They just ran a story on fox that said gun purchases up

PDA

Mr Crowley
October 27, 2008, 01:02 PM
The reasons they listed were.

1. Tough economic times could cause people to result to crime

2. People fearing Obama's potential gun control.

I have to admit. I definately had the thought cross my mind when I purchased my handgun last week.
1. Other people turning to crime during bad times might cause them to victimize me/my family.

Edited for content: Politics

As much as I and many others on staff may agree with your position, political discussions are discouraged here. Too much leeway for hot button/flame war escalations. Armed Polite Society has a political forum if you'd like to visit and vent your frustrations.

Thank you

Tuner

"Law-abiding, responsible citizens do not and should not need to ask anyone's permission or approval to engage in a peaceful activity. Gun ownership, by itself, harms no other person and cannot morally justify criminal penalties." -Libertarian Party Platform

If you enjoyed reading about "They just ran a story on fox that said gun purchases up" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tommygunn
October 27, 2008, 01:08 PM
Edited for content: Political

Handgunner
October 27, 2008, 01:32 PM
So maybe it isn't a terrible idea purchase something now before there is to much red tape.

100% agreed. :)

The Lone Haranguer
October 27, 2008, 01:33 PM
Every action has unintended consequences. The "assault weapons" ban of 1994 only resulted in the same guns altered in appearance, as well as a race to see who could build the smallest possible handgun that still holds 10 rounds. The mini-Glock and other subcompact handguns are a direct outgrowth of this, IMO. At least that was a good consequence. :)

TexasRifleman
October 27, 2008, 01:35 PM

SJG26
October 27, 2008, 01:39 PM
"They just ran a story on fox that said gun purchases up

1. Touch economic times could cause people to result to crime

2. People fearing Obama's potential gun control."

Add a third:

3. Potential unrest in urban areas after the election............

Lots of media chat about it too.....

foghornl
October 27, 2008, 01:42 PM
Same story was also a link on the MSN.com home page.

My humble 1/50th of $1...

Buy what you want/can afford right now. My crystal ball on this election cycle is very fuzzy...can't tell

mbt2001
October 27, 2008, 01:44 PM
I agree, but do not make decisions out of fear. If you do, then someone else is controlling you. Always take a second to breathe and review the best course of action, if you concur with your fear decision, then do it, but do not be goaded by fear into a position.

Mr Crowley
October 27, 2008, 02:11 PM

Walkalong
October 27, 2008, 02:18 PM

Mr Crowley
October 27, 2008, 02:34 PM

husbandofaromanian
October 27, 2008, 02:39 PM

Seenterman
October 27, 2008, 02:47 PM
Cute sentiment, but not reality. Do you or do you not live in reality?

If you live in reality, today, you have only those 2 choices and must take a side. If you can't even take a side, even if it's the "lesser of 2 evils" then you have no right to complain if you lose rights later since you didn't do anything to protect them.

As gun owners we should be outraged at ALL abuses of our rights, and lowering of evidencery standards, not the ones that directly affect us.

Gun owners that live in a bubble and think that Only 2nd Amendemnt Issues affect me, and nothing else; truly scare me.

Sure if they declared all gun owners "enemy combatants" tomorrow, nothing would happen to you. Keep thinking that. How does that poem go . . .

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist. . .

TexasRifleman
October 27, 2008, 02:49 PM
Edited: Bordering on personal attack. Please reread the rules.

Hmm, telling someone that if they don't vote they are contributing to the problem is a personal attack? Wow.

98C5
October 27, 2008, 02:52 PM
2. People fearing Obama's potential gun control.

But.....but....but his commercial says he supports the 2nd amendment...

He wouldn't lie to us, would he???

:rolleyes:

camslam
October 27, 2008, 03:18 PM
Careful, careful, careful. There is way too much political talk in this thread.

I just don't understand why so many threads have political comment since it is against the rules.

Maybe it is because this election and the future of our gun rights are entrenched in POLITICS and it is the most important thing gun owners can and should be discussing at this time.

I bought my AK a few months ago because the future is uncertain at best, and just plain dismal at the least. We are in for a tough 4 years and then some.

