Picking up my silencer today.

PDA

husbandofaromanian
October 25, 2008, 05:50 AM
After a 7 month wait due to multiple problems including my dealer going out of business and my forgeting to include $200 in the envelope to atf, I am finally getting my Gemtech .223 silencer.

This is my 2nd silencer. My first one is a Tac-65 22lr silencer.

My host weapon is a Bullberry G2 pistol. I chose this platform because no gas excapes in the action of a single shot like the G2.

I feel very fortunate to be able to make acquisitions like this before the country becomes communist. We won Heller by the skin of our teeth. I am not so sure we will win future battles.

For people not familiar with silencers or for those who say "why would anybody want one of those unless they are an assasin", my answer is "imagine taking your children target shooting and not having to worry about their hearing protection".

If you enjoyed reading about "Picking up my silencer today." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mad Magyar
October 25, 2008, 07:37 AM
I feel very fortunate to be able to make acquisitions like this before the country becomes communist. We won Heller by the skin of our teeth. I am not so sure we will win future battles.
Interesting....
imagine taking your children target shooting and not having to worry about their hearing protection".
Interesting.....:rolleyes:

Justin
October 25, 2008, 09:08 AM
Mad Magyar, what's with the rolling of the eyes? Frankly, anyone who takes two minutes to think about it should see the inherent utility of using a suppressor for practice and training, especially when it comes to introducing people to firearms for the first time.

LTB15J
October 25, 2008, 09:11 AM
as a fellow californian i am happy to see your acquisition was successful. for years ive kinda dreamed about having one on my own AR15, but due to the laws, well, as you said the communism in this country is slowly taking our rights. no more is that more prominent than in California; where having an 'assault weapon' (evil media term) is pretty much impossible unless you want a neutered, bullet button equipped 10 round rifle.

and getting a silencer? ha! the only way, unless of course you have an nfa class 3, is if you got the DOJ to sign off on a manufacturing license. (ha-ha)

for those questioning the practicality of a suppressor, one might be inclined to look in his own gun cabinet before making such comments.

MGshaggy
October 25, 2008, 09:19 AM
For people not familiar with silencers or for those who say "why would anybody want one of those unless they are an assasin", my answer is "imagine taking your children target shooting and not having to worry about their hearing protection".

Good point. I've often found that a can is a great way to introduce a newbie to shooting. Unless you're using subsonic 223, however, I'd still recommend hearing protection for the kids - regular supersonic 223 is still going to be about as loud as an unsuppressed 22LR.

Wanta B
October 25, 2008, 11:22 AM
I would love to get a couple of them...I live out in the boonies but do have a few neighbors that are still well within earshot.I do shoot on my property on my range 200m messured. However out of respect to my neighbors I only shoot when they are not home for the most part.It would be GREAT to be able to practice when ever I felt like it! :cool:Add to this that I have,as a few of my neighbors also,shot varmits in the middle of the night.It would be nice to do that without wakeing the whole area!

Cans,not just for commandos and assasins anymore.:D

Wanta B

chris in va
October 25, 2008, 03:50 PM
and my forgeting to include $200 in the envelope to atf:D

For some reason I find this pretty humorous. Wish we could *all* forget something like that.

telomerase
October 25, 2008, 05:14 PM
Frankly, anyone who takes two minutes to think about it should see the inherent utility of using a suppressor for practice and training, especially when it comes to introducing people to firearms for the first time.

It would go a long way toward saving shooting ranges, too. No nonshooter wants a range as a neighbor, but it would help if the users would at least get their technology up to 1900 levels and quiet the place down. We don't run our horseless carriages without mufflers anymore, which makes it a little easier to live with cars.

throdgrain
October 25, 2008, 05:21 PM
Oddly enough, over here for all there anti-gun BS, the authorities have no problem with moderators. In fact I dont know any one who doesnt have one.

Wierd ol world ...

Kind of Blued
October 26, 2008, 01:18 AM
Congratulations! They're fun!

Do you mind posting a photo of the Bullberry if you have one handy? I gather that it's something like a Thompson Contender, but I haven't heard of a "Bullberry" anything.

Or just 'splain it to me. :)

P.S. I didn't realize that subsonic .223 loads were possible. I just did a bit of research. Interesting...

DoubleTapDrew
October 26, 2008, 01:47 AM
We don't run our horseless carriages without mufflers anymore, which makes it a little easier to live with cars.
+1 it's for The Children™
Just as long as we don't have to put catalytic convertors on our lead accelerators. Congratulations on your new can. I think .223 or 7.62 will be my next as well. They have pretty fierce barks (especially short barrel ones) even though recoil isn't that bad so it can be intimidating to newer shooters.

husbandofaromanian
October 27, 2008, 11:30 AM
Bullberry (www.bullberry.com) is a custom barrel source for TC Contenders and Encore's. I chose Bullberry for my 22lr because I wanted extreme accuracy (I can hit a 12" gong @ 300 yards 4 out of 5 times shooting Eley ammo).

I chose SSK industries for my .223 because I wanted a faster twist rate (1-in-9) so that I can shoot heavier projectiles (ss109 62-grain).

I chose the TC G2 Contender pistol because there is no gas leakage in a single shot like the G2. Therefor, with 22lr, it is VERY quiet.

The Wiry Irishman
October 27, 2008, 06:09 PM
I chose Bullberry for my 22lr because I wanted extreme accuracy (I can hit a 12" gong @ 300 yards 4 out of 5 times shooting Eley ammo).

From a rest or unsupported? Either way, that sounds like a ton of fun.

