Ammo prices 75% off soon

PDA

cornman
October 24, 2008, 01:03 PM
Copper and lead prices are collapsing daily! Look for prices to drop huge soon. We can no longer afford Iraq so they will be coming home soon, which will also bring prices way down. You might want to sell your stock now and buy back later.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo prices 75% off soon" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rossshady120
October 24, 2008, 01:05 PM
wal-mart ammo prices have bin the same since like the day they opened up lol. rolledback since 94

Water-Man
October 24, 2008, 01:06 PM
If you haven't sold it yet you're much too late.

tmajors
October 24, 2008, 01:19 PM
As much as I would like to see 20 rnds of 7.62X39 back down to $1.50 I'll believe it when I see it.

RockyMtnTactical
October 24, 2008, 01:47 PM
Don't expect prices to come down much if at all...

ridata
October 24, 2008, 02:03 PM
As much as I would like to see 20 rnds of 7.62X39 back down to $1.50 I'll believe it when I see it.
No, no.. then reloaders wouldn't feel as good at how much they're saving!

Aran
October 24, 2008, 02:11 PM
wal-mart ammo prices have bin the same since like the day they opened up lol. rolledback since 94

There have been at least 3-4 price jumps in the last six months at WalMart on ammo.

O C
October 24, 2008, 02:17 PM
Ammo isn't such a big seller that there is enough competition to warrent a "price war". Maybe Midway, Natchez and some of the other outlets will lower prices some, but I don't see a dramitic downturn, but I always hope.

shdwfx
October 24, 2008, 03:29 PM
There's probably enough folks stocking up for fear of the Obamination to keep prices inflated, regardless of the plummeting materials costs. If I'm in the ammo business, no need to lower my prices until sales slow down.

MAKster
October 24, 2008, 03:32 PM
Dicks is now selling Remington 9mm for $7.98 a box. That is down $2 from the price in the summer.

mljdeckard
October 24, 2008, 03:33 PM
Sure. Just like gas will go down 75% if the price of the raw supply drops 75%.

ArmedBear
October 24, 2008, 03:37 PM
It costs money to make ammo, box ammo, ship ammo, pay taxes, etc.

Even if the raw materials were free, ammo wouldn't be free.

Therefore, while a huge drop in raw materials prices is a great thing, one wouldn't expect to see the retail price of the finished product drop as much as the cost of the raw materials.

K3
October 24, 2008, 03:39 PM
No, no.. then reloaders wouldn't feel as good at how much they're saving!

For some reloaders, the savings is irrelevant. For most, since we end up shooting more, loading more, and buying more crap we think we need (read want), we're not saving a dime.

I feel really good about the quality and accuracy of my ammo though. I don't care if .300WM drops to $15 a box for good hunting ammo. I'll still roll my own.

moooose102
October 24, 2008, 03:48 PM
For some reloaders, the savings is irrelevant. For most, since we end up shooting more, loading more, and buying more crap we think we need (read want), we're not saving a dime.

+1 ! I Loader up 100 rounds of 380 this afternoon. but all the junk that i "had to have" that i really didnt "need" certainly ate up most of the savings. i have enough stuff to do the job, and more to make it conveinient. but, if it is a royal pita, who would do it? it would be really nice if ammo prices come down, along with a lot of other prices. it would really be nice to have some extra play money at the end of the month.

raz-0
October 24, 2008, 03:55 PM
Keep in mind that most makers of ammo and componants buy their metals from a distributor. They are not likely to see major cheap inventory unless the metals market remains depressed fro more than 90 days.

Even then, don't expect much price drop until their production facilities fall below full capacity. They are currently full tilt, and don't really want to make changes that will increase demand that they can't supply.

Once they start having inventory pile up and metal prices are down, prices will fall.

As far as reloading, componants prices fluctuate just like ammo prices.

When I started reloading .45 in 2001, the price difference between my loads and retail was about 50% (i.e. mine cost 50% of retail). Now it is about 48%. The big difference is back then, amortizing the cost of the reloading equipment took about 10,000 rounds. Now it would take about 3-4k.

CWL
October 24, 2008, 03:57 PM
Until there is a build-up in inventory, prices won't be dropping soon.