I just love reading from my fellow gun owners here on this forum about how the anti's won't have time to go after our guns because of everything else going on.

DREAM ON PEOPLE!

Get your guns and ammo now while the price is reasonable and the ability to purchase them is there.

highorder
October 27, 2008, 03:20 PM
...race to see who could build the smallest possible handgun that still holds 10 rounds. The mini-Glock and other subcompact handguns are a direct outgrowth of this, IMO. At least that was a good consequence.

an often overlooked consequence of the 1994 AWB; development moved to meet new criteria, resulting in better CCW options.

Mr Crowley
October 27, 2008, 03:28 PM
I just don't understand why so many threads have political comment since it is against the rules.

Where is it against the rules?
http://www.thehighroad.org/code-of-conduct.html

this is related to firearms/civil liberties?

N3HCP
October 27, 2008, 03:29 PM
Much as I would like to buy more guns, the possibility of another Assault Weapons Ban, this time with a provision for the confiscation of ARs. AKs, Mini14s, and most other semi-auto rifles and shotguns scares me. If the predictions of a Democratic party Congress and very liberal, anti gun president make this not only possible, but, IMHO, likely.:fire:

Vonderek
October 27, 2008, 03:35 PM

Zipperhead
October 27, 2008, 03:44 PM

Flame Red
October 27, 2008, 03:45 PM
I went to the local Fun Store to pick up a transfer for a collectible Colt Saturday that came in. While there I was going to ask him if he would transfer a Sig 556 for me from CDNN who had a good deal on them.

While in there I was chatting with a couple that was 'hoarding' AR's and was picking up cases of ammo.

Then I saw he had one of the Sig 556's in stock I was looking for. Walked out with it specifically because of the Obomination effect. Probably will get one more of something before the Coronation.

Elmer
October 27, 2008, 04:01 PM
Yeah, it's kinda ironic how those that oppose guns, have ended up being the best salespeople for them by pushing their goofy laws.

When the California AW ban was enacted in 1989, I knew lots of people who went out and bought one while they still could, even though they never cared about owning one before.

Subsequent laws passed in California since didn't have near the media coverage as the 1989 law. I think they may have learned their lesson, and not tried to turn their passing into a PR campaign ahead of time. The "safe gun" law was like that. Unless you were active in RKBA stuff, most had no clue what the law was going to do, and how most of the guns it really ended up banning, were quality, safe guns like S&W's, Colt's, Browning's etc. that were just discontinued models, that wouldn't be submitted by the manufacturers for "testing".

PILMAN
October 27, 2008, 04:04 PM
I've been blowing all my money on guns mainly over the election, but I still need more ammo, that's likely going to be banned or hard to come by as well.

Valkman
October 27, 2008, 04:11 PM

shdwfx
October 27, 2008, 04:18 PM

jakemccoy
October 27, 2008, 04:18 PM

mljdeckard
October 27, 2008, 04:24 PM
I have successfully convinced most of my friends and family to buy at least one gun in the last six months. I couldn't afford a major purchase, but I bought a stripped lower.

Don't take it off topic and get it locked.

jakemccoy
October 27, 2008, 04:28 PM

Zoogster
October 27, 2008, 04:48 PM

Seenterman
October 27, 2008, 04:54 PM

1911Tuner
October 27, 2008, 05:00 PM
You'll all notice that a good chunk of this thread disappeared. This was due to the political direction that the discussion and debate was headed. This one was hard to post without engaging in a political debate, I know...but political arguments are best reserved for Armed Polite Society. There is a direct link at the top right hand corner of this page. Go and vent to your heart's content. While we may touch on the political aspects and ramifications of 2A, we may not argue politics.

Now, to the topic:

Oh, yeah. Folks are gonna buy a gun through legal channels so they can go rob banks with'em. Uh-huh. I can see the logic in that.

2. People fearing Obama's potential gun control

I think this is the likely reason that gun and ammo sales are up. I also think they'd be up even if the polls indicated that he was going to lose by a landslide. Maybe not as much...but they'd be up.

camslam
October 27, 2008, 05:10 PM
Are you in fantasy land?

