December 31, 1969

PDA

ed dixon
January 15, 2003, 01:08 AM
I was checking a few member profiles while reading through some posts in the General Forum and came across this date listed as the birthdate for at least three of the handful I looked at. These included a couple who were retired. Not sure if this means anything much, but if it's a glitch or a sign of a problem thought you folks would want to know.

Just checked. It's now my birthday too!

If you enjoyed reading about "December 31, 1969" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mike Irwin
January 15, 2003, 02:42 PM
That might be a system default that got set somehow.

Mine is listed as it should be.

Mal H
January 15, 2003, 03:09 PM
Nope, it's a bug. If the year is entered and the date is prior to Jan 1, 1970, the birthdate is always shown as December 31, 1969. I checked a few of the actual dates stored in the DB and they are correct. The problem appears only when the date is formatted and displayed in the profile. Otherwise, there wouldn't be any members shown in the "Today's birthdays" list older than around 32.

We're looking into the problem, but it is low on the priority totem pole.

For you computer geeks, what is significant about Jan 1, 1970?

triggertime
January 15, 2003, 04:53 PM
"For you computer geeks, what is significant about Jan 1, 1970?"

Jan 1, 1970 is the 'Unix Epoch'. :neener:

Mal H
January 15, 2003, 05:04 PM
Bingo!

We have a winner! No more calls please.

Now tell him what he's won, Johnny ....

Uh, gosh Alex, we don't have anything for him.

Well then, there you have it! And thanks for playing! :D

tyme
January 16, 2003, 11:54 AM
Well, for those who care about knowing other people's ages, it's fixed now.

Some brokenness with the new php I presume.

ed dixon
January 16, 2003, 04:42 PM
Personally, I wasn't particularly concerned about ages, but thought this might be a sign of some bigger problem like a virus. Don't know much about computers, guess I was being paranoid. Very rare in these parts.

tyme
January 16, 2003, 04:53 PM
Paranoid? Isn't that something to do with physics? :rolleyes:

mjustice
January 16, 2003, 05:01 PM
For you computer geeks, what is significant about Jan 1, 1970?

Many computer clocks/timers record time as a measure of how many seconds have elapsed since Jan 1 1970. This includes time functions written in C or C++. Assuming you count in seconds, a 32 bit signed integer can count from 1/1/70 to 1/18/2038 until sometime after 7 PM :) You should be able to count backward by using a negative number.

MJ

Mal H
January 16, 2003, 06:40 PM
Exactly right, mjustice. That is what I had in mind since the pivotal date in the birthdate bug was 1/1/70. "Unix epoch" is the official name for that date.

Blackhawk
January 20, 2003, 12:21 PM
"Unix epoch"

I'm always amazed at the strange and useful things I learn here.

I use the "date" all the time, but never knew the origin of it.

If you enjoyed reading about "December 31, 1969" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!