How many guns do you bring to the range?

PDA

Ridgeway
September 15, 2003, 07:51 PM
As it seems many members here own a plethora of guns, how many do most people take with them to the range?

If you enjoyed reading about "How many guns do you bring to the range?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Chupacabra
September 15, 2003, 07:56 PM
I'll usually bring both my guns. :D

If I had more I probably wouldn't take more than three or four. Cleaning can be time consuming!

4v50 Gary
September 15, 2003, 08:03 PM
My tolerance for cleaning guns is about two. Sometimes I'll pummel myself and bring three, but that's rare. Now, about two months ago I went to the range with just one rifle and wound up cleaning three. My buddy was either slow & clumsy or darn clever in tricking me to clean two of his.

Schuey2002
September 15, 2003, 08:05 PM
I usually bring two ( one H&K rifle and one handgun).

Ala Dan
September 15, 2003, 08:32 PM
Greeting's All-

I voted 1-3, cuz there is no need to bring any more
than I'm going to shoot!:uhoh: :rolleyes: :D

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Damnathius
September 15, 2003, 08:33 PM
Between the wife and I, probably 10. You can never have too many guns to shoot!

Regards,

Dave

Bowlcut
September 15, 2003, 08:37 PM
I was dragging all my guns to the range for a while...then again that total was like 3. But now I bring maybe one of each type. A long rifle, shotty, and a pistol. Im just getting tired of dragging them all to and from the cars. Cleaning...that too :D

bpisler
September 15, 2003, 08:42 PM
I take 3-5 depending on what i need to do,my wife will be shooting 2 of them.If i have a new semi auto i might only shoot it but i'll put 250-400 rounds down range.

Standing Wolf
September 15, 2003, 09:50 PM
I always take my carry gun. I sometimes take two to shoot, but often shoot just one: guns take forever and a Sunday afternoon to clean.

P95Carry
September 15, 2003, 10:10 PM
I'm pretty much 3-6 .... but as Standing Wolf comments ...... carry piece will always be there .... and probably first in the queue for ''excercize''!!

Cleaning is of course a downside but .. because a range trip necessitates some prep'ing of gear and some driving .... then when there, set up targets etc ... always seems worth taking enough to justify the visit.

Invariably the trusty Marlin 60 goes for the ride - every time, simply cos even at end of session .. a good plink with a .22 is a great way to ''wind down''

usually too .... there is at least one gun that needs sighted or checked for function, plus often, some new loads that need evaluated.

Last visit was ........ lemme see ........ hmmm ..... that was when I took my daughter and her old man along ..... so took ......

M27-2
Super Redhawk
SKS
P97 (winter carry)
Snubby (summer carry)
.454 casull (just for kicks ... pun there!! :D :D )
Ruger 22/45
Oh and of course, the Marlin.

Oops, that was eight ..... oh well ... special trip!!

Just for my own nostalgia as much as anything .. here she is, doing great things with the P97 ...... and that too after no shooting for a whole year since her last visit!!!

http://www.patriotnetwork.net/cb_gun/p&a_shoot_03_s.jpg

Stevie-Ray
September 15, 2003, 10:19 PM
3 main carries. Sometimes an extra "fun" gun.

MagKnightX
September 15, 2003, 10:22 PM
Me, my father, and my brother always go to the range together, so about 5 or 6.

BHPshooter
September 15, 2003, 10:42 PM
Well, I only own 2 guns, so that's not a huge decision on my part. I have a Mossberg 12-guage that I haven't shot for ages, and my Browning HP 9mm. The Browning is all that I've shot in the last while, so I guess my answer would be 1.

Wes

Lancel
September 15, 2003, 10:57 PM
I try to keep it at three:

One to test - loads, sights, stock, somethin'.
One to practise with - usually my carry weapon.
One for fun/familiarization.

If I need to work with more than three, I'll usually resked another day.

Larry

dleong
September 15, 2003, 10:59 PM
Two firearms usually, three if I feel like blowing away the weekend cleaning guns.

DL

OEF_VET
September 15, 2003, 11:10 PM
11+ for me. I don't get too many chances to go, so when I do, I make it worth it. This past weekend, I brought 2 shotguns, 5 rifles, and 5 handguns.

lee n. field
September 15, 2003, 11:36 PM
1 or 2. If I bring more than that, I generally end up bringing _way_ too many.

TechBrute
September 15, 2003, 11:39 PM
Depends...

By myself, it's usually around 3.

If I'm introducing a new shooter, I've been known to fill the bulletproof suburban to capacity so they'll have planty to choose from. :D

nuby
September 15, 2003, 11:54 PM
If I go alone I bring my 2.
If I go with my brothers we will have around 5 to 8 between 2 to 3 of us.

hansolo
September 16, 2003, 01:44 AM
One longun(SKS, Win. '94, Win. M69A 22.LR) and one handgun(CZ 75B, S&W 910s, S&W M/P .38). I like variety, but my obsession for cleaning limits the number I want to work on.:what:

Skunkabilly
September 16, 2003, 02:15 AM
Bare minimum of two guns (so I don't have to go home if one goes TU) to all four guns.

Chuck Dye
September 16, 2003, 02:56 AM
My primary range is eight steps from the gunsafe in the livingroom, so I usually have all of my guns at the range. On those occasions I go to my friends, the shotguns generally stay behind, so 8 of 10 go.

Amegatek
September 16, 2003, 04:30 AM
Mostly I take both my pistols. Occasionally, I will only take one. Depends on the mood I'm in. :)

sm
September 16, 2003, 04:47 AM
Always CCW(s) meaning at least one if not both.

At this time shooting and training time severly hampered due to schedule...but since I shoot on property of good friend/gunsmith usually something else I can play with if want to...

