I need help building an AR-15 carbine

PDA

aod0311
November 5, 2008, 03:12 PM
I'm looking to build an AR-15 carbine, I'm not very knowledgeable about the different companies that make the parts. This week I'm going to buy a DPMS lower receiver for $130 just so I can have one before Obama puts some kind of restriction on assault rifles. I want to make it pretty close to the M4. I'm wondering what companies i can trust as far as quality goes for the barrel, bolt, upper receiver, and trigger assembly.

I hear DPMS and CMMG are pretty decent, I'm not interested in the flashy names like bushmaster and what not, they are a little too expensive for the small amount of better quality from what i hear. So let me know what you guys think about the two names i just mentioned.

Call me weird but basically this is going to be my battle rifle, a rifle that i would trust if doomsday came and i had one rifle to take with me to survive with, It's going to be the standard 5.56 with a chrome lined barrel. I'm not sure about chrome bolts, i want a chrome carrier just for cleaning purposes but I hear a chrome bolt can shear off and flake, your thoughts?

I also am not sure what twist of barrel i want, I hear 1:9 is generally better?

If you guys can think of anything else i need to think about please let me know so I can do some research. Any links that would help me in my endeavor would also be appreciated, thank you for all your help.

If you enjoyed reading about "I need help building an AR-15 carbine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CountGlockula
November 5, 2008, 03:13 PM
The Rifle Forum may better assist.

Hoppy590
November 5, 2008, 03:44 PM
I'm wondering what companies i can trust as far as quality goes for the barrel, bolt, upper receiver, and trigger assembly.

prettymuch any company other than Hesse/Blackthorne or model 1

i break company's down to 2 classes

value
Stag, Del-ton, DPMS,CMMG, Bushmaster. and more ( Olympic may be in here, the votes still out on that)

expensive
Noveske, Colt, LMT, YHM etc

Darthbauer
November 5, 2008, 03:50 PM
I'm not interested in the flashy names like bushmaster and what not

I guess you have never heard of Noveske. I've never heard anyone call bushy flashy.

Look into Stag and RRA as they are going to be a little better and not that expensive.

rcmodel
November 5, 2008, 03:58 PM
basically this is going to be my battle rifle, a rifle that i would trust if doomsday came and i had one rifle to take with me to survive withShoulda just bought a Colt then!

aod0311
November 5, 2008, 04:15 PM
What are some good websites to buy parts from?

aod0311
November 5, 2008, 04:18 PM
and isnt this the rifle forum? it says rifle country, im new to the site

rbernie
November 5, 2008, 04:25 PM
What are some good websites to buy parts from?Bravo Company USA
DelTon
CMMG
Global Tactical

tkcomer
November 5, 2008, 04:40 PM
First off, head on over to AR15.com and click on AR-15 at the top. Then click on build it yourself. In that forum is a step by step guide on how to build the gun you want. In my opinion, it's cheaper to buy a complete upper ready to go than to buy the tools to assemble just one gun. The lower is your call, but it doesn't hurt to use a lower and upper from the same manufacturer. That ensures they mate together well. Some uppers will have to be sanded just a little to mate with a lower of different manufacturers. And don't be afraid of Model 1 uppers. I have two and they work flawless and are accurate to boot. One biggie is the trigger. Factory triggers suck. You might look into getting an RRA 2 stage trigger assembly for the lower. Not that expensive and it sure makes shooting the gun more enjoyable. Just my 2 cents.

aod0311
November 5, 2008, 07:28 PM
I'm bumping this post to get some more opinions, thanks for everyon that posted!

Heck
November 5, 2008, 08:59 PM
I put together a Del-ton midlength on a DPMS stripped lower. I have been extremely pleased. The fit, finish, accuracy are great and it has been 100% reliable with about 300 rounds through it so far. The upgrades are failry inexpensive with them as well.

If you enjoyed reading about "I need help building an AR-15 carbine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!