Everybody relax.

PDA

harmonic
November 5, 2008, 10:32 AM
I'll post these random thoughts before the thread gets locked.

We're disturbed by an Obama presidency, but we've had some very bad times before. We made it through.

I had close friends who lived during the Great Depression. It was hard, but they did ok and made it through.

I had close friends who fought in World War 2. (My father was in Patton's Third Army.) If you've read history, you know there were many times it looked liked we were going to lose that war. But we made it through.

I remember when Kennedy got shot. Things looked extremely bad, but we made it through.

I remember the rioting in the streets re the Vietnam war. America was tearing herself apart. But we survived.

I remember Watergate and Nixon's resignation. We survived.

Remember the Carter presidency? Interest was 25%. America was being bullied by Iran. We gave away the Panama Canal. We survived.

9/11 and everybody is frightened again. We survived.

Bad times happen but America is a very resilient lady. We improvise. We adapt. We overcome. (Where have I heard that before?)

You're going to be ok, regardless.

The best thing we can do now is get busy. Stop spending time worrying about how things "might" be. Develop the habit of writing your Congressman. Regardless of how bad Obama might be, he can't do much without Congress. Let them know how you feel about gun control.

They believe that for every letter they receive, it represents 17 people who didn't bother to write.

And the most important thing you can do at this time is to join the NRA. Say what you will, they are the most potent voice we have in Congress.

God bless you all.

If you enjoyed reading about "Everybody relax." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Coyote3855
November 5, 2008, 10:37 AM
Well said. Thank for your wise words.

grilledcheese
November 5, 2008, 10:38 AM
Excellent post. I concur.

Jeffrey

Hk91-762mm
November 5, 2008, 10:42 AM
And there is no reason this board should ban /lock post like this -!!!!!!!
We are in deep do doo !
I worry the gun owneres will not stand and protect our rights --Im late 50s and I have seen This country go down every year since the 60s.
Where can we go discuss this subject that wont get banned --Locked -or deleated -????????
PM me !

hags
November 5, 2008, 10:44 AM
Sure, but we've had hard economic times before '73-'74 and '79-'80, some would argue those were worse than today.
The majority of Americans can't see past the last 6-8 years.

Not sure how this thread is gun related but I can tell you that not a single distributor I've called this morning has more than a handfull of ARs left in stock and the situation with the 30 mags is not much better.

Real or perceived, that's not good for our "gun" community. Demand goes up, prices go up and supply goes down, for what?

harmonic
November 5, 2008, 11:01 AM
Not sure how this thread is gun related

Join the NRA. I, personally, became complacent and let my membership lapse. I'm going to the Wanamacher show this weekend and, among other things, am going to renew my membership.

We've got a dangerous man coming into the White House. We can wring our hands or we can get busy. I say "screw 'em!" I'm getting busy.

texas chase
November 5, 2008, 11:06 AM
Good post. Thanks for some positive thinking.

Loyalist Dave
November 5, 2008, 11:08 AM
REMEMBER at least that the Supreme Court made it tougher for the Chief Executive or Congress to mess with the 2nd Amendment. THOUGH not impossible so stay alert!.

LD

Vonderek
November 5, 2008, 11:10 AM
Nice sentiments but since this is a gunboard I hate to throw cold water on you. Left-wing Democrats to control both houses of Congress and the White House and maybe appoint up to three activist Supreme Court Justices. All beholden to radical special interest groups who put them in power and all committed to a gun-free America.

No thanks, I won't relax.

Gunfighter123
November 5, 2008, 11:11 AM
It is very hard to stay calm today. As the OP posted --- we will tough thru this. JOIN THE NRA TODAY !!!

hso
November 5, 2008, 11:11 AM
Well said.

Panic wrecks effective planning and participation. Instead we should recommit to roll up our sleeves and get to work supporting RKBA organizations and working to add to the ranks of shooters. Don't give into defeatist thought. If you're upset, don't let it paralyze you. Use it to get up off the couch and join the folks that want to work.

Headless chickens flap and run around a lot, but inevitably end up in the stew pot.

jcwit
November 5, 2008, 11:22 AM
Because the "GUN ISSUE" is a political issue is all the more reason for politics to be discussed. However most of the gun boards force us to bury our heads in the sand while our rights disappear. Makes no sense to me, but at least no one gets "offended" this way. There I've said how I feel, flame away if you must, however by now its to late for any "change" in the election. Thank God the NRA stays politically active.

harmonic
November 5, 2008, 11:23 AM
we should recommit to roll up our sleeves and get to work supporting RKBA organizations

Hear, hear!

Other than the NRA, which ones are effective?

230RN
November 5, 2008, 11:34 AM
Hk91-762mm

I worry the gun owners will not stand and protect our rights --I'm late 50s and I have seen this country go down every year since the 60s.

Ditto on that, and as someone else said, Americans can't seem to remember anything past the last 6 years -- not even how clothing styles keep cycling.

