Operator error?

PDA

mficken
October 29, 2008, 11:32 AM
So I picked up an Ed Brown .45 1911 and a Springfield XD 9mm from a friend (he got flagged for IA to IZ and needed a new home for em). They have been shot maybe 100 times. So Doug and I (different from the seller) went to the range to give em a shot. I took the 1911 and my first 3 shots were touching and the last 2 were right where I put them (one I pushed some and the other was low to the left (I think I have a problem with tightening my fingers)) this was at 15 yards. Doug had the XD and was all over the target. When we switched we ran into the same issues, the 1911 shot better than we did and the XD was all over the target. I am assuming this is operator error, but I was running into problems with the XD, it was jamming. It wasnít stove piping but it was misfeeding and sometimes it was catching brass in the slide. We tried 3 mags and all 3 were giving the same result (unfortunately Doug was not paying as close attention to problems he was just happy to shoot). I suppose I need to clean it and try again. The action shows 9X19 but I was provided with 9mm luger rounds and the gun store told me they donít carry 9X19 but I am supposed to use a 9mm luger bullet? I am apprehensive since I donít have a vast knowledge of the handgun world, but I know .308 is not the exact same as 7.62X51, is it one of these dilemmas?

If you enjoyed reading about "Operator error?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Lone Haranguer
October 29, 2008, 11:42 AM
9 x 19 is a mostly European designation for the 9mm Luger, as it is usually called here. ("9mm Parabellum" is yet another name, again mostly in Europe.) They are most assuredly all the same cartridge.

An Ed Brown 1911 has a light, crisp trigger with very little travel and reset distance. Its slimmer grip may also fit your hand better. This is probably accounting for your tighter groupings with it. It is hard to say if the XD's stoppages and relative inaccuracy are weapon- or shooter-induced.

If you enjoyed reading about "Operator error?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!