32winspl
October 27, 2008, 09:18 PM
Hey folks, there have probably been a hundred threads re: supressors but have never or seldom read them until this one. Heck, I may have asked this one before. I'll pay attention this time.
Is the $200 fee a one-time thing?

xx7grant7x
October 27, 2008, 09:51 PM
yes

one time for each suppressor, Tax stamp RE: Uncle Sam

Ben Shepherd
October 27, 2008, 10:02 PM
The suppressor is serial numbered just like a firearm. 200 tax for that serial number.

One company, Yankee Hill, makes a 223 supressor that screws on their special flask hider securely BY HAND. So if you have multiple AR's or 223s that are threaded for a standard flash hider, you put their flash hider on the rifles and you can put the suppressor on any one of them quickly and easily.

Just make sure you take a COPY of the tax stamp with you anytime you take the suppressor out of the house.

husbandofaromanian
October 28, 2008, 05:17 AM
From a rest or unsupported? Either way, that sounds like a ton of fun.

Bullberry installed a nut in my forearm so that I can shoot off of a tripod. The .223 recoil is light enough that it can also be shot off of the tripod. Also, the silencer acts as a super effective brake and a super effective flash suppressor.

Gathering a crowd. Nothing gets more attention at the range than an nfa firearm.

I enjoy talking with anybody that will listen about my gun hobby and my silencers. It is amazing how many people's first reaction is to ask me if I am an assasin (almost always with a smile on their face). But it puts a chill down my spine when they're not smiling.

VirgilCaine
October 28, 2008, 02:44 PM
Bullberry installed a nut in my forearm so that I can shoot off of a tripod.

I hope you mean the forearm of the weapon...;)

thejetman
October 28, 2008, 05:46 PM
Why don't you just make one? As long as you have the threaded barrel. Its pretty simple really. Get a nut that fits the threads, weld, or JB Weld a washer around the nut. Find a length of tubing, thin steel, aluminum, whatever. Cut it in half. Get washers that fit the inside diameter of the tube. Drill holes in the washers, JB Weld them into the tube at every 1/4 inch or so. Weld tube half over washers, weld on washer on end of tube. Bam, silencer. Spray paint it black or whatever. The military taught us different techniques on how to make these if needed.

MGshaggy
October 28, 2008, 06:10 PM
Why don't you just make one?

Because unless you file a form 1 and pay the $200 tax, you'd be committing a felony. Moreover, anything built as you you describe would be far less effective than a unit made by a company specializing in suppressor design, and experienced with baffle design. Since the $200 is a fixed cost regardless whether you make it or buy it, you may as well get something thats going to work well.

husbandofaromanian
October 28, 2008, 09:19 PM
I am all for people making their own stuff. But me, I pay for everything. A certain gunsmith has made a lot of money from me. I prefer to pay people who really know their trade than to experiment myself.

If you end up making your own silencer, please post pictures. That would be really fun to see.

Hostile Amish
October 29, 2008, 12:16 AM
Get a nut that fits the threads, weld, or JB Weld a washer around the nut. Find a length of tubing, thin steel, aluminum, whatever. Cut it in half. Get washers that fit the inside diameter of the tube. Drill holes in the washers, JB Weld them into the tube at every 1/4 inch or so. Weld tube half over washers, weld on washer on end of tube. Bam, silencer.

Honestly, I'd rather buy one than go to all that trouble for something that won't work as well (not to mention won't look as good).

husbandofaromanian
October 29, 2008, 10:47 AM
WARNING!!! I have been told that silencers are gateway toys to other, much more expensive, nfa weapons. Such as machine guns, 20mm rifles (http://www.anzioironworks.com/20MM-TAKE-DOWN-RIFLE.htm), etc.

To best of my knowledge there are no treatment centers for nfa addiction. Enter at your own risk.

DoubleTapDrew
October 30, 2008, 12:47 PM
I'm not ready to go to NFAAA (NFA-Aholics Anonymous). It's not a problem, I can stop anytime I want...really!
It is kind of like a drug. Folks eating ramen and living in houses smaller than they could afford if it wasn't for the NFA habbit (especially MGs).

WoofersInc
October 30, 2008, 12:51 PM
What? I can stop buying these things anytime I want.. I can, I can stop anytime now..

Anyone got some spare change for a .223 suppressor. It will be my last I promise. If only I could get that .223 suppressor, then no more........:D

Girodin
October 30, 2008, 01:55 PM
How do you like the tac 65? I'm considering one for my GSG-5P SBR project.

dfire
October 30, 2008, 04:03 PM
I was just about to ask the same thing . I will be using a p22 as my host. I've heard good things about the tac65 but also the new AAC prodigy. I am still waiting on my AAC M4-1000 for my AR. I love suppressors but hate the wait times.

OOOXOOO
October 30, 2008, 04:29 PM
I'm still waiting for my latest NFA purchase. Right now suppressor manufacturers are seeing a huge increase in demand, and the ATF is backed up with all kinds of requests. I sure hope it won't take 7 months.

husbandofaromanian
October 30, 2008, 06:36 PM
I've had a lot of fun with my Tac-65. It's very quiet on my setup and it is easily cleaned. I am not able to compare it to other models since this is the only one I've ever shot. However, it is one of the few that dissassembles for cleaning. Cleaning is a big deal with 22lr because the projectiles are lead and lead accumulates on the baffles slowely making your silencer gain weight.

Also, as I've mentioned before, my setup is extremely accurate. One of my new favorite target shooting activities is shooting golf balls.
Read the range with the laser range finder.
Plug the range into the pda (using Exbal ballistic software)
dial it in.
SMACK the golf ball.
LOTTTS OF FUN!!!:)

hacksaw
October 31, 2008, 08:46 AM
No Pics, never happened...:scrutiny:

(ok, I'm just jealous, but I still want pics)

If you enjoyed reading about "Picking up my silencer today." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!