World's Funniest Fake Soldiers...

PDA

effengee
November 2, 2008, 06:52 PM
I've read several posts here and on other forums about those scum of humanity, those useless grubs that claim to be ex-military spec-ops...
I was wondering how many here have outed one of these idiots due to their total lack of firearms knowledge. Please share...

My personal favorite was when a guy tried to convince me and some friends he was a Marine sniper in Iraq and how he had killed two Iraqi's with one shot.
Get this: He said they were leaning in close to light cigarettes off the same lighter, so he put a round from his specially-made .50 BMG sniper rifle right "between" these two guy's faces and how the bullet actually ripped their faces off as it whizzed by them... He actually aimed to miss.
When I laughed and said: "Yeah, pull my other leg and it plays jingle bells"
he actually launched into an incoherent dissertation on how it was ballistically possible to near miss a target and yet still cause damage from the "Sonic concussion". When I finished telling him about the guy who had a 105mm howitzer shell pass between his legs with no "sonic concussion" damage that was worse than bruising, he stated that that was different, I sighed and then a man with a WW2 veteran hat on stepped up behind the guy and said to me and my friends:
"Boys, you better save yer watches 'cause the poop done already filled yer boots."
We laughed and the "sniper" escaped and evaded...

If you enjoyed reading about "World's Funniest Fake Soldiers..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rustynuts
November 2, 2008, 07:12 PM
They actually are developing weapons based on that, but they tend to be BOMBS not bullets. Saw a show on Future Weapons I think where they had a bomb/mortar that would explode near an armored tank and if the hatch was up the concussion would kill the crew without having to defeat the actual armor.

JoseM
November 2, 2008, 07:43 PM
Not really the same, but close....back in college (at NCSU in Raleigh), there were two kids saying that they just got weekend leave from Basic Training and were hitting on my girlfriend. Well, I was in the Army National Guard at the time and actually was an officer (OCS - which means you can get your commission before you graduate).

I watched from a "safe" distance because my girlfriend was asking what their "MOS" was and was asking other pertinent questions. Like, why was your hair so long, where you were stationed, how you got leave DURING basic training. Oh, the army doesn't have a basic training location in North Carolina...so that was another "one".

I just sat back and laughed and wondered why anyone would lie about being away from BT?! That's not impressive, at least say they just got back from some secret deployment overseas!!!

BHP FAN
November 2, 2008, 07:44 PM
I did my four years as a Squid many years ago,my kid brother is a combat medic in Iraq.My uncle was a col in the Cav in 'Nam,my grandfather was a WWII navy capt,my great-grandfather served in the Confederate army. Fake soldiers are sick,sad little men.

JT in VA
November 2, 2008, 07:48 PM
I always have more respect for the vets who say I loaded trucks or stood a post but I did it well than for the fake GI Joes who claim to be super commandos but never served. I suspect the guys who have seen a bunch of killing and dieing don't speak of it much. Thank God for them though.

longdayjake
November 2, 2008, 09:26 PM
I bet that half of the special ops peoples that get outed are some form of ex military type. I have personally had to argue velocities, caliber, and even the differences of .223 and 5.56 to an army Lt. I think that sometimes the military tells the guys that they are the best in the world so much that eventually they start to believe it. Though our army is great, not all of them are professional gun experts. Whether it relates to guns or whatever you can usually find an ex military guy that knows everything because he was once in the military.

about whether or not the bullets of a .50 bmg could kill you just by being close, I would ask someone how they just make 1/2" holes in thin little pieces of paper instead of tearing it to pieces.

DeathByCactus
November 2, 2008, 09:54 PM
We used to sit out at the smoke pit at my old community college before I transferred to a University. There was a kid, rich kid (real rich), who had some serious family issues. Anyway, he was out there telling everyone how he was in Iraq and got shot in the back a few times and the bullets had passed through him and he had gotten skin grafts to fix it so there were no marks.

Well, I argued every point of logic to prove he was an idiot. However, I lacked the finishing blow, the hilarity shot. I was friends with the local recruiter, Sgt. Kelly, and I told him about the BS that this dude came up with. So, he was like let me talk to him.

This is during the more crowded time when people are rotating out of class. Sgt. Kelly comes over, "Hey soldier, I hear you served in Iraq,' Sgt. Kelly says, 'what unit were you in? what was your MOS? Who was your CO? Where were you stationed? What were you equipped with? How long were you in for? Where did they send you before you deployed to Iraq?'" These were among the many questions that nailed his tomb of failure shut.

He tried, he really did try to look truthful... It finally came down to, "I don't know what to tell you man, I was there..." I was laughing so hard I had to walk away. He never made up army BS again... other BS, just not army BS. Which I still called him out on all the time :evil:

DAVIDSDIVAD
November 2, 2008, 10:41 PM
one of the security guards at Del Mar College in Corpus Christi was always telling my friends about how he was a "special forces" guy the year before, and his rent a cop job was just temporary.

jerkface11
November 2, 2008, 11:10 PM
I used to work with a guy who was an Army Ranger sniper when we invaded Panama. His rifle was a semi automatic Browning A-bolt in .50bmg that the army let him take with him when he retired.

pappy
November 2, 2008, 11:13 PM
I suspect the guys who have seen a bunch of killing and dieing don't speak of it much. Very true, my Dad was such a person. I knew he had been in the army and had served in WWII, but he absolutley refused to discuss it. When he passed away, I was extremley surprised when the Army did a full deal funeral for him. As the oldest son, I recieved his service records, more medals than you could imagine, my Dad was a real bad a$$, and I never knew it.

gripper
November 2, 2008, 11:17 PM
This brings back memories of the guy I met on a bus trip after (11B10)AIT at Benning...I was 18,he was about 25...and he regaled me with his "Viet Nam experiences"...I think he must hav eserved in an operation so secret that he was deployed byears before his mother conceived him:neener:

Treo
November 2, 2008, 11:21 PM
There was a guy(who shall remain nameless however if I said the initials Texas Skyhawk you'd know who I meant) that used to post here that told every body what a hardcore Seal he was and about all his medals and just what a general bad *** he was. He mentioned his stellar service career in every single post. One day one of the Mods asked him very politely to put up or shut up and he disappeared. He's not posted (under that name) since.

ruger_dude
November 2, 2008, 11:22 PM
Quote:
I suspect the guys who have seen a bunch of killing and dieing don't speak of it much.
My Dads the same way, the only reason I really know about his service record in 'Nam was from his brother who also served and my father confided in him about what he had seen.

Birddog1911
November 3, 2008, 12:50 AM
In my time, I have had the pleasure to work with true "operators" from all branches, and a couple of different countries. I have counted a couple more as friends than aquantances(sp). None of them ever bragged themselves up; always silent professionals. When someone brags about being a Seal or Green Beret, I pretty much know it's BS.

Oh, and I am NOT an operator. I just got to haul them from point A to crap spot point B, or vice versa.

