Is Wall-Martís 550 pack of golden bullets as good as the 525 pack?

PDA

G.A.Pster
October 24, 2008, 11:01 PM
Wall-Mart, has the best deal on 22 ammo Iíve seen,
Does their 550 pack of Remington golden bullets as good of quality as what youíd get in the 525 pack that everyone else sells?

I donít want some kind of factory seconds or something.
Iím sure itís the same but I figured Iíd ask.

Thanks. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Is Wall-Martís 550 pack of golden bullets as good as the 525 pack?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
esmith
October 24, 2008, 11:09 PM
Golden Bullets have been by far the worst .22 i have yet to shoot. Thunderbolts aren't as bad but people on here have a lot of problems with those too. Get the Federal Bulk Packs, that seems to be the best for the cheapest deal, at least among the board.

sharkhunter2018
October 24, 2008, 11:27 PM
Golden bullets are junk. I shot about 150 rounds of the stuff earlier this week and it was jam-o-matic. At times, every other round would fail to eject. Other than that, it is accurate enough for plinking. My biggest problem with the Golden Bullets though is that it's just dirty to handle. After loading several mags your hands look like they are covered in gold dust. I guess that is why they are called Golden Bullets.

Once all the GB's were gone, I started shooting the Federal. About 150 rounds with no hiccups. On top of that, your hands won't have a golden tint to them after loading several mags.

Shade00
October 24, 2008, 11:45 PM
That's odd. My experience is exactly the opposite. 0 problems with the Remington bulk stuff, but last time I bought a bulk Federal pack it was absolutely horrible with so many bad primer strikes and jams I couldn't even count. No more Federal for me.

Forget to mention this was out of my S&W .22 Kit Gun, my Walther P22, and my 2 .22 semi-auto rifles.

Mike U.
October 25, 2008, 05:01 AM
Go to www.rimfirecentral.com. Do a search and you'll get the scoop from the guys and gals that really know all things rimfire.
I mean, these folks are absolutely anal about the performance of their guns and the ammo that feeds them. A great bunch of people with a wealth of rimfire knowledge.

As for me, I will NEVER buy Remington Golden Bullets ever again. Jam-o-matic and here's the typical sounds of the rounds going off. BANG! POP! BANG! Pfft! Bang! Pfft! Pop! BANG!
I actually had to check the barrel on a few shots to make sure the bullet cleared the barrel. Thus quoth the Raven: NEVERMORE!

Life is too short to shoot crappy ammo.

WC145
October 25, 2008, 05:38 AM
Yeah, the reminton golden is crap, no consistency. When I buy bulk it's federal or winchester.

JDGray
October 25, 2008, 05:48 AM
Its a crap shoot on bulk .22. The Remington seems to have some duds mixed in, and the Federal at times, seems under powered. The Feds have notably less recoil in my 22/45, and the rims are undersized, so extraction wasn't 100%. A Volquartsen extractor fixed that issue;) Ya get what you pay for, its not self defence ammo, so I put up with the stuff:D

Rossshady120
October 25, 2008, 07:03 AM
i get the 500 winchester super x hollow points high velocity for 12.95

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
October 25, 2008, 07:07 AM
It's the same ammo as everyone else's, it's just packed in larger containers. I get real good service out of it in some rifles and not in others. Mileage varies depending on if the gun "likes" it.

Regards,

Dave

Rossshady120
October 25, 2008, 07:13 AM
my firestorm .22 should be running fine off of wal-mart ammo.

Brian Williams
October 25, 2008, 07:25 AM
The old Engineering addage, You can have 2 of 3; Quality, Availability, or Cost.
I have great luck with Federal bulk pack.

railroader
October 25, 2008, 08:14 AM
I like federal bulk pack but I also shoot the winchester 333 bulk pack which seems more accurate out of my 22s. Mark

Aka Zero
October 25, 2008, 08:18 AM
Good luck here with federal. mostly......

Had two bricks go kinda iffy on me. Would cycle great in my mkIII but you could see the shells fly different. 10 ft, 10ft, 6 ft, 4 ft, 10, 5, 10 10..... like so....

