Powder baffle for Hornady measure

PDA

karnaaj
November 6, 2008, 02:10 PM
Tried to use the baffle from my RCBS measure but apparently the diameter of the RCBS tube is smaller than that of the Hornady. Hornady doesn't seem to make a baffle at least not so where I can find it. Any suggestions? thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Powder baffle for Hornady measure" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
November 6, 2008, 02:54 PM
Use the RCBS baffle for an approximate pattern shape, and cut one out of a beer can.

That's how I made two Lyman's and a Herters.

Walkalong
November 6, 2008, 02:57 PM
Just make sure it's not light beer. It's against the rules. :evil:

Steve C
November 6, 2008, 03:34 PM
Are you having problems with the powder dispensing consistently? I've been using Honrnady powder measures, one on a LNL and the other for my single stage without any problems as long as you use the correct meter insert for the amount of powder you are dispensing. Both have been very consistent even when the powder gets low.

I replace an old Herters measure for single stage reloading that had a built in baffle with the Hornady when Midway had them on sale a few years ago.

karnaaj
November 6, 2008, 04:01 PM
I was getting fairly consistent metering but I thought I'd try something new. Even using the too small RCBS baffle seems to improve things a little.

Larry E
November 6, 2008, 06:33 PM
I replaced the baffles in my powder measures with flat plastic (aluminum would be better) plates with a ~1/2" hole (smaller might be better) in it. Seems to work well, but if I ever build up the ambition I'll make some out of aluminum sheet with a smaller hole or holes near the edge rather than in the center. A drill press and circle cutter help to make these. Plastic or aluminum sheet is usually available at model/hobby shops, and ~ 0.060" or so thick is what I used.

The baffle is installed inside the bottom of the powder reservoir so it has to be measured pretty close.

Idano
November 6, 2008, 09:38 PM
karnaaj,

I am using the RCBS baffle in my Hornady powder measure. All you have to do to get it to fit properly is flatten it out slightly. The baffle definitely resolve my variation problem with Unique.

Shoney
November 7, 2008, 01:47 AM
You can aslo go to post #9 on this page for baffel patterns:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=366367&highlight=baffle

Guys!!!! this is a family site. We should discourage adult beverage cans and promote POP cans.:evil::D

the foot
November 7, 2008, 08:55 PM
Why not just use the RCBS powder measure? Mine meters exact loads with almost all powders.

Idano
November 8, 2008, 02:07 AM
Why not just use the RCBS powder measure? Mine meters exact loads with almost all powders.

I have two RCBS Uniflows besides my Hornady powder measure that came with my AP. I can tell you from personal experience there is absolutely no difference between the Hornady and the RCBS powder measure in repeatability. I have the RCBS baffles in all my powder measures and they are all very repeatable with less then 0.3 grains variability using flake powder like Unique and with ball powder I rarely see any deviation; occasionally I'll see a 0.1 grain change but rarely. Most devations at these levels could also be associated with the electronic scale since mine is very sensitive to air currents.

Sport45
November 8, 2008, 09:06 PM
Go to Midwayusa.com (http://www.midwayusa.com/esearch.exe/search?search_keywords=powder+baffle&category_selector=all_products&Click+to+Begin+Search.x=13&Click+to+Begin+Search.y=10) and do a search for "powder baffle".

I haven't found a need to add baffles to any of my measures. At least not for the loads I use.

Idano
November 9, 2008, 12:47 AM
Sport it all depends on the type of powder and the degree of variance you're willing to live with as to whether you need a baffle or not. If you're using a ball type powder a baffle isn't really necessary, but if you're using a flake type powder for light loads you'll never get as good repeatability without a baffle as you will with one.

If you enjoyed reading about "Powder baffle for Hornady measure" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!