RippinSVT
November 3, 2008, 12:58 AM
I have never served my country, as I was medically-DQ'd on some bull**** a few years back while applying to the AF pilot program in AFROTC. That being said, I can't STAND people who disgrace our nation's REAL heros. My father was a 30-year AF colonel, one grandfather was in espionage against the Nazis in the Army Air Corps, the other watched his ship sink and his buddies burn in the water after his ship was hit by a German U-boat torpedo when he was 16 years old (faked his aged). My great-grandfather fought in the forests and trenches of Alsace-Lorain in WWI, and distant grandfathers fought in the Civil War.

The military and respect for our nation's men is in my blood, and I feel violated when somebody fakes their service to look good. It makes a mockery of the guys who really did go through some stuff. My father-in-law was in heavy combat in Vietnam, and never speaks of it to anyone but me it seems,and only when he's had a few beers. He talks about how the guys who went through it never bring it up, and the guys on the sidelines are all of a sudden bragging MOH winners.

Eightball
November 3, 2008, 01:03 AM
Had a guy come into work once, claimed he was some kinda mix between specops, a medic, and mechanic, that would fly with the chopper in case there were problems in-flight (if there's problems, why is it in the air?), and lob 40mm rounds from his M203 to cover the paratrooping medics he watched over. Claimed he had been in afghanistan for a while. The opener for his conversation was that he was curious what an M16/M203, M60, and various other goodies would go for, as "they let [him] keep them when he finished his tour of duty." While stifling a laugh, I politely informed him of his massive, you're-spending-the-rest-of-your-life-in-federal-prison type "error," he realized that I was not one to be so easily fooled by his wannabe stories.

Eventually, after defending himself for a while, he let slip that he was only in ROTC at the local college, whereupon I couldn't help but audibly snicker a bit.

John Wayne
November 3, 2008, 01:05 AM
My experience has been that those who have done something which most idiots brag about and claim to have done (being in SF, taking a life) don't talk about it.

My neighbor of 15 years took part in the invasion of Normandy. To this day, I have heard him speak of it once, and that was only after someone else asked. It was not a long conversation.

Golden Hound
November 3, 2008, 01:16 AM
I will NEVER for the life of me understand why people lie about things like that. How can they possibly feel good about it? There's no pride to be had in bragging about something fake. You'd have to be a real snake to do it.

mike724
November 3, 2008, 01:20 AM
zone of my best friends says he was a SAEL, but when I showed him my AR-15, he asked me to show him how to operate it!!!!
Sould I loan him money?

Gord
November 3, 2008, 01:44 AM
I was wondering how many here have outed one of these idiots due to their total lack of firearms knowledge.

I guess the entire thread would be OT without that line, but dude, a lot of military personnel have no real firearms knowledge outside of what they're taught in Basic. Shooting guns for a living does not always translate into shooting guns as a hobby, and .mil guys are just as prone as anyone else to believe the wild tales about .45 blowing your arm or leg clean off on a toe shot, or whatever.

It's a much more reliable indicator when they have no knowledge of military practices and procedures.

johncantiusgarand
November 3, 2008, 02:41 AM
There are those who never served but like to claim they did. Then there are those who served in a non-combat capacity who make up stories about all the combat they saw or the people they killed. I served two tours in Iraq--one in combat arms and one in support. I made it through both without being shot at, blown up, or having to shoot at anyone. There was some apprehension at times, but neither I nor anyone around me ever came under direct attack. However, that didn't stop some of them from seeking disability related to "combat stress" when we got home. And I've no doubt that even more have regaled their friends, family and co-workers with tall tales of combat.

It probably didn't help that both times I returned we were treated to ceremonies and presentations that called us "heroes". This nation is doing a great job of honoring its military in a way it never did during the Vietnam war. And I was touched by all the support. But I found it embarassing, too. I just wished that we could have been recognized for our service and whatever sacrifices we'd made without the term "hero" being used. There are some real heroes being made every day overseas, but neither I nor anyone I worked with did anything heroic. And calling all servicemembers "heroes" cheapens the term.

I have wondered since if some of these fakers are formerly deployed non-combat servicemembers whose egos got used to the title "hero" so freely bestowed by veterans' support groups upon their immediate return home. Then they realize later that they aren't really that special after all. They're just one among hundreds of thousands of new veterans. And if they're Guardsmen or Reservists, their social status is little-changed from what it was pre-deployment as they return to their old civilian jobs and lives. It isn't long before some of them try to regain some respect by making up stories. It is shameful and pathetic and disrespectful of the guys who actually had to fight. Sad.

evan price
November 3, 2008, 02:59 AM
I have never served due to the fact that I enlisted USN nuclear program but got medical DQ'ed for Asthma at MEPS after going through the whole process.

That said, I knew this guy who claimed to be pararescue- parabadass and claimed to be one of the few people with keys to the secure vault on a sub where they keep the nuclear launch codes and it was his job to go and retrieve them if a sub went down. He always liked to talk about how close we were/are to launching nukes at somebody, because he "had to know" in case he had to go dive for a lost sub.
Of course he was so badass secret-squirrel that he couldn't give out details of his service record.

Since the guy was probably 360 pounds naked and worked at a Krispy Kreme donut shop I sort of doubted most of what he said. When the store's "FRESH & HOT NOW!" sign got turned on I still had to double check....

Treo
November 3, 2008, 04:00 AM
Brian Denahey ( The Actor) claimed to have served in a Marine Rifle Company (which he did) in Viet Nam ( which he didn't ).

It was roughly the time that it all of a sudden became cool to be a vet in the late 80s and Hollyweed did all the welcome home (20 years too late to all the guys we spit on in 68 ) specials on TV. There were some others but he sticks out in my mind

BullfrogKen
November 3, 2008, 04:25 AM
I had the reverse of these stories happen once.

I was a young guy, early 20's, just had a bad break-up with a girl I loved. I got myself a motorcycle, and some of the guys I rode with wore colors. I wasn't into that lifestyle. But I did get a leather vest. And I pinned my badges and ribbons on it, just to try to fit in better with those fellows. Egos and rep meant alot.

So I'm trying to kill another lonely night in Frederick, MD. I'm out at the bowling alley on a Friday night. It serves liquor and has country line dancing those evenings. I see three Marines (it was obvious, even in civvies) come closer and begin discussing me. They quickly approached me, a little tipsy, and asked why I was wearing all the chest candy. Told 'em it was mine, I could wear it if I wanted to. Why, did I get a ribbon out of order? Took a few rounds of, "what's that one for?" until they dropped their guard.

When it becomes my turn, "So, you guys are all infantry Marines, huh? What brings you to this sleepy town, so far from any big Fleet Marine bases?"
":uhoh: Uh, oh, we're at the Naval Supply Depot."
"Yeah, right. :rolleyes: You're all Camp David Marines. You guys know Sgt. Such and such?
:eek: "Uh, sir, we're not supposed to talk about that."
"I know, its all secret. Forget about it. But see I grew up here, and we all knew about that hidden front gate entrance when we were in high school. Don't worry about it. I won't tell your secret. See that stripper over there . . . . I think she's hot for you . . . . "

And on the evening went.

