What would you pay for this Rem 700?

PDA

unlearned69
October 21, 2008, 07:38 PM
I'm looking at an older Remington 700 ADL in 270 at the local fun shop. It is an old one, the safety lever is flat rather than rounded. The barrel is has rust spots and some pitting on the outside. Bore is very shiny and crisp. The action had taken a patina, and is very smooth. It has screws on the side for a peep sight. The stock is walnut, in fair condition, and has a good recoil pad on it.

My reasoning for thinking about it is that I would like to get a beater in 270, cut the barrel back and put a small scope on it for stalking around. I've got a nice custom-built mauser, but it's got a bull barrel. No fun to drag around.

What would you pay for the rifle? I'm not going to say the price, to get unbiased opinions. I can't tell if it's worth it or not, and am probably not thinking very straight about the purchase. So here I am. I've tried to bargain with the shop, and they are set on the price.

If you enjoyed reading about "What would you pay for this Rem 700?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dakotasin
October 21, 2008, 09:30 PM
i'd go $250 - 350 depending on specifics, and would call $275 - 300 a good deal for both sides.

i wouldn't cut down a long action gun barrel much - long actions with short barrels look funny.

good luck!

unlearned69
October 21, 2008, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the advice. The rifle would be at the lower end of that range. I was thinking 20 inches, but I've had some people on other forums say not to go under 22 due to particulars of the .270

Bartkowski
October 21, 2008, 10:11 PM
I have a .30-06 that came from remington with a 20". Looks fine, and shoots great.

For the gun you are looking to buy, offer $250 and see what happens. I might even offer less depending on condition, $220 maybe.

rangerruck
October 21, 2008, 10:46 PM
I would max it out at 300, and for the 270, I wouldn't go under 22 inches either; losing too much of what makes the 270 unique; downrange qualities...

unlearned69
October 22, 2008, 05:13 PM
How about this? I opened my safe to see if there is room, and I saw my sporterized 1903 that I've never fired that needs to be refinished (and shot). Now I'm thinking I could cut the barrel back on that and duracoat. Its already got scope mounts and rings. The stock is in pretty good shape, but the original 4-line barrel has no finish and the receiver has a peeling enamel coating on it.

Im assuming 30-06 would fare better with a shorter barrel than .270, since Remington and maybe other manufacturers sell 18.5" 30-06's?

Ratshooter
October 23, 2008, 12:14 AM
Hello Unlearned. Its been my experience that if the brush is so thick and wooly that you can't move about with a 22-24" barrel you are never going to sneak up on a deer no matter what the barrel length is. I've spooked a lot of deer ahead of me that I never saw by working my way through thick brush. All I found were very fresh tracks running away.

It sounds like you are looking for something short, light and handy to tote around. I might suggest a plain old 30-30 or 35 Remington lever action. Also take a look at Remington model 7s or the Howa Homeland Security rifles. Or maybe a Ruger compact. Those are all light and short and ready to go right out of the box. You will have to add a scope to a couple of them but Marlins can be taken out of the box and hunted with after a quick sight check.

Ratshooter
October 23, 2008, 03:37 PM
This might fill the bill for what you are wanting. I'm tempted myself except I just bought a Ruger 77/22 today. And a Super Blackhawk last week.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=113957879

I would for sure get it if it was chambered for a .308 round.

unlearned69
October 23, 2008, 08:00 PM
That's about what I was thinking of doing.

Ratshooter
October 23, 2008, 08:54 PM
That 30-06 with the 16" barrel looks sharp. I bet its an ear bustin' S.O.B. when you fire it though. Thats one of the drawbacks to shortning a barrel too much.

My friend had a Remington special field 12 guage with a 20" barrel. After the forth or fifth dove flew over your ears were begging for mercy. It made me appreciate my 28" barreled shotgun.

Thats why i mentioned the 30-30 and 35 remington. With 20" barrels and the lower intensity of these rounds firing one or two rounds in the field isn't too bad.

If you enjoyed reading about "What would you pay for this Rem 700?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!