Adding an inexpensive .45 ACP to my collection..fair price for a used Ruger P???

PDA

saturno_v
October 24, 2008, 04:21 PM
Ok...after listening my friends bragging all the time about their .45, I decided to add a decent quality fortyfive to my collection at the lowest possible cost (I'm not a big fan of the caliber).

I do not like the 1911 design, I prefer a DA/SA platform.
I was thinking about a Ruger P series, I heard they are very tough, reliable, reasonably accurate and for some reason not very sought after and this keep their price in the used market low (they are inexpensive brand new to begin with).

I shot a Ruger P in .40 S&W once and I did like it.

So what could be a reasonable asking price for a used specimen in very good conditions?? I live in the Seattle area, WA.

Any other suggestions???

Thanks!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Adding an inexpensive .45 ACP to my collection..fair price for a used Ruger P???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1KPerDay
October 24, 2008, 04:39 PM
(I'm not a big fan of the caliber).
Then why buy one? :)

saturno_v
October 24, 2008, 05:03 PM
Then why buy one?

Let's say I'm not an enough of a big fan to spend several hundred dollars for one...

1KPerDay
October 24, 2008, 05:19 PM
Search gunbroker or the like for P90, P97, and P345 completed auctions... you should be able to get a P90 for a song... if you just want to try one out. And if you don't like it you could always use it as a club or a doorstop or a hammer. :D Personally I think the P97 and 345 seem pretty cool, though I've never fired one. Based on Ruger's reputation I'd expect any of them to work beautifully.

wnycollector
October 24, 2008, 05:41 PM
Try to find a P97. It is a nice soft shooting, reliable DA .45! Here is a nice one on GB http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=114108514

Mike J
October 24, 2008, 07:09 PM
I have seen Ruger .45's for sale from around 350 to 400 dollars.
While I have never shot one just about everything I have heard about them has been good.
If you would like more info on the different P-series .45 caliber models available I would suggest visiting www.Rugerforum.com You could do a search or start a thread. There is a lot of info about Ruger products there.

Onesiphorus
October 24, 2008, 10:09 PM
Bought a p345 a few weeks ago. Very reliable and dead on accaurate. To date have fire 300 rounds with no malfuntions. The thin profile makes it easy to carry.

s4s4u
October 24, 2008, 11:02 PM
(I'm not a big fan of the caliber).

sacriledge

Frog48
October 25, 2008, 01:12 AM
Adding an inexpensive .45 ACP to my collection... (I'm not a big fan of the caliber).

With all due respect... Are you crazy? Whats not to like? :D

saturno_v
October 25, 2008, 01:21 AM
With all due respect... Are you crazy? Whats not to like?

I just prefer the .40 S&W.
A bit more energy (unless you consider the .45 +P then they are equal, however there is very hot .40 ammo out there outperforming even the fortyfive +P) more penetration on average and more magazine capacity.

The downside is a more snappy recoil but I can deal with it :D

Blue .45
October 25, 2008, 01:56 AM
I like the P90 and P97. The P90 has an aluminum frame, which allows for more grip options, but both are great guns. I never owned a P345, but based on my experiences with other Ruger products, I'm sure it's a good one too.

greener
October 25, 2008, 06:57 AM
I bought a used Ruger P90DC for $200 bucks a while back. I've been very pleased with the function, feel, fit and accuracy of the pistol. The trigger seems to have a long pretravel in SA. Not bad, just something you have to adjust to.

I'm not a big fan of .45 either. That must be the reason I reloaded only 300 rounds last night for my range trip today and haven't had any interest in buying anything in .40.:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Adding an inexpensive .45 ACP to my collection..fair price for a used Ruger P???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!