Have an uncle that served as a medic, in action, on Okinawa. Didn't find out until his funeral. All I can remember from him is he worked at NASA for about 30 years, and had a passion for model trains. He had made the most elaborate model train mock-ups in his basement I'd ever seen. Never once talked about his experience in the service while we were playing with those trains. I never even knew he had ever served.

That's just the way it goes.

C-grunt
November 3, 2008, 05:04 AM
Long story ahead:

So Im on leave from my first tour in Iraq in 03, literally probably 8 days in country, and just so happens that my friend from the Airforce is home too. We meet up with our third friend who did the smart thing and went to college for dinner at the Macaroni Grill.

If you havent been there, they have paper tablecloths and crayons so you can write on the table while youre there. So we begin talking about the stupid things we have to do at work. My Airforce friend is talking about guarding an AWACS plane in a hanger for 24 hour shifts and my other friend is talking computer stuff. Well I start talking about how in my unit, 3rd Infantry Division, we have to sing the 3rd ID song every morning before PT.

The song is like an old 20s jingle and starts off with "I wouldnt give bean to be a fancy pants Marine, Id rather be a dog face soldier like I am." I wrote the whole song down on the table trying to remember it without the music.

So the waiter comes by and reads it and says
"so you got something against the Marines huh?" taking some offense to the song.

I tell him no and its a song we have to sing because Im in the Army. Then he says "well you know what Army stands for right?" I knew exactly what he was going to say.

"Aint Ready for Marines Yet" he says all smug and proud.....

I reply with "well yeah if it was called the Arfmy"

So he keeps going on about how much better the Marine Corp is over the Army. How a Marine cook is equivalent to an Army infantryman, that I took a little offense to, and so on.

So I ask him what he did when he was in the Marines.....he said "Oh I was never in the Marines, I just wanted to join when I was in high school."

I was so mad I began getting a little loud then (bad PTSD) but my friends calmed me down and we got a new waiter.

C-grunt
November 3, 2008, 05:10 AM
But as to people talking about war experiences, my psych doctor told me to talk about it and it actually has helped my PTSD out tremendously. I wouldnt say I brag about it but I do talk about it.

I too am one of the guys who feels really uncomfortable when people start thanking me and what not. I didnt do anything special.

olivedrab
November 3, 2008, 07:07 AM
i believe there is a website out there ran by a SEAL, where he outs people claiming to be SEALs

qajaq59
November 3, 2008, 09:00 AM
I had a cousin that fought in the Pacific during WWII. When he got home he said,"It was awful and you could smell those stinking islands from 20 miles out to sea." That was it. He never said another word about the war for the rest of his life. I suspect he saw some really nasty stuff and wanted to forget what he could.

shaka
November 3, 2008, 09:09 PM
There was a guy on the Daily Paul forum (http://www.dailypaul.com/node/60263) called "MW" who was bad-mouthing me. He claimed to have 24 years of experience as a sniper instructor. I outed him in my FAQs (http://www.sniperflashcards.com/flashcards.php) - haven't heard from him since.

Incidentally, in case you are wondering, I was never in the military and have never said I that I was. I'm a mathematician - I have a humorous biography (http://www.sniperflashcards.com/bio.php) on my site, which discusses some of the things I've invented.

LeonCarr
November 3, 2008, 09:20 PM
I used to work with a guy in the early 90s that claimed up and down he was a SEAL in Vietnam. My girlfriend at the time went to church with his wife, and it turns out he was in elementary school during Vietnam :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

RX-178
November 3, 2008, 09:43 PM
I am going to admit that I was very childish, un-highroadish, and did something needlessly dangerous that could have endangered people. But I did basically out someone. (And no, at NO POINT did I ever pull a gun, even though the story will seem to go in that direction for a few moments.)

I was in a small knife shop specializing MOSTLY in collectibles (fantasy swords, and stuff like that), but it did also have a great working knife selection in the back, and the shopkeeper was knowledgeable so I'd go there to chat often.

One time, this guy came in. Not really young. Late 30's kind of look. Bald, with a greying goatee. He was looking over automatic knives and assisted folders. I can't remember how the conversation went this way, but eventually he told me that his knife was faster than my gun.

He said while holding up an open assisted folder knife, 'I know I can get to my knife before you can get to your gun. And then, you know what? Then I got your gun. And you know how I know this? Former Special Forces, IN Combat!'

Well, I slapped the knife out of his hand when he said that. I thought it was a very fitting thing to do at that time, but in retrospect, that knife sailed through the air a good distance, and could've hurt someone if anyone happened to be in its path.

Oh well, just another mistake to live and learn from.

Treo
November 3, 2008, 09:52 PM
If I remember correctly didn't a former Naval CNO ( the Navy's chief of staff?) commit suicide because he was about to be outed for wearing a bogus Vietnam Service Ribbon?

ETA a portion of the newspaper story

The nation's top Navy officer, distraught after some of his military awards were called into question, died Thursday, May 16, 1996, from an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Adm. Jeremy Boorda was to have met about the time of the shooting with the Washington bureau chief of Newsweek magazine, which was working on a story concerning his medals. Administration officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, said there was no evidence the shooting was accidental and no suspicion of foul play. Two notes were found at Boorda's residence; they were sealed by investigating police.

J Star
November 3, 2008, 09:53 PM
Haha, this is a great thread.

I never got to serve. I tried, but they don't like to let people with asthma in to any service. (Nevermind that I used to run the 2 mile and 1 mile event in track when I was in high school, regardless of my asthma.) However, when I was a boy, EVERY male I knew and respected in my town had served, or was still serving. One of my best friends had a family of military men - dad and 3 older brothers - that always took us to West Point for football games (I was more interested in the military stuff, but the games were ok) and all sorts of cool military functions. Needless to say, I loved guns and military machinery, and knew quite a bit about the different branches of service.

So anyway, I've heard all the BS stories from people. I can spot these jokers a mile away.

My wife worked with a lady whose husband "got accepted into the SEAL program" and had to leave her for 2 months for training. Never mind the fact that he was 35 and had never been enlisted before. I told my wife to let her friend know that not only can't you join the active military at that age without prior service, but that the Navy SEAL teams don't pick out people who haven't even completed basic yet. Especially not overweight morons. Turns out, he didn't get accepted, but was shacking up with another woman. Big shocker.