But the reall issue was in the p-22 any light load and it got a weird thing going, sheel would barely eject, but the slide wouldn't catch the next round in the mag. Nothing chambered. Or it would fail to feed completely.

So unless you buy 50 boxes, QC can be an issue even with stuff that was great before. Shot 1k though my p-22, after few initial feeds issues, it was 100%, until my last 2 bricks of federal.

swiftak
October 25, 2008, 08:39 AM
The bulk pacs at Walley World are junk. I can use them in my bolt or lever 22s, but they are junk in 22 auto loaders. Winchester, Federal, and especially Remington ought to be ashamed to sell this junk. Or maybe we should be ashamed that we still buy it.

pinstripe
October 25, 2008, 08:40 AM
Go with the federals. I absolutely will not buy anymore Remington goldens. They are filthy as hell and aren't worth the price of the box they are packed in. I have shot other caliber remington cartridges and I like them, just not the goldens:barf:.

bakert
October 25, 2008, 08:41 AM
I've had good luck with Federal bulk pack .22s the last few years but in the past not so good. Like esmith noted, Thunderbolts have worked better for me than many others claim. My problems with Golden Remingtons in handguns seem to be the wax build up causing jams but they work pretty good in my 10-22.
Although more expensive in my area, the Win Super X is the one I would use for hunting.

CajunBass
October 25, 2008, 08:53 AM
No it's not. Remington and Wal-Mart have gone to a lot of trouble to add that extra 25 rounds to bad ammo to a box just so they can get rid of the second grade stuff. They have a guy at the end of the line who tosses in a handful from a "reject" tub every box that goes by. :rolleyes:

Of course the real answer is 22 ammo is cheap. Adding 25 more rounds to a box costs next to nothing, but it might get you to buy brand "R" vs brand "F."

Actually though in my experience, the entire box of Remington is second grade, it's just not done on purpose. Stick with Federal.

gvnwst
October 25, 2008, 09:17 AM
That's odd. My experience is exactly the opposite. 0 problems with the Remington bulk stuff, but last time I bought a bulk Federal pack it was absolutely horrible with so many bad primer strikes and jams I couldn't even count. No more Federal for me.

Same here. In my semi auto, i used to fire federal, but had so many problems, i tried gold box. It ran perfectly... can't use any other kind of ammo in it.

Rossshady120
October 25, 2008, 09:37 AM
never had one FTF or FTE on my savage .22 bolt with aka wally world ammo. never had a FTF or FTE with my s2k or bersa 9 with it either. winchester stands behind its name and wally world also sells a winchester knifes for 14.95 that is mighty fine.

nero45acp
October 25, 2008, 09:52 AM
I use both the Federal and Remington bulk stuff in my revolvers, bolt action and leverguns without any problems. For my semi auto twenty-twos I use CCI or Winchester.

nero

Justin
October 25, 2008, 10:07 AM
Stay away from the Remington and Winchester Super X XPert* bulk packs unless you want to work on your jam clearing skills.

The Federal bulk packs are alright, but still have a higher number of FTF's than, say, CCI.

*Thanks, Mal

trbon8r
October 25, 2008, 10:42 AM
I have no problem with Remington Golden Bullets. They work fine in my 10/22 and P22 pistol. My 10/22 with Tech Sights will easily hold 2.5 to 3 inch groups at 100 yards with this "junk" ammo, and sometimes better. It shoots so well, I don't bother with the extra cost or expense of match .22 ammo.

m00t
October 25, 2008, 03:24 PM
I'm still sad that wally-world no longer sells Winchester Dynapoint bulk .22 ammo... that stuff had the best consistency of any bulk we've tried, across the largest number of platforms. Most .22's will shoot each brand differently.... some like Rem, some Fed, some Win SuperX..... but Dynapoints seemed to work well for nearly everyone. You can still pick up a box at K-mart, but it's nearly double the price of what it was at wally world :(

Try a search on RFC to see how great that bulk ammo really was ^_^

Mal H
October 25, 2008, 04:47 PM
I've got to jump in here and correct my friend Justin when he says:
Stay away from the Remington and Winchester Super X bulk packs unless you want to work on your jam clearing skills.I agree with that statement about the Remington bulk, but please don't disparage Winchester Super-X rounds. First of all, I don't think they even sell Super-X in bulk and secondly they are premium cartridges. I believe you have mixed up Super-X with Winchester Xpert, which is trash even more so than any Remingtons you can buy.

