Rem 7600 Carbine for walk around gun

PDA

WVMountainBoy
November 5, 2008, 02:17 PM
Was considering one of these for a walk around gun. I've handled a full length model and like it a lot, however I feel the Carbine might be a little better for wandering through the brush or as a SD gun. I plan on using the iron's mostly, may put a fixed power scope on it in the future.
Does anyone have any experiance with these and if so, was it a good experiance. Hows the punch of the '06 comin out of the 18.5 bbl?
I'm considering the synthetic model.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rem 7600 Carbine for walk around gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
351 WINCHESTER
November 5, 2008, 05:38 PM
I would get the carbine in .308, but the 30-06 will serve you well too. I think the .308 will be more efficient from a shorter bbl. I doubt you or your quarry will notice any loss of punch from the shorter bbl.

X-Rap
November 5, 2008, 08:47 PM
I have posted before on the 760. It would be one of my top 5 choices for a centerfire in the carbine configuration. I have a couple that have been cut down and recrowned and one that has a break drilled into the barrel. My personal view is that it should be carbine length and used for under 300 yd hunting, if more distance is required then get a bolt. Can't say enough about the gun though, its light, short, detachable mag, plus it shoots calibers that pack a punch can't ask for more than that.

RX-178
November 5, 2008, 08:53 PM
It also has a DECENT cult-following in aftermarket stuff. Nothing like the 870, AR, or 700, but you can get some accurization done, you can get it free floated (I don't know HOW, but I've heard of it being done), etc.

Probably not worth it for what you're talking about, but still an option later, if you ever want an... okay, yeah, putting match grade heavy barrels on a 7600 sounds kinda silly to me too, but you COULD do it... just saying... you know...

R.W.Dale
November 6, 2008, 06:31 AM
but you can get some accurization done, you can get it free floated.

actually they come that way new, the bbl on a 7600 is completely free floated from forend to receiver, this helps accuracy as does the ar15 style floating bolt face. Typically rem 7600's shoot extremely well. In fact I'll go so far as to say that on average the 7600 is the most accurate sporting weight rifle Remington makes. The 700 has NOTHING on a 7600 in the accuracy dpt

Katana8869
November 6, 2008, 11:57 AM
I traded my Remington 870 w/slug barrel even up for a Remington 7600 carbine in 30-06. I am very happy with the gun. I use it for hog hunting in the woods and orange groves here in central Fl and it is a great little brush gun.

Most of the shots that I have are in the 50 - 100 yard range and I have stuck with the iron sights on mine. If I do scope it, I will probably go with a set of see-through rings so that I can still use the irons if I need to.

Mine is very accurate and very smooth to shoot. Every since I got this gun my hunting buddy who uses a Winchester 94 in 44 magnum has been about to have a fit from jealousy. lol

WVMountainBoy
November 6, 2008, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the posts guys, very appreciated. The removable mag and open sights are what first attracted me to it. A friend has a walnut 22 inch in 06 that has minute of deer accuracy at 150 yds as proven by full freezers year after year. What I want out of my "walk around" rifle is 100% reliability, ammo availability (30.06 has that in spades), and 70 yard accuracy. I get a bit jumpy about some of the places I hike around now being infested by meth cooks. Would like something more than my old Glenfield 22LR if push comes to bang.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rem 7600 Carbine for walk around gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!