Guy at my current job claimed to have been stationed at a USAF base in Korea. "Oh yeah?" I asked, honestly interested. "Which one, Osan or Kunsan?" No, he says, the OTHER one. "Yeah, dude, I hate to poke holes in your story, but those are your only two choices." Also, we work for a major military contractor and have USAF people all over our campus. Hello? Pick a dumber place to make up military service, would ya?:banghead:

dirtyjim
November 3, 2008, 09:54 PM
i had a neighbor that claimed to be marine recon, a cowboy, have a law enforcemont background & for $200 would tell you how to get a job.
the first day he moved in he was glassing his 2 acre treeless back yard looking for terrorist & anything that was out of the ordinary " just like he did when he was in marine recon".

a couple days later he buys a horse. so i tell him he needs to check the fence along the back of the property because when we had a couple of cows on it the got out. the back of the property borders a bayou & according to him horses aren't as sure footed as cows & they will not go down an incline so it doesn't even need a fence on the back.
about two weeks later he bought a hot rod camaro. a few days later a cop stops by his house for a few minutes. after the cop left i asked him what it was about. he said they had a car chase earlier in the day & their cop cars weren't fast enough to catch the guy so they called him to chase the guy down in his camaro because he has a law enforcement background.

then one day right after that he comes over to the fence & asks me if i have a job because for $200 he'll tell me where i can get one.

MikePGS
November 3, 2008, 10:05 PM
I used to work with a guy that would tell us all sorts of things. Like how he used to be a Detroit Police Officer, but had to retire after getting shot in the gut 6 times with a .357 magnum and immediately falling out of a 6th story window afterwards. Of course, he mentioned that he liked to carry his .50 cal desert eagle, or his .44 mag (he switched it up, apparently). Apparently before I started working there he would tell people about his time servicing in Vietnam, which they found to be hilarious because he was born in 1964 (do they let 10 year olds serve? I forget...) however I didn't find it as funny, because my Great Uncle Ed actually DID serve in the military, he was in the Marine's, Force Recon. He, however didn't get to come home and make up stories. I think the longer you live, the more you realize that some people just aren't worth your time.

Big Daddy Grim
November 3, 2008, 10:08 PM
Gotta agree with Longdayjake I know the same guy and he is a know it all.

RippinSVT
November 3, 2008, 10:20 PM
DirtyJim:

You should move.

Fifteen+1
November 3, 2008, 10:26 PM
I guess the entire thread would be OT without that line, but dude, a lot of military personnel have no real firearms knowledge outside of what they're taught in Basic. Shooting guns for a living does not always translate into shooting guns as a hobby, and .mil guys are just as prone as anyone else to believe the wild tales about .45 blowing your arm or leg clean off on a toe shot, or whatever.

Yep, but if you claim to be a SEAL, or something like that, by God you had better be able to tell me what caliber a 92FS is, or how to operate the bolt release on a M4. If your a truck mechanic or work on jets like I did then yeah I could see that.

There is a guy that work with that one day while walking into work asked me about the tattoo of the UPC on my arm. I had it put on me my last year and the numbers are my enlistment date and age when I joined the Air Force. So he said "yeah this is mine" and showed me the one on his forearm. I asked what it meant, and he quoted a bible verse. So I asked why that and he told me that while he was in the Air Force they were going to discharge him, and that he was over at the "motor pool" helping them out. He stated that he was on the flight line at Lackland AFB and he was changing oil on a truck when a dude in a Humvee pulled up and ran over him. So while I was at Lackland, never saw a flight line but there is Kelly AFB right down the street. I was on a flight line and have never saw the "motor pool" out there. He said that it broke his back and both of hips, and the Air Force said tough, you are on your own.

Other than him being ran over, he has told other people at my work that he was a sniper in the Marines, that he was in operations so secret that he would have to kill us if he told us. I make fun of this guy. When I got out, I hitch hiked into a small north Oregon town where this guy that looked a lot like Brian Dennehey tried to get me out of town. So I came back and he arrested me. Long story short I found my self on a boat with a cook that knew some karate, ad beat the guy down that hijacked the boat and was gonna launch some missiles. I got pics of the whole thing.

Crash_Test_Dhimmi
November 3, 2008, 11:03 PM
back around the 2004 election, some yahoo was on yahoo talking smack about the war, why we need kerry :barf:, and why we should pull out of iraq. He was also claiming that he was a General, 0-7, and that through his years of experience in running an army and fighting a war, that this is just not the war to be engaged in. He talked at length of his decades of experience, his work working with other militaries and cooperating militarily with other countries.

And the hippies on the forum were taking it, hook line and sinker. They said more of the military should speak up, and if this came from a general then it must be true.

However, As it is illegal under UCMJ for commissioned officers to be vocally airing such political speech on a public forum, I clicked on his profile.

In his profile was him in his class A uniform. bedazzled in ribbons and medals..... to include E7 chevrons!!! :scrutiny:
He was a Sergeant First Class in some National Guard artillery outfit in California.

He never ran an army, he ran a platoon.
So yeah, i called him out on it.
Priceless.

He tried to tell me he was doing it for the good of the country, :banghead: blah blah blah.
Whatever.

/real soldier
/101st Airborne
//Iraq

Auburn1992
November 3, 2008, 11:23 PM
Well, I do remember one time when I was in the 6th grade. I was playing paintball with one of my friends (well; wouldn't go as far as saying 'friend'). He said his dad may join us later. So I responded, 'Do you think I could take him?'

The kid looked at me like I was stupid and said, 'Yeah right. He's an ex-navy seal.'

Well aparently, this guy also owned a gunshop, liquor store, was in the army, navy seals, photographer for the falcons football team, played in the minor and major league (The mets), and managed to have a job at home depot, lowes, and was a private pilot. Pretty amazing this guy accomplished all of this in his ~40 years of life!

And he told a story of 'his' gunshop. He said he blew a hole the size of his fist in the side of his wall. He also owned full auto stens and uzis there too :rolleyes:

Did I mention he also started varsity basketball for Baylor highschool at age 6?

Prepster
November 3, 2008, 11:26 PM
A close friend of mine served and has scars to prove it. A few months ago we were at the range and he was owning me at 100 yards with my own rifle :o. Anyway, this guy comes up in digital camo pants and says "Wow, you're really good, almost as good as a special ops sniper I ran with in Iraq." Instantly my B.S. detector went off, and my friend asked him what company he was in, rank, etc. This "experienced operator" couldn't answer most of those questions. He left pretty soon afterwards. :)

Treo
November 3, 2008, 11:40 PM
I used to work at a place called SynthesUSA in Monument Colorado. There was a woman who worked in sterile pack, that claimed to have inoperable brain cancer for about 5 years (O-kaay) She also claimed to be the only child of the man who invented single side band radios (or maybe it was radar) anyway Hyman Rickover was soooooo impressed W/ her daddy that he aranged for the Navy to send her to college to be a communications spook ( which is how she got the brain cancer don't-cha-know) . Now where was I ? Oh yeah! after college she was direct commisioned into the Califorina National Guard as a Major. Now this wasn't just any National Guard unit , it was a super secret unit who's sole duty was to go any where in the World on 6 hours notice to find American POWs from Viet Nam.
(But only on one weekend a month :D)

Now mind you, she didn't want you to think she was a hero no sir. The real heros were all those POWs that she helped rescue they were the heros.

Why she was so selfless that when the Navy had to discharge her for brain cancer she just took a plain old discharge instead of a medical retirement.

Given the P.C. climate at S-USA at the time I would have been reprimanded for harassment had I called her on it.

