WHY???

PDA

dogrunner
November 5, 2008, 09:45 AM
What in the name of God is with all these thread closures.....Yeah, I know.....stay on topic........but while I have always endeavored to do that I for one am about to leave this site due the excessive 'zeal' exhibited by you "thread cops"!

If there is SOME relationship to issues of general concern why shut it down?

That's most definitively NOT 'high road', that's just overt censorship!!~!

If you enjoyed reading about "WHY???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rbernie
November 5, 2008, 09:47 AM
Why not PM a mod instead of opening up a new thread?

dogrunner
November 5, 2008, 09:50 AM
Why let a mod 'hide'.........if that person has genuine cause then let him state it for all to see!

hso
November 5, 2008, 09:53 AM
dogrunner,

The thread closures have to do with the posts not being on topic. It's expected after the election that some folks who aren't used to the THR approach to discussions will want to post like they're on some of the other sites. Those threads and posts are just being treated like they normally would.

Unfortunately there's a lot of handwringing and wailing going on that goes to straight politics outside of the firearms issues. Others jump in and post low road "advice". All that leads to thread closures.

Art Eatman
November 5, 2008, 10:55 AM
dogrunner, all ya gotta do is read the rules of the website and of the particular forums. No moderator is overdoing anything; members are overdoing ignoring the rules here at this website. We're just reacting in the same fashion as we always have.

Think of us as speed cops who've had to deal with a steady sequence of late-night street racers. Steady nightly sequence instead of just the occasional Satiddy Nite.

J23
November 5, 2008, 11:00 AM
From just reading many of the new posts on this board this morning, my opinion is that (am I still allowed to voice that on here???) if the majority of gun owners in America have H.U.T.A. syndrome like about half of them do on these boards, including most of the lock happy mods, then we get what we deserve as gun owners in this country.

But just dont worry about it, relax, relax!! Everything will be ok!!! We can always discuss golf on THR.

Ed4032
November 5, 2008, 11:03 AM
I think that the mods do a great job!!

ieszu
November 5, 2008, 11:41 AM
I think the mods are doing a great job as well.... This is not a 1st amendment issue, as the website is privately owned. You can post anything you want, they have a right to lock the post or ban you if they see fit.

The point of this forum is not to engage in political discussions, but to enhance our knowledge of firearms, ask questions about LAWS and to advance RKBA education. If you wish to talk politics, there are other places for you. Discussing politics on the internet becomes nothing more than name calling and Trolling. If the moderators tried to keep the peace, everyone would hate them.... because their position is not backed 100% of the time. Not everyone is a purist when it comes to RKBA, and some people will even have opinions that matter more to them than the 2nd amendment. There used to be political discussions on here, but it got out of hand and the moderators decided to ban it, because it was getting crazy.

So +1 to the moderators!

hso
November 5, 2008, 12:00 PM
We can always discuss golf on THR.

Actually, those get locked also, but you can discuss them at APS. ;)

One man's "passion" is another's "hysteria". Do we just waste the emotional energy and encourage people to spend it running around and crying as they rend their clothes or do we instead encourage members to keep their powder dry and use it to grow support for RKBA organizations and actually stop talking and get involved (like they should have before this)?

Art Eatman
November 5, 2008, 01:05 PM
The bottom line is that this website has clearly-written rules. That somebody flunked Remedial Reading 101 creates no obligation whatsoever to that person on the part of the moderators.

dogrunner
November 5, 2008, 01:08 PM
Bro Eatman, unlike most on this board I've BEEN a real cop.....and for more years than I care to recall.

That said, my experience dictates that a bit of discretion can pay loads and LOADS of dividends to the person policing......I'd submit that you. and others occupying the 'post cop' position as mods, don't really understand that simple principle.

I have never been any problem to anyone on this board and actually I've rather enjoyed it as a civil and informative site. BUT, and this is a big one to me, you folks remind me of the ticket happy rookie that just has to write a "book a shift', not caring that he is in reality doing more damage than good. You "mods" need to practice more MODERATION........and no, you should not have to abandon the base premise of this board.......but that quick "lock down" is more than a little to bear.