In recessions, neither manufacturers nor retailers accumulate inventory because of cost fears and inability to sell. Retailers will be afraid to order too much, nor will they discount their on-hand supplies.

Doubt your scenario will happen unless we completely skedaddle from Iraq & Afghanistan. Then you will see Mil-spec ammo slowly unloaded as surplus. Good for people who buy by the case (me), but it won't be re-packaged as commercial retail ammo.

rcmodel
October 24, 2008, 03:58 PM
I have a bridge for sale I'd like to talk to you about.

Oh! And there really is an Easter Bunny, and Santa Claus is real too!

I have been involved in shooting for about 58 of my 65 years.

Never have I ever seen ammo prices come down!

rcmodel

Chucklej1
October 24, 2008, 04:06 PM
I hope that it does come down. I just don't see it happening. Dick's had a killer sale last week though(Buy one get one half off). Also, the Remington coupon helps to save a bit.

mbt2001
October 24, 2008, 04:07 PM
Never have I ever seen ammo prices come down!

By the time the production stocks come in to warrant a price drop, massive inflation is going to hit the American Economy as round 2 of the "economic crisis" sets in, so the prices will not be coming down.

Do not sell what you have. Package it for storage (in ammo boxes) and buy more... Buy more food and clothing.

Vern Humphrey
October 24, 2008, 04:09 PM
We can no longer afford Iraq so they will be coming home soon,
Then we better have a lot of ammo stocked up, because something very nasty will follow them home.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
October 24, 2008, 04:09 PM
Interesting. Gasoline is $2.04 today. It was $2.08 yesterday, $2.19 last weekend, and $3.09 about 1.5 months ago.

Hopefully the ammo price fall will be just as precipitous.

Tacbandit
October 24, 2008, 04:12 PM
Quote by shdwfx:
"There's probably enough folks stocking up for fear of the Obamination to keep prices inflated, regardless of the plummeting materials costs. If I'm in the ammo business, no need to lower my prices until sales slow down."

+1, shdwfx...I'm one those people stocking up...

I wouldn't go trying to dump everything you've got stockpiled
just yet. It's too unstable to assume anything right now...:)

Cornman, you could be right..however, the political situation being was it is(or isn't), I wouldn't move too far in either direction just yet.. :uhoh:

trbon8r
October 24, 2008, 04:21 PM
Prices will come down significantly, but not 75%. Don't kid yourself, ammo isn't immune from the same market forces that are driving down gas prices, such as reduction in raw materials costs, and decreasing demand.

Over the last couple years ammo prices have spiked, and most shooters I know are using less ammo and shooting more rimfire to stretch their dollars out. With raw materials and transportation prices falling, ammo prices will follow, but it will take some time. Remember that ammo manufacturers buy their raw materials on contract, and the ammo you will see on the shelf in the near future was produced at a price point based on the old contract. It will take a little bit of time for the price drops to filter down.

When you factor in the overall crappiness of the economy and people watching their 401ks and IRAs vaporize, I'd guarantee demand is down as well. Once the fat government contracts dry up for the ammunition manufacturers now that Iraq is getting quieter, you will really see prices drop as manufacturers try to keep excess plant capacity busy.

Oh yeah, and if people would stop ooohing and ahhing over a $350 case of 5.56, that would help prices come down as well. I refuse to pay that much for 5.56. Until prices come down, I'll make do with reloading cast bullets for my .45 ACP handguns, and shooting rimfire.

RP88
October 24, 2008, 04:30 PM
I wouldnt sell anything. Just keep it and buy more crap at a cheaper price.

Besides, ammo probably won't really be going down enough to cause any celebratory outbursts

jnyork
October 24, 2008, 04:32 PM
Interesting. Gasoline is $2.04 today. It was $2.08 yesterday, $2.19 last weekend, and $3.09 about 1.5 months ago.

WHERE??? :eek::eek: $3.05 the lowest price here today. :(

RP88
October 24, 2008, 04:34 PM
2.42 here in VA Beach, VA. 2.49 in Norfolk, 2.43 in Hampton, and so-on.

Milkmaster
October 24, 2008, 04:45 PM
If the ammo comes down in price a little, you can rest asured the Obamanation will add at least enough tax to it to make up the difference! Or so I have been reading in the NRA publications about taxing firearms etc.

