New Century Arms Semi-Auto Sterling 9mm SMG

PDA

Kind of Blued
November 6, 2008, 09:48 PM
http://www.tactical-life.com/online/exclusives/century-arms-semi-auto-version-of-sterlings-smg-9mm/?email=products_img

Looks pretty neat. Does anybody have any more info on it?

If you enjoyed reading about "New Century Arms Semi-Auto Sterling 9mm SMG" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HeadlandRam
November 6, 2008, 10:13 PM
I'd get it

Hoppy590
November 6, 2008, 10:15 PM
i like, i would buy, but i will wait till we find out how well they are made.

Seafarer12
November 6, 2008, 10:22 PM
I wouldnt buy it but then I am a lefty.

kcmarine
November 6, 2008, 10:28 PM
I just realized that thing looks a lot like the toy Star Wars blaster I had as a kid. Seriously. Dead on.

Seafarer12
November 6, 2008, 10:38 PM
what do you think the starwars blaster was based on?

kcmarine
November 6, 2008, 10:44 PM
Yeah. I just didn't think George Lucas or whoever came up with the blaster design would actually study real firearms for the design...

kBob
November 6, 2008, 10:55 PM
kcmarine,

Storm troopers in first movie also carried MG34 machine guns. Han Solo carries a C96 mauser pistol tricked out with cone flash hider and scope and geegaws.

I believe Organa has a Soviet Margolin .22, but can't see it well on ancient VHS.

I believe the Jawa that captures C3PO and R2D2 has a cut down SMLE with a cup grenade launcher for modified Mills Bombs.

Tuscun Raiders have middle eastern Jeezeels with oddly mounted modern scopes and such (everybody needs a match lock or miquet lock with a laser range finding auto ranging scope)

In Empire Strikes back the rebel Infantry in the fight on Hoth are using StG-44 german WWII Assault Rifles.

Sure I missed several.

-Bob Hollingsworth

Dr. Fresh
November 6, 2008, 10:58 PM
I'd like to see a pistol version of this gun with a normal barrel length and no stock.

kBob
November 6, 2008, 11:09 PM
AN aquintence that is a liscensed manufacturer did pre'86 conversions on the sterling guns which this resembles and did SBR conversions both with the "civilian" front end shown in the linked sight and with a front end like the SMGs have.

I liked the actual Sterling Patchett SMGs but not enought to buy one!

-Bob Hollingsworth

November 6, 2008, 11:15 PM
I see an SBR in my future.

nalioth
November 6, 2008, 11:35 PM
I believe Organa has a Soviet Margolin .22, but can't see it well on ancient VHS. //shows nerd card//

The Princess' pistol was a modded Beretta 76 (A copy of Fantastic Films in my youth had the whole Star Wars weapons thing 'splained.)

You see, ol' George didn't have much money, so he used surplus weapons and glued gewgaws on 'em to turn 'em into 'space guns'.

In The Empire Strikes Back, you can see blank casings ejecting from an Imperial blaster being fired by Lando Calrissian.

Nowadays, the guns are plain plastic and the actors simulate the recoil and the digital artists paint in the laser beams.

Float Pilot
November 6, 2008, 11:42 PM
Years ago, I got to shoot the heck out of some real Sterlings that belonged to a group of Royal Marines. We had a big shooting party amongst various countries and it was a real hoot.
I really liked the Sterling SMG as a good stable platform. It was very accurate when fired in semi auto and very controllable when fired full auto. Plus it was built like a tank and refused to foul up. It and the UZI were real dirty battlefield sub guns. Particualry when compared to the overly complicated and tight tolerance HK designs which were originally developed for police work or very short term operations.

HorseSoldier
November 7, 2008, 12:32 AM
Meh.

The real Sterlings I've shot had a nice cool factor, but weren't real impressive in the accuracy or reliability department. (They may have been higher mileage than the ones Float Pilot got to shoot, and/or less well maintained than the Royal Marines do . . .).

The main thing a Sterling seems good for is winning a gunfight in a phone booth, and that 16" barrel kind of takes away from that. And then there's the Century factor . . .

maddog1775
November 7, 2008, 01:31 AM
Definitely suspicious of the Century factor. If they imported it, fine. But if they made it its quality will be very suspect. Most Century guns I've seen (or in one case, bought) were only worth buying if your intention was to strip off all the good parts and put them on a new receiver.

When I think of what conditions at their factory must be like I picture a cage full of wild monkeys wielding hammers and Dremmel tools.

Gunnerpalace
November 7, 2008, 01:39 AM
I'm a fan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvxbfbYdzlA

I'd buy an FA one though but those look cool.

HorseSoldier
November 7, 2008, 02:32 AM
Definitely suspicious of the Century factor. If they imported it, fine. But if they made it its quality will be very suspect. Most Century guns I've seen (or in one case, bought) were only worth buying if your intention was to strip off all the good parts and put them on a new receiver.

It's going to have to be something Century does some serious tinkering on, since the Sterling is an open bolt design and if I remember right, the ATF reflexively considers those verboten machineguns. Hopefully they're using someone's already tested and proven closed-bolt conversion design and not something they worked out in-house.

woodybrighton
November 7, 2008, 03:45 AM
the original smgs were unbelievably well built for what they were 9mm bullet hoses issued to people who didn't want a rifle or couldn't carry one ie they had a mortar on there back:mad:
fold up next to nothing and could be forgotten about so much as a Territorial army platoon radio op after one exercise sorted out the signals gear and headed home with SMG still strapped round my back :fire:
red face Monday morning sneaking it back into the armoury.
fired some horrendous Pakistani 9mm at 100 metres was sticking in plywood targets:(

screechjet1
November 7, 2008, 01:09 PM
I'd definately pick one of those up. Sterlings had a good rep, and an SBR would be a wonderful little rifle.

grimjaw
November 7, 2008, 01:39 PM
Personally I'd like a Beretta M12, but that Sterling looks nifty.

gopguy
November 7, 2008, 01:43 PM
I'd like to see a pistol version of this gun with a normal barrel length and no stock. Actually Sterling made them, a small number were imported prior to being banned. I had one but sold it years ago. Kind of heavy and rather ill balanced.

Eightball
November 7, 2008, 02:24 PM
Ooooooh, spiffy! What's the MSRP?

briansmithwins
November 7, 2008, 10:54 PM
2 questions:

How much are mags?

Does CAI actually build these or just sell them? CAI I don't trust to make a sandwich.

BSW

nalioth
November 7, 2008, 11:03 PM
Does CAI actually build these or just sell them? CAI I don't trust to make a sandwich. I'd not hold your breath.

http://www.novarata.net/abrams/century-arms-sterling-smg.gif

. . . then again, Century might just be importing them ( but I don't think this is the case ).

K.O.A.M.
April 7, 2009, 01:22 PM
Wiselite Arms is making these for Century. The Wiselite markings are on the tube, leaving the original magwell good to go.

zoom6zoom
April 7, 2009, 06:33 PM
If they've built them to original specs, the Sterling will also accept Sten mags, which you'll be able to find much cheaper.

briansmithwins
April 7, 2009, 07:00 PM
If they've built them to original specs, the Sterling will also accept Sten mags, which you'll be able to find much cheaper.