Loomis
November 3, 2008, 11:46 PM
I've never known anyone that talked about war experiences freely. i had one uncle that was in the second or third wave(I forget which) that stormed omaha beach. he's dead now. The only time he ever talked about it to me, he was in tears and trembling saying that he didn't deserve to live because he hid under a dead body to stay alive, and pretended to be dead. He made it until just before the battle of the bulge when he took schrapnel in the back. They sent him home and never removed the schrapnel.

The only other person to ever say anything about war experiences to me was a close buddy that once told me how he got captured by the enemy on like the second or third day out and never fired his rifle once. I don't even know what he was doing out running around with a rifle since he was trainded to fix helicopter hydraulics. I didn't ask him about it though.

hankdatank1362
November 4, 2008, 12:11 AM
Had a guy I worked with tell me he was a "close combat" instructor for the US Marines. (Never heard of that, CQB or CQC maybe)

He regaled me with a story one night as I drove him home (because his motorcycle was out of gas and he left his mini cooper at home... turns out neither of those existed) about how he went through sniper training and could regularly take shots out to two miles with a fifty cal.

"Hmmm." I replied. "What was your standard issue rifle?"

I was expecting M24, maybe M14 as a DMR, or heck, maybe an M82, I dunno.

"Fifty cal."

"No," I replied. "What rifle?"

"Fifty cal."

"Okay," I said. "Bolt action or semi-auto?" Thinking either Barrett 10-shot M82 or single shot bolt.

"Full auto." He replied.

Nice. A full auto sniper rifle. We truly are the world's last superpower. (Doesn't Russia have one of those?)

A few weeks later, we fired him and had him arrested for stealing a little Bulgarian girl's purse. He denied it up and down, even though we had him on tape stuffing the purse down his pants.

jnyork
November 4, 2008, 12:36 AM
You can find these poor lost souls at any gunshow, stomping around in their combat boots, cammies and black headbands, usually with a milsurp of some sort over the shoulder and maybe a big ol' knife in a sheath strapped to a leg.:eek: Almost none of them have ever been in the military for even a day
, and they couldn't get in even if they tried. Too stupid to pass the written test, too fat and weak to pass the physical, bloodstream too poluted to pass the drug test, too goofy to pass the psych exam. Kinda feel sorry for them in a way, living in a fantasy world they will never get to experiece for real.

ieszu
November 4, 2008, 12:36 AM
Reminds me of a guy I met in gunsmithing school. The guy was about 45 or so, morbidly obese and wore sweats with holes in them every day. Claimed to be a marine sniper on a submarine, a plank member of the Seals, former CIA operative, a machinist and an accomplished gunsmith before he started the school.

The only thing about him I believed was his name... the former military guys used to ask him questions all the time about his "experiences".... just made him stammer and stutter. But as soon as a new guy came in, he would regale them with his "stories".

Now I never served my country. I joined ROTC while in college but could not complete it due to a communication error between a chaplain and the Major in charge of my training. I have the utmost respect for those who do serve, in whatever capacity they can. But liars and fakes just get me angry.

After the guy "graduated" (he passed with a D average), he ended up getting work driving a truck for a moving company....

DRZinn
November 4, 2008, 01:30 AM
Yeah, well, there's like a butt-load of gangs at my school. This one gang kept wanting me to join because I'm pretty good with a bo staff.

Golden Hound
November 4, 2008, 01:40 AM
Reading this thread has made me feel pretty thankful that I've never had to interact with any liars like this. There must be a lot of them out there...I guess it's bound to happen sooner or later. I'm only 22.

Justin
November 4, 2008, 02:23 AM
At one of my old jobs, I would sometimes have to work the early morning shift. There was a guy working that shift who claimed that in the Air Force he had been a gunner, and that he had been issued a Desert Eagle for his sidearm.

MikePGS
November 4, 2008, 02:25 AM
Yeah, well, there's like a butt-load of gangs at my school. This one gang kept wanting me to join because I'm pretty good with a bo staff.
To keep this gun-related, I'd like to mention that in order to protect my cousins, my uncle and I once had to shoot a bunch of wolverines with a frickin' 12 gauge.

JKimball
November 4, 2008, 04:45 AM
Nice. A full auto sniper rifle. We truly are the world's last superpower. (Doesn't Russia have one of those?)

Not sure about Russia, but our M2 has been proven to be an effective sniper rifle. I think Hathcock's longest kill in Vietnam was with an M2 with a 10 power scope mounted on it.

But somehow I doubt your co-worker would know anything about that.

mljdeckard
November 4, 2008, 05:29 AM
They aren't limited to civilians. When we were sending new soldiers home for Christmas last year, I spotted a kid's class As on a hanger in plastic as he was leaving, I grabbed one of the drills, who made him go back upstairs and remove the jump wings, the special forces, ranger, and airborne tabs, marksmanship bars for ten weapons, and a lot of other things that a PFC who has been in for 20 weeks cannot have.

C-grunt
November 4, 2008, 06:00 AM
My friend had a coworker a couple years ago who:

Worked in the Navy special warfare division with the Seals as a comms specialist

Shot down a Hind D with a Barret 82 standing, shoulder fired

Worked for the CIA as an assassin.

Was once accidentaly blown up by a 500 lb bomb dropped on the wrong target by a Navy jet during a secret op.

Owned a coffee farm in Brazil

Had a PHD in advanced nuclear physics, one in chemistry, and a masters in business management.

Oh and he was only 27.

qajaq59
November 4, 2008, 06:34 AM
My friend had a coworker a couple years ago who:

Worked in the Navy special warfare division with the Seals as a comms specialist

Shot down a Hind D with a Barret 82 standing, shoulder fired

Worked for the CIA as an assassin.

Was once accidentaly blown up by a 500 lb bomb dropped on the wrong target by a Navy jet during a secret op.

Owned a coffee farm in Brazil

Had a PHD in advanced nuclear physics, one in chemistry, and a masters in business management.

Oh and he was only 27.
Oh, I remember him. He now works at the car wash on Main St.

Sorry about that. It was just too good to pass up.:D

C-grunt
November 4, 2008, 07:00 AM
Yeah he would talk about how the CIA would sometimes pick him up after work (carsales manager) and ask him to take quick assignments over night. Thats why he would come to work the next day looking ragged and wearing the same outfit. It had nothing to do with him obviously being addicted to cocaine.

I just thought it was funny that in the middle of all his spec ops stories and CIA work, he had a coffee farm in Brazil. It made me laugh.

Golden Hound
November 4, 2008, 07:42 AM
They aren't limited to civilians. When we were sending new soldiers home for Christmas last year, I spotted a kid's class As on a hanger in plastic as he was leaving, I grabbed one of the drills, who made him go back upstairs and remove the jump wings, the special forces, ranger, and airborne tabs, marksmanship bars for ten weapons, and a lot of other things that a PFC who has been in for 20 weeks cannot have.

Again I will never, NEVER understand how someone can be this dishonorable. How do these guys live with themselves? I think it would take a true sociopath to take any kind of pride in unearned accomplishments (or even other peoples' reactions to them.)