LJH
October 24, 2008, 04:47 PM
Marble Falls TX, WWB at Wal-Mart no price change, however I did fill up with gas at $2.08 a gallon.

MGshaggy
October 24, 2008, 05:49 PM
Ammo prices going down?

Not by very much, not soon, and not for any extended period. Raw material prices may be in temporary decline, but don't forget that (1)the fed is considering another rate drop, and (2) the inflationary effect of adding anywhere from several hundred billion to a trillion or more to the money supply to increase bank liquidity. Add in the panic buying effects of the 'obama factor' to the gun and ammo market and its a recepie for continued high prices.

Sniper X
October 24, 2008, 05:56 PM
The cost of gas today was 2.75 for regular, even though the price per barrel was down 50% from July, when I see gas at $1.75 a gallon I'll start thinking ammo might be next.

skinewmexico
October 24, 2008, 05:59 PM
Our gas is still $2.89. I'll never understand why it's higher in the middle of the oilfield than in a major metropolitan area. Got some 7.62x39 at Academy for $2.99 though.

meef
October 24, 2008, 06:01 PM
I generally prefer to get my financial advice from the Oracle at Delphi rather than frantically rushing off to comply with sage Internet prognostication.

I've also found that reading sheep entrails is pretty much as accurate, too.

While we're at it, what are the numbers for this week's Megabucks lottery please.

:cool:

dhoomonyou
October 24, 2008, 06:22 PM
BUT if the DEMOCRATS have at it, we will be paying a THOUSAND percent tax on ammo.

Jorg Nysgerrig
October 24, 2008, 06:26 PM
BUT if the DEMOCRATS have at it, we will be paying a THOUSAND percent tax on ammo.

Answers like that shake my faith in natural selection.

MGshaggy
October 24, 2008, 06:41 PM
I generally prefer to get my financial advice from the Oracle at Delphi rather than frantically rushing off to comply with sage Internet prognostication.

Delphi? Wrong oracle. Try Omaha.

icanthitabarn
October 25, 2008, 12:16 AM
I get financial advice from my broker, E.F. Nuttin. (copyright Al Bundy)

WeThePeople
October 25, 2008, 12:25 AM
I keep a tail-load of ammo. As such, I haven't bought in a year until this last weekend. I was completely shocked at the jump.

MD_Willington
October 25, 2008, 12:51 AM
Academy was selling 7.62x39 for $2.99 a box...

Not sure how much is left now at that price...

Also at the end of hunting season look for places that are clearing out ammo, fewer people hunting mean ammo is "blown out" at the end of season.

Famine
October 25, 2008, 12:52 AM
Well you know what...my go-to target load is Blazer .45 ACP, and for the past 6+ months, it has been $13.99 on Natchez, and today when I checked, it's $11.99, so that is actually a pretty big difference. Not 75% difference, but it's something.

jaholder1971
October 25, 2008, 01:45 AM
Guys,

Prices are already coming down some, you just gotta watch for the bargains. But sheesh, here lately my reloading costs haven't saved me much thanks to the high cost of components and lack of availability with some. I'm reloading like crazy simply because i want to get it done before my heel surgery keeps me out of the basement for 6 weeks.

Iraq is beginning to wind down but the 'Stan's ramping up for a surge there this winter. Ammo manufacturers are still holding key contracts simply because the small arms ammo stockpiles are depleted, as in the stuff rolling outta Lake City and Black Hills is being shipped straight into theater. We're talking Just in Time delivery in the purest sense, friends.

Even if both wars wind down, the ammo makers are still going to be busy replenishing war reserves. However, that means that overruns should be plentiful.

jakemccoy
October 25, 2008, 01:53 AM
Is the little extra you could make selling worth the hassle of selling?

It's not like you're just pushing a "Sell" button.

rojocorsa
October 25, 2008, 02:07 AM
Let's just say that the Obamination did tax ammo, would they be smart to increase the reloading components i.e. smokeless, brass, bullets, primers, wads, etc.

CRITGIT
October 25, 2008, 02:41 AM
Quote:

Answers like that shake my faith in natural selection

I wished I had said that!:D

BTW Wally World has raised a simple box of Fed Bulk ammo from 8.96 to 13.57 in 15 months. They told me it's because of the increase in the minimum wage!:D:D:D Apparently they studied economics with "W" at the Univ of Ouija (Weegee).