You sure about that?

STEN mags are single position feed while the Sterling uses 2 position. I'd think the stripping lug on the bolt would be different enough to prevent interchangeability of magazines. BSW

BlackHand1917
April 9, 2009, 12:28 AM
I remember seeing semi-auto Sterlings being sold in the eighties and then they disappeared. I seem to remember that they were rather expensive. I don't know if Century Arms was the importer back then.

AmEngRifles
April 24, 2009, 06:30 AM
These are now available! Bought one just last week. Haven’t had time to fire it. Looks pretty close to an original Mk 6 semi-auto by Sterling BUT not perfect. Bought from Phoenix Distributors on GunBroker. Paid well under what an original Sterling would go for. Since the magazines ARE available and have an excellent reputation for reliability, and the gun is a blowback design, figured “How WRONG could they get it”? Will find out soon.

The difficult thing right now is that the Century Arms sales rep I spoke to shouldn’t even be allowed to speak to the outside world. THE worst phone personality I have experienced with a sales rep. Knew almost nothing about them. They are made by Wise Lite and I need to contact them next. Century International Arms is the main distributor. No idea how many are to be produced.

I am wondering as well how the kits were procured. Yes, there appears to be plenty of the full auto Sterling Mk 4 parts kits out there, but this has all the features of the Sterling designed semi-auto Mk 6. The heavy, then slim, long barrel, the special trunnion for said barrel, the firing pin spring, the knurled barrel retainer nut, modified receiver front end, and the double recoil spring set up. I can not imagine there was a huge (OR ANY) surplus market on Mk 6 kits? So Wise Lite would have to manufacture the modified bolt/firing pin, the receiver body and the barrel and nut set up. I guess this would not be too difficult for a firearms manufacturer. The barrel forward exposed section did seem slightly thinner over the original Sterling Mk6 I once owned.

But for a third of the price on what one would expect to pay for an original, I am very happy with the general appearance of the remade classic. Now to see how it performs. I will post an update when I can get to the range.

Some final observations about MY Sterling as made by Wise Lite.

The holes that are drilled around the circumference of the forward receiver appear to be slightly larger than the originals, but not by much. Probably no one will notice. There is NO bayonet stud on the receiver (really useless on a Mk6) and one of the arms on the folding stock was bent, but did not effect the folding and functioning of the stock. The end piece on the receiver tube, which contains the somewhat complicated locking camway for the tube cap and butt stock folding mechanism, is cut just forward of the rear sight and welded to the newly manufactured receiver tube. The weld is reasonably good, but is somewhat apparent. Should not effect function, as long as they got the overall finished receiver tube length correct.

AmEngRifles
April 24, 2009, 06:46 AM
In reply to briamsmithwins inquiry about Sten mag compatibility with the Sterling; an emphatic, YES, Sten mags work in a Sterling. This was designed into the gun from the beginning. You have to imagine with millions of Sten mags, the British Government would at least want to have them as a backup. That is how I look at them, a cheap secondary supply.

The bolt is designed to be able to pick up rounds from the double feed Sterling mag and the single feed of the Sten. Don't ask me about the engineering needed there, but they designed it specifically to function that way.

The pros and cons of each mag.

Sterlings: Pros, ubbersmooth. Easy to load, well built and easy to clean. Great double roller follower that gives great performance. Cons: a little expensive, especially compared to a Sten mag. BUT, reasonable compared to many other mags out there, especially considering you are getting a real work of art in the magazine world. I have noticed Sterling mags run from the reasonable $35 to $40 price all the way up to the ridiculous $90 range.

Stens: Pros, cheap!! plentiful, hold 32 rounds, but probably should only load 30 at a time. Some have chromed followers. Cons. A b#*!ch to load. You HAVE to have a mag loader to do it, otherwise, you can load about 15 rounds before you want to just use it as a club. This now means you have to keep that mag loader handy and close by ever time you need to reload. Used to about $5 a pop, but prices are starting to climb. About $10.00 a mag seems to be obtainable for the time being.

Hope this helps.

woodybrighton
April 24, 2009, 03:00 PM
probably the most reliable 9mm smg
the original were carved out of single blocks of steel
so should be fairly well built its not like there's much to go wrong

Gunnerpalace
April 24, 2009, 10:05 PM
So..................Where do I get one?

briansmithwins
April 24, 2009, 11:41 PM
This is CAI we are talking about. I'd really like the Sterling to be good, but...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/briansmithwins/CAarms.jpg

BSW

armoredman
April 25, 2009, 12:20 AM
That is the most perfect Century picture ever!
Honestly, I would buy one if
A), the drunken monkeys had nothing to do with putting it together.
B) The price was reasonable for a 9mm semi auto carbine. (What IS the price?)
C) Someone comes out with an Imperial Stormtrooper dressup kit for it, like the MG42 kit for the Ruger 10/22 - I wanna Star Wars blaster....I saw that movie when it came out in '77...

Ric_Knight
April 25, 2009, 12:22 PM
I just looked on Gun Broker.com and found one (http://v4.beta.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=127470599) for 570.00 at this point.

I am interested in one of these myself and would love to hear from someone who owns one and has shot it.

woodybrighton
April 25, 2009, 12:26 PM
I can't imagine they can mess up a blow back 9mm :uhoh:
its not accurate or high powered

Gelgoog
April 25, 2009, 12:28 PM
the ones on gunbroker typically end around $900

Gunnerpalace
April 25, 2009, 05:09 PM
That is the most perfect Century picture ever!

Actually it is of Vulcan Arms (Parody)

As for the Sterling, nice but I think somebody has no common sense if they are paying 900 for one.

AmEngRifles
April 27, 2009, 02:48 PM
A little more info about the Wise Lite manufactured Sterling 9mm. Century DOES NOT make these. They are the possibly the sole distributor. They are not overly free with information about this product. Wise Lite does not feature it on their website at this time, even though they are the manufacturer as inscribed on the weapons rear receiver.. No MSRP is published, that I have found.

I have observed only two for sale in the very recent past. Both came from Phoenix Distributors in PA. Both have been listed on GunBroker. When I called about my purchased rifle (through GunBroker auction) I was told they only had the ONE. That proved to be false, as another was listed immediately following mine. That one went for $735.00. I paid $850.00 for mine as I had no reference point other than what I have observed real Sterlings going for in recent months (over $2,400.00). The gun is reasonably attractive in it’s execution. It is NOT a Sterling, but then again, no where near the going prices of a Sterling.

My first range outing did not prove 100% satisfactory. I will say that 115 grain fmj ammo worked witout a hitch. But I started out with shooting 124 gr. NATO spec 9mm, which is what the original was designed around. These would jam about ever 2nd or 3rd round. What appeared to be happening was that the bullet was jamming up against the entry edge of the chamber. On many bullets, it would drive the bullet deeper into the case. A few bullets displayed deep gouges on the forward portion of the bullet, leading me to suspect the chamber needs a bit of an “entry roll”. So, as it stands, this rifle definitley doesn’t like the 124 grain fmj bullet. I am hoping Wise Lite can resolve this. If they can’t, or won’t, then some judicious Dremel work may help out. Although I am also experiencing difficulty removing the barrel by my old Mk6 proceedures. No manual was included with this rifle. Hope they do not tack weld the barrel into position. That would make the barrel nut superfolous.