By the way, Admiral Boorda (who did commit suicide, though the exact reasons for it are unknown) WAS in fact definitely authorized to wear the Valor devices for his service in Vietnam. This was confirmed by Admiral Elmo Zumwalt and by the official Navy review board. More details here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Boorda#Death) It is said that the investigation of the validity of his service was an attempt by his rivals within the Navy's politics to try to undermine his record.

olivedrab
November 4, 2008, 08:05 AM
the website i was referring is no longer active.

http://www.cyberseals.org/authentiseal/

flor1
November 4, 2008, 09:10 AM
Has been to Iraq twice for 30 month's and waiting to go back a third time and won't say a word about what he's had to do. I couldn't be prouder. Real heros don't have to talk about it.

gregormeister
November 4, 2008, 09:24 AM
I went to Port Hueneme CA. for training in 03, and while I was there another Marine and I went to a club. Later in the night a guy comes up and says "You Navy?" I say "no Marines" and he says "yeah we are too!" and I look over and see that his partner is a young guy of around 21 or 22.
So I say where you guys stationed and he says there in L.A. and there recruiters and that they are gunnies...I told them to take the first flight to F***Ville and when they got there to F*** themselves.Thwy took off pretty much right away.Me and my buddy joked that I (a 22 year old Corporal) had been disrespectfull to a 22 year old gunny....Oh well it happens..

Bozo
November 4, 2008, 10:39 AM
"They aren't limited to civilians. When we were sending new soldiers home for Christmas last year, I spotted a kid's class As on a hanger in plastic as he was leaving, I grabbed one of the drills, who made him go back upstairs and remove the jump wings, the special forces, ranger, and airborne tabs, marksmanship bars for ten weapons, and a lot of other things that a PFC who has been in for 20 weeks cannot have."

I guess it may be different since I was in service in the late '60's but if I had been caught with stuff on my uniform that was not supposed to be there, I would not be going anywhere, but up on charges.

mljdeckard
November 4, 2008, 11:35 AM
Three days before Christmas, all they want to do is get people out the door. But yes, he might well be subject to UCMJ action. (I have no idea of the toll the drill took out of him in his room.)

I forgot about the guy in my guard unit who told a wild story about injuring his knee in Afghanistan in a helicopter accident, for which he was decorated and still recovering, (That's why he's overweight and on a permanent profile,) went to language school and had to leave early for a 'special assignment.' When I went to language school, I was working in the admin office, I saw his file. He injured himself trying to get on a helicopter he wasn't supposed to be on, and showed up for language school overweight and a PT failure, so they sent his broken butt home.

JohnL2
November 4, 2008, 11:39 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, young males are idiotic and insecure.

flor1 my hats off to your son and you. He has passed through the threshold. Empty bravado has been replaced by the knowledge of experience. Such is the finer item.

Deer Hunter
November 4, 2008, 01:34 PM
I see this kind of behavior numerous times here at A&M. We've got the Corps of cadets. I've got a lot to say about this group, but suffice to say, it is the biggest frat on campus. I guess it used to be something great once, but not anymore.

In any case, I was sitting in a freshman chemistry class, waiting for the prof to arrive, when from behind me I heard a glorifying tale from a freshman kid in the corps. He was hitting on a girl beside him (who didn't look all that bright either).

A girl next to me and I listened intently.

"Oh yeah, I'm just doing this CORPS bit until I get called up for some special spec-ops mission. This is like my cover, see? Like, yesterday we got to shoot M16s and I totally rocked. No one else knew how, but I picked it up and was dusting targets at, like, 100 yards and stuff. No sights either. That's why they wanted me."

Considering that I've seen the "m16s" they use (They are AR15s in A1 arrangement with a .22 rimfire upper), and also considering that they use the same range our pistol team uses (they were shooting at paper targets 10 feet away), I would call BS on this guy.

wheelgunslinger
November 4, 2008, 02:47 PM
Treo,
I remember that poster you were talking about and how when he started talking about training operators he got called on the carpet. funny. I'd totally forgotten that.

My brother called me one day and told me about this new young dude at his job that claimed he had been a Marine sniper (why are they always marine snipers?).
He asked me for some questions to trip the guy up. So, I told him to ask the guy about bullet drop and how far he had to hold the crosshairs above target at 400m with his "personal barrett 50".

total deer in the headlights.

CWL
November 4, 2008, 03:02 PM
Most combat veterans I've met, including my father and his friends, never have the need to discuss what they've seen, except maybe during closed gatherings.

Funny how I used to meet a lot of Green Berets, nowadays everyone's a SEAL. Plenty of Snipers walkin' and thumpin' chests too. Seems like our entire military is SOCOM, no wonder we contract with Halliburton to run the mess halls. :rolleyes:

Just One Shot
November 4, 2008, 03:06 PM
The thing about heroes is that they don't apply the term to themselves.

They view their actions as just doing their job. They don't distingiush their actions as being any different than those they serve with. They believe that anyone in their situation would have done the same thing and reacted in the same way.

They are reluctant to take accolades for their actions especially if it involved the taking of a life. Many of these guys carry a sense of guilt around with them for the rest of their lives after experiencing a kill. Some learn to live with it while others never quite get over it.

You can almost always tell the want to be's simply because they tell their (fake) stories with a gleam in their eye as if they are waiting for you to pat them on the back as they relate their imaginary exploits.

CH47gunner
November 4, 2008, 03:15 PM
I have outed a couple of these guys over the years.
Just asked a few pertinent questions:
What Unit (company/battalion/regiment/brigade/division) were you with?
What year were you there?
Where were you stationed (Corps/basecamp/firebase)?
What weapons did you use?
What MOS were you trained as & what job did you do?

It's pretty easy to pick their stories apart if they don't add-up.

I don't get the wannabe vet or cop stuff. I see these guys, in my local gunstore & at the range, and wonder what's going on in their heads. There's something scary about someone who's fantasizing about that kind of stuff.

Bruce

BullfrogKen
November 4, 2008, 03:24 PM
Just One Shot . . . just one word.

Truth.

ApexinM3
November 4, 2008, 05:30 PM
I had a boss (service director at a car dealership) that claimed to be a SEAL back during Vietnam. Claimed he had a grenade accident & subsequently left the service. Curious about his "service" I inquired as to what team he was with, he said he was with Team 6...:uhoh:

Team 6 didn't officially exist until the early '80s last I knew so I did a little digging. One cannot become a SEAL (AFAIK) without completing BUD/S for which the completion is a matter of public record, verifiable thru Naval Bureau of Personel; which of course showed he didn't complete BUD/S. A little fact checking by Veri-SEAL http://veriseal.org/about.html as well & of course they outed him to me. Turns out he was in the Navy but not the SEALS. What a disgrace to the armed services...:barf::fire::cuss:

sarg
November 4, 2008, 10:08 PM
We just lost a young SGT. this week in AFG., (Combat Eng Bn.) while doing a road clearing operation, They were attacked And even thought the attack was repulsed, this young man died with the medics. His body will be home Wed. and his funeral will be at Florance Ky on Sat. This is the real heros of conflicts and wars. I would have been with the guys but I had to retire Five years ago .(AGE 60). When a home town National guard unit is called away, It leaves a large hole in that community. When these guys come home they won't go on and on about their tour...most will never mention it, I personally knew this young man and the soldiers that were with him.. Worked , shot and hunted with them. His wife and two sons are the real loosers. I thank him for his sacarfice, his servive to his country and his community.