Let's just say that the Obamination did tax ammo, would they be smart to increase the reloading components i.e. smokeless, brass, bullets, primers, wads, etc.

CRITGIT

smartshooter.45
October 25, 2008, 02:51 AM
Politics...politics...politics.

CRITGIT
October 25, 2008, 04:58 AM
democrats can love guns too!

i could make a broad generalization like: "if the repubs have at it then well be in war for the next 40 years and be lighting our woodfire stoves with dollar bills..."

my guess is the next administration will be busy with the economy and foreign wars. gun control will most likely be on the back burner.

Absolutely correct! Some folks still don't get it...This country is underwater economically and in other ways we won't go into here.
The last guy gave the next guy an overwhelming task!
Though gas and raw materials have taken a recent digger with the worldwide econ led by the US, don't look for companies to institute price changes downward unless demand drastically becomes an issue. With all the "sky is falling" talk among gunners you can rest assured the present sky high price structure will prevail.:fire:
Ya pay for your thrills............and prejudices!

CRITGIT

feedthehogs
October 25, 2008, 05:34 AM
gun control will most likely be on the back burner
Keep believing that if it helps you sleep at night.

As one who has been in the fight for guns rights for decades thru numerous administrations and economic downturns, gun control is never far from the front lines for certain peoples agenda's.

Gun control rears its ugly head in more ways than just outright banning of all firearms.

qajaq59
October 25, 2008, 05:52 AM
Ammo prices 75% off soon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copper and lead prices are collapsing daily! Look for prices to drop huge soon. We can no longer afford Iraq so they will be coming home soon, which will also bring prices way down. You might want to sell your stock now and buy back later.
Yeah, uh hu, sure.... Don't hold your breath waiting.

Geno
October 25, 2008, 06:10 AM
Two steps forward, one step back.

Dysfunctional Individual
October 25, 2008, 07:59 AM
Accounting for the freefall in oil prices, gas should be $1.93/gal on average as of today. However, don't expect station owners to sprain their ankles rushing to lower prices when their wholesale costs go down. Likewise for ammo.

N3810F
October 25, 2008, 09:20 AM
Delphi? Wrong oracle. Try Omaha.

Unless he actually lives in Greece and frequents ancient worship sites :neener:

baz
October 25, 2008, 11:10 AM
snipped by author...(OT)

Walkalong
October 25, 2008, 11:42 AM
We are in for tough times economy wise, no matter who gets elected. Prices will drop on many things simply because people will not be buying them. Ammo will come down some I believe, but it won't be soon, and it won't be much. People will continue to buy it, so it won't drop dramatically.

Daemon688
October 25, 2008, 12:24 PM
Let's see.....fuel prices are down 50 some %, do you see airlines cutting all those charges? And at the same time, I'm still paying $4.30/gal for diesel in LI, NY. Regular is going for $2.99.

esmith
October 25, 2008, 02:15 PM
Did anyone else notice that the original poster hasn't posted anything else since the thread opened? Troll.

trbon8r
October 25, 2008, 02:47 PM
Did anyone else notice that the original poster hasn't posted anything else since the thread opened? Troll.

Maybe the guy has other little things going on like a life, family, a job...........

CRITGIT
October 25, 2008, 02:55 PM
maybe the guy has other little things going on like a life, family, a job...........

:d :d

critgit

Dravur
October 25, 2008, 03:05 PM

CRITGIT
October 25, 2008, 04:27 PM

Daniel964
October 25, 2008, 06:51 PM
Sure. Just like gas will go down 75% if the price of the raw supply drops 75%.

Well. Oil prices are down 50% and gas prices here are down 40% so it's working out pretty close.

Eyesac
October 25, 2008, 07:39 PM
Edited due to noise/signal ratio

CRITGIT
October 25, 2008, 08:42 PM
Edited due to noise/signal ratio.

atblis
October 25, 2008, 08:46 PM
9mm Blazer Brass cased for $8.00 a box at natchezss.com

ridata
October 25, 2008, 11:32 PM
Let's see.....fuel prices are down 50 some %, do you see airlines cutting all those charges?
Dude, the airlines have just finished filing for bankruptcy. With all the fuel increases they weren't making any money, now with fuel low they might make some. When raw material prices went up, the ammo industry raised prices to compensate. The airlines couldn't raise them that much.

