Just bought a Kimber Custom II.....

PDA

briney11
November 2, 2008, 09:54 AM
I went to the local gun show with hopes of buying an XD .45 and ended up being talked into a 1911 by my cousin. Looked at a really nice Para, a couple of nice Springfields, and the came upon this Kimber. It was listed at $630 NIB so I snatched it up. We went out and put about 100rds through her and I am in love. In fact I am getting rid of my Glock 23 and Beretta 92f (see the for sale board) to support my new Kimber habit.

My question would be is there any issues with the Custom II that I should be looking for? Any bad things that may happen?

Thanks,

Justin

If you enjoyed reading about "Just bought a Kimber Custom II....." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jmr40
November 2, 2008, 10:19 AM
I've had mine for 5 years now with no issues. Mine is the most accurate 1911 I own. There are a few vocal people who have horror stories about Kimbers. I do not doubt them, but most Kimbers do fine and the lower priced versions line mine and yours seem to get the least complaints about problems.

david_the_greek
November 2, 2008, 10:38 AM
I also have a kimber II series 1911. My father had an incredibly nice series I kimber. It was a great firearm. The series II have MIM parts (metal injected molding? or something like that). The criticism is that these parts can and will fail prematurely. Some people I guess have gotten some pretty bad pistols or have had MIM parts break pretty quick. My series II has been perfect. Not one malfunction, not one parts breakage. I've done a few "torture test" type days with the 1911 and have yet to have anything go wrong. I find the 1911 to be the easiest pistol to be accurate with. ENJOY!

Rob G
November 2, 2008, 10:44 AM
I bought a Kimber Custom II last year and have had nothing but good experiences with it. It's been the most accurate out of box pistol I've owned and also 100% reliable.

As for known problems I can't think of any that I've ever heard of before except for a problem with external extractors which your gun doesn't have. Other than that problems are on a pistol by pistol basis. So enjoy your new addiction.

The Bushmaster
November 2, 2008, 11:29 AM
Some Kimbers have a problem with the slide locking back when there is still rounds in the magazine. But a call to kimber rectifies that. They will send you a brand new redesigned slide stop.

mljdeckard
November 2, 2008, 01:17 PM
I have a Custom II for which I paid $630, NIB, several years ago. I added Hogue finger grips, Trijicon sights, and I dropped the full-length guide rod. Between the gun and a Ciener conversion kit, I've shot nearly 10,000 rounds through it.

If MIM parts are doomed to fail, all mine must be defective indeed. No problems of any kind. It likes all magazines except a few old GI ones I had lying around. I haven't tried a wide variety of ammo, it's been mostly WWB, Hydra Shoks and HSTs. The failures have been so rare I can't remember the last one. I use this gun for everything, if my command would allow it, I would carry it to war tomorrow.

The Bushmaster
November 2, 2008, 02:27 PM
"...if my command would allow it,"

Reminds me of my brother when he was in Viet Nam. He had one of the early M-16's and hated it. While on patrol he shot a cong who was carrying a Thompson. He distroyed his M-16 and took control of the Thompson and several magazines. In those days .45 ACP was plentiful. He said it wasn't all that accurate, but it sure could mow down the jungle...

I agree. If I were still in the military I would feel well armed with my Kimber UCC II. Even if it only has a 3" barrel. And you are correct. I've had a 14 round single stack 1911 magazine loaded in mine with no problems except it stuck out quite a bit...

Kruzr
November 2, 2008, 03:20 PM
My father had an incredibly nice series I kimber. It was a great firearm. The series II have MIM parts (metal injected molding? or something like that)
Except for two safety parts, your father's gun has the same amount of MIM parts as the Series II guns.

schmeky
November 2, 2008, 08:15 PM
I have an early model Kimber Classic Custom, probably approaching 15+ years old. I have fired thousands and thousands of rounds through this pistol. Still has all the MIM parts in it. Not one problem. Ever. On a good day with a rest, it can do 1.5" at 25 yards.

I shot it today as a matter of fact.

blarney
November 2, 2008, 08:35 PM
I had a Kimber custom Carry series. Never had a problem with it whatsoever. I recently sold it and got about the same as what I had into it. It was a great gun but I needed the money more. I will purchase anohter one as soon as things loosen up a little.

marriedguy1
November 2, 2008, 08:40 PM
I have 3 Kimbers now but had a Custom II for about 6 months last year. Nothing wrong with the gun it shot great and I sold it on this board to a member. I used that money to buy a new shotgun which was what I wanted at the time. I have no complaints except that 1911s of all manufacturers will multiply. I have a Colt, a Springer, and and RIA. I enjoy them all and shoot them as much as I can afford. I have had no breakage of MIM parts or any other problems with any of my 1911s. I must have gotten bad ones.

If you enjoyed reading about "Just bought a Kimber Custom II....." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!