Colt or Noveske. Please contribute to the thread.

PDA

Timradcliffe345
October 25, 2008, 07:26 PM
Which is the better choice for a HD/SHTF carbine - Colt 6920 or Noveske N4 Recce? Please share your experience with these weapon systems. Thank you and God Bless.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt or Noveske. Please contribute to the thread." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RockyMtnTactical
October 25, 2008, 08:33 PM
Noveske makes a better quality weapon, but it may be splitting hairs to even make a distinction in reliability. It's not a huge difference...

taliv
October 25, 2008, 08:44 PM
Noveske makes a better quality weapon

in what way?

RockyMtnTactical
October 25, 2008, 08:48 PM
The best barrels.

sinistr
October 25, 2008, 10:26 PM
could you elaberate on the barrel comment,i am thinking about a custom build for my next project,thanks.

Neener Neener
October 25, 2008, 10:50 PM
Six of one, half a dozen of the other. Both are great. While I am no expert, I have read in numerous places Noveske has the best barrel out there.

FlyinBryan
October 26, 2008, 12:27 AM
i picked the novey.

ive never owned one but ive owned a colt and a bushmaster and out of those two the bushmaster is the better rifle, at least out of the ones ive owned.

my 16" bushmaster shoots groups 1/2 the size my colt did and the colt was a heavy bbl match target rifle (6700c a3)

maybe i had a bad colt but i wont buy another one.

7.62shooter
October 26, 2008, 12:33 AM
i dont own a noveske but that what i would go with. About the same price as a Colt but it already comes with a troy buckup iron sight and a Vltor modstock. Whereas the Colt comes with the detachable carry handle and a regular carbine stock. The novekse barrels are said to be the most accurate on the market now. Novske also double chromes their barrels. the 6020 and the N4 are probly the two best rifles on the AR maket right now. You can not go wrong with either.

hags
October 26, 2008, 12:35 AM
I don't know that Noveske make a better quality weapon. They certainly do make quality weapons.
I voted Colt.
Their barrels are 4150 CMV and machine gun rated.
I know Noveske uses a stainless steel barrel in most of their weapons.
They also offer a barrel made of Mil Spec M249 Machine Gun barrel steel, with heavy M249 Chrome Lining.
I know the chrome lining is thicker than an M4 (Colt) but the chrome is severely worn after a couple thousand rounds.

Erik
November 22, 2008, 07:30 PM
So close as to be academic, but Colt and FN enjoys top tier status, milspec wise; Noveske does not. I'd be very happy with a Noveske product, and in fact was disappointed to see they weren't accepting new orders a couple of weeks back, when I was looking to add a rifle to the safe.

natescout
November 22, 2008, 07:45 PM
noveske is not milspec ?

RockyMtnTactical
November 23, 2008, 01:43 AM
They are milspec where it counts, even better...

RyanM
November 23, 2008, 01:52 AM
Actually, Noveske does not individually high pressure test their bolts, and they use blue extractor inserts and 4-coil extractor springs in all their rifles, including carbines. Those are the sole departures from Mil-spec that I'm aware of, and they aren't that significant. But you do have a 0.01% higher chance of getting a bum bolt with Noveske, and you'll probably have extraction issues if you get a Noveske with a CAR length gas system, and run a ton of NATO spec ammo through it without cleaning the chamber. Unless you get an extractor spring upgrade kit from BCM, which costs $5.

I even put one in my LMT bolt, which is 100% milspec to begin with. Extractor tension of the BCM spring alone was equal to the LMT spring with O-ring added. Excellent use of $5.

H2O MAN
November 23, 2008, 04:06 PM
I owned and sold my LE 6920.

I am now in the process of assembling a new AR.
Noveske 16" mid length N4 Light Recce Low-Profile Upper on a POF lower.

There is nothing wrong with the Colt, I just wanted a better barrel and a mid length gas system.

Erik
November 23, 2008, 06:07 PM
What you really should be asking yourself, is what is your perceived need? Once you've ID'd your need, obtain the ideal tool to fill the niche. Do you need a close range carbine capable of being used at mid-range, or a mid-range rifle capable of being used at close ranges? The 6920 being designed as the first and the RECCE being designed as the second. It sounds as if, of the two, you need a 6920; unless you live in a very, very big house. ;)

Exchange "need" for "want" as necessary for honesty's sake and it still holds true.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colt or Noveske. Please contribute to the thread." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!