As far as bulk pack quality, I've got to agree with the m00t point (;))about Win Dynapoints. I've always found them to be the best of the lot, but I can't find them anywhere these days. Fortunately, I stocked up when I could get them, but I only have 3 boxes left.

G.A.Pster
October 25, 2008, 05:03 PM
Hmm that’s odd, in my dad’s 2 10/22s (one has a butler creek barrel the other is stock) golden bullets (from the 525 pack) performed very well with sub 1 inch groups at 50 yards.
He bought the federal value pack or whatever it’s called from wallmart and we were lucky to get 2.5 to 3 inch groups and there were twice as many jams.

mgregg85
October 25, 2008, 06:12 PM
The only reason they throw in the extra 25 cartridges is to try to trick you into buying the crap. Get the federal bulk stuff and you will be happy.

CRITGIT
October 25, 2008, 09:34 PM
They are just as bad at WW as they are anywhere else. Same ugly stuff.
Dirty, inconsistent, and inaccurate in my guns.

CRITGIT

MIL-DOT
October 25, 2008, 10:07 PM
(quote) ".....with Winchester Xpert, which is trash even more so than any Remingtons you can buy."

This simply isn't true. I've been spending time on rimfirecentral lately, and testing various ammo types, high-end & bulk, through my Marlin 60 and particularly,a new CZ 452. Me and two friends all really like the Winchester Xpert bulk, in my 60 and CZ, and my friends two 10/22's and Ruger pistol. I don't think we've had a dud or a PFFFTT-round yet. We thought we liked the wally- world bulk Fed, till we started using the Xpert.The Xpert is noticably more consistent and accurate than the Fed-bulk. Lots of guy over at rinfirecentral like this,as well ( for econo-bulk, that is).
But NO bulk .22 ammo is as universally reviled as the Remmy stuff.

Mal H
October 25, 2008, 10:35 PM
This simply isn't true.No, it simply is true. It is true in my experience with two boxes of the stuff. I got numerous FTF's and it was dirtier than most any other ammo I've ever used. Now, the boxes of Xpert were bought and used about 4 to 5 years ago. It's quite possible that they have improved their procedures and quality control; that happens all the time when a product is sub-standard. I have no qualms about saying the Xpert ammo I used was sub-standard.

jack the toad
October 25, 2008, 11:04 PM
I've went through a lot of the Fed 550 bulk in Browning Buckmarks with very few hiccups so I keep buying the Federal.

MIL-DOT
October 26, 2008, 11:18 AM
(quote) " No, it simply IS true. It is true in my experience with two boxes of the stuff."

You're still wrong. First, you didn't say "in my experience" in your first reference to this ammo. You made a definative statement,"xpert is trash, even more so than any Remington you can buy". I can't argue with your experience with this ammo,but even you admit it was a limited sampling,and 5 years ago.
The guys at rinfirecentral are widely acknowledged here as being the .22 authorities,and while Xpert has its detractors there, many there like it just fine for bulk ammo, but there is no question that the Remington stuff is the most despised name-brand bulk ammo around.

johnmcl
October 26, 2008, 12:29 PM
Hi all,

In bulk ammo, my preferences in worst to best are Remington, Winchester, and then Federal.

My love though is for CCI Mini Mags. I know they are outside of the scope of bulk ammo as they come in boxes of 100 vs multiples of a hundred. My experience shows the premium pays off in reliability and accuracy. Specifically, I find my 39A shoots those CCIs superbly. I've won a couple of the THR monthly rimfire matches at 50yds with that combination.

Best of luck on the search, and make sure and report back with your findings.

trbon8r
October 26, 2008, 12:39 PM
I guess being the dumb redneck I am, rather than worrying about the opinion of so-called gurus on Rimfire Central, I just go out and shoot the Remington ammo and hit the target. The Remington works fine for me, and shoots more accurate than Federal out of my 10/22.

