Treasury Dept wants Rock River carbines

PDA

Slater
November 5, 2008, 05:22 PM
https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=7f065fcba9b97cee3adbc621b80c9ce0&tab=core&_cview=0

A superior fire control group? Anyone familiar?

If you enjoyed reading about "Treasury Dept wants Rock River carbines" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cuervo
November 5, 2008, 05:40 PM
Sounds like the RRA comes standard with a two stage trigger, which is what they're specifying.

I am more concerned as to why this branch of the Treasury, or any branch for that matter, needs AR15 carbines. Is this yet another branch of the .gov with its own police force?

http://www.publicdebt.treas.gov/
You haven't heard of the Bureau of the Public Debt before? We're a small agency within the Department of the Treasury. Our customers are your neighbors, co-workers, and most likely you, too. You're our customer if you've ever bought any type of Treasury security for yourself or, as millions have done in the case of savings bonds, as a gift for someone else.

hags
November 5, 2008, 05:47 PM
For duty or defense I dont' think the RRA fire control group is superior by any means.
Modified, it' one of the best two stage target triggers for the money.

I too don't understand why the Treasury department needs ARs.

ilbob
November 5, 2008, 05:50 PM
can't they get M16/M4s from the army like every other police force in the country?

351 WINCHESTER
November 5, 2008, 05:55 PM
The Treasury dept. needs ar's because it's the fed's job to spend our hard earned money. Personally I think it's part of their "plan" to arm all agencies "for that day".

marsche
November 5, 2008, 10:04 PM
The IRS is under Treasury. They have to have a way to collect the taxes, don't they?

mr.scott
November 5, 2008, 10:31 PM
I imagine they investigate fraud and counterfiting. And groups performing such actions are probably more organized than the 2 idiots about to rob a 7-11.

The only problem I have with it is it will make Rocks even harder to get.

earlthegoat2
November 5, 2008, 10:36 PM
I really should be in the market of manufacturing ARs right now

basicblur
November 5, 2008, 10:42 PM
RRA is a POS?
Obviously those government clowns haven't seen "THE CHART"! :D

Logan5
November 5, 2008, 10:52 PM
I thought the Secret Service investigated fraud and counterfeiting?

AFAIK, Bureau of the Public Debt sells Treasury bills, notes, and bonds, mostly by mail with the transactions being done at retail banks. They have a lot of accountants, and also do a lot of administrative support for other agencies. It's news to me that they have anyone with badges.

The Bureau of the Public Debt was established on June 30, 1940, pursuant to the Reorganization Act of 1939 (31 U.S.C.A. 306). Its mission is to borrow the money needed to operate the federal government, account for the resulting public debt, and issue treasury securities to refund maturing debt and raise new money.

The bureau fulfills its mission through six programs: commercial book-entry securities, direct access securities, savings securities, government securities, market regulation, and public debt accounting. The bureau issues and auctions treasury bills, notes, and bonds and manages the U.S. Savings Bond Program.

In addition, the bureau implements the regulations for the government securities market. These regulations provide for investor protection while maintaining a fair and liquid market for government securities.

I can only assume that investor protection is getting much more demanding in this market.

kcmarine
November 5, 2008, 11:13 PM
Is the ATF still under the Treasury Department? That's the only branch of the Treasury that I could see having a use for them... even if that use is bogus.

Hoppy590
November 5, 2008, 11:28 PM
They have to have a way to collect the taxes, don't they?

ya the courts.

they dont need to be kicking in doors.

Hoppy590
November 5, 2008, 11:29 PM
Is the ATF still under the Treasury Department? That's the only branch of the Treasury that I could see having a use for them... even if that use is bogus.

nope, now Homeland security or DOJ i forget which

kcmarine
November 5, 2008, 11:35 PM
I sent this email to the main "point of contact" at the bottom of the page:

"I am a concerned citizen. Would you provide me the intent of use that the Bureau of Public Debt has for these weapons, and what part of U.S. Code sanctifies this intent?

Thank you for your swift response."

It'll be interesting to see if i get an answer.

jeff-10
November 5, 2008, 11:38 PM
I would imagine they are using the RRA carbines to guard there facilities. I don't mind the government buying weapons with my tax $, I just have a problem when they don't want me to buy the same weapons.

HorseSoldier
November 6, 2008, 12:21 AM
Treasury used to include both the ATF and Secret Service, and I think ran FLETC also (might be wrong on that). I think all that went to Homeland Security, though. I'm not entirely sure what they have left that would need patrol carbines with door kicker accessories.

Edit to add -- Don't the RRA two-stage triggers have a reputation for wearing out at fairly low round counts? (Or didn't they at one point? Not flaming RRA -- I use one of their lowers on my AR and am happy with it, but seems like I read a good deal of bad press on their non-USGI trigger options.)