There are a certain number of people that will vote for a particular candidate thinking that he will wave a magic wand and we will suddenly live in "fantasy land".

However, the ugly truth of reality is what the rest of us will be living in.

Buy them deep and stack them deep.

Walkalong
October 27, 2008, 06:26 PM
Vote for the guy who is not severely anti gun. Is that too political? :p

No Fear
October 27, 2008, 06:29 PM
a story on fox that said gun purchases up

1. Tough economic times could cause people to result to crimeMore proof that Faux News is just another anti second amendment "news" outlet :banghead:.

Zoogster
October 27, 2008, 06:32 PM
a story on fox that said gun purchases up

More proof that Faux News is just another anti second amendment "news" outlet .

That may not be an anti statement. I do not know, having not seen the context it was in. It could simply be unclear.

Perhaps they meant criminals will be resorting to crime more in tough economic times, so self defense is more important than ever?

RockyMtnTactical
October 27, 2008, 06:38 PM
My brother in law just called my sister (his wife) and said that they need to get a gun now before Obama gets elected...

I have been working on him for a LONG time. When I first brought it up over a year ago, he was very resistant to getting a firearm. Now, with the economic times we are starting to see and some of the good influence I have been on them, he is coming around.

They are planning on picking up a Glock 26 this week. :)

FourTeeFive
October 27, 2008, 06:41 PM
I would say it is directly related to the world economic recession. We are certainly closer to things falling apart then ever before in our lifetimes.

Seems pretty obvious to me; if it gets ugly, people want to be armed to protect themselves and their loved ones. And hunting is starting to make more sense than ever.

BHP FAN
October 27, 2008, 06:43 PM
For those that reload,BUY PRIMERS....

Mr Crowley
October 27, 2008, 06:44 PM

The context to which I understood it to mean was:
People are buying guns to protect themselves from others who may turn to crime since times are bad.

Dienekes
October 27, 2008, 10:57 PM
"Give me liberty or give me death."

Soon to be "edited for content--Political"?

cowart
October 27, 2008, 11:50 PM
While we may touch on the political aspects and ramifications of 2A, we may not argue politics.
I just now re-read the rules at
http://www.thehighroad.org/code-of-conduct.html and it appears to me that they contain no such prohibition...

MIL-DOT
October 28, 2008, 07:07 PM
The gun-control issue is very much a political issue, AND it's genuinely gun-related. There has to be a way to discuss this honestly and effectively without getting posts or threads deleted. I understand the " no politics" rule, but when a legitimate gun-related topic like gun-control inevitably gets somewhat political, and how can it not,there's got to be some leeway here.
Right ?

FMJMIKE
October 28, 2008, 07:16 PM
I have recently quit several gun forums due to the hateful and racist attitudes of many people there. I would hate to see things get bad here too. I may have to consider making my own gun forum where hate and politics is not allowed. Pity...........:banghead:

U.S.SFC_RET
October 28, 2008, 07:21 PM
cowart

I just now re-read the rules at
http://www.thehighroad.org/code-of-conduct.html and it appears to me that they contain no such prohibition...

There is an intent to be read in the rules. the rules do not have to be to the letter of the law. You can touch on politics but postings get edited if it going to lead into arguing politics.
Like the code of conduct says Thehighroad.org is private property.

Eyesac
October 28, 2008, 08:01 PM
I think it's funny! People buying extra guns because of who they think will be pres...HA! Good for them, I'll take just about any excuse to buy a new gun! :D Makes sense though, if we belived the next president might ban beer, I'd be buying beer by the seavan!

1911Tuner
October 28, 2008, 08:04 PM
The gun-control issue is very much a political issue, AND it's genuinely gun-related.

Agreed. Again...I know it's very hard to talk 2A without getting tangled up in politics...because it's a political hot button. The problem starts when the thread starts to look like a campaign for...(Insert the name of your candidate here)...that it crosses the line. Or, when the argument for or against (Insert name) because of his/her stance on whatever that it gets locked down...hopefully before a valued member violates a hard, fast rule and gets himself/herself warned or banned. That's why I stepped in. First, I tried to steer it back on course, and...failing that...I deleted the posts that appeared to be reaching meltdown BEFORE they forced the staff to act. If that had also failed, I'd have locked it rather than see anybody get booted.

