It does a heart good to have a US gun made somewhere OTHER THAN....

PDA

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
October 22, 2008, 04:26 PM
New York, Massachusetts, or Connecticut - the traditional big 3 states where the firearm industry did once flourish (and still does to a large extent), but which are, ironically, now anti-civilian-gun-ownership-friendly states for the most part.

So many guns over the years have been stamped "Made in [one of these three]" that I get an extra little smile on my face when I see the "Windham, Maine" (Bushy) and "Salt Lake City, Utah" (Robinson).

New pics of the XCR to follow within the hour (which is the main reason for this thread). :p :)

If you enjoyed reading about "It does a heart good to have a US gun made somewhere OTHER THAN...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rondog
October 22, 2008, 05:13 PM
I think Hi-Points are made in Ohio, aren't they?

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
October 22, 2008, 05:20 PM
Here's the XCR with a few small mods/accessories

-Sightron S2, 1.5-6x42mm, in Warne Maxima QDs
-Blackhawk single point sling
-ERGO brand grip
-3x plastic rail covers (green)

Pictured with Black Bear Flashlight's "Borealis" and one pound dog named Crosby, who is incidentally (and sadly enough), my best friend. :)

As you can see, the folding stock folds at a slight angle, to give just enough clearance of the ejection port to allow firing in the folded position.

Related thread, for those that are interested:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=400528

Hk91-762mm
October 22, 2008, 06:15 PM
Springfield armory is in Illanoied -What a place to set up shop!!
Kimber is in NYC of all places..

Larry E
October 22, 2008, 06:19 PM
Some Ruger's are made in AZ, but I can't understand why a gun manufacturer would set up shop in a state like NY, IL, MA, CA, and any others that don't think that civilians should have any guns or any other than single shot shotguns - maybe.

ColinthePilot
October 22, 2008, 06:20 PM
Sig is based in New Hampshire. Of course, mine is stamped "Made in W. Germany."

briansmech
October 22, 2008, 06:37 PM
STI, texas....

retgarr
October 22, 2008, 06:42 PM
That makes me want to make my own ak and fold the receiver so I could stamp "Made in my garage" on the side

cavman
October 22, 2008, 07:36 PM
My S&W Model 41 is stamped "Made in Houlton, ME"

ants
October 22, 2008, 07:42 PM
Some are now out of business, but sunny Southern California had a whole bunch of high quality manufacturers of premium guns like Bryco, Raven Arms, Jennings, Davis Industries, Phoenix Arms, Sundance Industries, and Lorcin Engineering Co.

NeoSpud
October 22, 2008, 07:47 PM
Yep, it sure is a good feeling! I can take pride that my XD was made in... Croatia? :uhoh:

benEzra
October 22, 2008, 08:55 PM
DSA and Rock River Arms are both in Illinois, I believe.

EricTheBarbarian
October 22, 2008, 09:01 PM
Hi Points I believe are made in Dayton, Ohio. The idea for their cast parts has something to do with a brake parts plant there if I remember right.

My remington 710 was made in the good ol USA in Kentucky, so that means everyone on here thinks it is good right:D

distra
October 22, 2008, 09:17 PM
New York, Massachusetts, or Connecticut - the traditional big 3 states where the firearm industry did once flourish (and still does to a large extent), but which are, ironically, now anti-civilian-gun-ownership-friendly states for the most part.

Sauce, let me say that NY and MA are way different from CT. CT has carry permits, issues out of state carry permits, allows peaceable journey (unlike NY and MA) and has very few carry restrictions. Actually, some of the so called "gun friendly" states, TX for instance, have much more restrictions on where a permit holder can carry. The AWB is bogus, but only applies to specific named firearms and does not limit mag capacity in any way. Gun ownership in CT is by far easier than both MA and NY. I agree that it is quite ironic that many firearms manufactures are in less gun friendly states. Not sure why they do that other than economics.

Marcus84
October 22, 2008, 10:28 PM
Les Baer moved from Il to Iowa. Where is the Ruger P95 made?

Hardtarget
October 22, 2008, 10:54 PM
Isn't the BARRET .50 made in Tennessee?Doesn't matter. I can't afford one...or the ammo!

Mark.

taliv
October 22, 2008, 11:03 PM
"patron state of shooting stuff" wins on quality :)

Barrett in Murfreesboro
Accuracy International in Oak Ridge

VingThorr
October 22, 2008, 11:08 PM
i believe the P95's are from Prescott, AZ

Dope
October 22, 2008, 11:15 PM
Sauce, let me say that NY and MA are way different from CT. CT has carry permits, issues out of state carry permits, allows peaceable journey (unlike NY and MA) and has very few carry restrictions. Actually, some of the so called "gun friendly" states, TX for instance, have much more restrictions on where a permit holder can carry. The AWB is bogus, but only applies to specific named firearms and does not limit mag capacity in any way. Gun ownership in CT is by far easier than both MA and NY. I agree that it is quite ironic that many firearms manufactures are in less gun friendly states. Not sure why they do that other than economics.