By the way, bullet impact was about 12” low at 50 yards for both bullet weights. Hoping I can figure out if the front sight adjusts for elevation. It appears it will, but will need a few tools. If it won’t, there is always the file! :-) This gun will make an awsome SBR, but want to work out all bugs before I apply to convert. Saty tuned.

R.W.Dale
April 27, 2009, 02:52 PM
Actually it is of Vulcan Arms (Parody)

As for the Sterling, nice but I think somebody has no common sense if they are paying 900 for one.

You need a bottle of cheap booze in the pic

Remember these are supposed to be DRUNKEN monkeys:neener:

RyanM
April 27, 2009, 03:00 PM
You need a bottle of cheap booze in the pic

Remember these are supposed to be DRUNKEN monkeys

Krochus beat me to it.

I'd be tempted to get one if they could be found for under $600.

zoom6zoom
April 27, 2009, 04:00 PM
Quote:
You sure about that?

STEN mags are single position feed while the Sterling uses 2 position. I'd think the stripping lug on the bolt would be different enough to prevent interchangeability of magazines. BSW

Yes, I'm sure because I own a factory original Sterling Mk6 semi-auto. Hate to tell you what I paid for it. Sterling designed the gun so that the millions of existing Sten mags could be used in it, but owners of the older Stens couldn't just buy the more advanced Sterling mags and use them in the older guns. It's a one-way compatibility. Luckily I have about a dozen original Sterling mags.

Another interesting Sterling mag fact: the original spec was for a 40 round mag. By cutting it down to 34 rounds, they were able to use the existing Sten mag pouches that had already been issued. With the roller follower and the round center spring, these mags are the easiest to load I've ever seen. The 34th round loads by thumb as easily as the first.

There are some Canadian made mags around that don't have the roller follower, as they were trying to avoid patent royalty payments.

Woody, mine is accurate as hell. Better than some of my wondernine pistols. Single hole groups.

If you want to learn more about Sterlings, get a copy of the book, "The Guns of Dagenham".

AmEngRifles
April 28, 2009, 12:39 PM
Heads up Sterling fans. Once again, Phoenix Distributors has a CAI Sterling up on GunBroker. So, that means I jumped too quickly as this one starts at $500 and with only 4 days left, no one has bid. No reserve either, so you could end up with a reasonable copy of a very nice sub-gun for just 500! Hell, you can't get an AT-9 Feather or a Marlin camp carbine for that! Well, MAYBE a camp carbine if you shop it.

As has been detailed though, expect possibly some issues with the feeding of 124 grain NATO rounds. Mine feeds 115 grain just fine, but still trying to resolve with Wise Lite the issue of jams with the heavier bullet. I suspect I will need to soften the transition from the breech face to the chamber, but before I do it on my own, I am giving Wise Lite the chance to make mine right.

One other little detail I don't particularly like. I inquired about the non-removable barrel. I was instructed that they are removable but a TIGHT fit and that if I was to remove mine (which they didn't recommend), and not be able to re-install, that this would NOT be covered under the warranty. Ugh. Why is it so hard for people to get the little things right!?

Gelgoog
April 28, 2009, 01:12 PM
I have watched the last 5 auctions, and they all jump up in price at the very end, your not going to get that for $500 nor are you going to get it for $600. Now that these are getting more press on boards like this, your probably wont get it for $700 either.

VirgilCaine
April 28, 2009, 02:06 PM
Well, at least it doesn't start at over $1,000.

Also, these seem useless without being SBRed.

But who can resist having your very own E-11 (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/E-11_blaster_rifle)?

briansmithwins
April 28, 2009, 04:05 PM
How much would a Sterling + 10 mags cost?

I got my Uzi for $650. 10 X 32rnd mags were about $137, for a total cost of $787.

Seems that if Sterling mags are $40 each, you'd have to get the Sterling itself for $390 or so for it to be competitive costwise.

BSW

AmEngRifles
April 28, 2009, 05:24 PM
BSW, when did you get your Uzi? A few months back; a year? Prices have become so volatile since Obama's election that I can't see how one would get an Uzi for anything under a grand unless it was a Norinco, and I won't buy any gun made in China.

Anyway, at todays prices, the CAI Sterling is less expensive than a quality Uzi. Figure an Uzi today will run anywhere between $1,100 to $1,500 for a Vector on up from $1,600.00 plus range for an IMI.

Yes, mags are a little cheaper for the Uzi, but the Sterling mag has a stellar reputation with the roller follower and 34 round capacity. Uzi wins if you like to run the 40 rounders or even the 50 rounders sometimes seen. Did IMI ever make 40's and 50's or are these strictly "aftermarket"?

There is that undefinable quality in the process of just plain individual taste. I like the Uzi, but to me it seems overly heavy and a bit bulky for a 9mm. That being said, I know this is a benefit in a full auto. So my observations are based more on the fact most of us are probably comparing semi-auto rifles at the moment. But for me, the Sterling is a little seen weapon of limited distribution in this country. It does seem slighter and lighter to my taste. Some have said they don't like the balance of the Sterling. I do not have any issue with the side protruding magazine. I still support the forward section under the receiver and don't grab the mag from above like so many seem to do with the Sterling.

AmEngRifles
April 29, 2009, 10:41 AM
Current CAI Sterling auction is now at $700. Thanks Gelgoog, I am less disappointed at spending the money I did if they continue to hover above the 700 to 750 mark. Wished I had known there was a supply of them and watched a few go through the auction process.

Do you recall if all 5 were from Phoenix Distributors?

Apple a Day
April 29, 2009, 05:57 PM
Oops.
Disregard/

briansmithwins
April 29, 2009, 07:06 PM
Yes, I got my Uzi a year ago. This one sold for $995 http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=126009953 so prices have gone up.

I agree that the Uzi is a heavy firearm. It's heavy because it's very, very overbuilt. The receiver on the Uzi is substantially thicker than the receiver on my RPK Klone. Uzi's are also very compact. The telescoped bolt makes for a very efficient use of space.

I wouldn't know about 40 or 50 round mags for the Uzi. I only have IMI mags, which have all been totally trouble free.

I'm not seeing a lot of Sterling mags. The ones I did see were $40 ea. So if I redo my math:

$1000 Uzi + 10 mags = $1137
$700 Sterling +10 mags = $1100

Which does tend to make the Sterling look a bit better from a cash standpoint. BSW

Big Daddy Grim
April 29, 2009, 07:08 PM
Not sure if I want one or not

Dan Crocker
April 29, 2009, 07:17 PM
That's just a cheap knock-off of the Blastech EB-11 Stormtrooper rifle. g*ddamned Brits!

AmEngRifles
April 30, 2009, 07:36 AM
What I just noticed doing a quick look at the three manufactured Uzi models is that in each category, only one or two are actually being bid on. That seems odd. Wonder if the market is slowing for some reason?

Of course, since only one Sterling shows up at a time, it is being bid on and is up to $740 now. The last one went for $735. I suspect for now the price is going to hover at the $750 range. Most people probably don't know about the new Sterlings. Have they had any press coverage? Like in Guns and Ammo? Both Wise Lite and Century are missing the boat as far as marketing their products.