The sub-threshold incremental attacks on our freedoms and subsequent acceptance of the status quo as "the way things should be" has led us to this point today --where someone posts about how "we made it through," and where Fudd Gun Club members cannot understand that 2A is not about their skeet shooting.

We didn't "make it through." Anti-firearms attitudes and laws have grown apace since 1934, and indeed since the Sullivan Act in New York in the twenties.

No.

We did not "make it through."

And vonderek is 100% right.

I'm going to root through my closet now for one of my old wide ties.

RKBABob
November 5, 2008, 11:37 AM
Hey, the sun still rose this morning...
squirrels were playing in the trees...
the world didn't end after all!

Now lets all go about our lives as we normally would...
supporting the causes we normally would...
watching the issues we normally would...
and taking the actions we normally would.

Enjoy your life, the world will still be here tomorrow.

harmonic
November 5, 2008, 11:42 AM
Im late 50s and I have seen This country go down every year since the 60s.

We still have our guns. After JFK was shot, there was tremendous impetus in Congress to eliminate the private ownership of guns. They succeeded in hindering us, but we got around their draconian restrictions. We've still got our guns.

Clinton instituted the AWB and we suffered some inconveniences. But we starting writing and joining (the NRA, et al), and we've still got our guns.

What people fail to realize is that in the lifetime of everybody in America, there has been a constant effort to eliminate the private ownership of firearms. But thanks to the efforts of gun owners with heart, we still have our guns.

Some point out that local municipalities like Chicago and New York haven't fared well, and bodes ill for all of us. Nonsense. Their laws are local. Not federal.

We're talking about national laws, and those we can beat. This battle is far from over.

harmonic
November 5, 2008, 11:44 AM

Absolutely not. Let's get mad and then get busy. The best thing we can do is to give $$$$$$$ to organizations that support the 2nd.

Justin
November 5, 2008, 11:45 AM
Because the "GUN ISSUE" is a political issue is all the more reason for politics to be discussed. However most of the gun boards force us to bury our heads in the sand while our rights disappear.

If most of the people who posted on gun boards were actually interested in effecting change through activism, had anything approaching a well-informed or nuanced political view, or the understanding of the government possessed by the average 8th grader in a civics class, and weren't prone to making idiotic ice-cream-commando "from my cold dead hands" statements, perhaps we'd actually allow political discussions.

Ala Dan
November 5, 2008, 11:49 AM
Looking at the situation thru O'bamas eyes-

his first Supreme Court appointment could be the leading lady-

Hillary Clinton

which would prove too be a dangerous move for
every gun owner~! From here, she could (and
most likely would) wreak havoc on the N.R.A. :eek:

Justin
November 5, 2008, 11:49 AM
Clinton instituted the AWB and we suffered some inconveniences.

An "inconvenience" is having to take an alternate route because of road construction.

Maybe I'm overly tetchy this morning, but possible felony convictions for owning stamped sheet-metal boxes rises above the level of mere "inconvenience."

jcwit
November 5, 2008, 11:50 AM
Well Justin, I guess you've got me there. However when Charlenton Heston said the phrase it gave a very powerful message. And you've got to admit it did band the NRA membership together for one purpose.

230RN
Mixed messages, harmonic.

Thread title "Everybody relax."

Then:

Absolutely not. Let's get mad and then get busy.

Yes, get mad. Yes, join RKBA organizations. But don't relax.

J23
A big PLUS ONE +1 for 230 RN.

alex9328
November 5, 2008, 11:51 AM
I only forsee disturbing times ahead, because our youth are not taught the American System of private rights and Liberty.

You see it everday in the news of some citizen losing his or her property for the greater good and the courts not slamming the governing bodies that passes laws that take away heritage and inheritence. Cities and Counties taxing you out of your home.

People requesting a fair wage, Never defining a fair wage. I work everday when I feel my boss is not paying me what I think I am worth I am gone. I am free to make that choice, Not some Union forcing someone to pay me. I agree that some regulation are needed, but over regulation of an Industry or individual hinders freedom.

If person thinks that goverment will solve your problems, all it will do is inslave you. The days ahead are dark and I do not believe the voters will be able to vote these crooks out and the damage they will cause will only further take our country towards are death of Freedom. The Polictial Class has sold America out for their own greed.

Respectfully, Alejandro Longoria

lordgroom
November 5, 2008, 11:52 AM
I for one am committed to writing my representatives to share my opinions, despite the fact that I live in a state that is very liberal and anti-gun. I will make my voice heard. I am a member of the NRA and will renew when it is up. Though there is a discount offered to members of this site I do not plan to use the discount... I plan to pay the full membership price of the NRA so as not to short change their efforts. This is the least I can do. I know I can donate too if it falls within my budget.

