To shoot a pig...

PDA

cbrgator
October 29, 2008, 12:54 AM
If my 30-06 is zeroed at 100 yds and I was going to shoot a pig at much closer range, say 30-40 yds... I am assuming my POI would be below my line of sight. Is that correct? What is the differences in inches between the line of sight and the POI at that distance? Is it something I need to compensate for or should I not even worry about it because the vitals are big enough that it doesn't matter.

If you enjoyed reading about "To shoot a pig..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nathan
October 29, 2008, 01:23 AM
yeah the bullet is still rising in its flight path. could be 1.5 inch below POA.

ants
October 29, 2008, 02:04 AM
It also depends greatly upon your sights.

Iron sights are generally a half an inch above bore line, so compensation is minimal.

But your scope is mounted up higher. How high depends upon your scope mount and rings. Go check the difference between the centerline of the scope and the centerline of the bore.

Of course, you could just go out and shoot at a target at 40 yards. Then you'll know for sure.

qajaq59
October 29, 2008, 05:53 AM
Do yourself a favor. Take the ammo you're going to use for hunting and go to the range and shoot it at different distances. Then you'll know 100% where it is going to go. By the way, if you can shoot them just behind the ear they will drop like a rock.

cbrgator
October 29, 2008, 08:21 AM
Is it better to aim for behind the ear or above the front leg?

rb85cj7
October 29, 2008, 08:53 AM
i would aim for the ear hole. all of a pigs major organs are a lot lower than in a deer. if anything aim low right behind the front leg. preferably when the pig takes a step forward.

H&Hhunter
October 29, 2008, 12:46 PM
All right I just have to chime in here. If your rifle is sighted in at 100 yards it will be so close to point of aim at 20-40 that you will never know the difference. Aim where you want to hit and pull the trigger. If you try to hold under by an inch you are going to miss guaranteed. It is just to much to think about and an inch difference in POI is absolutely inconsequential. Jeff Cooper used to call this preoccupation with inconsequential increments.

Bullets do not "rise" in their flight path. A bullet starts to drop the instant it leaves the bore and is introduced to the effects of gravity. Basic physics proclaim this to be true. The reason that a bullet appears to rise is that you have adjusted your scope to make you hold a slight inclination on your barrel. All of the rise that you get is from you holding the barrel at slight up angle which lofts the bullet upward initially. This is a very common misconception with shooters. I am sure nathan knows this I am just clarifying the terms here for explanation purposes.:)

Shoulder shots are the preferred shot on a non stationary hog especially with an offhand shot. It simply gives you much more margin of error because the target is much larger. If you've got a solid rest and plenty of time I still use a shoulder shot as I've seen far to many wounded hog with attempted neck shots.

Cypress
October 29, 2008, 08:51 PM
Definately take the shoulder shot. Center up on the shoulder and you'll get shoulder,spine, and vitals. I wish I had a nickel for every behind the ear shot that was muffed. Screw up the head shot and you have inflicted a very nasty wound to live with and the pig is that much smarter for your efforts.

cliffy
October 29, 2008, 09:01 PM
Busting a bullet through the lower shoulder will hit a pig's vitals. Shooting just behind a pig's shoulder will hit stomach. They are physically different than deer. cliffy

snow
October 29, 2008, 09:02 PM
H&H I am not doubting you, I have just never heard of this before. I personally had a 17 HMR and it appeared to shoot about 3-4 inches high of point of aim at under 50 yards. Maybe it was warped barrel since I got it from WalMart. Nevertheless I sold the gun and never looked back. I own a 22Lr in its place and don't seem to have the trouble regardless of 100 yards or more or less. Can you give some back up data to support your statement please?

H&Hhunter
October 30, 2008, 12:10 AM
H&H I am not doubting you, I have just never heard of this before. I personally had a 17 HMR and it appeared to shoot about 3-4 inches high of point of aim at under 50 yards. Maybe it was warped barrel since I got it from WalMart. Nevertheless I sold the gun and never looked back.