And back on track....
Is 17 cents per .308 bullet that much more expensive than it has been? Is that price going to go down?

camslam
October 25, 2008, 11:46 PM
Ammoman just jumped up their price another $10.00 on 1K rounds of 7.62 x 39 this week. I was a bit surprised to see that given the small drops showing up elsewhere.

Edited:

toivo
October 25, 2008, 11:57 PM
Dicks is now selling Remington 9mm for $7.98 a box. That is down $2 from the price in the summer.
They get it back by raising the price of shotgun shells: It's up about $2 a box over last year.

jakemccoy
October 26, 2008, 12:39 AM

daorhgih
October 26, 2008, 01:17 AM
#48. "Celebratory outbursts" are exactly why I'm stocking up and laying low on Nov. 5th. Like a college soccer team after they win: nothing to stand in the way. Win or lose, it's blood in the streets. Forget about "9-1-1" and hold on to "-1911".

esmith
October 26, 2008, 01:26 AM

Gato MontÚs
October 26, 2008, 01:29 AM
This current trend in our economy has hit us college student shooters the worst. Nothing like paying tuition, rent, living expenses AND increased ammo prices.

Had to sell my GP100 in order to help pay for rent, used what was left to buy a MKIII.

Gato MontÚs
October 26, 2008, 01:31 AM
has hit us college student shooters...

Um,...that is I am enrolled in college, not actively shooting college students.

Just wanted to be clear...:uhoh:

usmcpmi
October 26, 2008, 01:55 AM

JxGx78
October 26, 2008, 01:57 AM
Prices might fall in the short-term, but always bet on inflation for the long term. With the politicians and the Keynesians calling the shots if deflation is a remote chance the printing presses will be running at full speed, and the gov't will borrow even more. Plus, with the idea of a "Bretton Woods 2" being thrown around the devaluation of the dollar might become a policy goal.

Edit: Just wanted to clarify that I don't think inflation to combat deflation is a good idea. Its like backing up over someone after driving over them. It doesn't help and just makes thing worse.

CRITGIT
October 26, 2008, 04:42 AM

Double Naught Spy
October 26, 2008, 08:39 AM
I really like the thread title about 75% off. Now I just paid $14 a box for Blazer .45 acp a week ago (though somebody previously said it was down to $12). At 75% off, that would be $10.50 less, bringing the price down to $3.50 a box. Cool. I think the cheapest I ever paid for .45 acp Blazer in the last 7 or 8 years was $6.75 a box. So prices are going to come down WAY BELOW what they were before the war started?

JimR
October 26, 2008, 08:55 AM
There's probably enough folks stocking up for fear of the Obamination to keep prices inflated, regardless of the plummeting materials costs. If I'm in the ammo business, no need to lower my prices until sales slow down.

At the gun show yesterday, Georgia Arms (http://georgia-arms.com/index.aspx) was doing huge business. 500-round ammo boxes were very popular, often multiples to the same customer.

1911Tuner
October 26, 2008, 10:53 AM
This is already too deep into the political, ladies and laddies. We ain't s'posed to do politics.

So...Let's get it back on topic, please.

MAKster
October 26, 2008, 11:34 AM
Dicks is also selling Remington Gun Club shotgun shells for $4.98 a box.

Bailey Guns
October 26, 2008, 12:21 PM
Rather than keep shooting expensive ammo I decided to get a new hobby. Bought myself a new $20k Harley.

Imagine how much money I saved since I don't buy as much ammo! :confused:

esmith
October 26, 2008, 01:05 PM

CRITGIT
October 26, 2008, 01:53 PM

tpaw
October 26, 2008, 02:09 PM
Keep the ammo you have and buy more now.

esmith
October 26, 2008, 02:22 PM

jackdanson
October 26, 2008, 02:28 PM
I think the most we can hope for is that prices don't continue to increase.

CBS220
October 26, 2008, 02:37 PM
I've noticed a slight tick downwards in prices. Especially in the 7.62X39 department, which makes me happy.