I think we need to approach this in a relaxed manner because an overly dramatic response is not always the most productive response. While I may relax my anxiety, I do not plan to relax my efforts.

indoorsoccerfrea
November 5, 2008, 11:54 AM
I have already written my state reps, I think everyone should do the same. Lets show them that while remaining respectable and law abiding citizens we want our guns to remain ours.

Babbalanja
November 5, 2008, 11:58 AM
The OP sound's like Eleanor Porter from the grave. A list of some past difficulties and how we survived them is no encouragement to this man. Past experience does not imbue the present or future with any sort of immunity. The past is not an indication of the future. Because we "survived" a president's assassination 40 years ago has nothing to do with the continued viability of this diseased nation. As difficult as it is to accept, we are in precipitous decline and my NRA membership - current I might add - will do nothing to alter the fact, and I see that withdrawal would be better than activity, for at least I could spend my resources on something that is personally meaningful. My vote yesterday had a 1 in 60,000,000 chance of deciding the next president and like a fool I took 30 minutes to walk to the American Legion Hall to endure the cackling of the geriatric volunteers to cast a meaningless vote. Democracy requires an educated and informed populace. Spinoza, Aristotle, Shopenhauer, Melville, and every luminary through time have known this. Democracy is dead. We each will follow.

indoorsoccerfrea
November 5, 2008, 12:02 PM
If you think voting is meaningless, consider this. If everyone had that opinion, no one would vote. Don't be a doomsday prophet. Democracy is not dead.

Deer Hunter
November 5, 2008, 12:06 PM
Relaxing is a sign of lazyness.

Everyone should have written their congressmen or senators by now. If not, then get off your lazy ass and do something.

I hate to say it, but justin is right. If more people would simply be better versed in politics, economy, etc and do something constructive for the cause, things will turn out just fine. However, a bunch of chicken littles that can't keep the credit card in their pocket before "bad" elections don't help us out one bit.

hso
November 5, 2008, 01:16 PM
I don't think the OP means "relax, nothing to worry about". Instead I read his post as don't "panic", "freak out", "go nuts", "cop a defeatist attitude".

We've weathered tough times by keeping our powder dry and rolling up our sleeves and working through the tough times.

Some may not consider this realistic on the whole, but there's little question that panic helps when you're in this sort of battle.

Frog48
November 5, 2008, 01:22 PM
I had close friends who lived during the Great Depression. It was hard, but they did ok and made it through.

No we didnt "make it through it"... The Depression conditioned the country into accepting the "New Deal" and FDR's power grab. The economy may have recovered, but we still feel the consequences of FDR's subversion of the Constitution today.

SoCalShooter
November 5, 2008, 01:25 PM
Agreed but I am still going to stock up a little :)

Tommygunn
November 5, 2008, 01:29 PM
Everybody relax.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll post these random thoughts before the thread gets locked.

We're disturbed by an Obama presidency, but we've had some very bad times before. We made it through.

I had close friends who fought in World War 2. (My father was in Patton's Third Army.) If you've read history, you know there were many times it looked liked we were going to lose that war. But we made it through.......

And the most important thing you can do at this time is to join the NRA. Say what you will, they are the most potent voice we have in Congress.

God bless you all.

Well, nice sentiments. Noble sentiments, in fact.
I hate to be the fly in the ointment, but I have to wonder how many "hits" America & freedom can take and remain viable.
This country is not immortal.
The Spartans thought they were ....
The Greeks thought they were ......
The Romans thought they were .....

And some people think America will last forever.

Nothing lasts forever.

Sorry. I hate to be such a downer ... but I am tired of looking for the silver lining in the dark clouds and getting rained on and zapped by lightning bolts.

harmonic
November 5, 2008, 01:36 PM
We've weathered tough times by keeping our powder dry and rolling up our sleeves and working through the tough times.

Exactly. In fact, it's been our historical battles that have made us strong.

doc540
November 5, 2008, 01:38 PM
I'm both an eternal optimist and a student of history, and I don't recall a threat to our nation as significant as a suitcase nuke.

If Clinton, for political considerations, refused to defuse Bin Laden with a surgical strike early on in the game, I have no confidence that Obama will act with more courage and character to avoid a catastrophy of bibilical proportions. He has demonstrated neither to date.

The lack of a moral compass combined with a perceived right to entitlements may very well be the end of our brief experiment in democratic governement.

As noble and right as we think ourselves to be, we're but the blink of an eye in the history of mankind.

The only "guarantee" in which I find solace is the faith, hope, and promise of an eternal life after this coat becomes dust.

In that I can relax.

harmonic
November 5, 2008, 01:44 PM

Nothing lasts forever.

True. We're not talking forever. The "forever" battles belong to the future.

We're talking about fighting the battles at hand. And these battles can be won. We can win them.

You're forgetting something. The gun grabber's objective has always been to completely disarm Americans. That's their goal. That has been the motivation behind every single gun limiting law they've passed.

Screw 'em. They've lost. We still have guns.

