Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm

PDA

gypseylee2
October 28, 2008, 03:25 PM
I was wondering has anyone else had problems with Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm's rusting on the slide/ magazines rusting too? Also firing pins going bad, springs breaking and last but not least at a match this past weekend my barrel cracked at the seam, when I fired the gun the gas blew the whole top of my slide off the gun. 2 months ago I sent this gun back to the manufacturer, the spring was replaced and the firing pin also. This gun was purchased less than a year ago.

If you enjoyed reading about "Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Marcus L.
October 28, 2008, 03:33 PM
Hrmm, got any pictures of it?

gypseylee2
October 28, 2008, 03:37 PM
I just took it back to where I purchased it. Smith and Wesson is sending a packing slip for it tomorrow, I did not take a picture of it, maybe I should still. Someone at the match did take a picture of it though.

Marcus L.
October 28, 2008, 03:43 PM
Personally I've never heard of such a wide variety of problems from a single user. Did you have any custom work done on it or alterations? What are you firing out of it? Lots of reloads?

gypseylee2
October 28, 2008, 03:50 PM
This gun has never had a reload go through it only factory ammo. I do shoot a lot and may have 30,000 rounds through the gun.

gypseylee2
October 28, 2008, 03:52 PM
No custom work on it either. It has been used straight from the manufacturer.

22lr
October 28, 2008, 03:56 PM
Lemons happen, However S&W has won me as a life long fan and dedicated user by putting out quality. My guess is that you might have got a lemon. However rust is always preventable.

dpart77
October 28, 2008, 05:45 PM
Thousands of rounds through mine and no problems. Well it did have one light strike last IPSC match.... thats all though.

Sounds like you got a lemon.

What barrel seam are you referring to? With that much damage I would assume you got a double charge. It can and does happen in factory ammo.

gypseylee2
October 29, 2008, 08:25 AM
I do want to say that I am a big fan of S&W M&P 9mm. I own 3 full-size and a compact carry gun. Out of the 4, I've had problems with 2. S&W has always repaired them readily. To dpart: the barrel separated at the seam, closest to where you can read 9mm from the outside of the gun (looking from the top)

If you enjoyed reading about "Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!