So, ya see...

Wait for it... :rolleyes:

Here it comes... :rolleyes:

I'm from the gub'mint, and I'm only tryin' to help ya.

:D

FMJMIKE
October 28, 2008, 09:16 PM
I humbly suggest the people who do not like government or redistribution of wealth to move to Somalia and see how it works there. :scrutiny:The redistribution of wealth there is done at the end of an AK-47 barrel.

VegasOPM
October 28, 2008, 09:45 PM
I have had several people that I know approach me recently and ask me about firearms in the last few months. I have taken two of them to the range and showed them how to safely handle firearms and shown them different calibrations and mechanisms in the last two weeks. One of them bought a pistol from me, the other is buying a rifle from me. They're both first time gun owners that are concerned about the current economic situation and want some way to protect themselves.

The world is a scary place in the best of times, and right now isn't the best of times.

ndh87
October 28, 2008, 11:48 PM
I've picked up two guns in as many weeks. bought a Glock 23 last week and a Mossberg 590 with a bayonet lug today.

CombatArmsUSAF
October 29, 2008, 12:45 AM
It is extremely sad that the edited number of posts in this thread outnumber the actual posts because of political content. THR is going down the drain.

Until the heavy hand of moderation is lifted, I'll be spending my time over at the true THR, (Oleg's THR) at:

http://www.thehighroad.us/

CRITGIT
October 29, 2008, 12:48 AM
I agree, but do not make decisions out of fear. If you do, then someone else is controlling you. Always take a second to breathe and review the best course of action, if you concur with your fear decision, then do it, but do not be goaded by fear into a position.
Very well put!

CRITGIT

RockyMtnTactical
October 29, 2008, 01:37 AM
Went to the gunstore today actually, was looking for a Glock 26 and they had none. The guy behind the counter said that they have had quite a run in the past couple weeks...

Elmer
October 29, 2008, 03:18 AM
Strangely enough, got a call from my brother in law today, a non-political, non-gun owner. Wanted my advice on buying a gun.

Looks like it's going to be a good year for the gun industry......

I wish more of them would plow some more of their profits back into insuring future business......

JaxNovice
October 29, 2008, 09:23 PM
People must not be buying too many guns since the gun companies are resorting to heavy rebating to dillute inventories.

1911Tuner
October 29, 2008, 09:48 PM
It is extremely sad that the edited number of posts in this thread outnumber the actual posts because of political content. THR is going down the drain.

No. If you'll go back and pull up old posts, you'll see that several have been edited or locked because the topic was drifting into a political slugfest. This is nothing new.

Again, we don't do this because we get our jollies from lording it over anyone. We do it because:

A. It's off-topic, and doesn't appear to be salvageable.

B. It's turned into a political debate instead of a gun-related discussion.

And C...Because we've noticed that a few of the combatants are drawing close to a ban.

We don't like to ban people, especially people who have been good members for months or years...and letting one slip in the heat of the moment get them booted. "A stitch in time" comes to mind. "Putting out fires" also applies.

You'll also notice that I edited the posts with no further action...not even a warning to any of the participants. More than that, I hard deleted them instead of soft deleting so that they couldn't be reviewed by senior admin who could have possibly banned them anyway...and likely would have after I'd stepped in and tried to steer it back on course.

Seems that I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't. Ah, well. Onward...

This is the third time I've tried to make this clear, even though I didn't have to do it even the first time. I won't try again. Either you get it or you don't.

Armed Polite Society is available for such discussions. All ya gotta do is hit the link and go get'em.

Elmer
October 30, 2008, 04:01 AM
1911tuner, I just read your sig, and it made me cry.....

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.
--Your faithful dog

Course, I was sitting here missing my old Lab already......

Sure hope I live my life good enough, that God see's fit to let us be together again someday.....

TedP
October 30, 2008, 10:12 AM
***Post edited, no longer applies to previous posts.***

Sorry about your loss Elmer.

