CCW in Arkansas.

PDA

harmonic
October 22, 2008, 01:32 AM
If I'm carrying in Arkansas with a license from a reciprocal state, I can't carry in a church, a bank, or anyplace where children are present, like a day care.

Also, if a business like Walmart has a sign posted, does that make it a violation of AR law to carry concealed in the store, or just a violation of Walmart policy?

And, if it's a violation of AR law to carry in a store that's posted, is their parking lot an extension of the store, or can I leave the weapon in my car?

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW in Arkansas." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mr Crowley
October 22, 2008, 01:58 AM
from Arkansas law

l) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any
person to carry a concealed handgun into any police, sheriff or Arkansas State
Police station; any Arkansas Highway Police facility; any buildings of the
Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department, or onto any parking lots
or grounds adjacent to such buildings; any detention facility, prison or jail;
any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section shall
preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will
carry a concealed weapon in his courtroom; any polling place; any meeting

place of the governing body of any governmental entity; any meeting of the
legislature or a committee thereof; any building wherein a state office is
located; any public park unless for the purpose of participating in any
authorized firearms-related activity; any athletic event not related to
firearms; any portion of an establishment, licensed to dispense alcoholic
beverages for consumption on the premises; any portion of an establishment in
which beer or light wine is consumed on the premises; any school, college,
community college, or university campus or event unless for the purpose of
participating in an authorized firearms-related activity; inside the passenger
terminal of any airport, except that no person shall be prohibited from
carrying any legal firearm into the terminal if the firearm is encased for
shipment, for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully
transported on any aircraft; any church or other place of worship; or any
place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. In
addition to the places enumerated in this section, the carrying of a concealed
handgun may be disallowed in any place in the discretion of the person or
entity exercising control over the physical location of such place by the
placing of a written notice clearly readable at a distance of not less than
ten (10) feet that the @carrying of a handgun is prohibited.@ Provided no sign
shall be required for private homes and any licensee entering a private home
shall notify the occupants that he is carrying a concealed handgun. No license
issued pursuant to this section shall authorize the participants in a parade
or demonstration for which a permit is required to carry a concealed handgun.

(A) Any place at the discretion of the person or entity exercising control over the physical location of the place by placing at each entrance to the place a written notice clearly readable at a distance of not less than ten feet (10") that “carrying a handgun is prohibited”.

Leanwolf
October 22, 2008, 03:01 PM
With all those restrictions, looks to me as if a person who lives in Arkansas is just about as well off not to bother getting a CCW. Just a waste of money and time.

L.W.

SaxonPig
October 22, 2008, 05:45 PM
There are a lot of prohibited areas in AR but it's still better than any "may issue" state and places with no legal CC at all.

I think the statute printed above is an outdated version. A couple years ago the law was amended to OK public parks for CC unless local government posts them as off limits. There was a row when a local city banned carry in the park but rescinded the ban after public outcry. Also, you can carry in an establishment that serves alcohol as long as a majority of its business is food and not beverages. A bar would be prohibited, but a restaurant that served drinks would be OK as long as you don't drink. AR has a zero tolerance on drinking and CC.

I have only seen one "no concealed carry" sign and it was removed after I wrote the business a letter pointing out that criminals will simply ignore the sign.

csmkersh
October 22, 2008, 07:36 PM
There are a lot of prohibited areas in AR but it's still better than any "may issue" state...

Cross the Red River and enjoy the freedoms of Texas. No, we're not perfect, but to were we can carry, much better than Arkansas.

ColinthePilot
October 22, 2008, 07:52 PM
woops. I hope the park part has been changed, because the park near my apartment has a really nice running trail, but I wouldn't use it without a gun. too many secluded areas for BGs to hide.

Mr Crowley
October 22, 2008, 07:57 PM
The only "No Firearms" signs I have seen around here are at places you were not permitted to carry in anyway like schools, post offices, courthouses and such.

I remember hearing something on the news a while back where wal-mart managers who were anti-gun put up signs at their stores, but after complaints the corporate offices made them take the signs down.

What was that about "gun free safe zones"? Something about criminals knowing that no one would be shooting back at them...

tawcat
October 22, 2008, 08:05 PM
Mr Crowley has it correct. When the CCW law first came out a lot of businesses had signs in their windows. The majority of those signs have disappeared. I carry 100% of the time. If the building I'm going into has a restriction, I leave it in the car.

Funny, but I've never been asked or searched. Its concealed, how are they going to know! In my little town, as in most, its illegal to discharge a firearms within city limits. My neighbor recently was attacked by a pit bull while out walking. I told her, I'd be paying a fine and there'd be a dead pit bull for someone to cleanup.

Duke Junior
October 22, 2008, 08:08 PM
Yes ,the public park prohibition is truly senseless.
We've got several senseless rules in NC.
Paid admission areas,banks, State Parks,notify LEO,the insanity particularly in southern states, is endless and maddening.:fire:

Mr Crowley
October 22, 2008, 08:20 PM
"illegal to discharge a firearm within city limits"

I would imagine those city ordinances have some set of defense clauses.

razorback2003
October 22, 2008, 08:45 PM
You can carry inside a bank in Arkansas with a concealed handgun license. It is also legal to carry in parks and restaurants that serve alcohol. The state claims 'zero tolerance' for alcohol and handguns, but there is no law that prohibits carrying and drinking. There is a law that if you are CONVICTED of an alcohol violation while carrying, THEN you lose your CHL, such as public intox, drinking on the public road, or DWI. AR has a rediculous amount of off limits places though, it is crazy for what you pay and the hoops you go through to get it and keep up a license. I am glad i am in TN where there aren't so many off limits places.

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW in Arkansas." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!