couldn't get my G17 apart as I was a little unfamiliar with it so I tried pulling the trigger and the whole top of the gun slid off and fell on the floor. The rest of the class turned around to see me with a stupid look on my face holding half a pistol and my friend doubled over in laughter.

bthest86
October 22, 2008, 09:58 AM
Years ago I remember asking a counter clerk if I could see that "smith and weston."

The Lone Haranguer
October 22, 2008, 11:40 AM
‘How do you count the individual grains of powder to make sure you have the right amount?’

The loser ... I mean winner! :D

highorder
October 22, 2008, 12:08 PM
I was stripping a Kimber Custom (to educate a customer) when I worked behind the counter at Gander Mountain. I wanted to keep the presentation going, but I didn't have my bushing wrench handy...

... long story short, I sent the FLGR recoil plug into orbit, and later has a fishing associate find it 30 yards from the gun counter.

Vermont
October 22, 2008, 12:45 PM
I was buying my first rifle. I had never handled a handgun before. I asked to see a 1911. The guy handed it to me with the slide locked back and I didn't know how to put it forward or if it was even proper etiquette to do so. I felt like a doofus and I had already asked him enough stupid questions that day, so I just stared at it for a few seconds and handed it back.

Eyesac
October 22, 2008, 01:48 PM
These are great stories, keep them coming!

PvtPyle
October 22, 2008, 02:38 PM
Correia bought a Hi-point carbine for us to sell in the store one time. It sat there forever.

cat9x
October 22, 2008, 02:59 PM
was my first year in college out-of-state and went to a gun show. I was looking for a hi cap magazine for a rifle my father gave to me when i was 9. Nobody seemed to have anything for a "Remington Papoose".

Eventually one kind old man behind the counter said, "that's Marlin son"

Ok, thanks, where's the exit.

VirgilCaine
October 22, 2008, 03:11 PM
Bought a W. German made Gercuda revolver in .32 S&W Long. Paid $2.00 at a police auction. The FFL doing the transfers laughed at me because the transfer was 5X the purchase price.

Was it a POS or did you luck out and get a good weapon?

SSN Vet
October 22, 2008, 03:23 PM
took about an hour to get through the hoops and hastle...

then was walked out of the store like a criminal with the manager carrying the rifle.

With "customer service" like that it's no wonder they weren't making enough $$ on their firearms floorspace and threw in the towel.

Flame Red
October 22, 2008, 03:26 PM
Boy, you guys are going to give me the most stupid award. I like Colt revolvers. Went to a fun show and spied a Colt King Cobra. The dealer was known for ripping off his customers (Shoot Straight in Orlando). I must have worked on the owner for a half an hour and come back three or four times before I got a 'reasonable' deal out of him. I was so proud that I could get him down to a reasonable price - not a super price. Come to find out that when I took it home I already had one of the same

:banghead:

Took it back to the fun show and sold it for a beating. Should have kept it because it would have doubled in price by now.

You know I am a gun nut now because I carry a list of what I have in my wallet so I (hopefully) won't repeat this.

Gottahaveone
October 22, 2008, 05:00 PM
This is gonna hurt to say....Back in the early 80's when I was a poor newlywed, and still pretty wet behind the ears I got bitten pretty hard by the urge to go slaughter Bambi. I needed a deer rifle and all I had to trade was an 85-90% 1873 Trapdoor Springfield. The gentleman at the local shop traded even for a Mauser 98k and 100 rounds of surplus ammo. It still makes me feel like puking every time I remember it. I hadn't gotten all the way home when the regret kicked in. I wanted to go back, but one thing Pop taught me was that integrity mattered, and I had agreed to the deal. I did learn a lesson from it, even if it was a costly one. (Yeah, I KNOW that that 45-70 would have worked just fine, don't even ask what thought process led me to that decision)

barry960
October 22, 2008, 05:25 PM
SSN Vet, Walmart still actually carries long arms out here, but for some reason don't carry handguns. I never bought a firearm at Wally World, but at this chain sporting goods store 'Joes' they pulled the same BS of walking a manager to the front carrying my rifle purchase. All they needed to do was put a register at the shooting dept. counter

bfhcards
October 22, 2008, 05:38 PM
The first time I went into a gun store a friend was looking at a pistol handed it to me and I had no idea what to do with the slide.

Cabelas in PA does the same thing you buy it at the gun department cash register but someone else carries it out for then you can put it in the car and come back I suppose.

rondog
October 22, 2008, 06:11 PM
Actually, that "being walked to the door by a manager" is pretty common. One place I buy a lot of guns at, that's their standard policy. It's so some wacko doesn't buy a gun, then load it up and start shooting, or try to rob the registers up front on his way out. (gun counter in the back has its own register).

I said once, "but what's to keep somebody from loading it up at his car and coming back in?" The manager just shrugged and said "I know. Stupid policy".

OregonJohnny
October 22, 2008, 08:32 PM
I was at a friend's house and her dad and I started talking guns. We were both pleased to find out we were both into shooting. He said, "Let me go get my 9mm to show you, I'll be right back!" He hustled away then returned with an old Browning High Power and handed it to me. I kept it pointed in a safe direction, finger off trigger, and pulled the slide back carefully to check chamber status. A round popped up from the mag and slid halfway into the chamber! His response was, "What are you doing!? It's loaded!" And he took it out of my hands. And my response was, "Why would you hand me a loaded gun?!" Proper procedure on my part would have been to remove mag first, then check the chamber, but MY GOD! Who hands someone a loaded handgun? I don't know who was more embarassed.

MachIVshooter
October 22, 2008, 09:12 PM
Who hands someone a loaded handgun?

I will to friends I trust, but you can bet they're informed that it's hot.

QUICK_DRAW_McGRAW
October 22, 2008, 10:30 PM
rondog, that makes no sense. they can just go to the parking lot and return and just shoot the hell out of people and take the money, so it really doesn't make any sense.

Leif Runenritzer
October 23, 2008, 12:40 AM
A pistol duel in the army?!

I was in the military doing pistol qual for the first time
Oh, qual. :D

MikeKeyW
October 23, 2008, 12:53 AM
When in the biz we had a Colt/Winchester shoot up a Markem Park. Colt was showing the Delta 10mm and their new 9mm AR based sub. Winchester was just rolling out the "White Box" lineup. MWG had just came out with their 90 rounder mag. I had just emptied 2 90 rounders when "Mr. Know It All" picks up the M16 A2 I had benched to show a client where you should NOT touch an AR/M16, the gas tube... The charred skin came off bit the fingerprint is still on the tube for all I know.

gp911
October 23, 2008, 11:19 PM
9 years old, hunter's safety course.... 1984...

Fella holds up a snubbie and says "any of you kids know how to see if it's loaded?"

I thought it was like my cap guns, you know, pull on the ejector rod and the cylinder swings out. When that didn't work I pointed it at...

my face...

then rolled my eyes back and handed back the gun, thinking I was funny.

Fella asks a rhetorical question, then answers it.

"Was that the right thing to do? No, in fact it was pretty stupid. Here's how you check..."

I was so embarrassed I cannot even describe it.

gp911

Rossshady120
October 24, 2008, 01:18 AM
How about every time i go to the gunstore and i can't hold a pistol because i'm not 21 but i can hold a ak-47 with a drum magazine. Maybe it was when i got my bersa 9 hi cap and the guy a the gunstore said to my mother why are you paying for it! thank god i got rid of my kel-tec s2k 9mm because they would not sell me ammo for it but they sold me the gun!

gidaeon
October 24, 2008, 02:15 AM
#1 *sigh* I once went to a gun show and bought a new Phoenix .22, I paid like $145, and had talked the guy down a slight bit :o Oh, and I asked the dealer if they were good and reputation, problems.

I learned not to purchase equipment that 1) you've never heard of the brand 2) you didn't expect to get. But hey I guess it was sized so similar to that Bersa 380CC or the PPK\s. Still have it, just didn't understand necessity of research and nature of sns.

#2 The first pistol I ever bought (used) I never checked\inspected the bore or closely looked at chamber area :eek:

#3 On earlier occasions when window shopping for first gun I was handed a pistol or two and I had no clue how to operate the slide, or lock ect., newbie was I. I guess I was too embarrassed, foolish or prideful to just ask?

WVMountainBoy
October 24, 2008, 02:24 AM
Was at the range with a friend trying out my then "new" Charles Daley 1911, I slapped the magazine in and noticed that it didn't latch and about an 1/8th inch was still out of the well. I Pushed it in again till I heard the "click" of the mag catch and raised the weapon to cycle the slide, as I griped the slide the magazine fell out and went skidding down the isle...That gun is a constant pain in my hide...dang thing is lucky it was a gift or I'd have melted it down into a manhole looking paper weight

M203Sniper
October 24, 2008, 03:10 AM
I once looked at a Kimber pro-carry in my local shop.

I asked why the safety didn't seat into the slide correctly. The expert behind the counter told me it didn't have to. You can guess my reply. :rolleyes:

I've never taken a Kimber seriously again. :)

jakemccoy
October 24, 2008, 03:49 AM
I bought one of those bandoleers that goes across your upper body and holds shotgun rounds. It's totally useless because (1) there's no practical use for me and (2) the shells fall out if I jog or walk briskly. I bought it because I had a fantasy about strapping it on during a home invasion "just in case" I needed extra ammo - like 50 extra rounds...LOL

(I hope I didn't jinx myself by making this post...yikes!)

DoesItMatter
October 24, 2008, 04:25 AM
I own a 40 S&W cal. Hi-Point *head down*

Beagle-zebub
October 24, 2008, 07:33 AM

Man, was I embarrassed.

Gotta love those Hunter S. Thompson moments.

PointOneSeven
October 24, 2008, 02:52 PM
Hearing 'click' instead of 'bang.' I used to seriously oil my guns, to the point they would leave gun shaped oil stains wherever I set it down. The ammo that had sat in there had been marinating in oil for three weeks :uhoh:.

GEM
October 24, 2008, 05:20 PM
I brought a range bag full of 9mm to a match with my 1911 (45), thus I had to buy 4 boxes of extremely expensive reloads at the range house.

Duh!

I once bought a slew of 22 mag instead of 22 LR - but I do have a 22 mag revolver so that's ok. I do have enought 22 Mag for the Apocalypse though.

mgregg85
October 24, 2008, 06:39 PM
I went out to lunch with a coworker and he saw my new pistol in the center glovebox thing. So I took it out and removed the magazine and checked the chamber. While I did this he wasn't looking and the radio was rather loud so I have to believe he didn't hear me do it either. When he took the pistol from me, with it still pointed at me, he pulled the trigger( I handed it to him with the barrel pointing downwards).:what: I think my heart just about stopped and after a couple of seconds of amazement I snatched it out of his hands and told him to never, ever point a gun at someone, let alone pulling the trigger while aiming at someone. I was pissed and he apologized after asking what was so wrong about what he did, he said he just assumed that 'of course it wouldn't be loaded'.

