.308 Enfield Woes

PDA

50caliber123
October 28, 2008, 11:20 AM
So I finally got around to ordering the ATI stock for my Ishy jungle carbine (I know, not a real carbine, cut down by Navy Arms) and installing it. It looked so cool, the scariest bolt-action rifle I had ever seen. The cool factor wore off when I got to the range and started shooting it. The ATI stock fits my shoulder better than the original wood one, but the poi had changed. Instead of rounds going intot he center of the target at 50 yards like it used to, the rounds go 6" high. The gun is so light without the wood stock, that while using a harris bipod, the gun easily jumps around on the bench. I stopped shooting and started talking to this fellow the next bench over, also shooting an enfield. He told me that there is a reason all the old military guns are wrapped in wood. That it fixes the barrel to fire in a certain way. The new stock, he said, allowed the barrel to free-float, and the only answer would be to glass-bed the stock. I like the new stock, and it seems to consistantly put rounds in the same spot, just six inches high. The sights are as low they go, so I don't know what to do. For now, the rifle sits in its original stock. I must admit I am pretty bummed and am looking for advice. Was the guy at the range right? Is there a way I could bring the group down withou scoping it? Thanks, I am hoping to use this rifle for deer season, and appreciate any advice I can get.

If you enjoyed reading about ".308 Enfield Woes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SlamFire1
October 28, 2008, 11:32 AM
seems to consistantly put rounds in the same spot, just six inches high. The sights are as low they go, so I don't know what to do. For now, the rifle sits in its original stock

6" high at 50 yards is very high. I doubt the British ever made a front sight tall enough to compensate for this sort of elevation error.

He told me that there is a reason all the old military guns are wrapped in wood. That it fixes the barrel to fire in a certain way.

Perhaps the quote is garbled. Military rifles are wrapped in wood to protect the rifle, and to protect the shooter from a hot barrel. You don't want to burn your hand while bayoneting someone. Very uncomfortable.

What is true, changing the action/barrel bedding always (well mostly always) changes something. In your case, the point of impact changed.

Blindly bedding the action in the new stock will change the POI again, but not necessarily bring the point of impact to point of aim.

I don't know what your new stock looks like, but try adding paper shims between the barrel and forearm and see if that changes the POI. If it does, experiment on location and tension. Then, if it works out, you have options.

Claude Clay
October 28, 2008, 11:36 AM
have you been using a sling? wrapped around your wrist and pulled tight to your shoulder may help. if you reload you can play from 130 to 220 grains. lighter/faster often prints lower. could also help.

Andrew Wyatt
October 28, 2008, 11:39 AM
you don't need to glass bed the stock, you need a taller front sight.

you can order a number4mk1(which is what the jungle carbine flash hider uses.) sight from Numrich, or you can add material to the front you have by welding or silver soldering.

Can you measure the distance between the front sight and the rear sight? with that information and the information you already gave, i can show you how to figure out how much taller a sight you need.

Also, try shooting it without the bi pod off of a pack or other rest that is not attached to the gun.

gb6491
October 28, 2008, 11:42 AM
Is the ATI stock actually allowing the barrel to "free float"? How does it shoot if you leave the barrel band and top piece off the original stock?
It's conceivable that the new stock rather than "free floating" is actually putting pressure on the barrel at some point making it shoot high.
Regards,
Greg

NCsmitty
October 28, 2008, 04:23 PM
My thoughts exactly gb6491, it might be too much upward pressure on the barrel.

NCsmitty

50caliber123
October 28, 2008, 05:00 PM
I guess pressure being put on the stock could be the culprit. The stock at first did not want to go together. I had to scre in the rear part of the trigger roup, then the screw by the magwell. Then the screw down towards the end of the stock. There was no other way to assemble it, or it wouldn't go together. Has anybody had to file the ATI stock to get it to fit right? I can't be the only one to have these issues.

1KPerDay
October 28, 2008, 05:03 PM
it might be too much upward pressure on the barrel.

Or it might be that the new barrel lacks the original downward pressure exerted by having it screwed/strapped into the full-length stock and endcap.

If you enjoyed reading about ".308 Enfield Woes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!