Varmit Nightmare 55 PSP

November 5, 2008, 04:11 PM
Has anybody here tried these? Any load info for 22/250. I just oredered the 2K pack and was wondering if I made a decent choice. Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Varmit Nightmare 55 PSP" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
November 5, 2008, 08:36 PM

I bought a 500 pack last month myself. I'm looking for load data also. The only problem is that I don't have the rifle yet.:what:

In the next couple of weeks I'm getting a Savage Model 12 FVSS in 22-250 with a 1 in 12 twist . I can't wait!

What 22-250 make and model do you have? Have any loads that work good for you?

P.S. What part of Pa are you in?

November 5, 2008, 08:50 PM
Just took in 500 of them myself, but for a 225AI rather than a 22-250.

Haven't started loading them just yet, but I think you'll find that the info at for the 22-250 with 55 grain bullets (hornady listed) will suit you fine, provided you work up loads as (always) recommended.

Hope this helps.

November 5, 2008, 09:23 PM
Theres sometimes a bit of debate, with ultrathin jacket bullets intended for varmiting, driven at high velocities, such as in a 22-250.

The theory being that because of the extreme rotational/G forces imparted on the bullet, due to the speed which the bullet is moving and spinning, may cause a bullet, with a very thin jacket, to partially deform in flight. Which would affect longrange accuracy.

This maybe only one reason, that 'some' super varmit bullets, are not intended for 22-250.

If it states, on the packet, they can be driven at 22-250 velocities, then you should have no such issues.

November 6, 2008, 12:02 AM
My load that I have now is a 55gr Sierra BlitzKing with Varget powder. I shoot it out of my Ruger 77 sporter (not HB) Accuracy is awesome. The throat on my rifle is very loose or deep even though the rifle is almost new. I can seat the bullets out pretty far to get the right leade jump. I bought the bulk bullets because they were cheaper than Sierra. The Lady at Mid South said I would recognize the brand. Depoloni, what speeds are you getting with these in your .225? Thanks for the replies Oh, I'm in Pgh Pa.

dagger dog
November 6, 2008, 10:49 AM
I've shot the varmint nightmare in 55 grain, through a 12FV Savage .223, with several different powder primer configuration and they will give 1" at a 100yds. For what they are intended for (high volume shooting) they are not bad and you can usually pick out a combo that will suit your 22-250. I have yet to see a ragged one hole 5 shot grouping with my .223. Of course I have a1-9 twist and may be over spinning them. You could possibly get a little better grouping with the slower twist and being able to push them with higher velocity out of your 250. I think you made a good deal!

November 6, 2008, 04:17 PM
IROCZ) Will let you know as soon as I do, hopefully this weekend although it'll only be the fireforming loads.

I'm hoping (kind of expecting) to see upper-mid 3's in terms of velocity, but I just got the barrel back rechambered from 222 and don't honestly know what to expect :)

November 6, 2008, 05:04 PM
The only powders that I have right now are IMR 4064 and IMR 4895. Anyone try these? Are they ok or should I start looking at different powders?

IROCZ: I live in Sharon. About an hour North of you and was, at one time I guess, a "neighbor" of depoloni. Huh, small world.

November 8, 2008, 11:02 AM
Oh yeah, I've used lots of 4895 and it'll work good in .22-250. How does 36 gr. for 3600 fps sound to you?

Ballpark figures only - NOT A LOAD RECOMMENDATION.

November 8, 2008, 03:36 PM
These bullets shot just fine in my fireforming loads I'm happy to report. Sub-MOA actually, in most of my 5-shot groups.

closet) Born at Shenango Valley Hospital, where the old man worked at the time, lived just behind Tam-O-Shanter (i think it was) on Scott Drive until I was 8. Drove through a few years back, place has sure changed but the house is still standing. No corn field behind it though anymore :(

If you enjoyed reading about "Varmit Nightmare 55 PSP" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!