Now I remember to go over the basics of gun safety before I let anyone I don't know and trust, handle my guns.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
October 24, 2008, 06:44 PM
I had a gunshop owner show me his nice 1911, only to clumsily drop in on the ground (himself). He was all apologetic, and to make him feel better, I insisted "accidents happen.":eek:

Good thing the darn thing wasn't LOADED!:uhoh:

shaka
October 24, 2008, 07:03 PM
At the thread Sniper Flash Cards vs. Mildot Master (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=298240) Akodo quotes and then criticizes me:

"Quote:
"Preparation. Buy a non-magnum bolt-action deer rifle and install a scope with a mil-dot reticle and finger-adjustable dials. On non-German scopes the mil-dots are only accurate at the highest power, so you may want to tape the power dial (duct tape use #857) so it cannot be turned down. Sight the weapon in to hit dead-on at 300 yards.

"Um, say again?

"He talks about how hard it is to reaquire a target once you put your rifle down to fumble with the mildot sliderule. Yet makes no comment about difficulty of finding your target initially on a wide battlefield with the scope set at 12 power. Yes when you are glassing that garage door to estimate ranges reach up and crank that power to 12. Leave it at 12 if that is a good power for your shot, but i'd recommend being able to ahve it at power lvl 4 for initially finding your target. If you have to turn it to 12 to get the reading, turn it to 4 to find your target and turn it back to 12, no big deal.

"having it ductaped at 12 to me seems just stupid."

Actually, I never said 12X - I prefer fixed 10X and, if one must get a variable, 3-9X. At my Review of Scopes with Mil-Dot Reticles (http://www.sniperflashcards.com/review.php) I write:

"Snipers do not need variable power scopes. A fixed 10× is just fine. If the enemy is too close for 10×, then a bolt-action rifle is of little value anyway. You should put it down and fight with an RPG. If the enemy is too far for 10×, then forego the shot or call for heavier weapons.

"Fixed power scopes are less expensive, smaller, lighter and more reliable than variable power scopes. Most importantly, the point of impact changes slightly as one turns the power dial on a variable power scope, making fixed power scopes more accurate. Also, because the mil-dots are only accurate at the highest magnification on a variable power scope, there is a danger that you will forget to dial it up. That happened to me once: I asked my girlfriend to pull targets for me and then, not noticing that my 3 - 9× scope was set at 3×, I proceeded to fire all my shots into the berm. (At 500 yards I was holding two mills over.) If I can make a dumb mistake like that under the stress of trying to impress a girl, imagine how often it happens under the stress of combat!"

This is the same girl whose break-up with me I discuss at the thread, dating girlfriends and guns (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=360884&page=5). So, Akodo, I insist: Duct-tape your power dial so you don't accidentally do this. Remember Murphy's First Law of Combat, "If anything can go wrong, it will." Dialing your scope up and down may seem like child's play ("no big deal") at the range, but wait until the bullets are flying. Any preperation that helps simplify things in the field (memorizing holdover and windage data, ditching the slide-rule, duct-taping your power dial) will help tremendously when the **** hits the fan.

Another embarrassing moment (http://www.sniperflashcards.com/review.php):

"Regarding reliability, I have had problems with both BSA and Leupold. The BSA incident is recounted above (dials slipping under recoil) and is something that BSA could easily fix by using 1/4 MOA adjustments. The problem I had with Leupold is that their finger adjustable dials are held on with three tiny set screws (after zeroing one's rifle, one loosens these screws to set the dial at "0") that are too small to be secure. Once, after practicing all month with my .22 at 50 yards, I went to a smallbore silhouette match, stepped up to the 100 meter line, turned my elevation dial a bit too enthusiastically and was dismayed to find it spinning freely. Imagine how I would have felt if that had happened in combat!"

natecade1
October 25, 2008, 02:42 AM
some great stories in here.
Mine has got to be the very first shot I ever fired with anything more powerful than a .22lr (besides shotguns).
Scoped my self in the face, had a small bump and bled about 2 drops.
Never did again since.

MikeKeyW
October 25, 2008, 03:46 AM
No M1 Thumb stories? I was around 14 when I got my first go at a Garand. I watched the Navy Chief go through the whole drill, loading the en bloc clip and putting 8 rds down range. My turn, I take the rifle and slam in the en bloc just like I saw the Chief did and then was looking at my thumb firmly and painfully I might add, being chambered by the bolt. The Chief asked if I learned anything...
Eight rounds later I learned that the gun is not blowing up in your face when you see your life and clip passing right in front of your eyes. Lessons learned but I still think the Chief enjoyed it too much.

qajaq59
October 25, 2008, 08:42 AM
I once bought a Jennings .22 cal pistol. :banghead:

fletcher
October 25, 2008, 08:51 AM
First time I disassembled a 1911, I didn't keep my thumb on the recoil spring. Right up past my face to the ceiling it went :uhoh:

rondog
October 25, 2008, 02:46 PM
I own a 40 S&W cal. Hi-Point *head down*

That's nothing to be ashamed of. It works, doesn't it? Made in USA? Lifetime warranty? I have a .40 carbine and a 9mm carbine, and they're LOADS of fun! Just wish I had about two dozen mags for each.

effengee
October 25, 2008, 03:23 PM
When I was about 12, I thought I would try an old cowboy trick I had seen on T.V. I yanked the single trigger on an old double Ithaca in 12 guage that was loaded with 00 buck magnums wearing only a flannel shirt over a T-shirt. Of course, both barrels went off and I landed on my rump. I didn't drop the shotgun, which gained me a ton of respect with the people who witnessed it. I had the complete buttstock imprinted bruise-style on my shoulder. The screw heads, the scroll and the letters were clearly visible for like 3 days...

Of course that didn't change my "Hollywood" ideas about guns until:

When I was 13 or 14, I fired a S&W .44 magnum that was hand loaded to the hilts by a buddy of my dad. Both he and my dad couldn't help but laugh as I put a 1/2 inch X 1 inch gash in my forehead while trying to be "Dirty Harry" and shoot that hand cannon one-handed... They of course helped me right away because it happened so fast, I couldn't figure out why my head was bleeding and why my nose felt like I had been punched in it.
But they were laughing the whole time... It was kinda funny.
I had a firm enough grip, but not a firm enough elbow.

After this incident, I realized that what you see on T.V. and what actually happens with a real firearm are two entirely different things...

hunterkane
October 25, 2008, 04:28 PM
i got 32 colt sholt for a 32 s&w long but it shoot ok lol

au1776
October 25, 2008, 04:44 PM
Not embarrassing to me really (other than as a male/southerner/American), but I was with a female classmate of mine at Academy so that she could handle a couple before we went to the range, and the guy behind the counter told her that a Glock 26 or XD may not be a good idea. She asked why (and I gave him a very dubious look), and he proceeded to say that a Taurus Millenium would be much better due to the manual safety, because "the dang things are dangerous enough as it is." He then confirmed my suspicions by stating "If I ever owned one, it would be this one."

I laughed all the way out the door.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
November 7, 2008, 06:37 AM
When I was 13 or 14, I fired a S&W .44 magnum that was hand loaded to the hilts by a buddy of my dad. Both he and my dad couldn't help but laugh as I put a 1/2 inch X 1 inch gash in my forehead while trying to be "Dirty Harry" and shoot that hand cannon one-handed... They of course helped me right away because it happened so fast, I couldn't figure out why my head was bleeding and why my nose felt like I had been punched in it.
But they were laughing the whole time... It was kinda funny.
I had a firm enough grip, but not a firm enough elbow.

You are lucky the 44 magnum didn't go off a second time and remove your forehead. As for your dad and his buddy laughing, it may have looked funny, however, I don't think anything abnormal happening with any weapon is a "laughing matter."

But that's another story. Sorry if I took the fun out of it. I didn't mean to, it's just that when one lives through a firearm accident or two, they tend to look at them in a different light.

shooting time
November 7, 2008, 08:10 AM
I was in a hurry to get to the range to sight in my 270 WBY and when I got there and set up target bags etc. I went to load the rifle and discovered I had taken the 300 WBY ammo with me. So back home I went hoping no one noticed I didn't fire a shot.

TRX
November 7, 2008, 08:14 AM
I acquired a Star Super in 9mm Largo. Very nice pistol, looked a lot like a 1911, except for an extra mystery lever on the side. I flipped the lever and the slide fell off.

I learned not to flip the takedown lever while barefoot.

Candiru
November 7, 2008, 01:37 PM
I once managed to accidentally release the bolt on an AR-15 I was looking at. Fortunately, I'd inadvertently put the magazine in upside down beforehand. It probably wouldn't have been quite as embarassing if the person showing me the rifle hadn't been a Bushmaster representative.

subierex
November 7, 2008, 01:45 PM
Mine was not that embarrassing but I have to admit that I've had to do the "WalMart Walk of Shame". :barf:

jkittle99
November 7, 2008, 04:15 PM
Ok I'll bite. I was at the range (pretty new place, not many holes yet) shooting my Taurus PT-101 (40 S&W). Had a malfunction. Loaded round in the chamber, jammed 2nd round, couldn't get the mag to remove. The gun was cocked, and I didn't understand the function of (or know my gun had) a decocker - nor the proper ways to handle malfunctions. I tried to manually decock, but apparently I was not gentle enuff. I had an AD, shot a hole in the floor and concrete chunks went flying. I WAS however smart enough to keep the gun pointing in a safe direction (downrange) but wasn't smart enough to ask the range boss for help. I have now learned my lesson.

I'm still embarrassed to show my face at that range, although the range boss didnt give me too much crap for it (another shooter beside me was ready to run and tell his mommy - what a whiney butt).

release879
November 7, 2008, 05:25 PM
I had an M44 Mosin Nagant.

I was 15. I had fantasies about a home invasion.

I had practiced quickly and quietly cocking the rifle. I had loaded a live round:what: and inadvertently forgotten to unload it.

I pointed it out the window, pretending to aim at someone. I pulled the trigger.

Went through the window, 2 2'' by 4'' s and a 4'' by 4'' (a pole holding up my terrace), and into the shed, where the bullet resides today. I never found an exit hole in the shed, though I found the entry hole. Luckily I didn't actually point it at anyone.

Needless to say, I don't load my firearms in the house any more.

44Magnum
November 7, 2008, 05:38 PM
Big Boomer, that was hilarious!