But I don't know if we'll ever see the days of cheap 2000-2004 ammo again.

wep45
October 26, 2008, 02:43 PM
ok and let me know when elvis arrives :what:

wep45
October 26, 2008, 02:45 PM
o lawrdy the booogy man gonna get us all:neener:

SCBradley
October 26, 2008, 04:39 PM
Seriously, what does it take to get banned around here? Did I miss the memo? Is incessantly bashing the President now gun related?

1911Tuner
October 26, 2008, 06:00 PM
Certain parties will notice that their posts have been edited for content or deleted due to...you guessed it...

The thread is is related to ammo prices. It says so right there in the headline. If it drifts off onto the political side again, it'll be locked.

Thank you for shopping with us and do come again.

rondog
October 26, 2008, 06:36 PM
This is a price chart for monthly copper futures prices for the last several years. This tells me copper is just making a retracement/correction, or "backing up for another run at it". The demand is still there, and the supply ain't big enough. Although lead HAS done some nice dropping the last year.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/misc%20stuff/CPM-1.gif

CRITGIT
October 26, 2008, 07:04 PM
Rimfire has in many cases doubled or more with no copper.
Winchester Dynapoints were $10.00/500ct a couple/three of years ago.
Now they're $29.00 for the same product:eek: though one place claims to have them for 15.00ish but they're no where near me.

CRITGIT

Big45
October 26, 2008, 07:05 PM
Well it happened. The OP nailed it alright. I just ordered a case of .308 for 8 bucks. Oh happy dayssssssss, are hereeeeeeee againnnnnnnnnnn

Jorg Nysgerrig
October 26, 2008, 07:32 PM
Rimfire has in many cases doubled or more with no copper.

Which rimfire are you using that doesn't have copper?

CRITGIT
October 27, 2008, 03:22 AM
Copper's not much of an issue with rimfire. Lead, brass (nickel copper alloy) and in some cases a copper colored wash. But in terms of the bullet it's lead.
Doubling and more the price doesn't compute!
My 55gr Noslers doubled...that at least has some rationale.

CRITGIT

cornman
October 27, 2008, 10:01 AM
I don't know why you are posting a month old chart on copper saying it is ready for another run when it is down almost 40% to 1.66 since Oct. 1.

Jorg Nysgerrig
October 27, 2008, 11:50 AM
Copper's not much of an issue with rimfire. Lead, brass (nickel copper alloy) and in some cases a copper colored wash

Isn't the brass 70% copper? I thought zinc was the other component, but I could be wrong.

Doubling and more the price doesn't compute!

I'm afraid you've lost me. Both lead and copper had been going up for the last few years. Your .22 cartridges are made of both. If you toss zinc in there, it's pretty clear that most of the materials used to make a .22 cartridge shot up 3-4X in over the last 5 years.

http://www.kitconet.com/charts/metals/base/spot-copper-5y.gif

http://www.kitconet.com/charts/metals/base/spot-lead-5y.gif

http://www.kitconet.com/charts/metals/base/spot-zinc-5y.gif

rondog
October 27, 2008, 12:40 PM
I don't know why you are posting a month old chart on copper saying it is ready for another run when it is down almost 40% to 1.66 since Oct. 1.

I didn't notice that chart ended with September. That's a monthly chart and they obviously don't have October on it yet, sorry.

CRITGIT
October 27, 2008, 02:22 PM
As a result of a devastating fire at our place within the past 6 weeks I found myself in the position of collecting aluminum from several melted ladders and spools of copper wire which had also been consumed. I was rather disappointed at the $$ they returned via the metal salvage yard.
Hardly worth the gas and time to get it there.
...and don't be concerned for being lost. The prices even by your charts are down substantially over there highs but ammo "ain't" coming down anytime soon.
The retail "lag" works considerably quick when prices go up but not so fast when they could go down.
Ammo prices where I am doubled or more from 8-2007 to now rather than 2006 - 2007.
Computerized price changes can be accomplished in a nanosecond...but they most likely won't. I would think if demand stays the same so will the price.
One things for sure all the charts in the universe can't justify Win Dynapoints going from 10.00 to 29.00 in a year.

