Sig P239 vs. CZ P01

PDA

1ManAgain
November 4, 2008, 08:33 PM
So...what do you guys think? Assuming they were they same price (which obviously they are not), which would you go with and why? I am looking to use it as a concealed carry piece but, will probably take it to the range every once and a while. I stood at G+nder Mtn for about an hour yesterday staring at these two side by side. I even had the guy behind the counter take them apart. I just can't pick one. I know I can't go wrong with either one but, I'll just have that feeling like I'm missing out if I decide to get one and am not 100% convinced.

Thanks in advance for your input!

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig P239 vs. CZ P01" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
armoredman
November 4, 2008, 08:45 PM
I am a CZ guy, everyone here knows that. I like the SiG 239, good pistol, but very pricey! I amquite fond of my CZ P01, excellent pistola.

Marcus L.
November 4, 2008, 09:16 PM
I've owned both and have put thousands of rounds through both. My preference goes to the Sig. I feel that the design makes a better duty/SD pistol and utilizes better quality materials. I've had a few problems with the CZ such as broken trigger return springs and broken trigger bars, but 9mm Sigs are built like tanks. The extractor design on the Sig is also more durable than the CZ. Compact CZs don't seem to handle large volumes of +P ammunition too well. The full sized CZ 75b has the slide mass to absorb +P ammo recoil much better.

1SOW
November 4, 2008, 09:31 PM
I know I can't go wrong with either one but, I'll just have that feeling like I'm missing out if I decide to get one and am not 100% convinced.

I find myself in sympathy with your last sentence.

I already own and have put several thousand rds through my 9mm 239 without ANY kind of failure. It's tough and accurate.

I own a CZ75B that I also really like. It has been a little touchy about aluminum ammo, needed a little tweaking to improve ejections, and worked a lot better with some action spring changes, and improved greatly with a little trigger work; BUT I still really like this pistol.
I've heard many times that the PO1 is better OOB than the 75B (including MR & Mrs Armoredman). So now I'm back to your first sentence.
I think the answer is to buy both and get to enjoy two really fine guns.

1ManAgain
November 4, 2008, 10:03 PM
"I think the answer is to buy both and get to enjoy two really fine guns. "

You've got me convinced! Now, I've just got to convince my wife! (I think we could have a forum just on this topic. Oh, the conversations we would have.)

So far, I 'feel' like the SIG is built a little better but I'm just in love with the ergonimics of the CZ.

Another input topic...how long will that rubber grip hold up on the CZ?

everallm
November 4, 2008, 10:20 PM
The rubber grip on the CZ range is very durable however if you want the P-01 for concealed carry you might want to swap them for the thin aluminium grips.

http://czcustom.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=57&products_id=516&osCsid=b2b8f96a80ab2af2ca1dc29229ba59de

1ManAgain
November 4, 2008, 10:32 PM
The rubber grip on the CZ range is very durable however if you want the P-01 for concealed carry you might want to swap them for the thin aluminium grips.

Why is that? Does the rubber "grab" clothing and/or snag on the holster?

BlindJustice
November 4, 2008, 10:49 PM
The stock CZ 75B grips are more a hard plastic than rubber, they have an
Ambi-dextrious ledge for the thumb, and below that they have a
palm swell. The 75B and the Compact variants P01, PCR etc, are all
thesame width, 1.4" - same double stack but different length
magazines. THe P239 is a single stack 8 shot and 1.2" width. That's
why many go to the thin grips for ccw with a CZ. The 239 does
have an extended 10 rd mag optional, which could be carried for
a reload. Seems the P239 is more easily concealed.

Randall

Kind of Blued
November 5, 2008, 12:03 AM
I love everything about the 239 except the capacity (or lack thereof). You can get a Kahr that is much thinner, or a .45 that is no thicker in the grip. I really wish they would have utilized that space better.

I don't think you could go wrong with either. I'd suggest getting your meat hooks on both and seeing which one has more "mojo".

grimjaw
November 5, 2008, 01:45 AM
I've owned both. Although the SIG was a fine pistol, I do not feel compelled to sell my CZ PCR to get the SIG back. The only reason I didn't keep my P01 was that I didn't need a light rail.

jm

lechiffre
November 5, 2008, 03:14 AM
if the same price p239
if the sig costs more p239

Pilot
November 5, 2008, 10:01 AM
You're comparing apples to oranges. The P-01 (I prefer the PCR due to no light rail) is a hi capacity double stack 9MM, 14+1, while the 239 is a single stack with only 8+1 capacity.

I have compared the PCR to the Sig P228 which is a fair comparison and have chosen the PCR to carry. Slimmer, lighter, more accurate and higher capacity.

rbernie
November 5, 2008, 10:12 AM
The P239 is WAY too top-heavy and blocky for what it is. I am in the process of selling my P239 in 40S&W simply because I never carry the dang thing.

If I want a light, all-metal single stack 9mm, I carry my P225/P6. If I want to carry a light single stack 9mm, I reach for my Kahr.

