What carry ammo is best for Kahrs

PDA

newkahrman
November 2, 2008, 10:36 PM
Hey everyone just looking for some input on carry ammo for my Kahr 9mm.
It seems to kind of picky about ammo. I had a s&w m&p that would shoot anything I fed it. The kahr doesn't like wolf ammo I know. I have carried gold dot in the past. Any suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "What carry ammo is best for Kahrs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kind of Blued
November 2, 2008, 11:04 PM
My defense load of choice is Federal's HST line. My Kahr PM9 thankfully feeds the 147gr. +P load from Federal very well.

I broke it in with ~500 rounds of Blazer Brass and WWB FMJs then ran 200 rounds of the defense load through it to test reliability. No failures with the gun whatsoever. One of my mags occasionally fails to lock back, but I'm looking forward to trying a few more to make sure I carry the good ones.

Just remember to follow what the manual says and strip the first round from the mag using the slide release instead of "slingshotting". Mine will still feed by slingshotting, unless I do it really weak-handed, but I've never had it fail to lock up using the slide stop, so that's how I'll do it.

Anyway, considering the short 3" barrel, knowing my gun likes the +P stuff makes me happy.

GRIZ22
November 3, 2008, 01:03 AM
You need to experiment to find which is most reliable and accurate in your gun.

As Kind said break it in with a few hundred rounds of inexpensive but decent FMJs. If you have a lot of problems with FMJ there is something wrong with your gun. My Kahr might like Speer, Kind's Federal, and your's WW.

glock_17_4U
November 3, 2008, 03:56 AM
Is it their k,mk,pm , quite a few, I know the k line is very good and the mk too, I had a k9 elite 03 and I dont believe you would have to many problems outta the k's.

The Lone Haranguer
November 3, 2008, 11:32 AM
I would hardly fault your Kahr for not "running" with Wolf ammo. ;) Any American-made JHP should run fine in them. Only experimentation on your part will determine which ammo it "likes."

deadhawg
November 3, 2008, 07:51 PM
I have no personal experiance with firing wolf ammo in my kahr, but I have heard enough negative things about wolf ammo that I don't see any need to try it. It's not that much cheaper than wwb or other "bargain" brands. My PM9 has run fine with everything I have fed it, from wwb fmj's to gold dots to HST's.
I would recomend that you try a couple boxes of different good quality hp's to see what works best in your gun, and don't just rely on internet recomendations.

dogtown tom
November 3, 2008, 08:06 PM
I ran 100 rounds of Wolf through my K9 and PM9 yesterday. No problems.

I think I'm the only guy on this planet whose handguns run fine with WWB, Blazer & Wolf.

I won't keep a gun that's picky about ammunition brands.

If you enjoyed reading about "What carry ammo is best for Kahrs" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!