One of my co-workers is contemplating firearm ownership

PDA

MacTech
November 4, 2008, 12:33 AM
I guess I've gotten to him, the offers to take him to the range for an intro trip, my talking about the fun I have at the range on the weekends, the pics of groupings from my CZ-75, Kim Custom II, and Ruger 10/22, and the fun I've been having reloading are finally getting him to think about gun ownership in a positive light

He's not an anti, just an agnostic, up until today, he didn't seem to care either way, he basically humored me and my little hobby chatter, he usually declined my range trip offers with a good-natured "naah, I'm afraid I'll like it too much..."

Today, he sent me a link to the Ruger website, with a link to a gun he wants, a P345 in .45 ACP, even though he's never shot a handgun before, let alone a .45, he's become seriously infatuated with that gun, and he's been perusing the used gun online inventory at my local gunshop, luckilly, they have a P345 in near mint condition for around $350.... Once he's set his mind to it, he generally follows through on his wants, so I wouldn't be surprised if he does get that Ruger, or something similar soon

I reccomended that if he was serious, he'd be better off starting with a .22 to get the basics down and for cheap practice, but he had the typical response that the .22 was "too wimpy", I tried to explain the concept of flinching and how starting off with a heavy caliber may not be the best idea to start, yet he's obsessed with the P345

I told him to come to the range this weekend, I'll let him try my CZ-75B and my Kimber Custom II, that way he can experience 9mm and .45ACP, to see which one he likes better, I'd hate to see him get a .45 and end up hating it, I'll let him try some WWB ammo to start in the .45, then load up a mag of my light handloads, I warned him that he'll probably fall in love with the handloads as they're a nice, balanced, very shootable round

And who knows, if he decides to get that Ruger (or any .45 for that matter), I may have created another source for free brass, assuming he doesn't want to get into reloading as well, that is

If you enjoyed reading about "One of my co-workers is contemplating firearm ownership" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
quatin
November 4, 2008, 12:48 AM
I'd say buy what you want. He'll come back to that .22 later on when he gets into guns.

Trebor
November 4, 2008, 03:01 AM
It's hard to get new shooters to buy the gun they "should" get, instead of getting the gun they "want" to get.

Let him buy the Ruger. Take him to the range and show him the basics. If you really want to help him out, find him a local NRA Basic Pistol class or similiar class to really give him a good start.

Follow up by suggesting a range trip from time to time. I'm amazed how many newbies buy a gun and then never shoot it after that first time or two.

Let him shoot your .22's and show him the difference in ammo cost. After awhile he'll figure out on his own that if he really wants to get into shooting a good .22 will "pay for itself" quickly.

gazpacho
November 4, 2008, 03:24 AM
Teach him the four gun rules and the reasoning behind them. If you do that, you will have helped him more than 99% of all people he will meet in his lifetime combined.

JKimball
November 4, 2008, 03:38 AM
He may be interested in gun ownership for self defense purposes more than target shooting. Nothing wrong with that.

Get him some snap caps to work on the flinching thing. (They are good for dry practice, and you can randomly load them in the magazine and watch for a flinch when he hits them during live fire sessions as well.)

Good job getting him interested!

KD5NRH
November 4, 2008, 03:50 AM
Are there .22 conversion kits for the Ruger? IMO, a 1911 with a .22LR conversion is the best of both worlds.

CRITGIT
November 4, 2008, 03:57 AM
Aren't most folks gun agnostics? That's why bashin' 'em based on a perceived political affiliation is so destructive to us all.
Congrats for your efforts with your friend. I agree let him choose...he'll eventually get to rimfires. It's all fun!:) After all it's an easy sell.... isn't it!

CRITGIT

rocinante
November 4, 2008, 07:55 AM
If he gets the bug he will get a 22 soon enough. Shooting a sub 300 buck gun that is accurate all day long for 2 cents a round has appeal.

flor1
November 4, 2008, 09:18 AM
Went to range last weekend women there with her husband and his buddies trying to get her to shoot a38 J frame and couldn't figure out why she didn't like it. Let her shoot my browning with a Ultra-Dot on it she had more fun then alittle kid and was shooting better groups then her husband. tried to buy the gun from me on the spot told her wasn't for sale I think they were on there way to Bass Pro When they left to buy a 22.

BBQLS1
November 4, 2008, 10:06 AM
Who cares that his first is a .45 ACP? It's a very usable round for a handgun. .22? Not so much IMO.

He'll come around to the little rim fire once he catches the bug and learns how much cheaper it is to shoot. :D

SASS#23149
November 4, 2008, 01:13 PM
If you want to really see him grin,buy some Shoot n C targets,and AFTER he is shooting decent groups,put a larger one up and watch while he 'lights it up'.

Ala Dan
November 4, 2008, 01:21 PM
'Bout the only comment I can add is the fact that if indeed your
co-worker is interested in getting unto firearms; well, he/she needs
too act quickly, just in case the DEMO's get another chance to run
the country~! :barf: :eek:

McCain-Palin Today, GET OUT AND VOTE~!