4thPointOfContact
November 4, 2008, 10:29 PM
So, I'll give my little tale of a wannabe. We had this guy named Steven W who claimed to have been in the paratroops and stationed in Germany for a bit.

I found this out about two minutes after our first meeting as it seemed to be a very big thing with him. Over the course of working a few nights he told me of the various things he'd done in his short but colorful career.

Apparently - -
- He'd missed his original movement to Germany, so instead of putting him on the next chartered flight they put him on the next thing smokin' and let him parachute into the fort he was stationed at in Germany.
- During his time there, he never really learned the name of the town because he was in such a high profile organization he was never allowed to go into town.
- His training was to parachute onto Soviet tanks and disable them.
- He'd been trained on both the T-5 and the newer T-7 parachutes, the ones with the square canopies. ( I admit, I fed him this question)
- He couldn't remember either his roster number, the company he'd gone through Jump School with, or the height of the either the short or tall towers at Ft Benning.
- Didn't know how many paratroopers could fit in a C-130 Hercules.
- When asked if they had completed removing the fourth jump tower at Ft Benning because of safety concerns, he said they had finished right before he went to Jump School.

On our last day together, I invited everyone working with me out to lunch after the last thing had been signed off for and we had a few at Longhorn. Everyone except Steve knew what was coming because I'd told them. When everyone had their drink orders in I laid it all out for Steve....
1) The Air Force isn't going to rig a C-141 for in-flight rigging or put on a Jump Master just so your sorry ass can parachute into Germany on a plane that's going to land thirty minutes later.
2) No one has such a super secret squirrel job in Germany that they never, I say again, never leave the post during a three year tour. Even if you never left, you would hear from other people where you were stationed. There are NO US Army forts in Germany, none. The Army doesn't have Forts in overseas places, only camps. (With the exception of a few in the Canal Zone from when it was US Territory and Fort Buckner in Okinawa.)
3) I still remembered how tall the 34- and 250-foot tower were at Ft Benning because that was usually the only way they were referred to.
4) There is no "fourth tower" at Benning, there was one but it was destroyed before you were even born.
5) The current parachutes in the Army inventory are the T-10 and the MC1-1. You couldn't have been trained on either a T-5 or a T-7 because they haven't been used since around WWII, and even then the T-7 was never a steerable, ram air canopy.
6) I was roster number "147" in Jump School. I remember my Company and I have the crappy picture on my wall to prove it.
7) Everybody and his mother knows you have Sixty-four paratroopers on a C-130 because you sing it every damn day for three weeks.
8) I haven't put on a 'chute in 10 years and I still remember my five damn points of performance, you can't name a single one.

9) You can pay for everyone's drink order. Oh, and you'll again never work on one of my jobs. If they won't accept that I don't want you on one of my teams, then I'll tell them Why, but only if I have to.

Avenger
November 4, 2008, 10:33 PM
Back when I was in high school, I worked in a grocery store. The assistant night manager claimed that he had been in the Air Force back in the 60s and 70s, and wonder of wonders, was an "official" SR-71 pilot. Unfortunately, he had no idea what a Habu was, insisted that the SR-71 was the first aircraft with a composite skin (actually, he called it "kinda fiberglass-y stuff), and thought that a good response to a port engine unstart was to kick full left rudder and dive to "get the engine turning again."

Killermonkey21
November 4, 2008, 10:54 PM
"C-130, roooolin' down the strip.
Sixty-four troopers on a one way trip.
Mission top secret, destination unknown,
don't give a damn if they're ever coming home."

That guy REALLY needed to get his head out of his fourth point of contact.

lloydkristmas
November 5, 2008, 12:18 AM
Did I mention he also started varsity basketball for Baylor highschool at age 6?

Now if youd said Baylor University, I might buy it. A six year old would probably be better than the bums they put on the court.

20nickels
November 5, 2008, 01:33 AM
I have run across too many of these sad people.
Spoiler
Notice every one of them is a "sniper". When I hear that word the BS meter peaks.

Golden Hound
November 5, 2008, 01:58 AM
Yes, I know a guy who is currently a SEAL. I went to high school with him - I was on the wrestling and rugby teams with him. He was a senior, I was a freshman. This was about 9 years ago. Even back then he was extremely focused and "together"...but very private and quiet. He wasn't the sort of guy who would ever brag about anything. He was also very religious. His father was a minister. But he knew that I was Jewish and he never tried to convert me to his religion.

EODDoogie
November 5, 2008, 02:42 AM
You would be surprised at how many folks nowadays were in Iraq on a secret team that "disarmed IED's". But these same folks have no clue what EOD is, have never heard of Indianhead, look confused when you say BIP, PUCA, or Render Safe, and they certainly don't know what the crab on my chest is as they are running their suck about their super secret-squirrel ninja antics.... What makes it priceless is when the ******nozzle doing it is also in uniform, is clearly not in a careerfield that would ever even set foot on the two-way range and doing it at the NCO club trying to pick up a EOD wife. I hate posers :fire:.

StockKahr
November 5, 2008, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by J Star:
Guy at my current job claimed to have been stationed at a USAF base in Korea. "Oh yeah?" I asked, honestly interested. "Which one, Osan or Kunsan?" No, he says, the OTHER one. "Yeah, dude, I hate to poke holes in your story, but those are your only two choices." Also, we work for a major military contractor and have USAF people all over our campus. Hello? Pick a dumber place to make up military service, would ya?

Not that this guy wasn't probably lying, but you're wrong about the "only two choices" bit. Kwang Ju AFB was operational until 1991. My brother-in-law was the CO in the late 1980's. There are certainly individuals here in the States who served on active duty at Kwang Ju. (I personally know two.)

Dr. Peter Venkman
November 5, 2008, 05:34 AM
I was sitting at a Starbucks once with my girlfriend and two pals. I've never been in the service, but I know a little bit about history. An older gentleman walked up to the table we were sitting down at and started talking about electric shavers. Then he proceeded to throw down a couple of "veterans organization" cards and whatnot; they might have been true, I never really checked.

He claimed that he was a WWII Combat veteran with the Airborne, who somehow trained Navy SEALS (Not UDTs) at Ellis Island. He dropped in on Normandy with a Glider, and I believe he claimed the same thing for Market Garden. He then told us that Bush did the exact same thing that Hitler did to get elected.

C-grunt
November 5, 2008, 06:05 AM
The Marines must have a LOT of snipers. I tried for four years to get into the Army sniper school and I was even at Ft Benning only a couple miles away. I had the opportunity once to go. We finally got a slot but my platoon Sgt gave it to a new private because I had already gone to Javelin school. Good thing that school was. Being a Javelin gunner in a mechanized division is kinda useless.