CRITGIT

taliv
October 27, 2008, 02:25 PM
The retail "lag" works considerably quick when prices go up but not so fast when they could go down.

that hasn't been true for gas prices, as the record drop this month has shown

rondog
October 27, 2008, 04:16 PM
I think "fear factor" has to be considered with ammo prices. The manufacturers and retailers know there's a LOT of us stockpiling the stuff because of various "uncertainties" looming in the distance.

f4t9r
October 27, 2008, 04:32 PM
I have a bridge for sale I'd like to talk to you about.

Oh! And there really is an Easter Bunny, and Santa Claus is real too!

We already know the Easter Bunny and Santa are for real !!!!!
Where is that bridge at you are selling , I know someone looking for one.
By the way I do not think ammo prices are comming down

CRITGIT
October 27, 2008, 05:04 PM
that hasn't been true for gas prices, as the record drop this month has shown

That might depend on where one resides. But for the overwhelming majority of consumer goods it's a fact of life! Including ammo which by a glimpse of the posted charts can confirm.

CRITGIT

ilbob
October 27, 2008, 05:22 PM
One of the things you need to remember is that most commodities are not purchased on the spot market, so it takes a while for price changes to work their way into the system.

gasoline is one of the few where there is a direct correlation between the spot market and the retail price. you need to remember that the cost of the petroleum is only part of the cost in a gallon of gas. its the largest part, but taxes is the second largest, and refining, distribution, profits, etc is about the same as taxes.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/bookshelf/brochures/gasolinepricesprimer/

According to this authoritative site, the average cost of gas in 2007 was $2.80. Of this, 28 cents was distribution and marketing, 48 cents was refining and profits, 42 cents was taxes, and 162 cents was the cost of the oil.

So even if oil dropped by 50%, the price of gas would only be expected to drop from $2.80 to $1.99, solely because of the drop in price of oil.

There are a lot of other factors that affect the price of gasoline. A few years back there was essentially a gas war going on between European and American refineries who were operating at 100% capacity that drove the pump price down under a dollar. The oil companies were barely profitable for several years then.

Tacbandit
October 28, 2008, 12:07 AM
Gas is $2.42 here today...not great, but better than $4.00 + like it was...Since I'm not reloading yet, I'm picking and choosing on sale ammo. I'm not in panic mode, but I do feel it is prudent to stockpile a little ammo. I think it'll be a while before we see ammo prices really low again...especially for those darned "ASSAULT RIFLES..." You can always move ammo...if not,heck.........shoot it up......:)

JasonblkZ06
October 29, 2008, 12:30 AM
What is this politics, politics, politics I keep seeing?

1911Tuner
October 29, 2008, 07:45 AM
What is this politics, politics, politics I keep seeing?

Posts edited because of political argument.

schloe
October 29, 2008, 10:37 AM
Copper, lead and zinc are all back at 2005 pricing levels. ammo prices will come down, but i doubt they get back to 2005 levels.

LTB15J
October 29, 2008, 10:46 AM
i know its not an accurate measure, but cheaperthandirt.com has reduced the pricing on alot of their ammo very recently.

october price:
remington UMC, .40 S&W 50 rnds 18.90
remington UMC, .223 rem, 20 rnds 10.97
remington UMC, 9mm 50 rnds, 13.97

november price:
remington UMC, .40 S&W 50 rnds 15.49
remington UMC, .223 Rem 20 rnds 9.59
remington UMC, 9mm 50 rnds, 12.59

Explorer1
October 31, 2008, 08:40 PM
Obama, Schumer, Boxer, and many others want as much as a 500% tax on ammo and you are worried about prices going DOWN?

We can only pray major prices drops is what happens, it would be GREAT news!

Dksimon
October 31, 2008, 09:30 PM
Unless you know something about economics that i dont know it is not wise to sell now and buy back later. Raw materials may be comming down in price but i dont think the actuall price of ammo will come down by very much, if any at all.

P.S. I filled up today with the 10% ethanol stuff for 2.34 per gallon.

45crittergitter
November 7, 2008, 05:24 PM

I was at a local Wal-Mart yesterday. They had Remington Thunderbolt .22LR (the cheap stuff) for $6.87 per box of 50, or $6.87 per brick of 500.

QUICK_DRAW_McGRAW
November 7, 2008, 06:30 PM
ya know i got a bridge i need to talk with you about, its about half done, just long enough over the river to fall into the deepest part.

sorry but prices will never come down, they have yet to as long as ive been around, and my grandfather says the same thing.

and to top it off, when the Olympics where going on we where getting 230 per ton of scrap metal (i work at a wrecking yard) its now down to $40. they say we will have to PAY to get rid of it some day.

