Rem 552 Disassembly

PDA

briang2ad
October 25, 2008, 06:03 PM
I have the on-line instructions, but:

1) What is the easiest way to get the barrel out to clean it WITHOUT detail stripping. It looks like you undo the bolt under the front hand guard, and pull it out, but I don't want to mess up.

2) Can you get the wood OFF the rifle without detail stripping? (I want to refinish it).

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rem 552 Disassembly" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tribbles
October 25, 2008, 06:28 PM
1) What is the easiest way to get the barrel out to clean it WITHOUT detail stripping. It looks like you undo the bolt under the front hand guard, and pull it out, but I don't want to mess up.

That's pretty much it. Be careful, though, because the bolt (of the gun, not the bolt that holds the barrel assembly to the receiver) is held in place under pressure from the charging handle spring.

2) Can you get the wood OFF the rifle without detail stripping? (I want to refinish it).

As far as the handguard goes, it's loosely attached to the magazine tube, so you have to remove the mag tube from the barrel before it can slide off. For the buttstock, I believe you need to remove the buttplate to gain access to the retaining screw/bolt/nut/whatever.

rangerruck
October 26, 2008, 01:32 AM
tribbles is exactly right, just remove the front end stuff. Wait till you try and put it back on...

If you enjoyed reading about "Rem 552 Disassembly" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!