Sorry. I hate to be such a downer ... but I am tired of looking for the silver lining in the dark clouds and getting rained on and zapped by lightning bolts.

I'm not saying there's a silver lining. A silver lining is something good in what appears to be bleak.

I'm saying we need to get busy and fight these SOBs. Money talks and BS walks.

Beatnik
November 5, 2008, 01:57 PM
Poppycock.

Examine the results. Obama won because people voted for him. McCain lost because his strategy was to get people to vote against Obama, as opposed to getting people to vote for McCain.

The NRA has also been using this same strategy ever since I've been paying attention. Don't ever go positive. Don't give us someone to support. Don't actually do more than it takes to scare everyone into keeping you in power.

Both the NRA and the major parties have been using this strategy for 20 years.
Obama won because the democrats broke the strategy and got people to vote for a candidate. Not because they voted against McCain. Learn that lesson, people! We lost, and will continue to lose until we have someone to vote FOR.

There were fourteen Republican candidates, and regarding the gun issue, we got the third worst out of the lot. And he didn't win. Surprise, surprise.

The damage is done. It's time to get away from the damage control strategy.

jgh4445
November 5, 2008, 02:07 PM
Remember Burke's quote? Well its time to stop doing nothing. No one else is going to do this for us. We should have leaned that last night. The time to prepare for the 2012 election is NOW. The mid term elections are only two years away! Start working now. Call and write your Senators and Representatives. Be proactive!

againstthagrane
November 5, 2008, 02:09 PM
you're crazy. i'm going to go stock up on jugs of water, batteries, ammo and aluminum foil. ;) :neener:

RP88
November 5, 2008, 02:25 PM
I think one thing we need to consider is that - when everything looked like it was going to be close to over - we actually won back lost rights. Be it a fluke, or the perfect storm of failed politics, the AWB was left to wither for four years. Heller then came along and gave us some sort of foothold, no matter how slippery it may be at this time.

I think that is one thing we need to look at: for the first time in probably ever...we won a big deal of our gun rights back in 2004, for whatever reasons.

Maybe we can keep going if we actually do the work mentioned.

Tommygunn
November 5, 2008, 04:11 PM
You're forgetting something. The gun grabber's objective has always been to completely disarm Americans. That's their goal. That has been the motivation behind every single gun limiting law they've passed.

Screw 'em. They've lost. We still have guns.

Oh, don't think I've forgotten that at all.

We still have guns .... for now.
Should we have a gun ban .. or some similar law, AWB, whatever .... how far will we go in defending our right to keep them?:confused:

moooose102
November 5, 2008, 04:47 PM
Absolutely not. Let's get mad and then get busy.

I AGREE! if we sit on our bottoms and relax, our guns, and rights are going to go bye-bye! we ALL need to work HARD, and TOGETHER FOR A COMMON CAUSE! KEEPING OUR GUNS, AND OUR RIGHTS! "all that evil needs to triumph, is for good men to do nothing". i do not know who said that, but you had better believe that this is the case when it comes to your guns fellas! i dont know it the NRA is the right place to go, but it is definitly a start. and we have to start somewhere. and we have to start now, before their wheels start rolling.

mbt2001
November 5, 2008, 04:52 PM
Join NRA and / or GOA and your state group (TSRA or the like).

Nothing lasts forever.

Yeah, that is true, but you don't lose it in one day and if we don't make a stand every time we get a chance, we will lose the ability to stand at all. Get involved, use the system to win, reform it where you have to.

2nd 41
November 5, 2008, 05:06 PM
Well said..Thanks Harmonic

meanmotorscooter
November 5, 2008, 05:32 PM
In honor of our new president elect, I will be exercising my 2nd amendment rights by adding something new to my collection very soon. I suggest you do the same.

KINGMAX
November 5, 2008, 05:40 PM
Now is the time ALL Americans pull together for the sake of this GREAT country. That is the way it works, in good times or bad. God Bless us all.

camslam
November 5, 2008, 07:31 PM
I voted for Obama and am quite pleased. There are many positive things that this President will bring to the table that many gun owners don't currently realize.

I realize that we are supposed to keep things High Road, but come on..... (Edited as to not offend the delicate sensibilities found here on THR. )

I don't care if you love Obama and voted for him, but please don't insult my intelligence by making a claim that Obama will bring to the table many positive things for gun owners. It seems there are a certain number of regular posters here on THR that refuse to accept that Obama is bad for gun rights.

I don't believe they are stupid.
I don't believe they are misled.
I don't believe they can't read.
I don't believe they can't hear.

So I guess at the end of it all, I have to sincerely ask, "what are you talking about?" Why do you continue to misrepresent Obama's record, comments, and agenda when it comes to gun rights? :banghead:

For those of you that say relax, the sky is not falling, etc... You're right, the world is not ending. But I will tell you one thing, gun rights are always under attack in this country because of jackass liberals and their irrational fears of guns and violence. Under Obama, with Pelosi, Reid, Clinton, Durbin, Kerry, Schumer, McCarthy, Blogevich, Biden, Lautenburg, Boxer, Feinstein, etc... We are in for a wild ride.