CRITGIT
October 26, 2008, 12:57 PM
guess being the dumb redneck I am, rather than worrying about the opinion of so-called gurus on Rimfire Central, I just go out and shoot the Remington ammo and hit the target. The Remington works fine for me, and shoots more accurate than Federal out of my 10/22.

CRITGIT

CBS220
October 26, 2008, 01:40 PM
Federal Bulk pack is superior... or Federal Automatch, which is also wonderful.

I've had no luck with the Golden Bullets... it does ok in some guns, but I also have more than a few in which it does not do so well.

dogrunner
October 26, 2008, 02:27 PM
Opinions are just that........mostly based on personal experience. That said, I have a German Anschutz (made for the German Market) of standard European light bbld sporter configuration.......double sets & all, that shoots that Golden crap like Ely target ammo!...........Utterly amazed me, but at 65 yards it'll hold one tiny cluster of about 3/8"!!!..........after all the commentary I'd read on the superiority of Federal's stuff I then bought a bulk pack of that thinking that if the "crappy" Remington did that well then the latter ought to darn well outshoot it........group opened up to about 1.5 to 2"...........thought it had to be me so I tried some Wildcat Winchester stuff I had laying around and it duplicated the the Federal ammo...........Then I asked a buddy to try the rifle and his experience was identical to mine.

Just goes to show that what one gun likes another might not. I will say that the Remington stuff DOES present occasional duds........and it also chrono's about 200 fps slower out of a very short bbld pistol of mine....Federal beats hell out of it for that purpose.

All that said, given the consistent accuracy the stuff's demonstrated I'd have to use it should I elect to pursue tree rats this year!

Rossshady120
October 26, 2008, 02:39 PM
can't wait to get my firestorm .22 and shoot all this ****ty with no problems. don't blame the round, blame the gun. this is what this thread sounds like to me. "shell gas is better then hess's gas ITS ALL THE SAME ****T MAN

CBS220
October 26, 2008, 02:43 PM
It's definitely not the same stuff, by any means.

A gun can jam if held incorrectly, but I like to think most THR members are intelligent enough to not limp wrist a gun then blame the ammo.

Fact of life: A significant number of rimfires are very ammo sensitive.

woof
October 26, 2008, 02:48 PM
Walmart has the Federal Champion 510 in boxes of 50. It is a little more than Federal bulk but worth it IMO and still much less than any of the match ammo.

jjohnson
October 26, 2008, 02:58 PM
Well, Gents, I see a lot of opinions here and I'm sure some, if not all, have some merit, but I don't see much scientific evidence. :scrutiny:

I've been shooting up my older ammo recently (well, SOMEBODY has to do it to make room for fresh ammo :p) and noticed a LOT of FTFs in my Ruger MkI that fired just fine in a revolver, which led me to wondering if it's time to put a spring kit in the MkI.

Of course, being at the range anyway, and being a tightwad by nature, I just saved a pile of the ejected duds from the MKI to see how many would shoot in the revolver.... and I found that, sure enough, many of them WERE duds - about 1 in 3 wouldn't fire when hit a second time by the revolver.

So.... while I may need a spring kit for the Ruger, some of my ammo pile really is bad. In that pile, most of the duds were Winchester.

What I haven't seen here is an honest tally of what's going on. I guess it'd be worthwhile to take the kids to the range some day and shoot up a carton of each brand from Wally's to see some real "hard data."

I've certainly noticed that generally speaking, the bargain boxes do contain what seems like a lot of FTFs recently, but I don't have any numbers to share either - just anecdotes.

Anybody out there feel like shooting a couple thousand rounds in the pursuit of science?

jackdanson
October 26, 2008, 07:22 PM
I've never had an issue with them in my ruger mk3 or marlin 60. I must be the odd man out. In fact I've had them group 2-3 inches at 75 yards out of the 60. Not too bad for cheap rifle, cheap ammo, and a mediocre shooter.

woof
October 26, 2008, 07:47 PM
By the way experience "is" scientific evidence. Just because you didn't make charts and calculate stats doesn't mean you don't have the data.

