Why I won't buy a "plastic" 10/22.

PDA

CajunBass
October 26, 2008, 04:34 PM
Because I keep finding ones like this for less money.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/CajunBass/002-1.jpg

It had a hang tag on it that said "10/22 DL." Now I don't know if "DL" is a designation Ruger used before they started to use DSP or not, but it's basically the same thing. Walnut checkered stock, but no rubber butt pad, and I think the sling swivles are add ons due to the white spacers. According to the serial number (116-7XXX) it was made in 1977, and sports a "no warning" barrel. The wood looks better than in the picture. I found one small scratch on it, and the butt looks a little worn, probably from being carried in the crook of someone's arm for years.

I haven't had a chance to range test it yet, but I took it "down the hill" out back and ran 30 rounds or so through it, and shot the snot out of a peach can. No problems at all.

Plastic trigger? Who cares?

I know the picture isn't very good. I need a better camera but this one still works. Sort of.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why I won't buy a "plastic" 10/22." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rubber_Duck
October 26, 2008, 04:48 PM
I'm with you on this one. No sense in buying a new .22 when there's plenty of good used ones to be had for less than the price of a new one.

I picked up a 1971 Marlin Model 60 for $50. I don't think I'll ever be buying a brand-new .22LR rifle. :)

bonza
October 26, 2008, 04:52 PM
Great find. I 'd like to find one of the 10/22s with the Mannlicher stock on a used rack somwtime.

bannockburn
October 26, 2008, 05:18 PM
CajunBass

Nice find, reminds me of my 10/22, though mine was the standard model. I bought it new in 1978 for $64.50. Yours looks like the fancier Deluxe Sporter which retailed for $89.50 in 1977. It featured a hand checkered pistol grip and fore-end, sling swivels, and no barrel band.

Dookie
October 26, 2008, 09:10 PM
I am guessing with a 116,XXX serial number, that it is either the incorrect barrel for the receiver, or it was one that that Ruger had laying around and put on. 1977 is about 3 years to late for a non warning barrel, I had a 1974 that did not have one, I got it from the guy who bought it new.

Either way, nice rifle and great find, they want 200 locally for a 118,XXX DSP, warning barrel, that is beat and slightly rusty. Even though right next to it is a new DSP for 70 bucks more.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
October 26, 2008, 09:26 PM
Absolutely. It's amazing how you can find old rimfires that higher quality for less money than all the new ones.

wep45
October 26, 2008, 09:55 PM
nice find. that is one good looking rifle. enjoy your new purchase

rangerruck
October 27, 2008, 01:37 AM
you are correct sir, no need for the new ones. However, this will eventually drive up the price, of the used ones.
Kill off the plastic new ones i say...

Inspector3711
October 27, 2008, 04:26 AM
Great rifles... I have one with a Butler Creek target barrel that shoots half inch 10 shot groups at 50 yards with the factory trigger that's off my pull gage heavy.

Oohrah
October 27, 2008, 04:31 AM
I bought a DSP or Sporting Delux
new back in the early 70s for the
grand total of $99. No barrel band
and a hand checkered walnut stock.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why I won't buy a "plastic" 10/22." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!