The Lone Haranguer
November 5, 2008, 05:23 PM
I have compared the PCR to the Sig P228 which is a fair comparison and have chosen the PCR to carry. Slimmer, lighter, more accurate and higher capacity.
Agreed. Only the somewhat heavy and "creepy" (due to "hammer camming") SA trigger pull keeps it from being quite as accurate in slow fire as the SIG. The short, smooth DA pull is superior to the SIG's and for this reason it is more accurate in rapid fire.

xring
November 8, 2008, 04:29 PM
The 239 is my favorite Sig. I've had a P245 and P228. The 239 is the only one left. A little bulky for a single stack, and a bit heavy, but really accurate and handles recoil well. Haven't had the pleasure of owning a PO1. The CZ has a well deserved reputation for quality.

Radjxf
November 10, 2008, 05:25 PM
P239 for me. More accurate in my hands, build quality seems better, trigger is WAY better than any unmodified CZ I've seen.
CZ is certainly more ergonomic, but that's it IMO.

MechAg94
November 10, 2008, 08:38 PM
My P01 has been very reliable and a very good pistol in the short time I have had it. It sort of feels like you are carrying a little ball of steel in your hand. It feels very rugged.

I like the decocker on the P01 that rotates clockwise and is very easy to manipulate with the thumb.

The trigger on mine isn't bad, just different. I was able to shoot it just as well as my P220 (I don't own a P239). The trigger does have a bit of a harder feel to it. My P220 trigger feels smoother.

I don't know which one is better for buying spare mags. Cheaperthandirrt has CZ75 compact mags with the rubber bottom that are MecGar and work great. Everyone else I saw was either more expensive or I had to order the rubber mag bottoms separately.

1ManAgain
November 12, 2008, 09:05 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. After considerable "scientific" research and reading hours of "unbiased" reviews, I've chosen the Sig P239. The grip doesn't feel as good as the CZ but it's a micron smaller and the over all quality seems better. But, most importantly,there is just something about the SIG that makes me feel more comfortable relying on it.

What's really interesting is that after all of the effort I've put into this my wife and I walk into our local gun shop and look at a few guns under the glass. We have the guy pull out a few for her to look at. Meanwhile, our 4 year old son has to go to the bathroom so I take him and when I come back my wife is filling out papers for a new Beretta PX4.:what: There's definetely a lot that I like about this pistol but we hadn't done any research on it at all. I like the rolling pin safety and the ergonimics are good. It's a bit large for a concealed carry pistol but, I'm sure it will function well for her. Overall, though, what do you guys think about the Beretta PX4 as compared to the other two mentioned in this thread?

jhco
November 12, 2008, 09:09 PM
239 hands down my reasons
1 its a sig
2 its thin grip
3 more ergonomic
4 it looks better imo
5 its not a CZ
6 its easier to conceal imo
7 you can get it in the dehorned version if you like that kind of thing

armoredman
November 12, 2008, 09:31 PM
See what happens when you leave them alone with the checkbook! :) But, at least she bought a gun! That's why I love my wife, too.
I have a buddy with a PX4, he loves it, best testimonial I can do for you.

1ManAgain
November 12, 2008, 10:19 PM
Cool beaners. It feels pretty good. I really like all of the features but, it's just a bit bulkier than the SIG. I guess I just can't help it. I'm like a 16 year old kid again drooling over that senior cheerleader from the first row. I'm kinda excited to get the PX4 to the range, though. I'll let you all know how it goes and how I think it compares to the SIG.

KegCommando
November 13, 2008, 01:21 AM
I'll say that the PX4 is a great piece for your wife.

It has the following characteristics that I think are very good for woman:

1.) Probably the easiest to rack slide i've seen out of the box. So probably even with poor technique, no problem for women.

2.) The rotating barrel reduces felt recoil.

3.) IMHO it is pretty ergonomic. Feels great. The CZ felt great to me too, but the PX4 has the added plus it has interchangeable backstraps.

Dunno about CCW, but I don't believe your wife will be disappointed with her choice.

TMann
November 13, 2008, 02:30 AM
I own a CZ75B that I also really like. It has been a little touchy about aluminum ammo, needed a little tweaking to improve ejections, and worked a lot better with some action spring changes, and improved greatly with a little trigger work; BUT I still really like this pistol.

Pardon my ignorance, but in what way does aluminum ammo behave differently than brass? I ask this question, because my 75b has been having FTEs with some aluminum cased Blazer 9mm. It surprised me, as I had never had problems with this gun before. When I went back to the brass cased S&B ammo, the 75b reverted to its normal flawless behavior.

TMann

Curiousity
November 13, 2008, 04:15 AM
You chose a Mercedes over a Cadillac... Not good...

MK11
November 13, 2008, 03:56 PM
Mercedes? The Sig actually runs. Good choice.

The Lone Haranguer
November 13, 2008, 05:52 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but in what way does aluminum ammo behave differently than brass? I ask this question, because my 75b has been having FTEs with some aluminum cased Blazer 9mm.
So did my PCR compact. I can only speculate, but it may be the lighter weight of the case, clinging excessively to the chamber walls at the moment of firing, or the extractor groove shape.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig P239 vs. CZ P01" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!