Garand safety question

PDA

Avenger
October 23, 2008, 09:17 PM
Is the hole in the Garand safety lever there for a reason? My friend was looking my latest CMP purchase over, and said something like, "Oh, they have a hole for a trigger lock built right in!" This does make sense, but somehow it doesn't seem.....I dunno, 'elegant' is the word that springs to mind.

But the only other reason for the hole that I can think of is simply so that you can feel that your fingertip is on the safety, and not part of the trigger guard or the trigger itself.

If you enjoyed reading about "Garand safety question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ron James
October 23, 2008, 09:34 PM
As far asI know , the hole is there simply to save a gram of weight and for no other reason. Just a design feature.

longdayjake
October 23, 2008, 09:38 PM
Maybe to save on weight and on metal. I can't see there being that big of a difference, but out of the millions of Garands that were made those pieces of metal could have been melted down and used for thousands of other parts. Also, I have personally found out (from falling down) that the hole makes it easy to clean mud out of the safety mechanism. Maybe used to keep it from binding up in battle? I could see how it would make it harder to work if there was no hole and you got mud stuck in the safety channel. Less surface area for the mud to stick on to. None of these answers are historical or educational, but if I were in charge I would make up something like that just so that I sounded like I knew what I was doing.

If you enjoyed reading about "Garand safety question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!