Famous last words: "It must be a compressed load." :what:

mata777
November 7, 2008, 05:38 PM
Nobody was around to see this, but still embarassing to me. I had my first ar transfered to me about 7 years ago. My dealer simply checked the serial # I filled out the paper work and I walked out a happy camper. Got home and took me a while to figure out how to work the action!

renegade1alpha
November 7, 2008, 06:00 PM
Actually as far as Hi Points go, they may be hideous, but they do shoot. A guy I know bought one in 9mm and we put about 500 rounds through it one afternoon without a hitch.

As for me, I own a Clerke 1st 5-shot revolver in .32 S&W Long (deep sigh). Took it in trade because a guy owed me money for helping him move some furniture. Should have taken the $20 instead! Made of pot metal and has no rifling to speak of. I dont shoot it, I show it to friends and we get a laugh out of it.

And on a more stupid note; once while conducting training on the M2 .50 Cal machine gun I told a soldier, after he had just put a few hundred rounds put through it, to make sure it was cleared and pulled off the firing line. He cleared it and he and another soldier immediately attempted to move it off line. One soldier grabbed the handles at the rear and he grabbed the barrel... bare handed! I watched but couldn't get the words out fast enough. you could actually hear the hiss as the bare flesh on his hand made contact with the hot barrel. He immediately pulled his hand back and you could see skin on the barrel and wisps of smoke rising up. Needless to say he went to the hospital. I think he learned a lesson that day.

44Magnum
November 7, 2008, 06:04 PM
Okay, here's mine. When I was a new shooter I had an older friend (the guy was in his 60's and I was 19) that showed me his single action revolver. He quickly flipped open the gate, went to half cock, and checked the cylinder for empty. He handed it back with the loading gate closed. I knew it was proper etiquette to check the weapon yourself, so I opened the gate and tried to turn the cylinder. Of course, it wouldn't move because I hadn't noticed that you had to go to half cock. I just stood there looking at it like a dummy. I couldn't ask for help. I was a teenager, and therefore knew how to do everything. :rolleyes: After what seemed like a nervous eternity I handed it back. I looked up at his face and we both broke out laughing at the same time.

You know, come to think of it I always had more old friends as a kid than other kids my age. Strange. :confused:

MikePGS
November 7, 2008, 06:11 PM
A buddy and I were at the local shooting range. I was renting something (can't remember what) and he was trying to sight in his new savage .30-06. The only other rifle I had ever fired before was a .22 lr, though I fired my shotgun pretty frequently. Anyways, I put the gun up to my shoulder, looked carefully through the scope, and leaned in just to where my safety glasses were touching it. Needless to say I was in for a nasty surprised when it recoiled (not as bad as I thought it would be, but still dumb of me to have my glasses so close). Awkwardly, i made a dash out to the bathroom to get something to mop up the steady trickle of blood coming out of my forehead (still have a scar, just a little one though) and one of the employees of the store came in looking horrified and asking if I was ok. Of course, when I sheepishly explained what happened, I can only imagine that he had a great deal of difficulty keeping a straight face.

craig
November 7, 2008, 08:11 PM
i learned that beretta mags will NOT fit in a cz 75 no matter how hard you try, or how much you cuss those cheap mags you bought.:o

devilc
November 7, 2008, 11:18 PM
I am not ashamed of any of my guns.
I have some doosies too.
Taurus M17 in .17HMR
Walther G22
Cobray M11
And that's just the beginning.

Aren't we all
November 8, 2008, 10:58 AM
Once I was browsing at a gunshop and another customer is talking to the owner at the counter, he is looking at a Colt 1911A1 and he asks if he could dry fire it with snap caps. The owner of course appreciates the snap caps and says yes, so he chambers it and pulls the trigger. BOOM! the colt goes off:what: blowing apart the glass counter and permanently destroyed a Walther P38. The owner was mad, to say the least. It was pretty embarassing when the cops showed up.
I, am glad to say I have done nothing that bad yet.

Marsh

Friendly, Don't Fire!
November 8, 2008, 04:07 PM
Snap Caps my Britches!

LOL

That was good (bad)!

hadmanysons
November 8, 2008, 09:31 PM
Kel-Tec P-11 9mm, worked better as a paper weight

hostilecrab
November 8, 2008, 09:58 PM
Two experiences.

One. Went in to sporting goods shop to go buy some ammo. Picked up a couple of boxes and was ready to head over to checkout counter. One of the boxes slipped out of my hands and hit the ground. All of this happened right in front of a bunch of guys behind the gun counter. (Big Sigh) Whenever I buy any ammo now, I use a cart or find a box to put them in.

Two. When buying my AR, the shop owner was attempting to show me how to operate and basic field stripping. Chamber flag plastic thingy was still in the chamber. The owner tried to open the upper from lower, but couldn't, until I pointed out that maybe it might have something to do with the chamber flag. Both of us just laughed.

jgorniak
November 9, 2008, 08:23 PM
First time shooting in years, went to the range with some friends. I had just got a S&W 9mm Sigma and was really going to town. One friend offered to let me shoot his P3AT, less than half of the S&W's size. Using about the same grip, that Kel-Tec's slide bit me HARD on the knuckle of my thumb. Lots of blood, even more embarassment.

To make sure no one else suffered such a fate, I bought it from him.

Carry it daily.

scythefwd
November 9, 2008, 08:45 PM
Watched my old man shoot a 410 derringer. After he shot, he turned around, bent over, and picked the gun back up.

Had a friend I was shooting with (me, my wife, and about 4 of his friends as well) and he forgot to take the safety off of his 9mm before pulling the trigger. Gun must have been silenced because his hands jerked up about 3 inches but there wasn't any noise what so ever (and he turned just a bit red). I think I mentioned that he "might have a little bit of a flinch there".

johncantiusgarand
November 9, 2008, 10:31 PM
I was 18 and wanting a rifle. At the local gunshop was a M1 Garand. I asked to see it, he kicked the bolt open and handed it to me. I had never held one. The bolt wouldn't close so I poked around in the inside of it with my finger .... OOOWWWW !!!!

Funny, I did almost exactly the same thing when I examined my first Garand. Except it was I who locked the bolt to the rear. I was reflecting light off my pinkie fingernail at the breech while I looked down the muzzle to check the bore. Turned out the bolt wasn't actually locked to the rear--just resting against the angled rear edge of the follower. The bolt let go while my pinkie was still in the way. I lost all immediate interest in that Garand. OOOWWW!!! My finger was still throbbing about two hours later, so I decided that if I was going to hurt that much, I might as well have something good to show for it. I went back to the gun store and bought that Garand.

expvideo
November 10, 2008, 04:19 PM
-Phoenix Raven .25 auto for $75
-Clear/Smoke Promag AK mags 4/$49.99

22lr
November 10, 2008, 04:22 PM
I bought a .410 single shot shotgun. Had no use for it, but got a killer deal on it. I traded it for a pistol and made a $100 out of the deal so it had a happy ending at least.

BHP FAN
November 10, 2008, 09:39 PM
Bought a original Colt .41 #1 pattern derringer,in shootable condition for fifty bucks.Got rid of it about a year later because I couldn't find any ammo.Got $200.00 for it.Thought I did real well.Gun's ACTUAL value,at the time? EIGHT to TWELVE HUNDERED DOLLARS! Sigh...

ZeroCool
November 10, 2008, 10:00 PM
Had just received my first pistol (Walther P99 - 9mm) and was still living at my parents house at the time. My mom was very anti-gun and it took me and my Dad forever to convince her that it was ok to have a pistol in the house.

Loving every second of holding that Walther, I played with it constantly. One time while on the "throne", I was practicing loading/unloading magazines. I accidentally dropped a single WWB 9mm round and of course it ended up in the drink. I heard the splash but couldnt see the round and I damn sure wasnt going to go fishing for it. I flushed the toilet and thought that was the end of it.

About 3 days later I woke up to my mom yelling at me at the foot of my bed. The 9mm round was in the bottom of the toilet :what:! I honestly dont know how it happened; that toilet must have been flushed at least 20 times between the time I dropped it and the time it resurfaced. Needless to say I was forced to fish it out.

The best part of the story is that I fired that round at my next range session. It was noticeably darker than the rest but fired/fed just fine after being submerged for 3 days.

Huddog
November 10, 2008, 10:35 PM
Dropped 2 .38 rounds down a sink and had to disassemble the trap to get them out. I also ask for and received an AR-7 for christmas one year.

BBQJOE
November 10, 2008, 10:46 PM
First time firing a 44 mag. My buddy loaded it, and handed it to me.
The first shot, KABOOM! I managed to keep a hold of the gun, but the recoil sent my arms into the air.
Second shot, KABOOM! Same thing.
Third shot, my arms again went up in the air, as the gun went click.:D

Yeah, funny guy. Only put in five rounds, then spun the barrel.

NCSUPackman
November 10, 2008, 10:49 PM
I also lost the recoil spring to a 1911. I was field stripping/cleaning my Kimber TLE and the wrench slipped and I watched that spring go over the back fence; never found it and I had to buy another one.

I was explaining why I had to buy a new recoil sping at my local shop and an old timer said that most people do that once. Then added "At least to didn't hit yourself in the eye!"

WNTFW
November 10, 2008, 11:02 PM
When I was a kid my dad fooled with Milsurp stuff. I always saw new guns packed in comso. One day I buy my first real NIB gun. When it comes in I get a call & I went to go pick it up. I ask the guy (who I knew) at the gun store if the gun was new. He looks at me like I'm a bit off. So I say why isn't it packed in cosmoline. Turns out he knew nothing about cosmoline.

Sounds like a 2 for 1 special. We both learned something. Both of our dads had a good laugh.

redfireftr
November 11, 2008, 12:14 AM
The first time I handled a pistol I suffered from slide bite. It was a S&W 9mm but I forget the model.

Another incident, I was at the range with my boss and had not shot pistols much at this time and after I shot 2 mags with his P226 .40 he pulled the target towards us and counted the holes and there were a few missing... It was embarassing at the time but since then I made it a priority to get out to the range more often.

zammyman
November 11, 2008, 01:10 AM
Was work on the action of a Yugo SKS, slammed it closed on my finger... didn't feel too good.

Sinixstar
November 11, 2008, 01:35 AM
Mine happened at a very young age.
I was around 12 or so, at boyscout camp. Went down to the rifle range with a couple fellow campers. Being one of the only ones with any shooting experience, and being only 12 - naturally I was bragging a bit on the way.
Get there - pretty basic set-up for that kinda situation. Simple Bolt Action .22's with peep sights. I detest peep sights.