"Hey we got T72s comming out of Karbala, get your Javelin to the top of that hill there." So I hump the CLU and a couple heavy ass missiles up this hill only to watch the Abrams and 155 shells open fire when they are 4 klicks out.

So then on top of getting pushed aside for the class, we were in the field when the school started so this kid got to stay behind. Then he shows up at the school with no, and I mean NO, paperwork!!!!!! So he didnt even get in.

But I did get to be a DMR rifleman.....

Sorry, rant over.

JT in VA
November 5, 2008, 06:24 AM
Every now and then you run into the opposite. Several years ago I went to see the Civil War movie "Glory" with my father and a friend of the family who was about 70 then. During one of the battle scenes the friend of the family starts shaking and runs out to the lobby. He came back about 15 minutes later and seemed to have calmed down.

I asked my father what was going on and he advised his friend had seen a great deal of combat in the Pacific during WWII. I had known this man my entire life and never knew this. He just did not speak of it.

bonza
November 5, 2008, 08:57 AM
We had a guy come out to the rifle range one time. The range officer on duty got some bad vibes about him, so when the guy puts in his request for membership the R.O. declines it.
At the next Member's Meeting this guy shows up & puts his case forward. He told them he was an ex-USAF Pilot who was shot down over Vietnam & taken prisoner, spent some years in the Hanoi Hilton, etc., etc. The B.O.D. decides to grant the guy a membership & all is well. He becomes a #1 member, always volunteering, making improvements at the range, becomes a R.O., & eventually becomes Treasurer. During this time he would tell people, usually one on one & quite modestly, about his experiences as a captive & subsequent imprisonment, & torture, in the 'Hilton'. Throughout his rise in responsibilities at the range he gets a bit domineering & bruises a few egos of other members. One of them checks out the guys story & discovers that he was indeed a USAF Pilot, but was never stationed overseas. The guy gets 'outed' & ends up retracting his story after he is contacted by a Veteran's group that operates a website that exposes these types of individuals. He has subsequently resigned from the range & we haven't seen him since.

On the other side of the coin, my brother-in-laws father, Murray Egel, served in the Australian Army during WW2. He was stationed in Darwin, which is on the central north coast & one of the few parts of Australia to be attacked by the Japanese. You couldn't find a more quiet & unassuming guy. He passed away a few years ago, but not too long before that, he was finally recognized by the Australian government for having shot down a Japanese fighter using his SMLE! My sister sent me a newspaper clipping showing the story, but if you'd ever met the guy you would never have suspected it.

bdickens
November 5, 2008, 09:12 AM
"C-130 rollin' down the strip
Hit a rock and did a flip
Sixty-four paratroopers trapped inside.
Sixty-four paratroopers burned alive"

EOD Guy
November 5, 2008, 11:34 AM
Not that this guy wasn't probably lying, but you're wrong about the "only two choices" bit. Kwang Ju AFB was operational until 1991. My brother-in-law was the CO in the late 1980's. There are certainly individuals here in the States who served on active duty at Kwang Ju. (I personally know two.)

Thank you. I knew that I had been to three different Air Force bases in Korea, but damned if I could remember the name of the third (Kwang Ju).

wheelgunslinger
November 5, 2008, 01:19 PM
EODDoogie:

Thank you. That has to be one of the funniest posts I have ever read on THR. LOL.
I especially like the "******nozzle" tag. I swear your post should win some kind of humor award. I'm still sitting here laughing.

I agree. I enjoyed reading that as well.

:evil:

coloradokevin
November 5, 2008, 02:19 PM
I think a lot of the REAL-deal folks don't spend their days bragging about what they've done. Combat isn't pretty, and it takes a toll on a person... It isn't a favorite topic of a lot of the folks who have really been there.

Being in LE, a lot of my partners are former military guys.

We had an old-timer on night watch when I first came on, and I'd have never guessed him to be a military guy. I worked with him for two years before I even found out that he had been in the service, let along that he had served as a sniper in Vietnam. And, whenever someone would ask him about his military service he'd get a bit quiet, say something like "It was a long time ago", and then change the subject.

Another guy on our day-shift had always claimed that he was a "cook" in the military (and still does to outsiders). I spent 3 years working with him before I found out that he was actually special forces (a fact which he had only revealed to one of our other military guys who was having trouble after returning from Iraq).

Finally, by way of a somewhat tangentially related personal example, I have to mention my late granfather. Although he was never actually able to serve in the military during WWII (due to a heart condition), I had known that he had worked as a civilian contractor throughout the war. My grandfather was an engineer by training, and had always been good with electronics when I was growing up. During my childhood he owned a business in which he designed mobility products for the disabled, and I knew he had a few patents on these devices. Nevertheless, to the furthest extent of our knowledge (that includes his children, grandchildren, siblings, and his own wife), my grandfather had only worked on "telegraph" equipment during the war.

It wasn't long after his death (just over ten years ago) that we began to see the whole picture on this one. Apparently my grandmother learned at this time that my grandfather had been designing missile systems during the second world war, and was responsible for a few patents on these items. Strange thing is, in over 50 years of marriage he apparently never mentioned this fact to my grandmother. Anyway, I know it isn't the same as a military war story, but I still find some strikingly parallel features in the composition of these people.

The real "operators" are out there, they just don't spend their time bragging on the internet about their exploits.

JR47
November 5, 2008, 05:16 PM
I wouldn't be too hard on a former paratrooper/commando who didn't know how to release the bolt on an M4, or the caliber of an M9. He may well have been in Korea or Vietnam BEFORE these were issue weapons.

There were no SEALS before 1962. However, there were quite a few UDTs, all the way back to Beach Swimmers, in WWII. Fact is, SEALS all started as UDT-R, and trained as a SEAL later. During the 1980's, all of the UDT Teams were incorporated into the SEALS. There wasn't that much difference.

Special Forces groups have existed in our military for centuries. After a war, they all get re-absorbed into the line units. It's only been in the past 40 years that there was any effort made to allow them as career billets.

Yes, there are a ton of "former" military idiots out there. Just like there are fake SWAT members, fake doctors, fake paramedics, and on and on. There's even been a rash of fake educators lately.

Take it all with a grain of salt, and let it go. These people always end up running afoul of a real member of the group that they claim to belong to.

J Star
November 5, 2008, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StockKahr

Thank you. I knew that I had been to three different Air Force bases in Korea, but damned if I could remember the name of the third (Kwang Ju).

Sorry, I guess I should have specified that I am the "old" guy at work, and I'm 33. This guy was watching Saturday morning cartoons when Kwang Ju was op stat, and I was in high school. :neener:

X-Rap
November 5, 2008, 09:14 PM
I've been posing as a Gynecologist for 30 yrs. Back when I first started at 17 I wasn't as convincing.:D

If you enjoyed reading about "World's Funniest Fake Soldiers..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!