After not buying a gun for 20 years, I am in the market for a couple new ones. The election is just a poorly timed coincidence though.

mbt2001
October 30, 2008, 10:18 AM
My SIL purchased her first gun over the weekend. She comes from a rabidly liberal household... So, I guess there is some psycological need for rebellian, but then again there could be real fear distilling into the sheep.

Walkalong
October 30, 2008, 10:57 AM
you don't litter the board with your nazism. :what: Wow.....

Tuner deleted posts that should have been deleted, including mine. Personally, I was surprised the thread was not locked. At least he gave us a chance to get on track. ;)

Yep, I have bought a couple of guns I might not have, just because. I hear people who aren't really even gun folks talking about " I better get one while I can etc....

Mp7
October 30, 2008, 11:12 AM
one webforum i was using had a "Shark Tank" for posts like the above.....
( the FBI&DEA closed it down, bugger...)

i wasnīt a mod there since the 90īs, and i sure
know a Troll when i sees one :)

Biker
October 30, 2008, 11:17 AM
1911 Tuner is a fair and honest Man and mod. Cut 'im some slack - he's doing what he thinks is best for the forum.

Biker

wbwanzer
October 30, 2008, 11:29 AM
I bought two semi-auto handguns this week in anticipation of greater restrictions.

1911Tuner
October 30, 2008, 12:28 PM
Arcturus is correct. I'm not a good moderator. I've taken flak from the admin and other mods for my failures to document rule violations, preferring instead to handle problems at the lowest possible level rather than pushing the button on people who have been good members up to the point that they crossed the line.

Other than outright trolls or spammers, I probably have fewer than a half-dozen ban notches on my hammer, and about the same number of documented warnings.

I take the flak...not the members...and I'll continue to do the same.

"No, Major! No problem here. Just the lads expressing themselves and having a little fun...sir."

TedP
October 30, 2008, 12:50 PM
I think there was a misunderstanding about my post. I was not putting you down 1911. I was referring to the ridiculous multi-post from a guy who is criticizing you about how to moderate.

I am an administrator of a fairly busy board. I have been accused of being unfair or too strict, but one rule we have is "The enforcement of these rules is at the complete discretion of the Administrators and Moderators of this site and every situation is dealt with strictly on a case-by-case basis."

I feel that this covers the whiners. :)

I don't think you have done anything too strict. You are keeping with the non-political theme of the board but leaving the thread open to continue as best we can.

On topic, I am looking to buy a used 10/22. I'd also like to get a .22 auto pistol and also a larger caliber auto pistol for possibly CCW (and get that license soon).

1911Tuner
October 30, 2008, 01:05 PM
Sorry, Ted. It was a case of mistaken identity. I'll go edit that.

hceptj
October 30, 2008, 01:08 PM
I've been picking up some stuff...mainly because depending on what happens, prices could go up quite a lot.

If prices don't go up, I can still sell anything I've purchased for what I've got in it...:)

TT
October 30, 2008, 01:10 PM

sumiso
October 30, 2008, 01:30 PM
Perhaps they meant criminals will be resorting to crime more in tough economic times, so self defense is more important than ever?

I'm not sure that it is "criminals" who will be resorting to "more crime" that makes self defense so important in this situation. I think rather it is people who may be borderline, trying to make an honest living, but coming up on harder and harder times, who might cross that line for the first time.

Desperation can lead people to take actions they would never consider in better times. More desperate people leads to more people crossing that line, which increases the need for self defense.

RPCVYemen
October 30, 2008, 01:57 PM
In case anyone is interested in the actual facts :) see Eugene Volokh's discussion - he's a law prof libertarian. It turns out

So it's hard to see how this supports the "concerns about the economy" story; there's always some concern about the economy, but I have no reason to think that it somehow dramatically increased in late 2005 or early 2006, and then decreased in 2008 compared to 2007. And I don't see how it supports the "fears of future gun controls" story, especially since you'd think that most of the buying along those lines will happen when the gun controls are actually proposed and working their way through the legislative process, rather than just when a pro-gun-control President might seem likely to be elected. So the Washington Post rationales seem to be supported by the quotes they use from the particular sources they rely on, but not by the hard data.

http://volokh.com/

Mike

DMW
October 31, 2008, 12:38 AM
I'm a relatively new gun owner with a 22 LR pistol.