I am also an old Armalite AR-180 fan and enjoy watching these sell. They don't always reach Reserve, but they are bid on quite actively.

AmEngRifles
April 30, 2009, 12:57 PM
What sources do you know for Sterling mags in like new condition? The best price I know of are the groups of 5 for $175.00 on GunBroker. Is there another source?

dmckean44
April 30, 2009, 08:41 PM
They look to be $569.95 at J&G, not bad:

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/p/sterling-sporter-9mm-16in-by-cia/products_id/3446

AmEngRifles
April 30, 2009, 08:54 PM
Oh, now THAT hurts! Good find mckean44. Wish I had waited just a bit. Thanks for the great link!

Javelin
April 30, 2009, 09:03 PM
I've shot one in Iraq back in 2003. The Sterlings that we had confiscated were junk. Hopefully these are better than the originals.

:)

AmEngRifles
May 1, 2009, 12:18 PM
Javelin, I have to deduce that if you "confiscated" those Sterlings, they were contraband held by; A. citizens of Iraq, or B. suspected insurgent types, neither of which probably did much routine maintenance or cleaning. Any weapon left to the elements and not cared for will degrade to a point of junk. Some quicker than others. The M-4 could be considered the same if it had thousands of rounds run through it with no concern for cleaning or maintenance. We found that out back during Viet Nam. Anyway, this isn't a contradiction of your experience, just an observation that any gun can be looked upon poorly if it has been neglected. Overall the Sterling has a very good reputation as a sub-gun. That reputation stems mainly from the professional individuals that maintain and operate the weapon within a specified application. The semi auto, since they are an altered design, do not always prove quite as reliable. But once you get it dialed in, it brings together a very efficient design. As we can see though, these Century guns have their issues as well. If we keep on Century, and Wise Lite (where I have more confidence), they may just get it right and we would have another choice for those that like something a bit different. I like the 570 offer from J&G.

AmEngRifles
May 1, 2009, 12:21 PM
Javelin, almost forgot, what other weapons did you get a chance to try out when in Iraq? I have heard that in the middle East they had a special cut down version of the old .303 Bren gun, and have only caught a short glimpse of one. One of the gun mags, either SOF or SAR did an article about the diversity of weapons coming out of those confiscations. Wonder where most of those weapons end up. Does the US destroy them in place?

sterling7c
May 1, 2009, 09:51 PM
First off hello to all as a newbie on the forum.
Javelin: I don't know what Sterlings you got to fire back in Iraq but they must have been really bady (not just badly) treated for a l-o-n-g-g-g time to malfunction. I used the L2A3 for many years in just about every hostile environment and they were totally reliable as well as being extremely accurate. We had to change to the MP5's for political reasons (who can figure out top brass anyway) and didn't much care for them. Easily disabled (God help you if you drop one on it's top side even on moderately hard ground), they DO cook-off after only moderate burst use, and it's nowhere near as easy to empty a full mag on target with them as it is with a Sterling. Not that full mag emptying is often necessary but it was nice to know it could be done.

To stay on topic: the MK 6's that are being put out now are not really identical to the original British SA model (e.g. look at the shape of the ejection port) but they are a pretty good buy at the JG price especially when you compare that cost to (say) an UZI A or B. Yes you can use sten mags in them but that's like putting an OEM mag in your carry gun .. why take the chance. Sten mag lips can easily be tweaked to feed reliably but as I think has already been said on the forum you'd better have either a mag loader or a few spare thumbs if you're not gloved !! The Sterling mag loads like a FAL rifle mag .. just roll the rounds in .. 1 to 34 so easy .. but the Sten mag .. just plain 'orrible.

AmEngRifles: the Bren in original configuration was/is one superb LMG as anyone who has fired one will tell you. Their only real limitation was in mag capacity but with a two man team that was never an issue. They've been seen cut down and hacked in many different ways by various 'groups' all around the world and they would still run fine but none were originally manufactured with a shorter barrel.

Best to everyone.

sterling7c
May 1, 2009, 10:20 PM
AmEngRifles: sorry forgot to respond to your question on mags:

What sources do you know for Sterling mags in like new condition? The best price I know of are the groups of 5 for $175.00 on GunBroker. Is there another source?

$175 is the starting price and they usually go for $200 for 5 but I have to add a rider that (in my experience) the supplier is none too swift in shipping recently and that the description of 'new old stock' shouldn't be taken too seriously.

As for other suppliers which was your real question the answer is yes: try http://www.geocities.com/psarms/SAPriceList.htm

Not the cheapest but they do know Sterlings and you do get what you pay for. Heck, mags for my Steyr GB are around the $180 - $200 mark and are almost impossible to find. Great mag design though.

The other current (dealer) listing for Sterling mags on GB is a Dutch auction, last time I looked they were $40 a piece and the housings looked pretty well worn. Usually that's no problem since they will almost certainly still lockup fine .. it's the roller condition that counts. You can also use sten springs if you need to.

A bit off topic but maybe of interest, I've found the Carl Gustav M45 36 round (final adoption) mags to be the only equal to the Sterling mags for reliability and ease of reloading.

zoom6zoom
May 2, 2009, 01:32 PM
Mags:
$35, need some cleaning / refinishing
http://www.ima-usa.com/product_info.php/cPath/161_155/products_id/1830
$40, "good condition"
http://www.ima-usa.com/product_info.php/cPath/161_155/products_id/1570

I've always had good dealings with these folks.

sterling7c
May 3, 2009, 05:11 AM
zoom6zoom: good enough company but their 'good condition' Sterling mags are pretty lousy (inc. their hand picked from best in stock + $5) which is why I didn't mention them. FWIW I always give a gun the best mag I can. It's cheaper in the long run, usually less frustrating and for carry it's essential (IMHO).

nero45acp
May 3, 2009, 11:05 AM
I'd like to get one, but I want to see a few more range reports from folks before I do.

nero

dmckean44
May 3, 2009, 05:03 PM
Where are the 34 round mags with these new sterlings coming from?

AmEngRifles
May 3, 2009, 09:45 PM
Mine came with a commercial Sterling mag, the type most people are familiar with. These are the 4 piece constructed mags with the distinctive scalloped edge down the back of the mag made by the Sterling company and not the British Government. Mine appears to have refinished. It had more of a flat parkerizing that the original mags come with. I suspect Century bulk purchased these and they needed a little freshening up.

Here is another little tidbit of info. Apparently Century is contracting to have the barrel made (not by WiseLite) and all parts are shipped to WiseLite for final assembly. I will be taking my feed issue to Century now. I think I am at the very front of the user curve on these Century guns. Wondering if a few more will experience my problem so I can force Century's hand to look hard at their dimensional similarities to the original and correct any shortcomings.

Even with this known issue, since no one knows how long these things may be in the pipeline, I would buy one now from J&G and get it corrected once that correction is arrived at. Remember, mine does feed 115 grain fmj flawlessly. I will move to try 115 hollowpoints next. I am hoping the problem will be relatively easy to fix, even IF I have to find a good gunsmith and make the correction independently.