I'll relax when we stop seeing anti-gun legislation being passed in various states around our country every year.

Those that minimize the threats to the 2nd amendment need to move to New York, New Jersey, Illinois, Wisconsin, **********, Hawaii, or Washington DC, and then you can tell us how gun rights are not under fire in this country.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeesh, I get sick of reading asinine comments from gun owners about the status of gun rights in the country. :banghead:

FLA2760
November 5, 2008, 07:36 PM
I am an NRA life member. I joined Gun Owners Of America today.

JBURGII
November 5, 2008, 08:07 PM
Now that the vote is over, I have relaxed a bit and know what I have to do. Prepare. Sure, everyone needs to become pro-active and do contact your representitives. Start or join pro 2A groups. Strive to direct our Federation back on track. Responsible gun ownership and trade has got to continue.
I will be looking to add to my collection like many of you and hope beyond hope that they are just for that.. collecting and enjoying. But, just in case... keep em oiled...

J

Big Daddy Grim
November 5, 2008, 08:10 PM
Stand furm good post we will survive

Starship1st
November 5, 2008, 08:22 PM
As a gun owner I will never give up nor surender my guns. :cool:

prickett
November 5, 2008, 08:55 PM
My entire family joined the NRA last week. I encourage everyone to join their entire family (they have a $10 associate membership). Folks, we need NUMBERS.

hso
November 5, 2008, 08:57 PM
Let's try to stay on track with the thread.

GD
November 5, 2008, 09:06 PM
The right to keep and bear arms has nothing to do with the 2nd amendment or who is in office. The right is God-given and only requires that you exercise it when needed.

230RN
November 5, 2008, 09:24 PM
^
The Lord giveth and the politicians taketh away.

And you can't vote for the Lord.

wyocarp
November 5, 2008, 09:52 PM
I think the only people who can relax are the poor, poverty stricken, welfare and food stamp recipients who don't ever really anticipate a change in their financial status.

The rest of us need to stay very alert. And possibly prepare for war.

newkahrman
November 5, 2008, 09:59 PM
Add 1 more. I cannot relax.

jeephistorian
November 5, 2008, 10:05 PM
Another point: Write to your congress critter. Don't write to the Republicans, write to them all. On nice paper in a nice envelope. They ignore email. Real letters get attention.

Next, write your newspapers. Compose clear concise arguments for why defending the 2nd amendment is akin to defending all of the amendments. Weaken one amendment and you may as well weaken them all.

Next, and this one is the hardest (I've done it and it is VERY hard). Contact local gun control groups and join them. Approach them carefully. No matter what, don't lose your patience. They are genuinely afraid of guns. Not gun owners, but guns. They really do fear them. Befriend them and help them learn that guns are not any more dangerous than other sports, teach them about the importance and history of the amendments (all of them). Help them see how dangerous weakening any one of them could be to the others.

and lastly... bring more people into the hobby. One of the greatest failings of the pro gun movement is the exclusivity we create. My local gun club REQUIRES NRA membership to join. That's nice and admirable, but it makes us look cultish. They should have levels of membership, perhaps a beginner level so that these new gunners can learn to enjoy the hobby, to be taught at their pace rather than forced into the fight. Give them time and they'll step up, but if we force them, they may decide it isn't worth it and walk away before the love is really found.

Oh, and to really throw fuel on the fire....

Find out what they are fighting to protect and relate it. For instance (and this one will scare a lot of us).... abortion. A lot of pro-life advocates state that abortion kills innocents and should be outlawed. A lot of anti-gun advocates state thate guns kill innocents and should be outlawed. See the connection? It is important to weigh all of your beliefs and decide which ones are the most important. If one conflicts with another, don't be surprised if another person doesn't see reason when you too won't accept it.

Hard work ahead of us.... God speed to all.

My 2 cents

Fritz

Guitargod1985
November 5, 2008, 11:53 PM
I only forsee disturbing times ahead, because our youth are not taught the American System of private rights and Liberty.

You hit the nail on the head there, bro.

ETA: I, too, have let my NRA membership lapse and will be renewing shortly.

missin44
November 6, 2008, 10:14 AM
We survived Bush II, we'll survive this. The sky is not falling, we can lay this loss (assuming you didn't support Obama) directly at the feet of George Bush.