GRIZ22
November 6, 2008, 12:29 AM
"I am a concerned citizen. Would you provide me the intent of use that the Bureau of Public Debt has for these weapons, and what part of U.S. Code sanctifies this intent?

The answer to the question is:

Its mission is to borrow the money needed to operate the federal government, account for the resulting public debt,

Whenever anyone does business of this magnitude the check is cut by Treasury from the agency's funds.

ATF is now under DOJ. ATF investigates a lot of firearms violations by biker gangs. I don't think having a M4 when you're going up against a biker gang that has AKs, M16s, or other weapons to protect their meth lab is bogus. DHS-OIG (Office of Inspector General) is listed as place of performance which may be the end user.

hags
November 6, 2008, 12:52 AM
DHS should be abolished, the IRS should be abolished, two of the biggest wastes of taxpayer money going.

Don't those government clowns know...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RRA is a POS?
Obviously those government clowns haven't seen "THE CHART"!

I'm going to guess that's an attempt at humor, but I couldn't agree more.

SwampWolf
November 6, 2008, 11:56 AM
I sent this email to the main "point of contact" at the bottom of the page:

Thank you for your swift response."

It'll be interesting to see if i get an answer.

I don't know whether you'll get an answer but I'm sure you'll now get on "the list". :what:

MAKster
November 6, 2008, 12:03 PM
Has anyone thought that maybe these rifles aren't actually for the Bureau of Public Debt, but they are just acting as the centralized procurement office for a number of Treasury agencies. These rifles might be for U.S. Mint police, Bureau of Engraving and Printing, or IRS CI.

Gunnerpalace
November 6, 2008, 02:59 PM
I imagine they investigate fraud and counterfeiting. And groups performing such actions are probably more organized than the 2 idiots about to rob a 7-11.

Don't know about that didn't a group try counterfeiting pennies?

Hoppy590
November 6, 2008, 06:08 PM
Don't know about that didn't a group try counterfeiting pennies

you dont need to counterfeit pennies to make it a loosing proposition.... last i heard the US gov pays 1.4 cents to make a penny.

kcmarine
November 6, 2008, 07:30 PM
I don't know whether you'll get an answer but I'm sure you'll now get on "the list".

For? If they want to put me on a list, there's an extending part of my body they can inhale.

I'm not being cute either. I pay taxes (yes, at 17, you do). I want to know what is being done with those taxes. To be completely honest, I don't see why all of these agencies need enforcement arms. That's the FBI's job.

TimboKhan
November 6, 2008, 07:34 PM
The Secret Service quite obviously needs to be well armed, and there are other branches of the Treasury that need guns as well. That is why your hard earned tax dollars are buying Rock River arms.

HorseSoldier
November 6, 2008, 07:37 PM
Secret Service no longer falls under Treasury. They're Homeland Security nowadays.

Maalox
November 6, 2008, 07:45 PM
They may be purchasing RRA since the document states they are for the Chicago field office. Maybe they are purchasing items from the state they are located in to support the local economy.

GRIZ22
November 6, 2008, 07:56 PM
To be completely honest, I don't see why all of these agencies need enforcement arms. That's the FBI's job.

The FBI takes care of criminal investigations noted doled out to other agencies, Secret Service does counterfeiting and credit card fraud. IRS-CID does criminal tax farud and money laundering, ICE does customs violations and immigration law, etc. To have one agency to do everything would be more like the Mexican Federales or Gestapo. Would you really want one federal LE agency? Knowing what we know now would you have wanted Hoover making all the federal LE decsiions for nearly 50 years?

They all have need for long guns at times. They all encounter some very bad people at times.

kcmarine
November 6, 2008, 08:31 PM
The FBI takes care of criminal investigations noted doled out to other agencies, Secret Service does counterfeiting and credit card fraud. IRS-CID does criminal tax farud and money laundering, ICE does customs violations and immigration law, etc. To have one agency to do everything would be more like the Mexican Federales or Gestapo. Would you really want one federal LE agency? Knowing what we know now would you have wanted Hoover making all the federal LE decsiions for nearly 50 years?

They all have need for long guns at times. They all encounter some very bad people at times.

No, I don't want a billion different government law enforcement agencies. When they set up more, it costs us more money. Some of them really don't need it. I don't see the need for it. Sorry.

Howard Roark
November 6, 2008, 09:31 PM
The Treasury Dept has a division called the Asset Forfeit and Seizure Division. A friend recently retired from there. They are armed and well trained by various agencies. They have to go in on some low lifes like drug dealers and such.

If you enjoyed reading about "Treasury Dept wants Rock River carbines" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!