At just under 6, J&G's is the real bargain. I noticed the last Sterling on GB went for one dollar more than I paid (again from Phoenix). Poor guy must not know about J&G either.

zoom6zoom
May 3, 2009, 10:02 PM
IMA must be nearing the bottom of the barrel, then. The ones I got from them last year were almost new in condition. I lucked out and also found another batch on GB for $15 each, so I have about a dozen now including a 15 round Canadian.

AmEngRifles
May 4, 2009, 10:33 AM
I am noticing that the ones on GB are now climbing as well. When there were no new Sterlings, I suspect it was tough to move these mags at any volume. I think that will change very quickly.

AmEngRifles
May 5, 2009, 09:32 PM
Latest Range Report

2nd time out. Rifle did MUCH better. Egg on my mug as the 124 grains DO work in this rifle. I apparently had 2 mags that had issues first time out. Took different mags to range this time and they fed everything! 115 grain fmj, 115 grain hollow points and 124 grain fmj. I am all smiles. This is a great little carbine. Even managed to work in some Sten mags and they do fine as well.

BUT, I have some of the Finish made mags (these are marked SA in a square, lower front of mag) and they do not even want to go in the mag well. VERY TIGHT, to the point that if you force them in, you can't get them back out. I think the mags I took today were all Brit mags. If they fit in the mag well, they will feed. Best way to shop for Sten mags for the Sterling is to either buy one of a make before making larger purchase or take your Sterling to the gun shows and test fit the mag before purchasing.

I am very pleased except for the fact that I paid a bit too much and discovered too late J&G selling with a set price. They are in stock too as I made the inquiry yesterday.

sterling7c
May 5, 2009, 11:37 PM
AmEngRifles: great to hear that your MK 6 is now a runner with 124's. If you get issues with a Sterling mag just shove a new sten spring in - it'll work. If it's the rollers (rare) try what you're never supposed to do and squirt some thick lithium based grease between the roller and it's pin - usually works fine. As for paying a little too much for your item .. heck they could have come and gone in a jiffy then you'd be kicking yourself for not picking one up while you could :) Wish I had a dollar for every gun I paid a bit too much for - I'd be pretty well off by now. I think most all of us shooters would be too. A bird in the hand .......

Ric_Knight
May 6, 2009, 05:02 PM
Not the full size mags we all would want, but these are available as well (https://www.southernohiogun.com/index.php/magazines/15rd-magazine-for-sterling-9mm.html)

AmEngRifles
May 7, 2009, 07:57 PM
My understanding from other sites like UziTalk and GunBoards is that these 15 round Sterling mas at $18.00 are now gone! That didn't take long. I suspect that with this new batch of Sterling rifles being put out by Century, this neglected market will heat up quickly.

Apparently SOG has the Sterlings on backorder. J&G has them in stock, but they are behind in shipping by 2 to 3 weeks. I would go ahead and order up. I think they are going to be just fine. I have had Century actually fix guns for me in the past. While their consistency may SUK, they are trying to run a business and I suspect they will try to keep the customer base happy. And as I stated before, if Century won't fix any problems, I will pay a proper gunsmith to make it right and run. The design is so simple, how hard can it be!!??

Reference the fact that I haven't seen an original Sterling for sale in a good number of months. And if you do, it will more than likely be over 2 Gs. For a WHOLE lot less money, I feel confident I can make this gun run right. I am thinking more and more my initial problem was mag related. Just ordered 6 more new mags to try out. And those were still at $35 a piece. Pretty good buy in my book for a quality mag.

Thanks Sterling7 for the tip. I will take those 2 questionable mags and try running with Sten springs in them. Wish someone would come out with a mandrel to correct feed lip geometry on the Sterling mags.

AmEngRifles
May 9, 2009, 09:56 AM
OK, Here are some detail photo on my Sterling. The more I live with it and observe it, the happier I am with it.

Enjoy!

HAVOCCENTRAL
May 15, 2009, 05:18 PM
My friend just got one of these from J&G. We live in Prescott, Az. so it was just a matter of walking in the store. We went shooting and it was going cyclic on us. At first it would pop off two round bursts, than it popped off six or seven. It jammed quite a bit too, but we were using Wolf ammo so that may have been the problem.
Someone mentioned theirs was firing about 12" low, so was this one.
My friend took it back to J&G and told the salesman it was slam firing and going cyclic, the guy says "oh thats not a problem, it won't hurt anything, it won't fire uless the round is locked in there". My buddy told him he would like to trade it out/get his money back just the same. They traded it out no problem.
We will be shooting it this Sunday, so if we come across any more issues I will post them here.

rogertc1
May 15, 2009, 05:30 PM
CenterFireSystems.com has them On BO. I my self put a M31 Suomi semi auto on order as i already own a Master Piece Arms 971 that takes the Suomi drums and mages.

armoredman
May 15, 2009, 05:34 PM
The salesman at J&G said "no problem" to a semi-auto firearm going full auto unintentionally? Double plus ungood! Glad you traded it back before ATFE found you with it, and put you next to the kid with the malfunctioning AR-15!!

Dawg180
May 15, 2009, 07:27 PM
Looks like my credit card got dinged by J&G today, I hope to have mine in hand by the end of next week!

sterling7c
May 18, 2009, 07:32 PM
HAVOCCENTRAL said:

My friend just got one of these from J&G. We live in Prescott, Az. so it was just a matter of walking in the store. We went shooting and it was going cyclic on us. At first it would pop off two round bursts, than it popped off six or seven. It jammed quite a bit too, but we were using Wolf ammo so that may have been the problem.

If they've done the semi conversion properly (as per the original Sterling semi) this sould be impossible. I've used an original semi from Sterling Armaments UK for many years and not once have I had a double. As for ammo it should feed just about anything including Wolf (if you absolutely must use it :)

Seems that the Sterling just doesn't appeal too much in the US (as in better get an UZI) and I've seen several posts say they're inaccurate, not too reliable and don't balance well. I must've been shooting different Sterlings for donkey's years because I've NEVER had a problem. Had problems with UZI's in sandy environments which sounds crazy seeing as where they came from but the Sterling worked in course sand, talcum sand, snow, ice, mud and everything else it was subject to. For the record this isn't my opinion - it's been my experience and the experience of just about everyone else who used them.

Got to say though that the full size UZI does balance better if using only one hand. Now ... anyone got a 'GUZI L34A1' by any chance :) I'd sure be in the market for something like that even if my bank balance wasn't !!

zoom6zoom
May 18, 2009, 09:59 PM
There's a great video clip on the AGI Sterling Armorer's Course DVD showing the guy shooting two Mk4's (full auto) at once. Not even any muzzle climb to speak of.

AmEngRifles
May 18, 2009, 10:50 PM
Just to reiterate, this thread started about the Century built Sterling. I understand the observations about the original Sterling from the UK. I agree from past experience, that whether full auto or semi-auto, they function flawlessly under most conditions. But even a first rate firearm can malfunction if not serviced properly.