Anyways - my group's turn to shoot, get to the line, go through the procedure, shoot our 5 rounds.
Walk down to get my target and gloat to my friends, and - what the hell? There's no holes ANYWHERE on my paper. It's 30 yards, how could I miss?!?!
Kid next to me? "why do i have 10 holes on my target!?!?!"

Needless to say, I didn't impress anyone.

Mach2
November 11, 2008, 01:39 AM
I was about 5 yrs old. My dad brought home a deactivated 50 cal bullet with holes in the casing so nobody could mistake it for live. Turns out the holes were the same size as a 22short I had found. I tried to hammer the 22s into the hole of the 50 cal casing and bam! The 22s bullet went through the skin of my left index finger. Bled like heck. I've been more careful around ammo ever since.

rjewell
November 11, 2008, 01:40 AM
One time was out at the range and i was firing my glock 27 at the time and i heard a little scream next to me, apperently my shell casing went down the girls shirt that was firing next to me..... :neener:

And every time i go to the gun store its kind of embarrasing because i guess of my "shakey" back ground, i always get put on a 5 day hold..

Grizfire
November 11, 2008, 02:13 AM
There's no holes ANYWHERE on my paper. It's 30 yards, how could I miss?!?!
Kid next to me? "why do i have 10 holes on my target!?!?!"

At least you hit what you were aiming at. My embarrassing moments are usually the other way around.

RippinSVT
November 11, 2008, 02:15 AM
I've got a few...

-Buying a Saiga .410. Cool gun, but absolutely worthless fo ANYTHING

-I was loading some AK mags with 7.62x39 (duh) in low light the first day I bought my AK, and I guess my buddy had thrown a .223 round in the box. I couldn't figure out why a round wouldn't fire, so I kept cycling the bolt and "click". After about 5 times, it went boom, and I spent the next 30 minutes prying it out with a screwdriver.

This one isn't my bad...

I went into a local pawn shop a few weeks ago, just to see if they had anything interesting. Two moronic bumpkins walk in with a crappy old off-brand pump 12-GA, the couple was obvious strung out on something, or just that dumb. They gave the gun to the clerk to see what they'd get for it. Anyways, I'm looking across the counter at the rifle selection while the guy behind the counter cycles the action as they all do and I catch a flash of red in my peripherals. I look over, and I see a live round being fed into the chamber, but could barely believe my eyes. The clerk had the gun aimed at a 45-degree angle just up over us, with his finger on the trigger. It felt like slow-motion, but I grabbed the barrel and forced it up towards the ceiling and starting screaming "don't pull the trigger!" They all looked at me funny when I said that, and then I said there was a round in the chamber and they all rolled their eyes. Sure enough, he cycled the action and a #4 12-GA shell popped out onto the ground. Their responose? "Whoa, good thing he didn't pull the trigger. (then laughs)" I looked right at the 3 of them (clerk included) and told them they were ignorant f-ing morons and we could've been killed, and stormed out. Haven't been back since.

A-190
November 11, 2008, 02:18 AM
Ok but this one really stings.

Just turned 21 and I buy a box of bullets for my S&W 67,
Latter I had to go back to that gun shop and have the owner explain to me that a S&W 38 and a S&W 38 special are not the same and that was why my new box of bullets wouldn't fit into the gun.

He had a good laugh at my expense but did give me the correct box of rounds in 38 special for the cost of the 38 S&W. :what:

IN>IL
November 11, 2008, 09:31 AM
I own a pheonix .22

Zangetsu
November 11, 2008, 09:39 AM
I was out shooting with a friend of mine. One of the drills we do is to load up each others magazines with a combination of live and dummy rounds. Well, during this transition, he hands me a magazine for my G20 (10mm) and right before I put it in and try to fire away, I see that the bullets in the magazine looked much fatter than they usually do, and then feel my eyes go like this :eek: as I realize that the magazine was full of .45 ACP instead. I turn around and look at him and explain what he had just done, and being a new shooter, he gives me a sorta matter of fact look not really realizing what had just happened. Apparently, something got lost in translation in the range since neither of us can hear with the headphones, and when I handed him some .45 ACP to load up the magazine that was behind him while putting down an empty from my G20, he thought I meant load the G20 mag with .45 ACP, when I assumed he'd know better and instead load one of the empty .45 ACP magazines that he had just put down.

I tried to pull the rounds out of that magazine but couldn't even get one to budge, and was starting to worry that the magazine was shot, when he asked to take a look at it. So I handed it back to him and he somehow got them out as easily as he put them in, and I just stood and watched in disbelief as he managed to pull out 15 rounds of .45 ACP out of that G20 mag. Apparently he saw the 15 round marker on it and wasn't going to let anything stop him from getting 15 rounds in there :o

After that I loaded up the mag a few times and it still functioned flawlessly, and to this day I can't tell which one of the magazines has been...defiled by .45 ACP. :rolleyes:

I had other moment, with that same piece coincidentally enough, but this time the stupidity had nothing to do with me or anyone I was with. I was at Dick's Sporting Goods with my dad, who was scoping out some ammo prices, when he asks me if I have enough 10mm. I laugh a little bit and tell him that there's no way that they would stock any of that here. He agrees, but insists that it never hurts to ask, and gets the attention of the guy behind the counter, and the conversation went as follows:

"Excuse me sir, do you have any 10mm?"

::employee dons an expression of complete confusion:: "Yeah, we have tons of 9mm over there..."

"Yeah, I see that, but I was looking for 10mm."

::the confusion grows:: "..10...millimeter? (long pause) Is...that even a real cartridge?"

....and for the next 15 minutes I watched my dad try to talk this bonehead into believing that yes, there does indeed exist a 10mm autoloading pistol cartridge. It was like watching a 1st grader talk another into the existence of santa or the tooth fairy. Needless to say, I couldn't help laughing to myself when I wasn't completely disgusted with the level of knowledge of the people hired to sell guns and ammo to others, some of whom having even less knowledge than them. Talk about the blind leading the blind...

jcnaz
November 11, 2008, 10:53 AM
I once bought an old Rem.5mm.Mag.

jpatterson
November 11, 2008, 05:12 PM
Oh wow, where to begin....

Dropped the slide of my XD.45 on my thumb while at the range once. OUCH.
When first handed a locked back Glock (first experience with any handgun) I kinda just looked at it, dumbfounded by how to release the slide and handed it back looking like a complete moron.
First firearm purchase of my own I made about 50 trips to and from Cabela's (about 35 minutes from my house) because I kept not having the right paperwork to complete the sale form.
Shot an AR all day and then immediately afterward switched to a shortbarreled 870 with a tube full of 00 Magnum.
Raccoon eyed first time shooting a 7mm.

At least nothing DANGEROUS, per se... :)

JDGray
November 11, 2008, 06:42 PM
I was picking up a SAW-10/22 conversion, that was described as rugged, accurate, cost the guy $900 to build, from my ffl. My Dealer knew I traded a nice 1911 for this, and we both looked at each other when I opened the bubble wrap:eek: The first thing I did was pull the plastic front sight off, trying to get the last piece of tape off, and it just went south from there. That was embarassing!! My Dealer said "Well...... I bet your Boy will like it" He felt so bad for me, he didn't charge me a transfer fee.

DaveBeal
November 11, 2008, 07:52 PM
In my first and only combat handgun class I pinched myself in the slide badly enough that I bled all over the gun.

Instructor said he had done the same thing in a class once and bled so badly that his instructor slipped and fell in it. I'm not sure I believe him, but it was nice of him to try to allay my embarrassment.

QUICK_DRAW_McGRAW
November 11, 2008, 10:33 PM
buying from a online suplier, not being told or shown that tax is added on later and not shown on the web site, then not reciving the correct amount of ammo i had ordered.

paid total of $260 for 1K rounds and only recived 860rounds.

will never order from surplusammo.com again.

buying a Rossi M461 .357mag snubbie, put 2 158grain .357's through it and 200rnds of .38 special before the firing pin broke. it WAS my main carry gun.

physics
November 12, 2008, 04:27 PM
Researching after the purchase... the bane of my existence. That's how I recently acquired a low serial number 1903.

Speaking of which, anyone want to buy a low serial 1903? PM me. :D

Echo Tango
November 12, 2008, 05:15 PM
I currently own a case of remington 20 gauge shot shells, and have never owned a 20 gauge in my life. Guess I should have looked a little closer before I walked out of the store with it.

freonr22
November 12, 2008, 05:42 PM
we went to the range when was 10, my dad (pete) and my uncle (sam) to teach me how to shoot a pump shotgun (i dont remember what it was). so we shoot a couple time and it jams.. the three of us huddle over it and my father starts to unscrew the magazine cap under the barrel, in front of the forend. Sam says "Pete be careful, theres a spring in there" now im 10 and really curious, so of course my face is right in the middle of everything checking it all out. "Pete be careful, theres a spring in there" he says again as my dad unscrews the cap, and all of a sudden... WOW the spring hit me right in the face and i had these grease/oil marks ALL over my face. Since then i have given much respect to firearms..

ps google carlino colorado, my grandfather was the al capone of southern colorado the second and third listed tell a little story

cchurchi
November 13, 2008, 03:11 PM
I ordered a TRL-1 weapon sight and (2) lancer 30 round magazines. When they arrived last week, I was so excited to get the TRL-1 out of it's box and on my rifle that I didn't notice the lancer magazines under the styrofoam peanuts. Later, I tossed the box in the garbage.:banghead:

Right now, there are 2 perfectly good ar-15 mags sitting in a land-fill somewhere.

dpart77
November 13, 2008, 03:53 PM
Galyans (sp) sporting goods was closing by me. I saw a pretty good deal on shot shells. $5.00 per CASE. No joke a CASE for $5.00. I had not fired a shot gun in years so I thought I would buy a case and get back into it. (no idea what a fair price for shotgun shells was) About a week later I saw that the same loads were selling for $4.50 per BOX. I could have had a pallet of shells that would have lasted a life time for $500 bucks.

Yup it's official..........I'm an idiot

hemiram
November 13, 2008, 06:01 PM
Put a new grip on my Dan Wesson Model 15-2, and didn't know if the screw is too long, you can make the gun have the hairiest of hair triggers. When I cocked it to shoot, the muzzle was angled up and it went off instantly, and blew a hole in the roof of the range. I was mortified, but didn't feel all that bad, as one of the owners did the same thing a week before. I paid my "stupidity fee", and ground the screw down, and went back to shooting.