Rmart30
November 7, 2008, 07:18 PM
If ammo prices hit 75% off of what they are now I will have to build myself a warehouse.

ericyp
November 8, 2008, 04:53 AM
5 months ago, the cost of crude oil was around $130/barrel, and gas was 4.15/gallon. Now crude has dropped to $6x/barrel last I looked, and gas is back down to $2.31/gallon. Hope this trend carries over to ammo too!

trbon8r
November 8, 2008, 08:38 AM
The same people saying that ammo prices are just going to keep going up and up, are sames ones that last summer would have laughed at you if you told them gas would be under 3 bucks a gallon by October. The ammo prices will come down, but it's going to take a little time for the price drops in commodities to be reflected on the shelves. Just give it some time, and don't panic.

Mannlicher
November 8, 2008, 09:18 AM
cornmanCopper and lead prices are collapsing daily! Look for prices to drop huge soon. We can no longer afford Iraq so they will be coming home soon, which will also bring prices way down. You might want to sell your stock now and buy back later.

At first I thought this was a joke post, but I see some are actually considering this loony toons approach to reality.

Sooner than you expect, the dhimmicrats will ban ammo, and then where will you be?

What I have is bought and paid for, and I am keeping it.

1911govt
November 13, 2008, 12:21 AM
I just bought 1000 rounds of Blazer Brass 9mm ammo at walmart for 8.57/box of 50. This is the best deal on ammo you'll get anywhere. I'm going to pick up 500 rounds of .45 tomorrow at 13.97/box of 50. This beats any bulk order I can find anywhere. This isn't the old steel cased crud either.

mongo4567
November 13, 2008, 12:28 AM
Yep, I got some of the .45 at Walmart yesterday, it was $13.97 for a 50x box of brass cased Federal.

351 WINCHESTER
November 13, 2008, 12:33 AM
Gas is under 2 bucks and falling. I think there is an abundance of ammo and with the economy in the toilet it will have to be discounted in order to move it.

RippinSVT
November 13, 2008, 12:36 AM
550rds of bargain .22LR was about $6-7 a few years back, then it's been $12-14 until recently, now it's $19.99 at Bass Pro. Ugh...

45crittergitter
November 25, 2008, 05:21 PM
Correction to my last post: $68.70 per brick.

OOOXOOO
November 25, 2008, 05:56 PM
That is funny (OP). America needs to take a good hard look at working economics classes into the school system. Demand will far outpace supply for some time, hence no break in price. If anything I see prices going up. That $2.00 gasoline takes the same amount of money out of your pocket as the $4.00 gas did. The difference is there are less dollars being spent in the economy. The only way ammo would go down in price is if nobody bought it for a long time (think years).

308sc
November 25, 2008, 07:05 PM
gas is $1.67 here, and prices on ammo are as high as ever.

taliv
November 25, 2008, 08:42 PM
i paid $1.56 for gas an hour ago, while this week walmart raised the price of remington 550ct 22lr packs to over $18.

it may take a bit for that to correct

atblis
November 25, 2008, 09:27 PM
9mm ammo prices are coming down. When do bullets start getting cheaper? I haven't seen them budge yet.

Double Naught Spy
November 25, 2008, 09:40 PM
So y'all think that gas prices and ammo prices are directly correlated? I don't think that is the case at all. Gas prices may make up a part of ammo price, but it isn't the biggest part.

atblis
November 25, 2008, 09:44 PM
Copper is down.
Lead is down.
Fuel is down.
Demand is not down.

XD-40 Shooter
November 25, 2008, 09:48 PM
I was pricing factory 40 ammo at sportsmansguide last night, I used to buy Fiocchi before I started reloading. Now, a case of Fiocchi goes for $370.:eek::what: I'm sure glad I reload, I can load a case of 165 grain Ranier's for $120.:D

jcwit
November 25, 2008, 10:07 PM
Everything has gone up in price. In 1971 I ordered and took delivery in Jan 1972 of a '72 Corvette for $7000 and that isn't stripped.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo prices 75% off soon" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!