In Century's case, even small dimensional changes can change things. There seems to be a question about Century's barrel dimensions as they appear to display 2 issues. One of disassembly (barrel too tight in trunion) AND feeding issues CAN occur, but not always. From my early observations and range time, I am pretty sure that Century is having barrels made that DO NOT have the exact same breech face to chamber radius, thus giving some feed issues, IF a magazine has questionable feed lip geometry and is not just so and in spec. When the bullet does not release from the magazine at the intended moment and angle, that is when issues can occur, especially if there is a sharp edge to impale your bullet onto.

My original barrel appeared to have a larger/smoother radius transitioning from the breech face into the chamber, but without being able to remove the barrel (Wiselite informs me that replacement of barrel back into a tight trunnion IS NOT covered by warranty), it is hard to get an exact account of that radius. Plus, these barrels that Century is having made somewhere, do not have chrome chambers, like the original Mk 6. I am absolutely certain that a softer transition and a chrome chamber would go along way to forgiving a magazine that might be slightly out of spec due to damage.

Century has also been very slow to respond to my request for a manual. Mine came without one because I suspect someone at Phoenix Distributors removed it to browse and never returned to box. I sent my serial number in (as instructed) including where it was purchased, but no manual yet to date. Been 2 weeks. Seems a company would gladly send a manual on a current production firearm, even without having a serial number.

Just be aware that these guns ARE NOT Sterling Manufactured rifles. Therefore, they will not display all the good manors of the original. Not yet at least.

Would still like to hear anyone else's experience with their Century Sterling. Looking to ring out all issues so that others may not suffer a similar fate.

Dawg180
May 19, 2009, 01:38 AM
I would call Century abotu the manual and remind them that by law they are required to provide you with an operating manual for the firearm.

BTW, thanks for your review of the weapon, it was what convinced me to give it a shot and purchase one.

AmEngRifles
May 19, 2009, 10:28 AM
Your welcome Dawg.

While I jumped before looking on this rifle, it is because I have a real love of the little machine. Paid too much for the first one, but have now paid the right price for a second through J&G. I don't expect anything to be significantly different than the first rifle, but plan on moving forward with getting one SBR'ed. The great thing is they are reasonably priced, in my mind. That is because when I did own an original Sterling, I sold it for about 2.5k. WAY too much for that little piece of metal, but that is how the market was working at the time. Of course, like almost all my guns sold, I missed it after it was gone. I like the fact that we can now get them for well under 1k.

Dawg180
May 20, 2009, 02:04 PM
I have a buddy who has two Sterling MK VI guns, and deicded to sell one and buy one of these so he could still have two sterling carbines and could pocket about $1300 in the process! ;)

He actually has a very rare Sterling fixed stock and wants to mount it, but wouldn't dare do that to an original Sterling, so he felt this was the best way to go about it (and end up with some play money to boot).

Dawg180
May 22, 2009, 09:30 PM
Got mine today, fit and finish look good, I hope to range test on Monday.

AmEngRifles
May 23, 2009, 07:16 AM
Yeah. Congrats on the purchase. It is a sweet little rifle. Received my 2nd and looks every bit as good as the first, maybe slightly better.

Looking forward to your report. I am trying to get to the range today. Going to carefully check each mag for function issues.

AmEngRifles
May 23, 2009, 05:52 PM
OK, I am starting to see things differently. I LOVE this little carbine. Just got back from 3rd outing and it ran 100%. Used two like new Sterling mags, no issues. Used two Sten mags, no issues.

Feed 115 fmj and hollow point. Feed 124 grain fmj and hollow point. Feed 125 grain lean round nose. Feed 147 grain hollow points. Seems it was all due to a few bad mags. Ate everything I fed it. Got the sights adjusted as well so I am spot on now at 100 yards. Great fun double tapping like running through a pistol course. Have more than a few chewed up targets now. :rolleyes:

I am a believer. Hope you will become a believer too.

MP-44
May 24, 2009, 02:51 PM
AmEngRifles,

How is the accuracy?

jhco
May 24, 2009, 03:33 PM
Cool, but I don't think I would buy one.

AirPower
May 24, 2009, 09:33 PM
How is that 16" bbl? Does it make the gun unbalanced?

AmEngRifles
May 25, 2009, 06:22 PM
MP44, Haven't really been too concerned about ringing out the accuracy issue yet. At this point, I am getting around 3" at 50 yards, and guessing about 7" or 8" at 100 yards. I am sure I could probably bring this down. I know the 2nd range report was on a very blustery day. I don't see this as being a much over 100 yard gun for sure. I was somewhat more focused on the reliability issue.

I can now move forward with finding a good match for the gun ammo wise. I am happy it feeds hollow points and lead. Save money by making lead practice rounds, and good to know if I want to run defensive ammo through her, the gun can handle it without choking up. Don't recall if I mentioned it, but she will handle CCI Blazer aluminum cased stuff as well. I am definitely getting more of that. Has a good strong recoil impulse, so I know I am getting some performance out of that load over my reloads. Was noticeably hotter. I have to say I have not thought of Blazer ammo as particularly accurate, but that may have been the 9mm pistol I used to use the stuff out of.

Airpower, I do not find the long barrel to do anything to the balance, but I am comparing that to things like handling an M-1 carbine, not a true Sub-gun sized Sterling. All I know up to this point is rifles that have minimum 16" barrels. Seems to me the only item which would throw off "balance" is a side protruding full 34 round magazine. :rolleyes: And even that does not bother me. With the small round receiver, a good grasp, assisted by the textured "crinkle" finish help one get a good purchase on the rifle, or certainly as good a grasp as one needs. I pretty much just lightly craddle the forend as I shoot. Not finding much need to choke the thing. :D If it was full auto, that might be a different matter!

AmEngRifles
May 28, 2009, 03:26 PM
Noticed that by an earlier link and a search, the J&G website no longer has the Sterling listed?? Wonder what's up?

Dawg180
May 28, 2009, 07:41 PM
Likely they ran out of stock- they try to list stuff when they have it and pull it when they are sold out.

AmEngRifles
May 29, 2009, 12:06 PM
I have noticed that there are now many more Sterlings for sale on GB and Phoenix Distributors starts their's at $500.00 with NO RESERVE. Glad they are down to a realistic number. Hoping this means many more people jump into the Sterling craze and we may see some new aftermarket products become available.

Would love to see a fake silencer that contains a new barrel nut so that if someone doesn't want to go the SBR route, they can still make the rifle look asthetically pleasing by having the profile of a silencer and not that pencil thin barrel protruding forward of the receiver.

AmEngRifles
June 22, 2009, 01:07 PM
I am in the middle of NOT cleaning my rifle and have a little over 600 rounds with no cleaning and no issues due to this. No stoppages due to cleaning issues. I still stick in a used mag once in a while and get a stoppage, but have now figured that those mags probably need to have their feed lips bent inward a little to delay release of the round. The ones that stop are releasing out of the mag too early and catching against the very sharp angle of the extractor relief cut on the breech face and chamber edge. If their release was delayed by just a little bit, I should have no problems. Using a new mag completely eliminates this.

Accuracy is getting a bit worse, but that is to be expected. I never experienced fantastic accuracy from this rifle. But without cleaning, I am sure the barrel is clogging up a bit.