Hmph, interesting perspective. MA has all of the things you mentioned, and I would personally consider them pretty much the same. I don't know of any benefits either state has over the other.

In fact, the Brady's rate the 2 states at a tie, only NJ and CA are worse. Then MD, NY, RI...

Dope

Logan5
October 22, 2008, 11:31 PM
I'm not trying to rub salt in the wounds, but you've got that mag ban and we do not. We are currently enjoying our new PS 90's down here.

MikeKeyW
October 22, 2008, 11:39 PM
Kel Tec in sunny Florida, not a gun maker but Jonathon Arther Ceiner, who makes Pistol, AR & Mini 14 22 kits along with NFA "Cans" (silencers) is here. EAA and Taurus are here too. Garcia's Intertek (KG-9), another Floridian.

blkbrd666
October 22, 2008, 11:42 PM
I have a pile of guns made in Michigan.

Speedo66
October 22, 2008, 11:50 PM
"Kimber is made in NYC of all places."

Close, but not quite. They're made in Yonkers, NY, just north of the Bronx (NYC) border.

Gun manufacturing was just another product of the industrial revolution, which began in the US in the NE. Thank Eli Whitney for parts standardization which was a huge break through. Lots of hydro power (and capital) in the NE didn't hurt.

Texshooter
October 23, 2008, 12:59 AM
Tis strange.

I want so badly to buy "Made in USA", but when I buy from companies located in anti 2nd states, part of my money is going into govt treasuries that want to deny me the right to own.

Sad.

Stover954rr
October 23, 2008, 08:45 AM
Personally I am just thankful that we can still buy guns that were made in the US. One of the few industries that the east & asia haven't taken over.

Like many other things.... as long as they are made in one of the great 50, I will keep buying them.

And if its a product that isn't manufactured in the US anymore, I look for a made in Canada, or Germany, and then Japan sticker... other signs of quality

daorhgih
October 23, 2008, 09:44 AM
Has no-one heard of the DETONICS story?? Now back in business, and in Illinois, I think. Excellent piece in various configurations, and both a very shootable gun and collectible gun. Once was made in .451 Magnum in a "pocket carry" size. Still can find them for sale here and there. "Combat" "Officer" sized usually. Extensive factory variations. EARLIER MODELS ARE GAINING IN VALUE AS THE NEWER PIECES ARE BEING TURNED OUT. And, even though it began in Austria, does Glock count as a USA gun now??

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
October 23, 2008, 09:46 AM
Oh yes, forgot about Illinois - I have a Springfield pistol, so add them to NY, MA, & CT as the big 4 that confuse the brain.

Now New Hamphire is another refreshing one, on Sigs, even though it's in New England! Kel Tec in Florida is another refreshing one, except that when I had a Kel Tec, I don't remember them being stamped "Made in Florida", are they??

Les Baer moved from Il to Iowa.

That is also good news, as is the Texas STI. I don't know where Barretts are made - but if Tenn, then that's awesome "patron state of shootin stuff" - love that line from "Shooter" - is that line also in the book?

Some are now out of business, but sunny Southern California had a whole bunch of high quality manufacturers of premium guns like Bryco, Raven Arms, Jennings, Davis Industries, Phoenix Arms, Sundance Industries, and Lorcin Engineering Co.

Now see, that just makes perfect sense to me that yahoos from Calif would foist such junk on the unsuspecting public of gun owners - nothing good can come of those. :barf:

Seenterman
October 23, 2008, 09:57 AM
Small correction Hk91
Just like HK NYC Hates you and Thinks you Suck.
Kimber is not in NYC but in Yonkers, NY about 10 - 15 minutes away from the city. Very close though. But 100% different laws in regards to firearms, thank god.

yeti
October 23, 2008, 10:59 AM
I prefer to buy guns manufactured in Mass. and CT. and even NY.:eek:
It makes me feel like I am liberating them from occupied territory!:D

MAKster
October 23, 2008, 11:09 AM
Henry rifles are made in Brooklyn, New York. I think its good that firearms are made in anti-states. It reminds the politicians that firearms are important to their state's citizens and economy.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
October 23, 2008, 11:59 AM
It reminds the politicians that firearms are important to their state's citizens and economy.

I understand that that's the theory, but it sure doesn't seem to be working in practice... so they're getting the benefit of that in their economy while their politicians screw their constituents. They should move out to a free-er state to make the economies there take a hit and pay a price.

If you enjoyed reading about "It does a heart good to have a US gun made somewhere OTHER THAN...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!