David (L-MN)
November 13, 2008, 11:58 PM
oh god, watched idly by as my friend emptied the bb's out of his shell and fired, we thot it was kinda cool for some dumb reason, only we did not know that the plug did not make it outta the barrel. next shot we left bb's in, BOOM went the end of the barrel and bent and split open it was left, twas a sad day

wbrown609
November 14, 2008, 01:16 AM
While in high school, I Had to make a trip to the emergency room to get stitches in my forehead. I took my .270 out to make sure the scope was still sighted in correctly. I laid it on my arm across the bed of the truck and shot at the target. I think it was a combination of not gripping the forearm of the gun and having my eye to close to the scope, but it popped back and the scope made a nice half moon split in my forehead. It was hard to hide that wound for a while, and I still have a small scar to show for my troubles and that was almost twenty years ago.

Ignition Override
November 14, 2008, 02:22 AM
wbrown:
That just happened to a middle-aged friend when we were down in Hernando. He has been around guns a long time but he only had a little bleeding. Might have been his Dragunov or a guy's .308.

About a week ago went to a familiar edge of a steep riverbank with an acquaintance and his 15-year old son. Really nice people.
They had never shot anything except a .22 (the Dad only bbs or Airsoft).
We went from the .22 to the the Mini 14, then 30, SKS and onto the Mosin Boomstick. The son actually enjoyed the ancient .22 Savage as much as or more than any of them (the lighter weight/no recoil and small bead sight which does not shoot high?).

Well, not wanting to pollute the river with a large Tropicana jug blasted into three pieces, I decided to climb down the 18-20 foot riverbank to get it, after Glen said that his son could collect the debris.
Guess what?
Those old exposed white tree roots are not always green and strong.:o

Instead of choosing to slide down on my butt, leaned back for the descent, trusting the 2-inch-thick root. It snapped and I fell butt/back-first about 8 feet vertical with a half-roll near the bottom, but the curving slope and dirt prevented any injury, except to my pride/dignity. Climbing up was much easier and I could only make fun of myself. Luckily we had finished shooting.
Glad that the Lord helped keep this 53 yr.-old Dummkopf gesund and safe. Never mess with heights. Part of a serious back/neck injury might be with you until you meet those twenty five virgins...

Funderb
November 14, 2008, 02:30 AM
I bought a bryco .380 from a friend who needed the cash. Knowingly yes.
The embarrassing part was the fact that I crap talked it all the way to the range, and 2000 rounds and a few years later, I still shoot it when I want to blow off steam by rapid firing everything but the target.

ImReady77
November 19, 2008, 12:38 AM
I went to a gun store to buy a shotgun and I told the salesman I was ready to buy so then the salesman asked for my drivers license but I forgot to bring my drivers license to the store.

Axess Denyd
November 19, 2008, 01:33 AM
first time I fired a handgun (my new Makarov) I got my weak hand thumb with the slide. Oh well, I thought, lesson learned (wouldn't it be nice if I'd tried to find someone to actually teach me to shoot?)

I took someone visiting from Hawaii to shoot a few months later...and he got his thumb sliced open by the slide. I feel bad on that because I should have known enough to check his grip.

I also shot the striker and recoil spring across the room after removing the barrel on my brand new Beretta Neos. Luckily they were easy to find.

mod700
November 19, 2008, 12:46 PM
got one to tell on my dad....it was muzzleloading season and i am the designated gun cleaner, shooter, and maintenince man. But i dont ususally clean his guns unless he asks me too. one night a few years ago before a hunt that next day we were getting things organized for the hunt. HE MEANT to tell me to unload and clean his gun the night before, and proceded to fire a primer through the barrel to burn the extra oil out. after deciding not to fire the primer it in the house because of the smell and the smoke it would make, he stuck it out the door of the back yard.....BOOOOOOOM:what:......just with i could have been a fly on the wall to watch that one.:D

cobra2411
November 19, 2008, 01:10 PM
I've got a couple...

I've had the slide issue before... Didn't know how to close it or if I should so I handed it back. The guy must have known because he closed the slide and handed it back to me...

When I bought my first new bolt action the bolt was a little sticky. I'm so used to them being easy I thought it was some kinda fancy lawyer thing and had to ask the guy how to open the bolt...

When I bought my first rifle at a gun show I felt like such a criminal. There's no paperwork or forms needed with long guns in PA as long as you're not a dealer. Still I couldn't shake the "criminal" feeling when I handed the guy money and he handed me a gun... Didn't even give him my name...

natecade1
November 19, 2008, 01:25 PM
I walked into the gun store yesterday to purchase another 25 mag for the 10/22 and walked out with a Mosin-Nagant

cobra2411
November 19, 2008, 01:27 PM
I WAS however smart enough to keep the gun pointing in a safe direction

Years ago I was at a range and a guy had a jam he was trying to clear with the gun pointed down the firing line... AND he was banging it on the bench.... LOTS of PO'd people that day... Fortunately nothing happened...

ratcollector
November 19, 2008, 05:39 PM
went to a gun show with some of my buddys decided to buy our vet (dog dr) a grad present and picked out a nice black hawk. bought a hundred rounds of 38 and and had the barrel engraved. He was excited and we all went to the range. once there we found out it had a 9mm cylinder. should learn to look closer. got him some new ammo and he has it to this day

4thPointOfContact
November 19, 2008, 09:04 PM
For me it was the purchase of a Calico M-900 carbine. It's a neat little thing that has either a 50-round or 100-round helical feed magazine on top. (Think of a single-stack magazine wrapped up like a car's coil spring). I bought it for my wife because it was the lightest 9mm carbine I could find.

It worked...mostly, but it would occasionally double; which may have been a break-in problem. I didn't have enough confidence in it for real-world use and the construction was a bit on the less-than-sturdy side. I traded it in for a Glock 23 later on.

evan price
November 20, 2008, 02:31 AM
I was at the outdoor ODNR range one drizzly late autumn say shooting one of my FALs when a guy takes the bench beside me and takes out an AK. He said he'd never seen or shot a FAL before, and wondered how hard they were to clean. I cracked it open and for some reason turned the gun upside down while it was broken open and >splat< the bolt carrier & bolt slid out and landed in a mud puddle. The rat-tail stuck in the mud straight down. Would have been funny except I didn't have anything to wipe it clean with except my shirt.

WardenWolf
November 20, 2008, 03:09 AM
Popped the top cover off my new Romak-3 while inspecting it at the dealer and couldn't get it back on. The guy showed me how to get it back on. Typically Soviet, it required a mild whack.

Autopistola
November 27, 2008, 11:18 PM
#1 I picked up a .22 revolver my Dad had left sitting by the back door to pick off rabbits from the garden. I violated the rule "assume that every gun is loaded," and fired a round into the cabinet right above the fridge. A tiny hole resides in that cabinet door next to the hinge and nobody has noticed it to this very day (good because I am rightfully embarrased).

#2 A young friend of mine fell in love with a Pheonix Arms HP22 at a gun show. The damned thing was filthy and worn out, but it sold for $160 (more than a new one) and I gifted it to him. I got nervous when he would joke about shooting people with it, but eventually got it back in my possession because he owed me money. Still a POS, but now more reliable with a cracked slide. Pheonix Arms will probably give me a free replacement should I care enought to return it.

turnyourback
November 27, 2008, 11:42 PM
One time was out at the range and i was firing my glock 27 at the time and i heard a little scream next to me, apperently my shell casing went down the girls shirt that was firing next to me.....

haha, i did the same thing, but to myself. it wasn't embarrassing as much as just funny. i still have a little scar from the .45 shell casing. i learned not to wear low cut shirts while shooting after that.

dispatch55126
November 28, 2008, 12:00 AM
Farm Stories

1. Found a box of authentic Spencer rounds in great grandma's room. Took them into the barn, popped off the bullets, poured the powder on the "straw covered" floor and lit the blackpowder. Somehow, the barn didn't burn down and now I have no rounds for the Spencer, which my father still owns.

2. 15 years ago, a friend and I build a potato gun but were running short of ammo so we started firing half a potato and cans of soup, oats, ect. 6 months later, it was still on the side of the barn and guess who had to scrub it off.

3. Use to load 10+ BB's into the chamber and try to hit barn swallows as they left the cow pens. Never hit a bird but shot out several barn windows (anyone seeing a common theme).

4. My father has never bought a gun but has several that are from the 20's (family heirlooms). Every fall, I take one home to fully strip, clean and repair as needed. I then function check them in the spring with my father standing 50 feet behind me. His thought process is eventually, one will blow up and someone needs to drive to the hospital.

This is dumb but to show a change in times, I remember walking down the highway as a kid with my rifle and passing cops would wave and sometimes sounds their sirens.

CSestp
November 28, 2008, 12:24 AM
#1 Out of all my friends I was the only hunter, so therefor I was the only "expert" in the field of guns. My buddy had just gotten a 12 gauge pistol grip w/o a stock. We went to the range and was trying out his new scatter gun. Nobody was able to hit anything with it. I told them "Let me show you how to really shoot a gun." I pulled it up like I was shooting a duck (looking down the sights) let her off, and for some reason I thought I was going to look cool if I rapid fired her, pumped another round into the chamber. Well I still have the scar above my lip to remind me to just hip fire the damn thing.

#2 I had a friend who liked to have Hunter S. Thompson moments. Well in one of his moments he let off a .357 Mag in a 750 square foot aprt. towards his TV. My ears still ring when I think of that time. It was still pretty funny seeing 5 people run out side and figure out what to do before the cops show up when non of them can hear anything.

shimniok
November 28, 2008, 01:05 AM
I'll fess up... first time on the range with the M39 Finn, many months after checking headspace... Work the bolt and chamber a round ... Line up the sights downrange... pull the trigger... <click>

I forgot the mental note I made months prior to adjust the firing pin before shooting it... I gave the cartridge a little time... the half dent in the primer never set it off.

But hey -- at least I didn't flinch!

Michael

4thPointOfContact
November 28, 2008, 01:10 AM
Boomer....or at least that became his nickname after everyone learned about the experience.

Boomer and I were working down in Mobile and staying at the Battleship Inn which I believe is a Best Western. We had finished our week's work and were going to go shooting on Saturday.
Saturday morning comes and Boomer comes down to my room where I'm playing a PC game on my laptop. As I'm defeating the minions of Darkness I observe Boomer open the gun rug, count out 6 rounds and place them into his pocket. We converse for a moment longer and then while he's practicing his sight picture -BOOM!- And I do a quick check to see if I still have all my limbs intact. Looking up, there's Boomer with the goofiest, guiltiest abso-fracking-lutely Dumbest look on his face and you can literally see the thought process going on behind his eyes. "I...put...the...shells...in...my.....p o c k e t ! ! ? ?" Yeah, apparently he HAD but he had also sorta neglected to clear his Smith & Wesson 29 .44 Magnum before waving it around.