I will definitely be applying to SBR this gun. If WiseLite was smart, they would offer a front cap that one could tap the existing holes in the barrel trunnion plate and attach a replica or real Mk4 cap with slightly oversized cap bolts. I just don't want to buy a $500.00 or even $250.00 parts kit to get that front cap to modify. Would really make the look, but I can probably get a shop to turn a close facimile for less than $100 if I have to.

zoom6zoom
June 22, 2009, 01:44 PM
Sterling parts kits have dropped in price quite a bit. $175 is the going rate many places (Apex for one).

AmEngRifles
June 23, 2009, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the heads up. The ones on GB still seem high, if they are the more complete kits with lots of front, perforated receiver tube.

Applegator
August 19, 2009, 01:19 AM
Here are a few pics of my Sterling with Rails. I picked up my Sterling a few weeks ago and just got a chance to shoot it this last weekend. This is one fun gun to shoot. The dual springs reduce the recoil to almost nothing. Its not like a 9mm rifle kicks that much anyway. It has a similar sensation as shooting an AR. Once I got the dot scope zeroed in, I could knock soda cans all over the range.

Added Items:

1) 6" Top Rail (AR Foregrip style)
This was interesting to mount. Removed the barrel and dropped the mounting bolts in the barrel sleeve. Used a screw driver with duct tape reversed to hold the bolts in place. Turned the bolts upside down so the flat part was facing the screw, otherwise, I could not get a tight fit. Used the front hole and center hole to mount the rail. This allows for part of the rail to be over the top of the receiver.

2) 2.25" Side Rail
The side rail is a 2-1/4" Brownells rail mount with a single 2-hole flat plate with threads. Used a dremel tool to remove material around the mounting plate thread posts so it could be pushed between two holes in the receiver. Replaced the long screws provided with the rail mount with short bolts from Lowes. I forgot the size, so take the rail mount and check the size at the hardware store. Mounted at an angle near the front sight.

3) Sig Red Dot Scope
Picked up a Sig Red Dot Sight and mounted it on the top rail. This is a nice compact red dot that seems to be well made.

4) Surefire LED Light.
Slid the light on the front rail. It was a tight fit between the two rails, but it slides on fine.

5) AR style cheap nylon sling
Still looking for a Sterling sling, but in the meantime used a key chain ring for the front mount.

6) 15 Round Magazine
I was lucky to get a brand new 15 round magazine on Gunbroker. The 34 round mags are nice as a reload, but I prefer the 15 round mag as the primary magazine for the gun. It keeps the entire gun compact and balanced.

NOTE FOR NFA UPGRADES:
Measured the sterling for a suppressor. The barrel needed to be shortened to 11" with an overall length of 30" with the stock extended for an SBR. The Tom Bowers 9mm suppressor can be mounted to the gun with no gunsmithing required (other than shortening the barrel). The Tom Bowers adapter matches the barrel nut threads and screws on tight to replace the barrel nut. The suppressor then can be threaded on the adapter. I will provide more pictures once I get my paperwork back and the work done. I am hoping that can happen in under 6 months.

briansmithwins
August 19, 2009, 12:13 PM
I just SBRed my Uzi. Went from the 16” barrel to the standard 10.2”. I didn't expect the handling to change very much but it did. Balance is much better and the weapon feels much more light than just the weight of the barrel. I suspect there would be a change for the better with the Sterling too when SBRed. BSW

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/briansmithwins/IMG_1500.jpg

Applegator
August 19, 2009, 05:08 PM
I am new to posting and still figuring out how to post pictures. Here are the pictures from my previous post of my Sterling Sporter with Rails.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa191/G14_photo/sterling1.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa191/G14_photo/sterling2.jpg

AmEngRifles
August 23, 2009, 09:22 AM
Nice work Applegator. I think the Sig sight looks just right, scale wise, on this little carbine. I have wondered about setting a rail at the 11 O'clock position so that both the reflex sight and the iron sights are visible. The weapon light could be switched over to the 2 O'clock position then.

I think similarly, if a rail was set at approximately the 7 O'clock position, then a forward hand grip could be mounted and hopefully the folding stock could still be folded forward. I have never found the "magazine grip", that one sees photographed all the time, to be either comfortable or convenient.

Wish someone would make a rail design that could be fitted without barrel removal as my barrel is so tight, I have not been able to remove it. One aspect of the Wiselite gun I am disappointed in.

Btw, I have finally settled that my feeding issues were all to do with 2 used mags. I fixed the problem by bending the feed lips inward so as to make them parallel as they direct a cartridge forward. That seemed to do the trick because those mags now feed flawlessly as well.

My observation in buying any used mag. These mags have a reputation for being smooth and reliable. The exterior finish can look dismal, but if the roller mechanism is rust free and clean and the inside of the mag is dent free and clean, then these mags can still give excellent service. If you end up with a feed issue, look at the feed lips and if they are not parallel with each other, take a small nylon or hard rubber mallet and tap the offending lip inward until it appears parallel with the other. On both my mags, it was the left side feed lip that was diverging away from the other lip. Once it was brought inward, it now feeds 100%.

Applegator
August 23, 2009, 11:00 AM
AmEngRifles

My barrel was very tight when I first got the Sterling. I tride two times to loosen the front barrel locking lug before I finally got it off.

Successful Method
1) Insert the largest allen wench in the front barrel lug hole that will fit
2) push the button on the Lug nut
3) Hold the gun firmly and unscrew the barrel lug. May have to get more leverage or tap the allen wrench with a hammer to get it started.

Once I took it off, the barrel slid out smoothly.

To completely remove the barrel, you have to remove the mag release mechanism by unscrewing the mag release button and removing the insert by removing the small allen screw that holds it in place.

Thanks for the information on the Mags. I will give that a try with a few of my problem mags. I picked up 10 mags from the guy selling them in lots of 5on Gunbroker.com. They are in very good condition, but two had a feeding problem. Taking them apart and cleaning the inside with a nylon brush and a little oil helped alot. One of the followers would stick midway on one mag that came with my Sterling. I filed the front of the follower a small bit and it works fine now.

One recommendation to all Sterling owners. Try to pick up atleast one 15 round mag if you can. They keep the gun compact and since the curve is minimal, they feed very well. I would like to get a few more, if I can find them at all and at decent price.

AmEngRifles
August 27, 2009, 09:34 PM
Thanks Applegator.

On barrel removal. The barrel nut or the ejector parts were not the issue with my gun. My barrel nut removes no problem. When I had the gun all stripped down, the barrel STILL won't budge out of the receiver. When I spoke with Wiselite, they informed me that barrel "replacement" was not a warranty item, code for "we really don't want you to remove the barrel". Not sure why that is a concern with them? They never said they were press fit into the barrel trunnion or support, but it sure seems that way.

Glad you have one that the barrel will come out of. I really hate to crank on my barrel too much and bend it or worse, if there is something WORSE than bending a barrel!?

Otherwise I love this little gun. I should include a picture of what I am describing with the mags, but if you REALLY pay attention to the way the feed lips relate to each other, I think most will see whether their lips are diverging or parallel. Know what I mean? It is a subtle difference, and one I did not pick up on at first, although I guess I did wonder why they were as they were. Now I have all mags, both new and used that give me good feeding.

