Lets Talk About Renaissance Wax Folks

PDA

Ala Dan
October 26, 2008, 04:22 AM
Greeting's All-

I just received my 200ml can of Renaissance Wax for the potential
of preserving my cherished and beloved possessions- handguns~!

I have a few questions, before I begin. What surface preparation
is needed before applying this product to any handgun? Can you
use this wax on nickel handguns, as well? I noticed that it comes
from England, and is used on many very rare and scarce relics;
so I assume it will not hurt a handguns finish at all. Am I correct
in this assumption? Thank you for your time, and I will await your
responses before begining.

McCain-Palin on November 4th~!

If you enjoyed reading about "Lets Talk About Renaissance Wax Folks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Pistol Toter
October 26, 2008, 10:55 AM
http://www.quaero-et-adamo.com/english/renaissance_wax.htm

I've never had any of the product, would like to have some but like yourself not sure how to use it. I have always been under the impression that the oils needed to be removed prior to apllication but perhaps not.

I guess you saw that UT got its head handed to them liast night. NO SUPRISE! We nned to send a moving van to Fullmers house. LOL

mainmech48
October 26, 2008, 12:30 PM
IIRC, there should be directions for surface prep on the jar. The labels on mine disappeared long ago, which ought to tell you a bit about how long one jar lasts.

I remove the stock(s)/grips on firearms and use a mild degreaser on the metal. Then I apply a very thin coating using a small piece of cloth wrapped around a fingertip to all exposed metal surfaces and the inside of the wood using a circular pattern much like "spit shining" a shoe.

When it dries completely, I polish off any residue with a soft cloth and reassemble. I then apply a coat to the outer surface of the stock for good measure.

Renaissance wax contains no 'cleaners' or abrasives. It won't adversely affect the finish or patina and may be used on about any metal, wood or leather without harming it.

The toughest thing is learning to resist the "more would be better" urge. Practicing technique on a field knife or the like helps develop a 'feel' for how very little of the product is actually needed for optimum results.

I have both antique and reproduction swords, unusual fighting knives and firearms, some primarily for display in our home, that haven't required reapplication or touch-up for almost twenty years now and show no deterioration whatsoever.

Good stuff. I think you'll be happy with it.

Old Fuff
October 26, 2008, 12:52 PM
I would add that it's particularly good on nickel and other plated surfaces, and unlike some oil-based products it doesn't contain any solvents that attack copper or nickel. It can also be used to preserve leather.

Very good stuff.

Ala Dan
October 26, 2008, 02:02 PM
Gentlemen, many thanks for the great advice. I will adhere to your
recommendations; and practice on a couple of Benchmade knives~! ;)

I'm also look'in forward to the challenge of applying Renaissance Wax
to my small but growing collection~! :D

I almost forgot one last question. How about applying this product to
weapons that see constant use; such as range guns, or daily CCW pieces?

McCain-Palin On Nov. 4th~!

Old Fuff
October 26, 2008, 02:31 PM
I almost forgot one last question. How about applying this product to
weapons that see constant use; such as range guns, or daily CCW pieces?

Provided the surface is polished and not bead-blasted, it is an excellent choice over grease or oil that can make the gun feel slipery and even stain clothing.

Question: If you had an older car that had nickel-chrome bumpers and trim, would you use grease, oil or wax to protect them from the elements?

Would you use grease, oil or wax on the painted surfaces?

You know the answer as well as I do... ;)

Ala Dan
October 26, 2008, 02:35 PM
You're correct Old Fuff my friend~! I think WAX is the 1st and
foremost; many thanks for the quick reply~! ;) :D

MCain-Palin On Nov. 4th~!

benderx4
October 26, 2008, 03:26 PM
Awesome stuff! I normally use Mothers Carnuba Polish for my stainless steel guns, but the Renaissance Wax is the only thing that touches my blued Colt Python.

Show us some pics when you're done!

CWL
October 27, 2008, 01:08 AM
Use RenWax for guns and knives. Never had problems using RenWax on any metal surfaces from bare carbon steel, stainless, blued, nickle, hardchromed, polycoated, etc. Also use on wood, micarta, G-10, everything, even leather.

ARTiger
October 28, 2008, 01:10 AM
Where can one obtain said super wax?

Ala Dan
October 28, 2008, 03:03 AM
Att: ARTiger My Friend-

Highland Woodworking
1045 N HIGHLAND AVE NE
ATLANTA. GA 30306
PX: (404) -4466

Cost is $24.95 for a 200 ml can, + 7 bucks and some change S/H;
or a bit over $32.00 Shipped UPS Ground Only. I ordered late one
evening last week; next evening, it was sitt'in on my doorstep~!

I used a little bit today on a pristine show piece S&W model 10-5
from 1963-1965. Like they say, use caution cause a little bit goes
a long way~!

FootNote: Be sure to use this product on the inside, and outside
of wood grips; and a'round the frame. It came out look'in really
nice; and I will try too get pics up soon. ;) :cool: :D

This gun really didn't need it, but it gave it a good "spit shine"~!

mainmech48
October 28, 2008, 09:49 AM
Also available from Midway, Brownell's, Atlanta Cutlery and various others. Prices vary, but Ala Dan's quote is about average for the product. Shipping could be less from another source or if other items were in the same order.

200 ml doesn't sound like much product for the price, but a very tiny bit goes a long, long way. I've treated at least forty different items with the jar I bought years ago and there's still about 1/3 of it left to go.

FWIW, Blue Wonder has a polymer product called "Armadillo" that, while pretty much metal/firearms-specific, retails for a bit less money and protects the finish of stored and carry weapons quite well.

trickshot
October 29, 2008, 12:33 AM
Does Renaissance Wax have much of an odor?
I am very allergic to all man made chemical smells. I use NyOil on my guns because it is the only oil of that type that has no odor. But I would really like to find a good wax that I could use to prevent rust on my guns.

ARTiger
October 29, 2008, 01:18 AM
Thanks Ala Dan. Sounds like it'll be good for some vintage fishing reels as well as my guns.

Ala Dan
October 29, 2008, 11:49 AM
Att: trickshot My Friend-

Yes, Ren Wax does give off a small amount of odor; but it smells
pleasant too me. If you are sensitive to man made odors, it may
not be for you; I don't know~? :scrutiny: :)

Flame Red
October 29, 2008, 05:20 PM
One comment I will make. I do not use Renaissance Wax on any Blued guns. It is not a wax but a polish. Use it on a blue gun and you will see blue discoloration on the cloth! I use only Johnson's Paste Wax on Blued guns.

Renaissance Wax is great on Stainless guns especially the ones that have a mirror finish. It does not show any finger prints after application. I don't know how it does that!

CWL
October 30, 2008, 05:59 PM
Use it on a blue gun and you will see blue discoloration on the cloth!

Nah, it is a wax and not a polish (they recommend it to preserve old photos btw.)

What you are seeing is removal of already oxidized material on the outer surface of the metal. The wax is simply removing this before sealing the still-good steel underneath. I do this on my blue steel guns and notice red residue on my cloth, this is rust that is invisible on the gun. Do this regularly over time and you will notice that there will be no more residue on your polish cloth because the steel has been sealed & protected by your wax.

If you use high-end car wax, you will notice the same thing on your cloth, it is paint that has oxidized and not longer protecting the car. The wax removes this before sealing & protecting the still-good paint underneath.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lets Talk About Renaissance Wax Folks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!