With our ears ringing we surveyed the room and found a small chunk missing from the ceiling and a smaller chunk from a wall. We opened the window and tried to get the smoke and smell out of the room. Kinda sounds like what people do when doing a little marijuana doesn't it? We're (correction, HE's) desperate to eliminate any evidence of wrongdoing, I'm waiting for the knock on the door from the management telling us to GTFO.

After a quick conference, we decide the best course of action is to put the Do Not Disturb sign on the door, and to sneak out past the front desk, hiding out until it gets dark. We open the door and right in front of us is the cleaning lady. YIKES!

"Is everything okay, boys? Y'all need your room made up or clean towels?"
"Uhhhh... mm.. No Ma'am! we're good, don't need a thing, thanks, bye, see you later!"

We talked about it as soon as we made the safety of the parking lot. Why didn't anyone report gun shots, why didn't anyone Notice the loud noise?

The working theory we came up with is this. There's a loud noise that no one was expecting and it caught them by surprise. They put turn down the tv, or put down whatever they were doing and listen carefully to see what it was. Nothing further is heard. They say to themselves "What was that, a gunshot? firecracker? Did I really hear that? I don't hear any more gunshots, I don't hear any sirens.... if I don't hear anything in the next five minutes I'll just pretend not to have noticed it."

It could easily have been much worse, one of the targets he had in his sights was the screen on my laptop. We could also have been in another hotel, one that wasn't constructed with such a complete concrete shell and the bullet could have penetrated the room and into the next floor.

DRZinn
November 28, 2008, 01:45 AM
anyone seeing a common themeSo you're saying you can hit the broad side of a barn?

john44402
November 28, 2008, 05:18 PM
I walked into the gun store yesterday to purchase another 25 mag for the 10/22 and walked out with a Mosin-Nagant

That's not too bad.

Read the add yesterday for a Big 5 Sporting Goods sale. Mosin's for $99. Sheesh can't go wrong. Hey, it shoots 7.62x52R. Hmmm, that sounds like an East-Block designation for 308.

Errr...not so.

scythefwd
November 28, 2008, 06:51 PM
Hey, I saw a Mosin yesterday for 80. I almost made a mistake and bought it.... THEN I realized that there was no front sight post:) There was only the ramp with the dovetail missing.. hehehehehehe.

subknave
November 28, 2008, 08:29 PM
"One time was out at the range and i was firing my glock 27 at the time and i heard a little scream next to me, apperently my shell casing went down the girls shirt that was firing next to me..... "

You should have asked if you could get the casing back to reload.

I went to the gun range with my brand new never shot semiauto AK. Load up a magazine, put it in, rack the bolt. Line up the sights and pull the trigger. BAM, BAM. What the heck? did it just fire two rounds or did I just hear somebody else?? Operate the bolt and an unfired round comes out. OK, line it up and pull the trigger, BAM, BAM. WHAT THE HECK!! I take off the top cover and the hammer is all the way forward. I was like holy ****. I was just lucky it didn't just keep shooting until it ran out of ammo. Apparently the hammer had a slight ridge on it which kept the sear from fully engaging. Once I filed that off it worked fine.

Grassman
November 28, 2008, 08:51 PM
We were sitting in a duck blind at 5a.m. just got the decoys out, sitting in the blind and loading my 870. It was cold and I guess my gloves tripped the trigger, right over my buddies head sitting next to me. Not real funny at the time, but a very good lesson in gun safety. That never happened again, my buddy was deaf for an hour.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
November 28, 2008, 09:03 PM
At the range one time, shooting my Kel Tec P3AT - was getting erratic accuracy. Guy next to me gets to talking with me - he points out that my ammo is .32 acp, not .380 - I had forgotten that 7.65mm is .32, not .38 - :eek:

I was looking at an RWS 34 airgun on the used gun rack. I wanted to check the trigger to see if it was metal or plastic...As I was checking it I pulled the trigger in the process...BOOM!

Who cocked it - you or someone else?

Grassman
November 28, 2008, 09:15 PM
I'll post this in place of my buddy, actually happened to him. Duck hunting again, sitting in the duck blind right about shooting time.I drew on some mallards and all I hear was "thunk". The steel shot just rolled out of the end of the barrel with the wadding stuck in the end of the gun in the choke. I borrowed my buddy's leatherman to dig the wadding out of the end of the gun, then the knife collapsed and I really cut the crap out of my hand, damn near to the bone, blood just pouring out. My buddy looked over at me, got white as a sheet and passed clean out! Ruined his whole day, we still give him hell about it. I guess I had gotten my shells wet putting out decoys because it happened again that day.

Grassman
November 28, 2008, 10:32 PM
I'm not ashamed to admit it, I own a Hi-Point .380, only paid $100 for it, and it has never jammed.

steve jackson
November 29, 2008, 01:19 PM
Saturday after Thanksgiving, 1977 - Waldo Ohio. Two buddies from high school and I went "bird" hunting. It was like 90 bellow with the wind chill. I had an old Mossburg 16 ga. bolt action I had borrowed from my Explorer Post leader.
This was the fifth time I had been hunting - no hunter safety course in Ohio then!
Wind started to blow my hat off as we were walking down the rarilroad tracks back to the car. Put the gun between my legs - barrel pointing up - and started to fix my hat:what:.....BOOM!!!!!! :cuss:Yep - up two feet and back 10 - almost down six.
Laid on those tracks for and hour and a half while my friend ran to the car and then drove to the nearest farm house to get help and call an ambulance.
Went to Marion General hospital for 10 days.... another week in Columbus.
Funny thing.... that was 31 years ago today..... seems like it was yesterday.
Been a great ride ever since - going goose hunting in a few minutes.
Gods Blessings to all!!!!

FM12
November 29, 2008, 01:51 PM
My boss caries a Taurus...on duty. (Heavy sigh, head down)

2nd 41
November 29, 2008, 02:06 PM
I bought a Mossberg Cruiser at Sports Authority in Phila years ago. Got walked to the door....I said to the manager I need a bag to cover the box up. You're worried about me but I'm more concerned with the people in the parking lot seeing my purchase and considering robbing it from me. She gave me a large trash bag to put it in.

Most embarrassing experience: Decided to play kitchen gunsmith one rainy day and took apart a Savage Shot Gun. No instruction booklet on hand. Could not reassemble. Took it to a local gunsmith....told him it self destructed. Both got a good laugh.

larrybob42
November 29, 2008, 02:10 PM
Many years ago, I made my first gun trade. I traded 5 gunshow specials all worth less than $100 each I had been "collecting" for a beautiful nickle Colt Python. (The fellow I traded with was'nt much smarter than me) I kept it for about a month and found it could'nt hit the broadside of a barn (actually the shooter was the problem). Then I noticed a crack in the frame. I was devastated. By the time I found out the crack was really just where the frame comes apart I had myself convinced that it was a lemon. I traded it to my local gunshop even up for a Ruger P89 9mm. One of my biggest regrets. The gunshop owner was very happy with that deal. I got him back a few years later but thats another story. Larry

john917v
November 29, 2008, 03:58 PM
While hunting bushytails with a friend, we stopped a minute to look far out. We both had our .22s pointing downwards, but my finger was outside the trigger guard, and the chamber was empty, his finger was on the trigger, and the chamber had a resident. Suddenly, we heard a CRACK! and we both look down to see a pencil-sized hole in the earth about 6" from his foot! Gun safety works!

Well-Armed Lamb
November 30, 2008, 10:11 AM
4thPointOfContact: your embarrassing incident confirms Boothroyd's Conjecture. Geoffrey Boothroyd, the late gun writer who served as Ian Fleming's technical consultant after writing to point out that the .25 Beretta was an extremely poor choice of firearm for James Bond, told Fleming that he believed that it was possible to get away with a single unsuppressed gunshot in a hotel room.

I've read that Boothroyd actually tested his hypothesis by booking a hotel room in London and firing a handgun round into a log in the fireplace.

Demitrios
January 22, 2009, 01:22 PM
Long time reader, first time poster (AND JUST BOUGHT MY FIRST REVOLVER A DAN WESSON 15-2 WHOOHOO). Anyway, the local gun store/sporting goods place by me, Ramsey Outdoor Store are full of "experts" i.e. "Double action is only for cops who don't know anything!". I was around 17 and my brother was 22 and had just gotten out of the Marine Corps. He wanted to look at an AR 15. Now my brother is the resident expert in the house and the guy behind the counter is basically talking to my brother like he's an idiot. So the phone rings and the clerk excuses himself to get it. As soon as his back was turned my brother field stripped the AR 15 and left it disassembled on the counter. When the clerk came back he had a shocked look on his face while my brother said, "Dude I have no idea what I just did or how to put this thing back together.", turned on one heel and we walked right out the door. I bet the dude was futzing around with it for an hour.

damien
January 22, 2009, 03:00 PM
Once at a rifle range I was having trouble getting an older rifle to sight-in well. It is a fine rifle, mostly my fault. I said a few words I shouldn't have. In the meantime a family with a young daughter have move to the bench nearby. :uhoh: Father was unhappy with my language. I was too, it was very embarassing. I keep that under control better now.

GlowinPontiac
January 22, 2009, 03:53 PM
I was 12 and had just gotten my hunting license and my first shotgun. My father and I were out phesant hunting with no luck. We came upon an old rotten stump and my father told me to take a few practice shots at it. I did fine with my little youth model Mossberg 20ga and then asked my father if I could try his double barrel 12ga. He agreed and handed it to me. In my excitement to finally get to fire it i put a finger on each trigger and pulled..... Both barrels went off. The stump disappeared in a cloud of soggy wood chunks and I ended up on the ground holding the gun in my right hand while clutching my shoulder with my left. I was worried that my father was going to be mad at me for being so dumb after he had showed me how to properly fire the gun. He looked at me with wide eyes for a second and then burst out laughing. I joined in and was nursing my bruised shoulder all the way back to the car. Needless to say I have never made that mistake again!

nwilliams
January 22, 2009, 04:14 PM
I've owned both a Vulcan V94 and a Special Weapons SW5 in the past:o. Both I owned for a matter of months before trying to get rid of them as quickly as I could.

LeonCarr
January 22, 2009, 04:24 PM
Was shooting a Ruger Mini-14 with a buddy, loaded a 40 round USA magazine (I know what ya'll are gonna say, but this one actually worked) and fired 40 rounds as fast as I could pull the trigger at a tree stump about 25 yards away. Bolt locked back on empty chamber, inserted another 40 round mag, fired off about 10 rounds when it cooked off (barrel heat igniting rounds instead of firing pin) and went full auto for 30 rounds :). After regaining my composure, my buddy said, "DO IT AGAIN! DO IT AGAIN! THAT WAS COOL!"