I'll just leave you with the observation that the 'cite' happy rookie got far more meaningful flack from those he worked with than he ever did from the 'brass'......in fact, I have known of incidents, to use the analogy, where that sort of person was actually so shut out that he left the department...

Do as you will, I sure can't influence you, but I can exercise my right to go to THRUS.

BullfrogKen
November 5, 2008, 03:11 PM
Art, you overzealous rookie, you.

Now that's a hoot.

MMCSRET
November 5, 2008, 03:29 PM
dogrunner: you framed "IT" well, thank you!

Jeff White
November 6, 2008, 01:07 AM
dogrunner,
I was a real cop for 22 years. Coronach and Matt Guest are presently serving. Moderating an internet forum is nothing like policing. When you use discretion on the street you don't often have to worry about everyone finding out that you are a soft touch or you don't like to write tickets. It's usually a one on one interaction between you and the offender.

If the same kind of discretion was used here, you have everyone posting off topic threads and making posts that violate the rules. Why, simply because everything we do is in public view. You pull over a driver for speeding and the public doesn't know you gave him a warning, they see him sitting on the side of the road with your squad parked behind his car. In the public's view, the law is being enforced. Here if we left an off topic thread open and sent a warning about it by private message or email, all everyone would see is the open off topic thread. They wouldn't have any idea that we promised to take action against the offender if he ever did it again. In the memberships eyes, the rules would mean nothing because they weren't enforced.

Were you ever in the service? IF you were did you ever hear the saying about how every time an NCO or officer saw a regulation violated and didn't do anything about it, that he just set a new lower standard? That is exactly what would happen here at THR if we used more discretion.

Believe me, there is plenty of discretion here. There are a lot of borderline off topic threads that are allowed to run and too often we let threads on topics that we know are going to get out of hand run, sometimes to 150+ posts.

THR wouldn't be what it is if it was moderated differently.

Jeff

sm
November 6, 2008, 03:54 AM
We can always discuss golf on THR.

Actually, those get locked also, but you can discuss them at APS.

I have shared about golf here on THR, and the thread was not locked. It was on topic.
No. I did not bribe any of the cops with jelly filled do-nuts either.

I am going on memory here (dangerous as that is) still in General I shared how a golf bag is a useful tool to give off the impression that one is going to, and returning from a round of golf, instead of actually going to the range with guns in a golf bag.

Others in Competition sub forum have shared about Golf Bags for use in 3 Gun.

I have shared in S&T , how in a Hosptial Main OR, I had a 7 iron.
Why?
Simple.
Main OR and rival gangs were known to get into the sterile areas, looking to finish off someone they had shot.

Quite a few of the folks in the OR played golf, including Surgeons, Scrub Tech, Rad Techs, Nurses, Anesthesiology...etc.
We would go into one of the lounges and "chip up" plastic golf balls, or set out the practice putting cups on the carpet , and play "Putt-Putt" Golf.

Stress relief.
Sanity check.
One sees and deals with a lot in a OR and when a break comes, it slows down a bit, one has to do what they need to get rid of stress, feel sane, and re-charge batteries before the next wave hits.

Some OR suites had various golf clubs, others baseball bats, and some both.
These were also in the hall near scrub sinks and other areas.

Most folks are thinking "hitting" with a golf club.
While that is one option...

Those that work, or have worked in a OR, know how these are set up. They may differ , still they share common traits. The ventilation systems, doors and wall due to X-Ray, and the windows.

A golf club shaft will flex, bend, even break. I had a old old Spaulding 7 iron.
One can insert this iron into a door, and it impedes it being open. The "wedge" can work as a door stop, and there are tasks this 7 iron could do, and actually did, as I made it a point to know.

OR suites varied in size, arrangement, and all sorts of things. Heart Rooms, Neuro, Ortho, Cysto...

That is how one speaks of Golf on a Gun forum.

Oh, a sure fire quote is Col Cooper's thought on how he felt a golf course was a waste of a rifle range.

*pass the cinnamon twists*

dogrunner
November 6, 2008, 08:39 AM
Yeah, Jeff. 33 as a LEO............15 as a CLEO........Military, RA, E-5, during the late SE Asia debacle............been there, done that, seen most all of it.

