walnut or laminate

PDA

greyling22
November 5, 2008, 09:54 AM
I'm going to custom stock my new bolt gun. it's a lefty mini-mauser in deep gloss blue. do I go with semi-fancy walnut or a laminate? (laminate would be either grey/black or a brown) It will be a working rifle, but not a beater. And not a safe queen bench rest gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "walnut or laminate" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hossdaniels
November 5, 2008, 10:14 AM
Walnut is awesome, laminate is just better looking than plastic. Laminate may be a little more consistent shooting, but you probably will never know the difference. So if its not a target rifle, walnut!

earlthegoat2
November 5, 2008, 10:21 AM
i prefer walnut, but my second choice is laminate, as long as it is a decent looking laminate, or at least cleverly done

thirdeagle
November 5, 2008, 10:47 AM
For nasty rainy days the laminate would fit the bill. However, I'm a sucker for a nice walnut stock but only after about a dozen rounds of sanding/sealing and then a final round of stain. It's a lot of work but well worth the effort regardless of how you plan on using the aforementioned firearm.

Smokey Joe
November 5, 2008, 10:56 AM
Greyling 22--Go to Boyd's website: www.boydsgunstocks.com and look @ their laminate and their walnut stocks. I, too, like their beautiful walnut stocks, but their laminate stocks are really nice-looking as well.

Are you going to do the work yourself/ If so, and you go Boyd's, get the "unfinished" stock--means not varnished; all the inletting is done. Then you can glass-bed it yourself, make any small modifications that occur to you, and use the finish of your choice.

I went that route in making a Yugo Mauser pseudo-Scout, and it turned out nicer looking than I had any right to expect. The glass bedding was scary, but I did an SKS for practice beforehand, in a cheap Ram-line plastic stock, so felt pretty confident, and, whaddya know, it worked! :)

Anyhow, consider getting a stock from Boyd's. They will send you a catalogue for the asking. They must get a lot of first-timers; their 'phone sales people are very patient and helpful. Contact info: Snail-mail: Boyd's Gunstock Industries, Inc, 25376 403rd Ave, Mitchell, SD, 57301. 'Phone: 605-996-9878. Yes, it's on your nickel, but you're the one with the question. My 'phone costs to 'em I considered very well spent.

Anyhow, good luck on yr project, and of course, we'll need an interim report, and a final report, with pix please!!

greyling22
November 5, 2008, 11:09 AM
I agree, walnut sure is nice. I have a neat walnut 257 AI custom job. I'm just entertaining the option of something different, and I don't have any laminate. and I hear laminate may hold up better.

As for walnut, my options are california claro, or black walnut. opinions?

I'm ordering from richards microfit, not boyds. and yes, I hear Richards is more hit and miss, but they are the ONLY people I can find that will make a mini-mauser left hand stock for less than $300. And I've got time for a project and lots of sandpaper.

homers
November 5, 2008, 11:24 AM
Besides looks, is there any functional difference between wood and laminate?

viking499
November 5, 2008, 11:26 AM
Walnut then laminate.

ArmedBear
November 5, 2008, 11:34 AM
is there any functional difference between wood and laminate?

Yes, essentially like a wood sheet vs. a plywood sheet.

Plain wood warps when it gets wet, soaks moisture, breaks more easily, etc.

Obviously, walnut is a stable hardwood, so it doesn't warp like a pine board, but it still does. It dings more easily than laminate, also.

Laminate is typically heavier, which can be a downside in a working gun, depending on what application it has. It is harder to checker laminate, AFAIK.

I'm a sucker for nice walnut, but I've begun to distinguish between working guns and "nice guns", now that I live in a place where tossing a gun in the back seat of the Jeep is something that may happen more often.

sbarkowski
November 5, 2008, 11:39 AM
I hear that with temperature and humidity changes a walnut stock can warp enough to make contact and cause uneven pressure on the barrel making POI inconsistent. If its going to be a work rifle im sure it will eventually come in contact with less than adequate weather conditions. If I understand it correctly laminate stocks have the grain of each layer running in different directions so warping is not an problem, they remain strong and stable in all conditons. I presonally do prefer laminate for that reason plus I like the look of the alternating color pattern which there are endless options for. I have heard of a few factory laminate stocks mainly the ones on the Tikka T3 Stainless have had issues with them splitting between the layers (mainly at where the swivle studs attach), although I dont believe this to be a common problem. One thing I did do to both my stocks was seal the wood in the inleting area, barrel channel and especially where the recoil pad attaches. It would probablly be fine if I didnt but I invested far too much into them to find out the hard way. Some sort of fibre reinforced synthetic stock would most likely do very nicely for a work gun but you seem partial to a nice wood stock, as am I.

SwampWolf
November 5, 2008, 02:35 PM
On a rifle, my first priorities are accuracy and reliability. But looks count for me too, which is why I almost always opt for nice walnut. I will never like the looks of laminate stocks but will concede that a laminate stock affords stability and stability in terms of not shrinking or otherwise changing the configuration of the bedding in a stock promotes consistent accuracy over time.

But, like I said, looks count for me...:)

greyling22
November 5, 2008, 03:33 PM
well that was just not definitive at all. sigh. This would be easier if I could flip through the blanks and see them, but over the phone.....

SwampWolf
November 5, 2008, 03:56 PM
well that was just not definitive at all. sigh. This would be easier if I could flip through the blanks and see them, but over the phone.....

I understand your frustration but the problem with your question is that there isn't any right answer, except this: if the aesthetics of a firearm mean little to you and long-term durability and performance means everything to you, the choice is simple-go laminated.

If you enjoyed reading about "walnut or laminate" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!