Tonight I went out and bought a used Beretta 9000S. I did this because a) I think that there will be limitations on gun purchases and ammunition in the near future and b) I am afraid that the current political climate has the potential to get ugly. I live in the distant suburbs of Boston so I really don't have a rational reason to fear "civil unrest" but for some reason I wanted that second gun.

The guys at the gun store told me that they are selling tons of ammunition. Others must feel the same way.

I hope this isn't viewed as political.

Turner, I also like your signature. We've had two collies in the past and really miss them both.

tpaw
October 31, 2008, 01:35 AM
People fearing Obama's potential gun control."

If he outlaws all semi-automatic rifles and pistols, and orders they be turned in, then what? All the money spent goes down the tube. If he does not outlaw all semi-automatic rifles and pistols, then go out and buy one. No money wasted.

tpaw
October 31, 2008, 01:55 AM

I can't agree with the above statement. To a large degree we are controlled, by the pecking order. We have jobs, go to school, have bills to pay, and many other responsibilities. If you take too many days off from work, you fear losing your job. If you don't study for a test, you fear failure, if you don't pay your bills, you fear a foreclosure on your home, having you electric or gas shut off. Fear is most definitely a motivating factor. JMO

MT GUNNY
October 31, 2008, 02:01 AM

Maybe THR should have a Political area!!!!!!

1911Tuner
October 31, 2008, 07:42 AM
Maybe THR should have a Political area!!!!!!

We do. It's called Armed, Polite Society. The link is at the top right of the page...right beside Library and Forum Rules.

gym
October 31, 2008, 11:50 PM
I know I had one incident, and that stoped me from posting for months. Too many guys jumped in way too fast. I noticed that it seems that was around the time being questioned. If someone violates a rule, there is a nice way to handle it, and a not so nice way of handeling it. The intelligent way is to open a section for Rants, everyone has a rant once in a while, no need to lose a valuable member over something that they may not even be aware that they violated. Today I heard about guns on cnbc, I trade equities, for the second time in 1 week. You never hear guns mentioned. Guns on CNBC, Donny Deutsh also mentioned it with Guy and the fast money traders. People are buying guns like never before. When David Faver and Guy Adami, mention that investmant bankers were buying guns, to protect their familys, you can bet it's as real as it gets. If the wheels come off the wagon, it will be quick and devestating, there are yet more shoes to drop. The credit crises hasn't been fully revealed. I am not an alarmist, in actuallity there is very little one can do with a gun unless you plan on shooting people who were your neighboors, and now have no food. it's not a diseased zombie movie. if credit seizes on a global scale, no one really knows what will happen, guns are not going to help unless we are invaded by another country, and if there is no gas or groceries, it's a mute point. But the exploration of such things are good to systemically cleanse ones soul and steady the nerves. It bears no less importance that 'what kind of ammo one should use questions', does this clarify anything, i'm trying, and we are all in this together, pulling together is what seperated our great country from most others. Tolorence should be exercized by both sides. Those members will come back if they have a place to vent, perhaps a section devoted to rants isn't a bad idea. You are going to see a lot of folks loose their jobs, homes, 401k's and other holdings, they need to vent someware. Ford motor company at 2 dollars, GM at 3, it's a serious problem.Soon you will see only 3 or 4 national banks, brokers, airlines, and the two things that create the wealth effect are in jepordy of being lost for many Americans, and that is just wrong. How many would stick to a contract that required them to pay 20-50 % more for their house than it's worth? Not many, and a deal is a deal isn't really fair unless everyone who made the deal, abides by it. But buying more guns, isn't the answer, I would buy more guns for any excuse, but that's all it is.The govt caused this mess, they should be the ones fixing it, not by taking away entitlements to the middle class, but by helping those who did no wrong, not everyone should own a home, that's a Bush policy, not everyone should have a porshe either, the geniuses in washington didn't agree with that live within your means. so I say , they should cut their pay for as long as it takes for the to fix it. If the decide that they don't want to work under those rules, put them in prison. I bet they will work together to solve this mess then.

If you enjoyed reading about "They just ran a story on fox that said gun purchases up" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!