Like the old Greek said, MODerateration in ALL things!

rbernie
November 6, 2008, 08:54 AM
I don't think that Art's been a rookie since Eisenhower was a pup. :D

KINGMAX
November 6, 2008, 09:04 AM
Dog runner ?? when were you at Fort Gordon 4 AIT BRG. ??

dogrunner
November 6, 2008, 09:09 AM
Basic and Signal plus crypto....A42.............'63 thru 65...........

Yeah, I knew Gordon WELL!

KINGMAX
November 6, 2008, 09:19 AM
I worked down in the S-4, checked out the guys on Thursday when they graduated. If they had orders for SE Asia, I took their overcoat, made sure they had a raincoat. :eek::eek: I saw alot of sad faces on Thursday's.

I lived in the barracks right across from the movie theater. Always had a poker game going on the 15th of the month when the Marines got paid. I always had pocket $$$$$$.:D:D:D:D:D:D

Art Eatman
November 6, 2008, 11:58 PM
Well, lessee. I got my greetings from Ike in November of 1953. Saw more of Inchon, Yong Dong Po and Seoul than I really cared for, not liking shot-to-garbage cities, even on occupation duty. I later watched multi-star generals quiver and poop over the idea of ICBMs hitting Paris, during the Hungarian crisis. Pore lil ribbon clerk's not gonna go anywhere safe, though.

I guess I've seen a bit of this old world. Four years outside the U.S.; twenty-two countries. Heck, lots of meddling around in forty-some U.S. states. (The world sure has a bunch of pretty women in it, doesn't it?)

Been a moderator for going on ten years, now; TFL and here. Fair number of "Thanks, Art" emails and PMs, so I can't be all bad.

I generally let minor stuff slide. Kinda hard to get me excited, really. Most of the threads I close, I just finally lose patience with stoopid. My threshold just keeps kinda dropping about that. Call it an age thing; Olde Pharts are like that, y'know.

I don't figure that our rules are absolute, cast in concrete or engraved in stainless steel. Still, I like to see folks stay reasonably close to them. So, when stuff is way off topic, well, too bad. When posts get way stupid, the "Noise, no signal" comment comes in. And when the discussions degrade to argument, insult and circularity, guess what?

But sometimes I wish somebody would come up with a whine I haven't heard before. Kinda like the Fort Stockton JP who said that anybody came up with a new song-and-dance, he'd toss out the traffic ticket.

BullfrogKen
November 7, 2008, 12:34 AM
Art, you're getting soft in your old age.

I'm surprised you didn't use the "because I said so" reason. ;)

ArfinGreebly
November 7, 2008, 12:54 AM
Me?

I ain't been nowhere.

And I was born yesterday.

bikerdoc
November 7, 2008, 06:24 AM
Kudos to all the mods for keeping it highroad. they all do a fine job and I for one want to keep it that way. this is a forum to learn, grow, and share knowledge. Promote Rkba, and develop friendships. Act like a gentleman and you will be treated as one. Act like a basement dwelling ninja wannabe and suffer the consequences. Bottom line is stay on topic, be civil, and agree to disagree, like an a properly raised adult male should.
Stupid posts, insulting comments, and opinions not based in fact deserve to be locked.
And as long as we are trotting out credentials - medic 101st airborne, in country 68-69, 14 yr LEO. 21 yrs as a RN. Still got a lot to learn!

Art Eatman
November 7, 2008, 09:11 AM
Aw, I guess that when you get down to the nitty-gritty, the big majority of those who post here at this website are pretty good folks.

I've met, face to face, right at fifty of them. I'd be quite happy to go back and have another beer or three. From PMs, emails and comments in threads, I figure I could stop in and enjoy visits all over the U.S. and in several foreign locales.

I don't really worry about that few who spend too much time picking fly poop out of pepper...

Life. Is. Good.

:D, Art

bearmgc
November 7, 2008, 12:25 PM
Why do posters often feel they can post anything that floats through their mind ? This is not a publicly owned Forum and the rules are clear.

If you enjoyed reading about "WHY???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!