RPCVYemen
November 4, 2008, 02:58 PM
I reccomended that if he was serious, he'd be better off starting with a .22 to get the basics down and for cheap practice, but he had the typical response that the .22 was "too wimpy", I tried to explain the concept of flinching and how starting off with a heavy caliber may not be the best idea to start, yet he's obsessed with the P345

I finally bought a 22 auto because everyone said I needed on. Shooting it just does nothing for me. Zilch. I really enjoy shooting my Blackhawk 45 LC.

Encourage him to buy whatever he wants to shoot.

Mike

mljdeckard
November 4, 2008, 03:35 PM
The 345 isn't too expensive, it's not at all a bad gun, and he likes it. As long as he likes it, he'll enjoy shooting it, why not have him get it? It's not like he's an 8 year-old kid.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
November 4, 2008, 03:39 PM
He'll like the 45. He's a man and a man can handle a 45.

There are also various loads, some hot, some weak in the knees. If he wants, he can have calm loads, or he can have barn burners.

Somewhat milder loads seem to be more accurate than barn burner loads. At least that's been my experience with different calibers.

MikePGS
November 4, 2008, 03:40 PM
The first handgun's i ever shot were .38's and .357's. Only years later did I end up shooting a .22, which was when I was showing a friend from work the basics of shooting. While it certainly is better to start off with a .22, if someone has something set in their mind your usually going to have difficulty dissuading them from that notion. Besides, if you only have one gun, it would probably be better to have a larger caliber anyways.

Lonest@r
November 4, 2008, 04:01 PM
I finally decided to pick up my first gun, a handgun, auto, while I still can, or can afford it atleast. I think many comtemplating gun ownership have had their eyes opened during this election. I'm not neccessarily scared, but I am being prepared. My FFL said he was quoted over phone a 10% increase this month and another 10% increase by end of year on AR15's. Not sure how much of it is actual hype, and how much is it is real... Hopefully revolvers and rifles will not be affected, or atleast not this soon.

Just something to pass along to your agnostic friend...

Larry E
November 4, 2008, 04:26 PM
My wife has shot my P345 and my 1911 and her only complaint is that they're "too heavy". She's not used to holding something of any weight out in front of her, so.... No complaints about recoil. My nephew when he was 9 or 10 unloaded a mag of 9x19's into a dirtbank with his dad and I in close supervision. Biggest grin I've ever seen on a kid's face. Unless recoil is painful I don't think that most people are bothered if they know what to expect.

Mr Crowley
November 4, 2008, 05:10 PM
Maybe he should take a look at the ammo section of his gun store too. IMO there is a big difference between 2 - 5 cents per shot and 25 - 30 cents per shot. A friend just bought a used MarkIII for around 300ish. I bet his whole magazine full of bullets cost less than 1 or 2 of my bullets...They turn your hands green through, so idk.

MacTech
November 14, 2008, 05:36 PM
Just a quick update....

"D'argo" (the co-worker in my OP) Has essentially decided that he's going to be buying that Ruger he was looking at pretty soon, maybe even this weekend...

my other co-worker, "Stark", has also decided that he's also getting a gun, either a Glock, a Sig, or a Ruger, his rationale? "well, if D'argo gets one, I should get one too, after all, *you* (me) own guns, "Jack" owns guns, and I like guns, just never thought of owning one....

And all I did was talk up the fun I have at the range on weekends.....

D'argo even suggested a company shooting party on the weekend.....

Heh, I'm even tempting him with a box of my handloads, telling him if he gets the gun, the first 50 rounds are on me ;)

once he's hooked on shooting, then I'll try to get him hooked on reloading... <evil grin>

mljdeckard
November 14, 2008, 05:40 PM
YOU are the factor that will save our right to keep and bear arms. DON'T STOP.

MacTech
November 14, 2008, 05:58 PM
If in fact D'argo does want to hit the range this weekend, I think I'll bring a few more firearms than I normally do, I generally bring my CZ-75B, and Kimber Custom II, and my Ruger 10/22, the last couple trips, the Ruger's stayed home and I brought my Mosin M-44 instead....

If this is to be a proper intro trip, I'll bring;
H&R single-shot .22 carbine
Ruger 10/22 Carbine
Mosin-Nagant M-44 Carbine (7.62x54R) (Dear Og, I have a thing for Carbines, don't I ;) )
Mossberg 500 12-gauge
CZ-75B (9mm)
Kimber Custom II (.45 ACP)

Maybe;
Winchester 1894 in 44-40 (Dad's old deer rifle)

Heck, even if I don't bring the '94, I'll be driving The Most Heavily-Armed Saturn Ion in Maine, if not New England ;)

The Wiry Irishman
November 14, 2008, 09:31 PM
D'argo and Stark... gotta love the Farscape references.

No Fear
November 14, 2008, 09:42 PM
my other co-worker, "Stark", has also decided that he's also getting a gun, either a Glock, a Sig, or a Ruger, his rationale? "well, if D'argo gets one, I should get one too, after all, *you* (me) own guns, "Jack" owns guns, and I like guns, just never thought of owning one....
Normally I just hate group think but I'll give it a pass in this instance ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "One of my co-workers is contemplating firearm ownership" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!