Wise Lite Arms
August 30, 2009, 10:35 PM
Be real careful of how you take care of your barrels!
Right now I have every barrel in house or on the way allocated for manufacturing. That is why we can't sell any. If you ruin one now you may have to wait some time for a replacement. It would have to be co-ordinated with Century as they would be short a gun on the weekly delivery. We have done it for a customer, it just took time to be cleared.

By the way, we do have factory new STERLING lo-cap magazines available on our web site.

Regards,
Richard C. Hamer
Factory Representative
Wise Lite Arms
Class II Manufacturer
07 FFL SOT
FAX: (940) 433-8096
SALES: sales@wlarms.com
INFORMATION: info@wlarms.com

AmEngRifles
September 15, 2009, 12:48 PM
Dear WLA,

Are there any plans to produce some form of rail to be fitted to these Sterling?

Thanks,

AmEngRifles

cleardiddion
September 15, 2009, 01:18 PM
I really want one of these now...
Wish I had the money.

GunTech
September 15, 2009, 02:14 PM
Who wants a semi?

http://guntech.com/media/class3.jpg

Here's my daughter with my PAWS ZX-5 (US made Sterling copy)

http://guntech.com/misc/smg.mov

Owlnmole
September 15, 2009, 05:48 PM
Show off. ;-)

ziggymolly
September 20, 2009, 02:39 PM
Hi to all,
I'm a new member and just wanted to know if anybody who owns a Sterling 9mm Carbine has had a problems with the firing pin? I bought mine from Center Fire Systems back in July and took it to the range to see what it will do.It fuctions great with out any jams! Well after about 180 rds of ammo the firing pin broke! After cleaning the gun and inspecting the firing pin,the metal for this part looks really brittle. I was using Winchester brass ammo. I contacted Wise Lite Arms and explain the problem, and they sent me a new one free on charge because it was still under warranty. I guess when the warranty expires the firing pin will cost me $30 + $6 for shipping. I'm afraid to go again to the range because the new firing pin may break again. Anybody knows a good machine shop that would make a better and strong firing pin? I'm all ears! Thanks Jaime

Wise Lite Arms
September 22, 2009, 02:18 AM
Go ahead and shoot your Sterling as much as you want!
We have manufactured/delivered thousands of these guns and what you experienced with your firing pin is definitely not "normal".
If you do experience any further problems with your Sterling please contact me at the "INFO" account and we will take a closer look at what is going on.
Don't avoid enjoying your firearm for fear of a problem, WLA does stand behind what we make!

Regards,
Richard C. Hamer

AmEngRifles
September 26, 2009, 09:22 AM
ziggymolly,

I agree with WLA. Shoot your gun! I have well over a thousand rounds through mine and no issues with any broken parts. The sear catch portion (or whatever it is called?) that is roll pinned to the firing pin itself looks a bit wobbly, but until it breaks or otherwise fails, I am not too worried.

This is not an investment piece gun (not at this point-in-time anyway), it is a shooter gun. These are fun little rifles to shoot. Don't deny yourself the FUN!

hocfutue
September 26, 2009, 11:37 PM
I would LOVE to see a pistol build for sale, similar to the construction of the PPS-43 semi-auto from Wiselite--built with the folding stock welded in the up position, and with an original barrel length. Pretty sure it'd sell better than a carbine with the goofy 16" barrel.

Sunray
September 27, 2009, 01:44 AM
"...but then I am a lefty..." Not an issue with a real Sterling. Wouldn't touch any firearm that Century had anything to do with though.

AmEngRifles
October 4, 2009, 09:59 PM
Nothing exciting to report. My Sterling has settled into an almost boringly reliable routine. I have nearly 1,000 rounds through it now with NO stoppages. A good portion has been CCI aluminum cased ammo. My gun is filthy. And yet, it just keeps on going. I can see the accuracy falling off a little and I know I desperately need to clean it. But all things considered, it is nice to know the Centruy/Wiselite reincarnation is operating in a similar fashion to it's full blooded parental unit. It is getting a bath tomorrow.

It has also become my 14 year olds' favorite gun. Not only does he think it looks cool, but he enjoys the mild recoil and ease of operation. Like father, like son.

blue german
October 11, 2009, 03:42 AM
Any plans to produce a DISPLAY barrel.... like Action Arms did for the Uzi 9mm years back. I agree the 16 1/4 inch barrel on the Sterling looks a bit GOOFY but it has to be so to make it legal. But a non-functional aluminum 'fake barrel' could be a dead ringer for the original 10 inch Sterling barrel and give it back some of the looks of the original SMG.

DillonCustoms
May 3, 2011, 11:15 PM
Ive been building custom fire arms and doing military restorations for a few years now and bought one of century arms sterling semi autos. its accurate when it feeds right and the firing pin actually engages. It took me 3 months and LOTS of hours with a micrometer and a file to fix the firing pin and feeding problems. this weapon was never designed to be a closed bolt hammer fired system; Military versions have the pin and bolt in one solid piece. Century arms version has a highly cut up drilled and modified bolt and receiver. Ive had 3 clients with the same problems ask me about putting military original parts back in it. My answer to them is hell no because the amount of cutting and grinding and modifying that needs to be done will likely mean the weapon wont fire at best, or blow up in your face at worst. the second and biggest reason is it will be an NFA regulated weapon and i don't have or want the licensing. if you want one bad enough buy a military surplus parts kit for 300 bucks and find a qualified gun smith to build you a licensed fully auto w/ semi fire selector open bolt short barrel military version.

nalioth
May 3, 2011, 11:39 PM
In short. DONT BUY ITThree years down the road, does Century even sell these any more?

Did we miss the post dates?

IslandTimes
May 4, 2011, 01:13 AM
Wiselite makes them and century sells them. Bought mine from J&G sales. Mine's pretty solid and works fine for me.

Though, I do wish I could find a gunsmith that could build me a legal full auto one of these, that would be fun...

TIMC
May 4, 2011, 08:45 AM
Oh man you drug up an old thread to trash it. Oh well while we are bringing it back to life let me say that mine works great and I am impressed with the sights and accuracy of the gun; it performed much better than I thought it would. Sounds like there are more happy owners than unhappy.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/timc/Sterling9mmpic2.jpg?t=1304513099

Boomie
May 4, 2011, 10:32 AM
+1, I love mine (Wiselite from J&G). I did replace the front sight with a fiber optic one someone on another forum was selling. Big improvement. My only complaint is I think the front site is a little crooked (and the shroud over it definately is). Not much of a problem but it throws off the aim if I switch the rear site peephole.

rtz
May 4, 2011, 04:55 PM
Three years down the road, does Century even sell these any more?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/756/products_id/411540189

Boomie
May 4, 2011, 08:30 PM
Or here;

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/p/sterling-carbine%2C-9mm-cal-by-wiselite-/products_id/3446

nalioth
May 4, 2011, 08:39 PM
I was trying to call attention to this ZOMBIE thread, w/o directly calling it a zombie thread.

It was rhetorical, sheesh.

Rileyfiveco
September 3, 2012, 03:00 AM
Some of the semi sterlings are made by masterpiece arms and wiselite-cannot speak to wiselite model but really like my sterling made by masterpiece arms- a pleasure to shoot.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Century Arms Semi-Auto Sterling 9mm SMG" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!