Mannlicher
November 6, 2008, 10:18 AM
harmonicWe're disturbed by an Obama presidency, but we've had some very bad times before. We made it through.

if the thought of a marxist President that feels the Constitution is flawed, supports terrorists, who's wife hates America, who's Minister and mentor hates America, and that has consistantly scored as the most liberal member of the Senate, and that plans to bankrupt our Energy system, gut the military, and bow down to the UN does not scare you, then .............

ihatesnow
November 6, 2008, 10:43 AM
Everyone needs to watch the south park episode that was on last night.

frankcostanza
November 6, 2008, 10:53 AM
In my opinion, this is not the end of the world - although Im really bummed about BHO being elected. As many others have already pointed out, we as a nation have survived a lot. As far as the Obama presidency is concerned... its a skidmark on the underwear of Conservative America. We just have to put up with the stink and with much chagrin and embarrassment, wear our poop stained undies until 2012 when we can throw them in the laundry.

Its already been stated by many people, but at this point the best thing we can do to turn this country around, not only to preserve the 2nd Amendment but liberty as a whole, is get involved locally and elect good, upright people with true conservative values and once they are in office, contact them often. Let them know that 2nd Amendment issues are a priority to you.

Vonderek
November 6, 2008, 02:38 PM
England has survived a lot over the years as well. Survival alone will not do.

Dave Workman
November 6, 2008, 02:55 PM
In addition to the NRA, I suggest everyone who can make a donation to the Second Amendment Foundation and the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

SAF will probably be up to its armpits in federal lawsuits (they have a couple going right now, Chicago and Washington State) over gun rights.
CCRKBA is a grassroots bunch working with local groups.

FLA2760
November 6, 2008, 03:09 PM
Well, now that Obama is our next President what will the future be for gun owners? Obama has stated that he will be in the middle. I find little encouragement in those words when you look at his past record of voting on gun issues. We have our work cut out for us. I have been a NRA life member for a while now and I joined Gun Owners Of America yesterday as well. I would encourage others to join organizations that are fighting for your right to keep and bear arms. Here is an article from the GOA website. Godspeed to our Nation.

http://www.gunowners.org/a110508.htm

qajaq59
November 6, 2008, 04:39 PM
If most of the people who posted on gun boards were actually interested in effecting change through activism, had anything approaching a well-informed or nuanced political view, or the understanding of the government possessed by the average 8th grader in a civics class, and weren't prone to making idiotic ice-cream-commando "from my cold dead hands" statements, perhaps we'd actually allow political discussions.
Don't hold your breath waiting for that day.

Tommy Gun
November 7, 2008, 09:34 PM
Is the "High Road" the do nothing road? There are other boards to hang on.

Get involved with your local gun rites group and support the NRA. I say lets get active!

Tommy Gun
November 8, 2008, 04:36 AM
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=4226

Election 2008 and the Long Road Ahead

Friday, November 07, 2008

The 2008 elections are over, and America has spoken. While many of the results were not what we hoped for, this year’s election does show how NRA members have truly changed politics in America.

Across the country, from the presidential race, to the U.S. Senate and House, to state legislative races, one thing was missing this year: ads proudly proclaiming candidates' anti-gun credentials.

The gun control lobby must be distressed that many Democratic gains occurred only because the party has run so far from the gun control issue. While they fondly look back to how actively Bill Clinton campaigned for gun control in 1992 and 1996, they also remember the lesson that gun owners taught an anti-gun Congress in 1994, Al Gore in 2000, and John Kerry in 2004. This was a lesson taught by the National Rifle Association that has changed the politics of our issue across the country.

This year was the next step in the Democratic Party's evolution, in which their candidate with a radical anti-gun record spent tens of millions of dollars to paint himself as a supporter of Second Amendment rights. He also spent millions recruiting phony surrogates like the American Hunters and Shooters Association, and making bogus phone calls in which Obama supporters claimed the NRA had endorsed their candidate.

Yet despite NRA members’ valiant work to cut through the spin, economic concerns were the primary factor in John McCain and Sarah Palin's loss. Barack Obama and Joe Biden will take oaths to uphold the Constitution, but we know by their deeds and their words that they believe the Second Amendment rights of American citizens must be severely restricted.

We know the people Obama will appoint to his cabinet and to other federal offices will be almost universally anti-gun. Obama’s selection of Rahm Emanuel as his chief of staff is a perfect example of the hostility the Obama White House will have for gun owners’ rights. Emanuel, now an anti-gun congressman from Illinois, was once described as the Clinton administration’s "point man on gun control."

Below the presidential level, Republicans did not fare well. However, the Second Amendment fared far better. In fact, many of the pro-gun Republicans who lost their races were replaced by pro-gun Democrats.

That being said, we can and should expect significant challenges at both federal and state level.

While our opponents are claiming victory for their anti-gun agenda, it is a hollow claim. All across America, pro-gun candidates ran proudly on their records and their beliefs, while anti-gun candidates spent millions to hide their true positions. Now the American people will have the opportunity to judge Obama, Biden and others who lied to them about their anti-gun records. They promised to protect our rights. We will all see the truth when they fail to live up to those promises.

