Irony

PDA

kentucky_smith
October 21, 2008, 09:51 PM
This haz it. :rolleyes:

http://www.thehighroad.org/announcement.php?f=18

If you enjoyed reading about "Irony" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BullfrogKen
October 21, 2008, 10:34 PM
I must be dense because I don't get it. Could you explain the irony?

massnee
October 21, 2008, 11:05 PM
i see it

qwert65
October 21, 2008, 11:19 PM
me too

JImbothefiveth
October 21, 2008, 11:20 PM
The majority of the current Staff of THR.org were not consulted on Oleg's formation of the thehighroad.us site and those that were consulted counseled against it as risking dividing the community
Yet it has the site mentioned right there.

Is that what you were reffering to?

ArfinGreebly
October 21, 2008, 11:35 PM
Only if you imagine that the purpose of that notice is to prevent people from visiting there.

There is no such intent.

The original forum abides.

The new instance of THR exists as a fact.

Another new forum, WeTheArmed.com (http://www.WeTheArmed.com) was also recently created and mentioned here.

TheFiringLine.com (http://www.TheFiringLine.com) has existed for longer than any of these.

All of these sites support RKBA.

We're not here to prove that we, alone, are privy to some "received wisdom" on the subject. We are here to support the RKBA mission and the forum membership.

There's nothing ironic about that.

The referenced notice provides some clarification and tells the reader that we encourage participation in RKBA activities.

It doesn't mean something other than what it says.

hso
October 22, 2008, 10:35 AM
k_s,

Thanks for pointing that out. We appreciate the review and comment. The announcement has been changed.

kentucky_smith
October 22, 2008, 01:06 PM
Much better, thanks.

Seems kind of silly to castigate the man who created THR for creating THR. :D

Beren
October 22, 2008, 03:16 PM
There was more than just one person involved in creating THR, for what it's worth.

hso
October 22, 2008, 03:29 PM
k_s,

The intent wasn't to castigate Oleg. We were trying to get the message across that it actually was a different site and it was legit because Oleg sent the message out, but the folks here weren't involved with setting it up and were keeping the lights on here regardless.

When looked at from a different perspective it was recognized that it could be read as being critical so it was changed to be clearer.

We wouldn't have noticed probably (don't read too much over and over after having read it over and over already) if it wasn't pointed out.

So, thanks again.

Byron Quick
October 22, 2008, 06:12 PM
Seems kind of silly to castigate the man who created THR for creating THR.

There was a group of staff members at TFL who got together just prior to TFL shutting down. That group made the decision to start another site to fill in the gap left in the online firearms community by the closure of TFL.

As Art Eatman put it so pithily, there was a contest to see who was NOT going to be the boss. Oleg was pressured into volunteering. There was no talk of ownership, no discussion of ownership, and no claim of ownership by anyone, including Oleg.

THR has been a group effort from the first minute of its existence and has been governed by consensus among the staff since that first minute. Right up until the moment that Oleg suddenly made a unilateral decision. After almost six years.

meef
October 23, 2008, 01:04 AM
THR has been a group effort from the first minute of its existence and has been governed by consensus among the staff since that first minute. Right up until the moment that Oleg suddenly made a unilateral decision. After almost six years.:scrutiny:

Whoa.

Now that right there puts a whole different spin on the party line I've been seeing repeated over and over.

Interesting.

:scrutiny:

Jeff White
October 23, 2008, 01:42 AM
Now that right there puts a whole different spin on the party line I've been seeing repeated over and over.

There are two sides to every story and things aren't often what they appear to be at first glance. The disagreement is in the hands of the court now and it isn't going to help the community to take sides.

Jeff

Art Eatman
October 23, 2008, 05:49 PM
I did some fact-checking in the Staph forum of TFL:

Nine of the moderators joined TFL in October of 1998, including Rich Lucibella.

Dennis Bateman, Byron Quick and I joined in November, with Byron and me signing up on the 13th.

Oleg came along in December of 1999, Derek at the end of March, 2000.

There was discussion among the staph, after Rich's mid-December, 2002, announcement of the shutdown, about an interim Boss; an "iCEO". I was the near-unanimous choice. (Just as well that we didn't go that route; I was dealing with my father's estate and mid-year I diagnosed my cancer.)

At some point (Page 3 of the announcement thread, IIRC) I suggested an entirely new website.

Oleg volunteered that he had the time and inclination to set up a website.

In the discussion for a name for this new site, Matt Guest suggested "The High Road".

If you enjoyed reading about "Irony" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!