:)

I haven't owned a Mini-14 since.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

damien
January 22, 2009, 04:30 PM
Was shooting a Ruger Mini-14 with a buddy, loaded a 40 round USA magazine (I know what ya'll are gonna say, but this one actually worked) and fired 40 rounds as fast as I could pull the trigger at a tree stump about 25 yards away. Bolt locked back on empty chamber, inserted another 40 round mag, fired off about 10 rounds when it cooked off (barrel heat igniting rounds instead of firing pin) and went full auto for 30 rounds . After regaining my composure, my buddy said, "DO IT AGAIN! DO IT AGAIN! THAT WAS COOL!"

I haven't owned a Mini-14 since.

Can rounds "cook off" quickly enough for a gun to go full auto? I wouldn't think so (unless the metal was thousands of degrees, and then it would melt anyway). Maybe the firing pin got stuck in the the bolt because of thermal expansion?

The Swede
January 22, 2009, 04:32 PM
The first bolt action rifle I had ever bought was a Remington 700 chambered in .308. Left the shop and went right to the range. I proceeded to try and load the magazine by opening the plate on the bottom and pushing the rounds up into the chamber. Needless to say it didn't work too well. A fine gentlemen came by and showed me the correct way to load the magazine.

Treo
January 22, 2009, 04:33 PM
fired off about 10 rounds when it cooked off (barrel heat igniting rounds instead of firing pin) and went full auto for 30 rounds

how would the batfe view such a incident? whould they the scream 'machinegun" and nail you?

I went to Whispering Pines to buy a holster for one of my pistols , I put the case on the counter and told the counter guy that I hadn't cleared the weapon & that I'd let him do that. He looked at me like I was out of my mind, took the gun and got into somekind of horse stance turned his back to me and (I assume) cleared the weapon. while doing so he yelled at the top of his lungs "weapon KA-leer" ( we were the only two people in the store) I will never step foot in that shop again

The Swede
January 22, 2009, 04:36 PM
I went to Whispering Pines to buy a holster for one of my pistols , I put the case on the counter and told the counter guy that I hadn't cleared the weapon & that I'd let him do that. He looked at me like I was out of my mind, took the gun and got into somekind of horse stance turned his back to me and (I assume) cleared the weapon. while doing so he yelled at the top of his lungs "weapon KA-leer" ( we were the only two people in the store) I will never step foot in that shop again

LMAO!! That is too funny-

dobrzemetal
January 22, 2009, 04:37 PM
I almost bought a glock :O

LeonCarr
January 22, 2009, 04:46 PM
damien,

To answer your question, I dunno.

After dumping those two 40 rounders in less than a minute, with the skinny pencil barrels that Mini-14s have, I think it is possible. It is also possible that the brass shavings from the extractor could have entered the firing pin hole and lodged it out.

As far as the ATF is concerned, I think the rifle has to be permanently altered as a machine gun or contain machine gun parts (M16 parts in an AR-15, etc) to be considered a machine gun. I had a firearm malfunction :). I have seen 1911s go full auto in matches, and there were no ATF issues, just really short hammer hooks :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

CoRoMo
January 22, 2009, 05:43 PM
Man, I wish I could think of one, but I can't.
A lot of these are funny, especially...he yelled at the top of his lungs "weapon KA-leer"...

lonesouth
January 22, 2009, 06:06 PM
When I was 16, I went out to my buddy's house, his dad's a class III and he had some cool toys. One of which was a double barrel coach gun with dual triggers and exposed hammers, no recoil pad. Being the smartass kid I was, I somehow mixed up high brass and low brass and proceeded to load up some high brass. I set up and bad boy style pulled both triggers.

Same house, different day. My dad had a bunch of old shells he wanted me to use up. I loaded 7 spare rounds into pop's Ithaca 37 DS 12ga and handed it to my buddy. We were shooting skeet and about the fourth round didn't eject. Finally, after about 10 minutes with a pick, we were able to extract 16ga shell :eek:

Around that same time, I was out with one of my teachers and he shows me a small break barrel rifle with a nice scope. I'd only shot shotguns and 22s till then, and I got a real good look through the scope and pulled the trigger. Nice little trickle of blood, thankfully no scar though. I had to think about it all the way back to the school though :(

brdavis
January 22, 2009, 06:51 PM
Buddy of mine brings in his new "270" and starts to tell me the thing would not hit the side of a barn. We start thinking what could be the problem. Scope, mounts, action, etc. I was going to hand it back to my buddy and just happened to notice it clearly had 30-06 marked on the barrel!!!:what:

scrat
January 22, 2009, 07:13 PM
ok. ya i gotta add to this. i was i think 18 or 19. i bought a scope for my 30-06 because it was the thing to do. went to the range and i really couldnt see to clearly through the scope. after fiddling with it for a good minute i pulled the trigger. to get the biggest black eye ever. I Never really used a scope to much after that. Looking back i must have had my eye about an inch behind the scope.

Duke of Doubt
January 22, 2009, 07:18 PM
Many years ago I bought an Intratec Tec-22 Sporter.

Yes, I was drunk at the time.

It was cute and the neat mechanism intrigued me for some reason. But the sights were ludicrous, the magazines stank, and basically what I had was the world's heaviest and least accurate target pistol. I think I had some delusions of hunting prairie dogs with it or something.

I traded it many years later for a very decent gun, though. It looked so dangerous and tacticool, don't you know.

Rshooter
January 22, 2009, 07:27 PM
I bought a Tarus PT-22. :o

BrandonBowers
January 22, 2009, 07:29 PM
Bought a Hi Point 45 once. Wound up giving it to my brother. He turned it into a paperweight.

CajunBass
January 22, 2009, 08:10 PM
Well, I don't really have an embarrising one so I'll tell one I was kinda proud of.

I had for some stupid reason, volunteered to go along with my youngest son's 5th grade class on a bus trip to Appomattox National Battlefield Park. Along the way, we stopped at Saylers Creek NBP. There we were met by a park "living history" guide in the full uniform of a Union Cavalry Trooper. As he greeted the group he began talking about his uniform and gear. Finally holding up his carbine, he asked "Does anyone know what this is?" As one the entire class, including the teacher, turned to my son and yelled "TELL HIM BARRY!!"

My son who was about 11 at the time, looked at the ground with a red face, and said, "That's a 52 caliber, Sharps, carbine. The guide looked at him like he was from Mars. "That's right. I'm surprised you knew that." His teacher said "Barry is our resident gun expert. We refer all such questions to him."

I have NO idea where he gets it. :D

(That was 14 years or so ago.)

Duke of Doubt
January 22, 2009, 08:40 PM
Cajun, that reminds me of my first tour of Gettysburg so long ago.

The Guide told our group and my family all about the aftermath, and about how so many tens of thousands of dead men, dead horses, wrecked guns, expended munitions and so forth were left behind in this small, bucolic farming town of several thousand souls.

"Bet they talked about it for years," I said.

Bullnettles
January 22, 2009, 08:43 PM
I was out shooting with the lady and had some 38 reload in the model 19. They were lead and I'm not a fan of lead but hey, a bullet is meant to be shot. I pull back the hammer, aim, *click*. I didn't even wait a second and had it out of the gun. Stupid, stupid, stupid... I'm sure there are tons of these but I'm new to the range scene (I'm from the sticks, now living in Houston). This guys is showing his son what not to do during a cease-fire (when the range lets everyone repost their targets, I don't know the correct word) and this guy is waving the gun around with his finger on the trigger, slide forward! I wanted to hit him with a stick and knock some sense into him:D. People like that scare the heck out of me though...

HOME DEPOT GEORGE
January 22, 2009, 08:52 PM
After working so hard cleaning up my act and being sober for years,getting my record expunged, getting my ccw and purchasing many firearms I was denied a purchase in front of a store full of people. Come to find out a restraining order from more than a decade ago from a bad relationship, luckily no kids. Luckily my lawyer said 2500$ and one court appearance in a toilet called Newark NJ:evil: it will go away.

goldie
January 22, 2009, 09:22 PM
when i was 18, i bought a commando arms 45 carbine,its a cheap stamped version of a thompson, & one of the biggest pieces of crap i ever bought.it had such bad feeding problems,it went back twice under warranty,still sucked, & i sold it for 60.00.it was the only embarrasing gun i ever bought.i look back & wondered what i was thinking even looking at that junker...

willmartin
January 22, 2009, 09:48 PM
My first shotgun was a Mossberg 500 .410... for HD. I wanted to get a 20ga but I let the guy talk me into a .410.

There is redemption however. I soon purchased an 870 Express Youth (20 gauge) and have been in love since.

bensdad
January 22, 2009, 10:06 PM
My worst was actually just a couple months ago. I had a big stack of 7.62x39 in my hands. I was by the pistol counter at Cabelas. The top box slid to the side. I compensated... it and several others slid the other way. About four boxes of ammo splashed all over the floor.

The Deer Hunter
January 22, 2009, 11:36 PM
A guy at my club was talking about how the soldiers in Iraq were converting their M-16's from .223 to .308. I almost said something, but I realized that it wouldn't be worth the trouble.

Keep in mind though, he's also the head of the rifle range committee.

Grassman
January 23, 2009, 12:23 AM
I posted a couple months ago in this thread about a Hi-point .380 that I bought for $100...........well I just sold that gun the other day for $100......I have redeemed myself!

scrat
January 23, 2009, 12:42 AM
Cajun ahahahhahahahahaha lol

fantastic story

CoRoMo
January 23, 2009, 04:10 PM
I pronounced Mosin-Nagant incorrectly in front of someone who knew how to pronounce it.:eek:

I said...

Mawzen Naygint :what:

Silly me.:o

shooter454
January 23, 2009, 04:19 PM
I was in college and bored. Took a Ruger Single Six totally apart. Who knew those things had so many parts. Took it to a gunsmith and blamed it on my kid brother.

ChronoCube
January 23, 2009, 04:20 PM
These are embarrassing experiences for other people...

I saw an Ishapore 2A rifle at a gun show and asked the dealer how much it was. He misidentified it as a Lee-Enfield in .303 from World War II. I corrected him by saying that it was the Indian version made during the cold war, chambered for 7.62x51. He still insisted that it was a .303 Enfield until we took it to one of the other dealers who was more knowledgeable. None of us made a big deal over it but as the seller he should have known better!

My friend was in a store looking for a .22 rifle. The dealer pointed him at a tube-loader. He looked at it and couldn't find a detachable magazine and said "I'm not looking for a single-shot rifle." The dealer said "Let me teach you something..." and showed him how to use it.

alaskanativeson
January 24, 2009, 04:35 AM
I bought a - Jennings.