The threats to our rights under Barack Obama are real. If we are going to protect those rights, we have to start work now, preparing for legislative, executive and regulatory assaults at every level of government. Some will be open attacks, such as reintroduction of the Clinton gun ban. Others will be stealthier, such as unleashing the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to harass even more gun dealers and force them out of business. Regardless of how they attack our rights, we will have to respond.

Your support for NRA is going to be more important than ever. We have to be ready to hold every legislator accountable. Every elected official who ran with the support of gun owners needs to know we expect them to live up to their commitment to protect our rights. They need to hear from us often, and we cannot let them forget where we stand, or think that we are not paying close attention. And they need to know that as long as they continue to stand with us, we will continue to stand with them.

More than ever before in your life or in the life of our nation, you need to send a message to every member of the U.S. House and Senate, every federal judge, every entrenched gun-hating bureaucrat, every legislator in your home state, and every enemy of freedom.

You need to send the message that you’re standing tall with the NRA for the next four years and that, as Charlton Heston said, it is "We the People" who rule this country, not the politicians and not the media, and we will protect our cherished freedoms. Standing together, we will fight and we will prevail.

sturmgewehr
November 8, 2008, 09:19 AM
I have no doubt we'll survive. That's not at issue here. We're going to survive without semi-auto rifles, without 30 round magazines, and with entire classes of weapons banned. Once the new law passes, it won't sunset and we won't be able to undo it. The NRA won't do anything to repeal a new assault weapons ban, we learned that last time around. And we'll likely never have a pro-gun Republican super majority that could force a repeal through Congress in our lifetime.

I know America will still be here in 4 years, we'll just be far less free and our gun rights will be once again gutted - this time for good.

sturmgewehr
November 8, 2008, 09:23 AM
Address Gun Violence in Cities: As president, Barack Obama would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade. Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals who shouldn't have them. They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent, as such weapons belong on foreign battlefields and not on our streets.

http://change.gov/agenda/urbanpolicy/

A new gun ban is Obama's top priority according to his website.

PRM
November 8, 2008, 09:34 AM
Deleted

sturmgewehr
November 8, 2008, 09:47 AM
Gun Owners of America E-Mail Alert
8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102, Springfield, VA 22151
Phone: 703-321-8585 / FAX: 703-321-8408
http://www.gunowners.org

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Based on his voting record in the Illinois state senate and in the
U.S. Senate, President-elect Barack Obama will be the most
anti-Second Amendment president in the history of America.

In January, the new President will govern alongside congressional
leadership, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader
Harry Reid, who are also extremely hostile to gun rights and who now
enjoy greatly expanded majorities.

There can be little doubt about the direction in which gun rights are
headed. The questions are how far will the anti-gunners go and how
fast will they move?

Many comparisons have been made to the first two years of the first
Clinton Administration, in which one party controlled both ends of
Pennsylvania Avenue.

Almost all experts agree that it was Clinton's overreaching on issues
like gun control that cost his party control of Congress. Barack
Obama will start out governing with even larger majorities than did
Clinton.

Obama ran a campaign high on rhetoric and short on specifics. The
President-elect claims he will govern from the middle, but the
question for gun owners is which Obama will show up at the White
House -- the "centrist" from the campaign trail, or the radical
anti-Second Amendment extremist who supports gun bans, waiting
periods for firearm purchases, one gun a month restrictions, and
more?

His party's large gains in the Congress give the incoming President
more room to maneuver with a radical agenda.

An equally important question is the outlook for gun rights in the
new Congress. That Obama will sign any anti-gun bill that gets to
his desk is a certainty. But what can gun owners expect from the new
Congress?

Hopes of Congressional restraint on gun issues dimmed with each
election return as Pelosi's and Reid's majorities grew to historic
proportions.

While there are many moderately pro-gun Democrats in Congress,
they're not the ones calling the shots. The leadership is completely
in the anti-gun camp, so expanding their majority would have a
negative impact on gun rights regardless of who filled those seats.

Unfortunately, though, many seats that flipped parties also went from
strong pro-gun to strong anti-gun. Gun owners suffered heavy losses
in the Senate. Here's a look at five Senate seats that switched
parties (all switches went from Republican to Democrat).

Colorado -- The retirement of A-rated Senator Wayne Allard set up a
battle between anti-gun Rep. Mark Udall and pro-gun former Rep. Bob
Schaffer. This is one of three senate seats that flipped from
"A" to
"F."

New Hampshire -- Pro-gun Senator John Sununu was defeated by F-rated
former governor Jeanne Shaheen, another "A" to "F" shift.

New Mexico -- Long-time Senator Pete Domenici, who was D-rated and
usually voted against gun owners, was replaced by F-rated Congressman
Tom Udall. Udall defeated A-rated Representative Steve Pearce,
making this a big loss for gun owners.

North Carolina -- Republican Sen. Elizabeth Dole ran as a pro-gun
control candidate for president in 2000. Since being elected to the
Senate from the Tar Heel state, however, Mrs. Dole compiled a good
pro-gun record. Dole's defeat at the hands of F-rated anti-gunner
Kay Hagan is a dramatic flip for gun rights.