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
September 16, 2003, 05:03 AM
I always bring my CCW piece; occasionally I'll bring a second ancilarry handgun that may carry as a CCW from infreqent time to time. I usually also bring either a target .22 bolt rifle or my AR depending on my need for range therapy.

Regards,
Rabbit.

Feral_Goz
September 16, 2003, 05:21 AM
When I go to the out door range with my brother in law, we take the following.

22LR
.30-30
.303 British * 2
22Mag
12guage

We are looking into trying out the pistol range, so that will add 22LR *2, a 9mm and a 357 Mag

And "enough" ammo. Takes us almost as long to unload and then reload the car, as it does to do the shooting.

It has turned into an all day effort now, so that must be good...right?

We spend the night before cranking out ammo to make sure we have enough to keep us occupied for the day. When one gun heats up too much, we switch to the next one in line.

Last time we went out we had HV 12guage ammo...only got through half the case before the shoulder surrendered. Must remember to buy low recoil next time.......

TechBrute
September 16, 2003, 05:45 AM
Bare minimum of two guns (so I don't have to go home if one goes TU) Which seems to happen to Skunk more than it should...

JeepDriver
September 16, 2003, 09:43 AM
I vote 1-3

I grab 2 and toss them in my range bag most of the time. Usually 2 of my 9mm's or 1 9mm and 1 .357 Mag .

There are exceptions to that rule. When I go to the cabin I fall into the 11+ catagory. :D

Black Snowman
September 16, 2003, 09:49 AM
Pistol it's more than rifle. I usually take every pistol I have ammo for because I don't get to the range that often. That usually comes out to be 3-5. Rifles I don't have as many and usually have a purpose so I don't take as many, usually 2.

Daedalus
September 16, 2003, 10:18 AM
My most local rifle range is a 40 minute drive, so bringing less than 3 guns and 2 friends seems to be a waste.

Mike Irwin
September 16, 2003, 10:26 AM
Normaly 6 to 8.

But if I'm showing a newbie the ropes, or I'm going to a THR gathering, I'll bring as many as 15.

FireInTheHole
September 16, 2003, 10:40 AM
Depends on the time of year really. During summer guns (handguns in particular) can become really hot. So I offset this by bringing a couple more guns for rotation. Come winter I usually just bring a pistol, rifle, and shotgun (for trap).

Zach S
September 16, 2003, 10:55 AM
Normally two. Sometimes one, sometimes three. I dont have a rangebag, if I did, I'd stuff it full of guns and ammo and one of my expensive habits would just cost me more.

edit: grrr, typos...

Skunkabilly
September 16, 2003, 11:13 AM
Which seems to happen to Skunk more than it should...

Techbrute, I don't think I ever had a pistol go TU at the range. More like I forgot to bring a magazine or ammo for it :o

Smoke
September 16, 2003, 11:22 AM
Since all my vehicles have a dedicated .22 pistol, and since I usually take the pickup which has a dedicated shotgun and rifle. That accounts for 3.

I almost always take 3 .45's just to play with, make sure they work, loan out. Thats 6.

I usually take one of my bird guns to bust a few clays and a rifle or two, might only make sure the scope is still on a nd put it up. thats 8-9.

If more people are coming I'll bring more guns.

I may not shoot all I bring. But if I'm there and the mood hits I like to be equipped for whatever whim comes over me.:)

cool45auto
September 16, 2003, 11:26 AM
Always my carry gun, my Neos target pistol for some cheap fun and at least one of my old battle rifles.

reptiman
September 16, 2003, 11:41 AM
I usually bring 3 for myself...pistol, black rifle, and my 10/22. I usually bring a few more if I am going with someone new to shooting so that they have a variety to choose from.

Kenneth Lew
September 16, 2003, 02:14 PM
Whatever then amount the gun bag will hold, I want to have a hand free just in case.

Ever had someone steal your stuff before?

Kenneth Lew

Missouri Mule
September 16, 2003, 02:33 PM
At least 2.
One is always cocked and locked on my hip.

sm
September 16, 2003, 02:44 PM
One is always cocked and locked on my hip.
Excellent Point !

There is an old thread on TFL .... basically since one never knows the when and where...does one carry while shooting...

That's why for me its a given there is a sidearm even while shooting. Granted a bit easier to do when on private property...still ya never know...

TonyB
September 16, 2003, 02:55 PM
I now have only 3 handguns...so I veted 1-3......otherwise I'd be bringing my long guns......too much cleaning afterward>.....:cool:

DMK
September 16, 2003, 04:15 PM
I used to bring two long guns in a double hard case and open carry a pistol on my belt. Then I got more into rifles so I got a second hard case to bring three long guns and was not shooting the pistol so much.

Now I'm back into pistols again so I'm bringing three long guns, a pistol on my belt, one in the range bag, a spotting scope and a heavy canvas bag full of ammo.

It takes me anywhere from 2.5 to 3.5 hours to clean all this stuff, another 30 minutes to put it all away and I'm starting to consider buying something larger than a Jeep Wrangler to drive to the range. Boy, these hobbies snowball. :rolleyes:

Edward429451
September 16, 2003, 05:00 PM
Mmm, 4 to 6. Three mimimum, Rifle, CCW, and a 10/22 for while the rifle cools, more if testing loads or new weapons etc..Sometimes it SG day too.

I dont bring everything if a newbie go's with. Too much to keep track of at once, and leaves nothing to entice them back with! And yes, I have been stolen from at the range before. No guns, just a mag.

Hand_Rifle_Guy
September 16, 2003, 07:13 PM
IU can't actually think of the last time it was less than 8, and 12 is a lot more typical.

When I actuall OWNED 8 or less, it was usually all of them, always.

If you enjoyed reading about "How many guns do you bring to the range?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!