Winchester Pre-64 Model 70 Stock

PDA

DT-10
October 28, 2008, 12:49 AM
I have a pre-64 post war model 70 standard grade in 30-06. Will a .270 stock fit?

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester Pre-64 Model 70 Stock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
shinz
October 28, 2008, 06:20 AM
Yes, on the proviso that it is the same model of Mod 70, ie with same barrel weight, I'm no Mod 70 expert & not sure when Featherweights were introduced but, a standard weight barrel in 270 is the same profile as 30-06 AFAIK.
Steve

dogrunner
October 29, 2008, 01:05 PM
Yes. I have the same setup. My five digit M/70 '06 was mfgd in '47, I bought it used and in good condition......unfortunately that was prior to a three year stint in Alaska where a caribou I'd shot and was dragging down a hill got going faster than I could.....split the stock in a virtually unrepairable manner at the grip.

I pieced it back together but got a chance to pick up a .270 stock from a friend....Had to do a bit of inletting for the bbl, but the action was a 'drop' in.

Only gripe I have ever had about it is that the original was a straight comb and the replacement is the abbreviated 'monte carlo' style....

I'd definately fit it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester Pre-64 Model 70 Stock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!