The reason your HMR was 3 to 4 inches high at 50 yards was becuase either your sights were screwed up I.E. too short of a front sight or your scope was mounted incorrectly or it was messed up. But the physical fact is that there is no escaping gravity on this planet. The second a bullet leaves the muzzle gravity starts to take effect.

Here is one to tickle your brain. If you drop a bullet from say 4 feet above the ground and fire that same bullet from four feet above the ground in a straight line with no barrel elevation guess which one hits the ground first.

They both hit the ground at the exact same time. Gravity pulls down ward on both bullets at 9.8 meters per second squared whether it is traveling forward at 3000 FPS or it is dropped from your hand.

So lets break this down in simple terms.

The equation for figuring projectile motion is with regard to gravity is;

s(t)=-.5(gt2)+vt+Initial height.

or

s is position t is time g is gravity v is initial vertical velocity.

If you do the math this tells us that it will take your bullet .494 second to fall 4 feet.

So if we drop a bullet from our hand 4 feet above the ground it takes .494 seconds to fall straight to the ground.

If you shoot it from a gun that is level 4 feet above the ground it also takes .494 seconds for the bullet to hit the ground the difference being that at 3000 FPS the bullet has moved forward....3000X.494=1484feet before it hit the ground.

This of course is not taking aerodynamic drag and deceleration into effect which would be variable as to your ballistic coefficient, bullet weight, elevation above sea level, temperature, relative humidity, density altitude and several other factors. So the actual number of feet traveled forward would be somewhat less than what we calculated.

The sites below do a pretty good job of explaining this.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/bullet_trajectory.htm

http://www.cs.utah.edu/~zachary/isp/applets/Cannon/Cannon.html

cbrgator
October 30, 2008, 12:19 AM
Nobody is doubting the physics of a bullet...Of course gravity acts on it immediately. But like you said before, we angle the gun slightly upwards in order to counteract this force. I don't think anybody is refuting the physics of it. But the fact is, bullets DO rise because of this angle in relation to the ground hence the arc-shaped trajectory, but they begin to fall immediately in relation to the plane of the barrel angle when fired.

My question was a POI question which you did answer for me and I thank you, but you are getting carried away with the physics. :)

35 Whelen
October 30, 2008, 08:04 AM
Shoot the hog behind the shoulder and don't worry about it. Everyone I've killed over the last 20 years was virtually identical to a deer regarding position of their vital organs. In fact, when I gutted my boar last year, and began my cut just ahead of his pecker...oops...I mean penis, I nicked his stomach.:banghead: I try to discourage people from taking head shots. There's just too much chance of muffing the shot and blowing a jaw of.
Unless you have one of those ginormous scopes that has to be mounted really high above the action, don't worry about bullet impact.
35W

mbt2001
October 30, 2008, 09:50 AM
Aim directly behind the ear. If the hog is moving or you don't have a shot in the ear, the hogs heart is directly above leg. As you can see from the picture. Use the EAR and LEG as guide posts for vitals and no matter what shot you have and take it should be a good one!

I try to live by a code. Part of that code is NEVER EVER EVER GUT SHOOT A HOG. That is why I prefer neck / cord shots / shots behind the ear. The smell. You don't ever want to know that smell.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f76/johnnyfire/feralhog1.jpg

http://img23.photobucket.com/albums/v68/bobcat50/Hog_Vitals.jpg

H&Hhunter
October 30, 2008, 10:45 AM
My question was a POI question which you did answer for me and I thank you, but you are getting carried away with the physics. :)

cbrgator,

Sorry dude I was trying answer snows question.;)

Cypress
October 30, 2008, 01:15 PM
Anyone notice the difference in spine location on those two diagrams. The bottom one is way off in the neck and shoulder area.

If you enjoyed reading about "To shoot a pig..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!