Which material for grips?

PDA

ArchAngelCD
October 24, 2008, 02:24 AM
Which material is a better choice to mimic Ivory for grips? Which will mimic the look and feel better? BTW, these are going on a Ruger Bisley Vaquero... :)

Thanks...

If you enjoyed reading about "Which material for grips?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nicholst55
October 24, 2008, 07:38 AM
Tru-Ivory; available to mimic new, slightly aged, or very aged ivory - but only for selected guns.

rcmodel
October 24, 2008, 01:43 PM
+1

Tru-Ivory is as close as you can get to the real thing.

http://www.truivory.com/truivorygrips.htm

Years ago, White paper base Micarta was available, and would age to look almost exactly like old ivory.
Sadly, it is no longer made.

Todays white micarta will always stay white, forever!

Corian is just, well, Corian!

rcmodel

theotherwaldo
October 24, 2008, 02:15 PM
I like to use ivory for ivory! Mammoth ivory, of course. Suitable tip chunks run about $100.00, while a set of rough scales for auto grips run about $20.00.

BTW, I don't like ivory for SA revolvers. Ivory grabs moist skin, which negates the inherent recoil-absorbing characteristics of plow-handled pistols. The pistol is supposed to slide a bit during recoil!

PRM
October 24, 2008, 04:21 PM
Over the years I have had ivory polymer and even a set of Tru-Ivory that I wound up selling on Ebay. I started a few years back tricking out my Single Action Colts with real pre-ban elephant ivory. There are several grip makers out there who specialize in them. Once you have the real thing, the other don't even come close. I had to save for them, a little each week - to me, it was well worth the wait. $10 a week and you can easily do a set in about 10 months or less depending on the gun and size grip.

Pictured are three Second Generation Colt Cap and Ball Revolvers: 1851 Navy, 1862 Pocket Navy, 1862 Pocket Police.

The Colt Bisley is a custom built gun and the Cimarron Lightening has been customized.

The grips are by Jerry Meacham, (704) 485-3374 or cell (704) 578-3585

ArchAngelCD
October 25, 2008, 01:19 AM
Wow, now I'm even more confused!! LOL But, that is usually what happens when you ask an open ended question, isn't it?

I like the looks of white grips on a deep blue revolver and black grips on a highly polished Stainless or Nickel revolver. I'm leaning on the side of Micarta because it can provide both and at a fairly reasonable price too. The Vaquero I mentioned above is blue and color case hardened and I'm about to buy one in Stainless. I would like to get a set of white and black matching grips for the two revolvers but I can't spend a lot of money doing so. As we all know money is tight and getting worse every week.

PRM,
Those are all beautiful grips on your revolvers and the revolvers are outstanding too. I especially like the Bisley but the Bird's Head isn't far behind.

A little OT, how do you like the feel of the Bird's Head grip frame when shooting when compared to the Bisley or standard grip frame?

Cocked & Locked
October 25, 2008, 07:05 AM
If they make them to fit your gun, Tru-Ivory is passable. Here are some 1911 style Tru-Ivory i ordered thru Brownells. They were a little too thick for my liking, so I sold them.

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2169/3082611/9381895/219223803.jpg

PRM
October 25, 2008, 08:28 AM
ArchAngelCD

This is all personal preference - asking what I personally like.

I still like my 3rd Generation Colt SAA best. (I have small to average size hands)

The Bisley shoots and handles great - it is a longer grip and someone with larger hands would probably really like it over the standard SAA.

The Cimarron Lightning in 38 Special is a gun Colt "should have made." They did make a double action version that this one is copied after in size and grip shape. The Lightning is a 20% smaller copy of the SAA. You can get two variations of the gun from Cimarron. The Model P Jr has the same style grip as the SAA and the Lightning has the birds head style. The size makes it a great carry gun. It is about the same size as a k frame S&W with a 3 inch barrel (its barrel length is 3.5). Shoots and handles great. This is a "must have gun," if you are into the single actions. Got mine in 2002 and have never regretted the purchase.

You might want to check out this site - more grip options

http://www.collinscraftgrips.com/

ArchAngelCD
October 28, 2008, 02:12 AM
PRM,
You're right about that site, they have some really nice grips there. I have looked at a handful of sites, all of which have nice products.

Thanks for all the opinions so far. It looks like Tru-Ivory might be the better choice so far.

BlkHawk73
October 28, 2008, 06:34 PM
I gotta have wood on my guns and the American Holly wood stuff is very nice and ivory-like in color and grain.

bannockburn
October 28, 2008, 08:29 PM
I'm with BlkHawk73; American Holly is my first choice for a natural organic material which resembles ivory quite nicely.

PRM
October 28, 2008, 08:38 PM
bannockburn - I heard about that wood for some time, you got any pictures you can post. I would like to see a finished set.

abuelo
October 28, 2008, 08:44 PM
I have a set of Bisley Vaqueros like yours with color case frame and blued barrel. I also liked the look of ivory grips with the dark frame and barrel. I currently have Ajax simulated ivory grips on them. They are ok for now, but would like to upgrade when money is available. They are sensitive to gun cleaner if not wiped off immediatly.

ArchAngelCD
October 30, 2008, 03:00 AM
I've heard American Holly looks very much like Ivory. I forgot all about it, any links to sites with American Holly grips?

If you enjoyed reading about "Which material for grips?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!