Boba Fett
January 24, 2009, 12:42 PM
I bought a S&W SW990L instead of the Walther version.

But thankfully I managed to redeem myself by selling for about $50 less than I paid for it new and I learned my lesson to always, always do a heck of a lot more research before buying.

MinnMooney
January 24, 2009, 12:49 PM
Can someone please tell me why this is foolish, or stupid to do? I haven't heard of Extreme Shock ammunition.

I see the website is way overblown with Ninja crap but why is buying these personnel protection/anti-terrorist/air freedom projectiles stupid and/or embassassing? Don't they do as advertised?

MinnMooney
January 24, 2009, 12:56 PM
from Home Depot George : Luckily my lawyer said 2500$ and one court appearance in a toilet called Newark NJ it will go away.

That's one very expensive gun purchase, $2500 PLUS the cost of the gun................... but well worth it.

That's not a very nice thing to say about soneone's city.

Myles
January 24, 2009, 01:42 PM
Hmmm.. Most embarrassing. This was 20 or so years ago.

A, uhm, friend of mine had a cut on his right thumb caused by a knife sharpening accident.

Later, that day, he had been cleaning his HD pistol. After a thorough cleaning and reassembly, he reloaded the weapon.

While lowering the hammer on a loaded chamber, the spur hammer slid quickly along the sliced thumb, and -BANG!-

The pistol was pointed in a safe direction - pointed at the floor, albeit through a waterbed! There was a fountain that damned near reached the ceiling! Talki about a mess to clean up - at least, that's what I heard. <cough>

1.S.1.K
January 24, 2009, 11:16 PM
Ok not a gun boo boo but still a good f up on my part. over my buddys farm with some friends camp fire beers and great stories I bring a case of beer that needs a bottle opener no opener. no one has 1 so I go the night stabing the cap with my knife and popin it off not smart after a cupple good pops had my hand in the wrong place at the wrong time and blade sliced through my right pointer finger blood all in my beer best part I still drank it wile my hand was being wraped to go get 9 stiches .
Worst gun
Cobray 410 2 shot pistol have not found one friend that will shoot the lil guy I love it . Just hold on. also fires 44 long colt
Friends dumb day
Bbq he got bord started shooting crows off a power line out back his place with a 10 22 missed the crow hit the wire .outcome no power for around 24 hrs for most of his block , did not mind I had to work and missed that bbq .
Keep the great stories coming

smokemaker
January 25, 2009, 11:24 AM
I bought a sigma... Oh, the shame

1KPerDay
January 25, 2009, 12:47 PM
I arranged to meet a guy last week to check out and buy a Winchester Trapper carbine in .44 magnum. He gave me directions to his office, said to come to suite 200. When I arrived, he happened to be standing outside, and took me to his office. When we got off the elevator and headed for Suite 200, I saw the sign on the door said Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Funny... same thing happened to me when I bought an M1A. Guy took me to the secure parking lot of the FBI building. He was an agent... I was wondering if I was going to make it out of there. I did but he lied to me about the rifle. I fixed it with minimal expense, but he was not an honest dude.

Justin
February 17, 2009, 12:48 PM

I know this is a bit of thread necromancy, but I need to address something. I'm on a first-name basis with the majority of the people who work at Whistling Pines gun club. (There is no "Whispering Pines" shooting range in Colorado Springs.)

Last night, I happened to be there for a local IPSC match, and showed Treo's post to a couple of the employees. They were rather perplexed, at both the behavior Treo describes, as well as the fact that clearing a weapon in such a fashion goes against their policies for customer service as well as clearing a hot weapon.

Their stated policy for clearing any loaded firearm is to place it in a box, walk it out to the firing line, and clear the weapon there. I was told in no uncertain terms that firearms were not ever cleared in the retail area of the facility.

I'm not going to call Treo a liar, however, the people working at Whistling Pines are professionals who know what they're doing, and they said that what Treo described would not happen at their shop.

22-rimfire
February 17, 2009, 02:00 PM
I was at Sportsman Warehouse the other day and picked up a box of 460 S&W. There is a sign saying NOT to open the boxes of ammo. Anyway, I did open a box. Somehow I dropped the one round in my hand and it hits the floor getting the attention of one of the employees. He said, can't you read the signs? I just smiled and so did he. I'm sort of a regular there.

Years ago at a gun show, I purchased a Colt Woodsman that had such a nice bluing job on it. It was cheap. Anyway, I was very proud of myself and took it home. A friend looks at it and says... you know this is a re-blue don't you? I was embarassed as I claimed to be able to spot a re-blue. This one stuck out like a sore thumb as it was not even the regular color of the factory blue. So, I took that little pistol to the next show and promptly sold it. I actually bought it as a collector piece which makes it even more embarassing! Have not made that mistake since... at least that I'm aware of anyway.

effengee
February 18, 2009, 10:50 AM
It was when they first came out and I was hooked by the gimmick of a carbine rifle that could fold in half... It just looked so darn space age that I couldn't help myself... All plastic and matte black... It folded in half and used a Beretta pistol mag... God, it was sweet looking... Then I tried to use it at my backyard shooting range... It was ungainly, odd to get used to, innacurate as all hell, it jammed becuase of the feed lip at the breech, the way it locked closed exposed the breech and the bolt and pretty much the whole guts of the firearm,

and I STILL :cuss: HATE 9mm!!!!

I custom made a foam insert for it in a Samsonite briefcase and with the rifle, two mags and two full boxes (minus 20 or so rounds) of 9mm wadcutters traded it for a Romanian Kalashniclone and have felt better ever since...

I hear that Kel-Tec offers breech covers and differently designed weapons now, but it's still not something I'd want to own again...

The two off-duty cops at the gun shop almost wet their pants when they saw me drop a 9mm assault rifle stuffed in a briefcase onto the counter while saying "Wanna trade for that AK-47?"
We all had a good laugh after I explained that I'm just a paper-punching gun nut and not some crazed assassin... At least, I was laughing...

halfded
February 18, 2009, 11:24 AM
I returned my first autoloader and was quite angry when the bluing started to wear on the sliderails of my new kel-tec (first time buyer). I told the guy I had only shot 100 round through it and the metal was wearing off the slide rail. He tried to explain the truth to me (that any contact point is going to wear the bluing), but I wouldn't have it and made them take it back for a *gag* taurus 111 mil pro. Hopefully this never gets out, it's embarassing enough posting it here.

sturmgewehr667
February 18, 2009, 11:42 AM
The first bolt action rifle I had ever bought was a Remington 700 chambered in .308. Left the shop and went right to the range. I proceeded to try and load the magazine by opening the plate on the bottom and pushing the rounds up into the chamber. Needless to say it didn't work too well. A fine gentlemen came by and showed me the correct way to load the magazine.

you need a PTRS-41

DRZinn
February 18, 2009, 11:50 AM
Paid $700 for a used Colt 1991.

It was a pawn shop in downtown San Diego, it was my first purchase, and it wasn't embarrassing until years later when I learned how much I'd overpaid.

But, it was my first gun, and I still love it. Still my only handgun.

Norinco982lover
February 18, 2009, 01:19 PM
Well I've never bought any firearms that haven't been extremely reliable (we'll see when my hipoint 995 gets here) but on only my second trip to a local gunshop I did manage to freak out one of those employees with my stupidity...

2 of the employees were writing down the serial numbers of some rifles as they unboxed them directly in front of the handgun counter...instead of politely asking them if I could have the price of their XD9SC I began to unintentionally meander around the end of their gun counter to get a better angle on the price tag. One of the employees doing the unboxing apparently thought I was going to slide behind the counter and have a hayday with their firearms because he was not comfortable with me standing at the end of the counter. He yelled "whoa whoa whoa and put his hand on my chest and backed me up about 3 feet." To his credit he did politely ask me "now what did you want to look out?" I think I just scared him:(

MT GUNNY
February 18, 2009, 01:28 PM
When i was just getting into Hunting age. My father and I went to get me a Hunting Rifle. He had a Single shot 410 he brought with him to trade in. During there discussion I said to my dad, "Is that the one with the bent Barrel" At that point I swear I felt my face being slapped Mentally by my dad. the Clerk looked down the Barrel and said yep it shure is! I still did get a rifle for hunting, thanks to my smooth talking Father.

DRZinn
February 18, 2009, 01:37 PM
Embarrassing for your dad, I hope, for trying to scam the store.

CoRoMo
February 18, 2009, 02:19 PM
I bought a Hi-Point C9 for something like $100.

Not embarrassed about it at all, but of all my purchases, this one falls closest to fitting that description. I rather like that little pistol.

lesterg3
February 18, 2009, 04:09 PM
OK, so here's the situation. I am the gun guy of the family, both my side and my son-in-laws side. Life time member NRA, served in combat in Nam, love hunting, love guns, and love shooting targets.

So I take everyone to the range for some lessons before they buy their own handguns to take the CCP class and apply.

OK, so I am being a big shot and decide I want to really impress everyone and load up the 44 Mag Ruger Flat Top. I want everyone to shoot this and am going to show them how to do it correctly. I was really being an ass, because I wanted them to be overwhelmed with the guns recoil.

So I step up to the line and wrap my left hand around the cylinder and fire.

Well, you all know what happened, fortunately I did not scream when the powder tore into my left hand, and thankfully (for my hugh ego) the burning powder cauterized the bleeding tissue so no one saw any blood.

Well, I put that one away, regained sanity and proceeded with the lesson with a throbing left hand, all have subsequently passed and now have their CWP.

bang_bang
February 18, 2009, 04:13 PM
Never had one of these moments until last night.

Polishing and cleaning my Para-0 P10 last night while sitting in my computer chair. Hit the mag release....10 rounds of 45 in a metallic missile go straight to my meat and two veg, the nuts.

:cuss:

iafirebuff
February 18, 2009, 09:17 PM
One time at a gun show, I went to a dealer's table, picked up a semi auto and the magazine fell out and onto the floor. Man did I get chewed out. After that I didnt touch the guns anymore.

Phydeaux642
February 18, 2009, 09:31 PM
It didn't happen to me but I went into my favorite toy store last year and was talking to one of the pushers when I noticed a crack in the glass counter top that had not been there before. I asked him what had happened and he told me that the guy that he had been talking to when I walked up had tried to rack the slide on an auto and it slipped out of his hand and slammed into the glass. He went away very embarrassed.

spyder1911
February 18, 2009, 09:46 PM
When I went to shoot my first round of trap through my remmy 870 and I forgot to take the safety off. I knew as soon as I pulled the trigger...

ThrottleJockey
February 18, 2009, 10:19 PM
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=425415

If you enjoyed reading about "Most embarassing firearm purchase, experience, etc." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!