Glock recoil spring.

PDA

emilianoksa
November 1, 2008, 12:25 PM
Iīve been looking into the D0s and DONīTs of Glock cleaning, and watching some videos on youtube.

I have always understood that the recoil spring should not be lubricated, but there are people out there who leave a very thin film of oil on it.

What do you reckon?

Iīve also noticed people letting the slide slam back onto an unloaded chamber, instead of easing it back gently, during the reassembly process. Isnīt this something to be avoided with an unloaded gun?

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock recoil spring." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rtn
November 1, 2008, 02:45 PM
Don't oil the recoil spring assembly. It does not need it.

Also, it does the pistol no good to let the upper slam into the receiver like that. I ease it down on an empty chamber, Glock, Kimber, whatever. I don't know why people let it slam like that...maybe they think it looks cool. Who knows.

The Lone Haranguer
November 1, 2008, 03:48 PM
The recoil spring and guide rod are not a friction- or load-bearing point on the gun. They do not need any lubrication.

Slamming a slide home at full spring pressure on an empty chamber may cause wear, battering or peening eventually. It would still take hundreds, perhaps thousands of times to do it. You have way too much time on your hands if you're dropping your slide thousands of times. :uhoh::neener: Dropping the slide is in fact a legitimate function check for "hammer follow," but this does not apply to a Glock or other striker-fired pistol.

possum
November 1, 2008, 05:58 PM
i don't lube my recoil spring at all. and i don't let let they slide slam foward either, i ease it down.

emilianoksa
November 1, 2008, 05:59 PM
Many thanks, Gents.:)

Wolfgang
November 1, 2008, 08:09 PM
slam the slide on a glock, but never on a 1911

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock recoil spring." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!