Justin
October 26, 2008, 07:49 PM
I agree with that statement about the Remington bulk, but please don't disparage Winchester Super-X rounds. First of all, I don't think they even sell Super-X in bulk and secondly they are premium cartridges. I believe you have mixed up Super-X with Winchester Xpert, which is trash even more so than any Remingtons you can buy.

Gah!

You're right! I meant to say the Winchester Xpert ammo. My girlfriend almost dumped me over that crap and the frustration it caused her at a local Steel Challenge match.

MIL-DOT
October 26, 2008, 08:14 PM
(quote)"guess being the dumb redneck I am, rather than worrying about the opinion of so-called gurus on Rimfire Central, I just go out and shoot the Remington ammo and hit the target. The Remington works fine for me, and shoots more accurate than Federal out of my 10/22."

Easy,there,fellas !! Ain't nobody calling nobody a redneck !! And no one's "WORRYING about the opinion of so-called gurus on rimfirecentral".
But the fact is that these guys are widely acknowledged,even here,as a great source of honest,accurate,.22 info,( with good reason) and that's been my experience,as well.
My issue (trivial as it was) was with mal H's contention that the Winny Xpert was "trash..worse than any Remingtons you can buy".
If you do a search, you'll likely find that no name-brand bulk ammo is as despised as the Remmy stuff. And I am fully aware that different rifles favor different ammos, my CZ happens to like the Xpert stuff, and at $13 a box, I ain't complaining. Granted,it likes the more expensive CCI standard velocity even more, but at more than double the price, I'll take the occasional flyer from the Winnys without crying.
Peace, my brothas !!!! :D

Inspector3711
October 27, 2008, 03:47 AM
+1 for the Federal Automatch. My Walmart carries them in 325 count boxes... Since I tried it I can't bring myself to use up the two boxes of golden crap I have.... My rifle went from 1" 5 shot groups to sub .500" 10 shot groups and my pistol mirrors the same kind of improvement. With the rifle I'm on paper at 200 yards!

Joshua M. Smith
October 28, 2008, 08:51 PM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/Guns/remingtonduds.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/Guns/target.jpg

While accurate "enough" at 50 yards for taking game, these two Remington don't seem to have primer compound in the rims. One cost me a squirrel. The other almost did, but I was able to work the bolt quickly enough that it didn't escape.

MD_Willington
October 28, 2008, 09:20 PM
I support the local guys...

CCI Blazer from ATK

Just belted off a bunch of it over in Idaho, S&W 617... no problems at all.

TakeNoBull
December 22, 2009, 06:43 PM
My new Marlin 60 would not shoot the Winchester 333 bulk .22 ammo. It would not eject the spent shell and I would have the new shell jammed in behind it. It happen constantly. Seem to shoot the Winchester super X much better with one or two problems in fifty rounds. And shot the range federal rounds great with one or two minor ejection problems out of hundred. Range guy said the rifle which had never been fired other then factory needed to be broke in and cleaning and lube might help? :eek:

Gryffydd
December 22, 2009, 07:03 PM
I always used to have better luck with the Golden Bullets than the Federals in my 10/22. Bottom line is, none of the bulk stuff is as good as the premium stuff. Try it all, use what works best for you at a price you're willing to pay.

On the other hand, it seems odd that they'd sell ammo at a store that specializes in walls.

[Pb]
December 22, 2009, 07:04 PM
My Ruger loves the 550s of golden bullets. They are the same as the others.

rogertc1
December 22, 2009, 07:06 PM
CCI MinMag rule

CZguy
December 22, 2009, 07:42 PM
My Ruger loves the 550s of golden bullets. They are the same as the others.

I have a model 60 that likes Rem. ammo. They are not the same...............I have to clean it at least twice as often. :uhoh:

ThePunisher'sArmory
December 22, 2009, 07:50 PM
I think all the bulk stuff is about the same. I have never had any problems with any of it in my rifles. The only time federal or remington has given me a problem was in a walther P22. That gun is only happy with CCI blazer, no probs with that.

FMJMIKE
December 22, 2009, 07:57 PM
Golden Bullets = Filthy Crappy Ammo...........Avoid it !

If you enjoyed reading about "Is Wall-Martís 550 pack of golden bullets as good as the 525 pack?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!