Need new front sight post for AR, Help!!

PDA

chrissmallwood
October 26, 2008, 04:42 PM
Hi all. I finally got a set of irons for my AR and I took it out to the range today to see what she can do. My groups were about 2-3" but I was having trouble doing better because my front sight post is big enough that it covers most of the target at that distance. Ive looked at all the different posts available online but I honestly dont know which one would be better. I want the smallest I can get while still being usable. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need new front sight post for AR, Help!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rubber_Duck
October 26, 2008, 04:54 PM
Take a look at the National Match front sight posts. The one I put on my Bushy is .050" wide (versus .070" for OEM) and I couldn't be happier. You can get some pretty precise shots off with it.

Run a Google search for NM or DCM sights to find out who is selling them. I can't remember off the top of my head where I got mine.

You can also check out the KNS front sight posts over at Model 1 Sales, as they offer one all the way down to .034", however I didn't like these because they are the same standard width for the most part and the tip is stepped-down, whereas the National Match front sight post is skinny from the bottom all the way to the top.

Hopefully this makes some sense. If not, just ask. :)

chrissmallwood
October 26, 2008, 05:07 PM
Thanks. I looked at the ones you mentioned and I saw the ones from KNS that have a small round tip on them. How would those work? I might just get one of each and try them out. Also I was thinking of changing the rear apertures for something smaller as well and I saw they had NM apertures at ar-15rifles.com but Im not sure which ones would be better, the 0.46-0.200 aperture, the 0.52-0.200 aperture or the 0.30-0.40aperture. Does anyone have any experience with those?

PS: It turns out that my rifle likes 75grns quite a bit even though it has a 1-9 barrel. I ran some 75grn Prvi Match rounds through it and grouped a bit better than the 55grns rounds I was using.

Rubber_Duck
October 26, 2008, 05:48 PM
I also have one of those KNS sight posts with the dot on top (it's what they give you if you select ROUND instead of SQUARE when you order), but I've never installed it to try it out.

As for the apertures, the 0.46-0.200 and 0.52-0.200 should both work well, and the best way to find out is to just buy them and try them out yourself. I wouldn't recommend that third one you listed as both apertures are small, so you will lose the ghost ring. I currently have the .052-200 on mine (I use NM sights front and rear).

PS: It turns out that my rifle likes 75grns quite a bit even though it has a 1-9 barrel. I ran some 75grn Prvi Match rounds through it and grouped a bit better than the 55grns rounds I was using.

Interesting. I might have to give that a try, as I've never fired anything other than 55gr out of my Bushy's 1:9.

chrissmallwood
October 26, 2008, 06:03 PM
Thanks Duck. I think Ill just have to get a few different ones and try them out.

Canuck-IL
October 26, 2008, 06:10 PM
I suspect the round tip ones are to avoid a common problem with NM sights - the top of them is angled down toward the muzzle. So if you want to adjust front sight height, you have to go a full 360 degree rotation to get a square sight picture back. That's 5 MOA in one rotation. With a round tip or a standard completely square post, you can adjust one detent at a time (1.25 MOA).

Some of the AMU shooters take a std .07 square sight and file the sides down a little - add a little sight black and you have a narrower but still square front tip.
/Bryan

Samgotit
October 26, 2008, 06:19 PM
I have the one below. I do like it better than a .070.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=463361

If you enjoyed reading about "Need new front sight post for AR, Help!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!