Virginia -- F-rated Republican John Warner retired. Former governor
Mark Warner (no relation) trounced "A" rated Jim Gilmore, also a
former governor. Either of the candidates would have been an
improvement over the retiring Senator, but Mark Warner refused to
answer the GOA survey and has a mixed record on gun issues.

In the battle for the U.S. House of Representatives, gun owners also
were hit hard.

Of the 18 incumbents who were defeated, 15 were pro-gun (only two
were replaced by a pro-gunner). Of particular disappointment to gun
owners were the losses of Republican representatives Marilyn Musgrave
(CO-4), Tom Feeney (FL-24), Bill Sali (ID-1), and Tim Walberg (MI-7).
These representatives were among the most ardent Second Amendment
supporters.

In the 32 open House seats, the results were mixed. Thirteen seats
went to A-rated candidates, while six went to F-rated anti-gunners.
Nine new congressmen are "Not Rated," meaning they have no
record and
refused to fill out a GOA questionnaire. Four new members fall
somewhere in the middle, leaning toward a pro-gun position but no
guarantees. Note: a handful of close races across the country are
obviously headed for recounts, but this is how things look at the
moment.

The A-rated winners in open seat elections are: Tom McClintock (R-CA)
(this race is still subject to change), Duncan Hunter (R-CA), Bill
Posey (R-FL), Mike Coffman (R-CO), Debbie Halvorson (D-IL), Aaron
Schock (R-IL), Brett Guthrie (R-KY), Erik Paulsen (R-MN), Blaine
Luetkemeyer (R-MO), Christopher Lee (R-NY), Glenn Thompson (R-PA),
Jason Chaffetz (R-UT), and Cynthia Lummis (R-WY). These
representatives will have their work cut out for them, as the new
Congress has moved decidedly in the anti-gun direction and many
pro-gun leaders were defeated.

All in all, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid can't help but be emboldened
by their gains and there can be no denying that gun control
legislation is on their agenda.

So what can gun owners and sportsmen do to help prevent a gun control
tidal wave? Get involved and stay engaged!

Gun Owners of America will continue its efforts as Capitol Hill's
no-compromise gun lobby. But GOA's effectiveness depends on your
activism. Please continue to send the e-mails to your congressmen,
and forward GOA Action Alerts to pro-gun friends.

If you are not a member of Gun Owners of America, please join today
at http://www.gunowners.org/ordergoamem.htm so that you can start
receiving our newsletters and other important gun rights information.

The entire Congress needs to know that we're watching, and if they
attempt to ban even one firearm or expand unconstitutional gun
control in any way they will pay at the polls in the next election.

applekev
November 8, 2008, 09:53 AM
I saw a poll in the USA Today the other day that said 37% of gun owners voted for Obama. I think this says that the people of this great nation are looking at the entire spectrum of our present concerns.

sturmgewehr
November 8, 2008, 09:55 AM
...and when those 37% have their right stripped from them, they're going to pretend they had no idea Obama would do such a thing.

230RN
November 18, 2008, 10:36 AM
jeephistorian observed:

and lastly... bring more people into the hobby. One of the greatest failings of the pro gun movement is the exclusivity we create. My local gun club REQUIRES NRA membership to join. That's nice and admirable, but it makes us look cultish. They should have levels of membership, perhaps a beginner level so that these new gunners can learn to enjoy the hobby, to be taught at their pace rather than forced into the fight. Give them time and they'll step up, but if we force them, they may decide it isn't worth it and walk away before the love is really found

Now, there's an idea!

Nothing like fresh thinking from a fresh face!

Thank you, jeephistorian!

And welcome aboard, Fritz!

CAPTAIN MIKE
November 18, 2008, 10:49 AM
I did not vote for Barack Obama. However like millions of other Americans I recognize the historical significance of his election to the Presidency.

What will be interesting now that the Democrats have both the Oval Office and the Majority in Congress is how they will actually vote. Remember that all newly elected officials have one thing in common - they want to be voted back in to a second term. I believe that Obama - regardless of what's behind his policies - will probably 'rule from the center' so he can take the centrist position when running for re-election in 2012.

He uses the term 'reasonable' when describing the gun legislation that he favors. He will sell the 'reasonable' idea in marketing gun control legislation to the American public. Prepare for the other side to try and make gun owners seem like a bunch of crazy lunatics - and for the mainstream media to buy it wholesale.

We will need to combine forces and be absolutely clear in our message as to how reasonable the right of self-defense is as a basic human right.

esq_stu
November 18, 2008, 10:54 AM
Buy guns and ammo in bad times.
Buy guns and ammo in good times.
Good for me, good for you, good for us.

There - now it's about guns.

If you enjoyed reading about "Everybody relax." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!